• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    Thank you, Peter! but i have one question to you that, as you know before this collection, i bought Film Music By Ennio Morricone, i have just discovered that there are differences in orchestrations in both the albums. For instance, Once Upon Time in the West's main theme, i can observe different way of orchestration in both compilations, so, my question is which has the original orchestration? is it whether in The Platinum Collection or in Film Music by Ennio Morricone? because i am in confusion. Are you able to follow me?

Thank you.

Sunil. smile
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil - unfortunately I can't answer your question since I don't have either album (I'm sure Peter will answer) - but I'd highly recommend you get the soundtrack album for Once Upon a Time in the West - arguably Morricone's single greatest masterpiece - and you should try to see the film too, since some (like me) would argue that it's the greatest marriage of film and music there's ever been.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009 edited
    Sunil,

good question, well done for noticing the differences.

There are 6 tracks on the "Film music by Ennio Morricone" that are not taken from the OSTs, even though they are all stunning renditions. They are:

1.The sicilian clan
    2.Chi mai
    3.A fistful of dynamite
    4.Once upon a time in the west
    5.The mission (remix)
    6.Come Maddalena

Concerning "Chi mai" and "Come Maddalena", these are from a single called "Disco '78" that were rearranged and released in '78 by Morricone himself. The originals from 1971 are quite different, especially "Come Maddalena". The "Disco '78" version of "Chi mai" was the one used in "The life and times of David Lloyd George" and "Le professionel" which reached no.1 on the UK single chart.

About "A fistful of dynamite" I remember reading somewhere that this version was recorded for the UK release of the soundtrack/movie, but take this with a grain of salt, as I'm not entirely sure.

Morricone also released some album with rearrangements in the 70s or 80s, that I can't remember the name of, that I believe contained other rearrangements from "Once upon a time in the west", "Sacco & Vanzetti" and "Gott mit uns". Still, my memory is kinda shaky here as well, so apply the salt treatment again.

I remember asking about these differences several years ago on the Morricone discussion board, but somehow I've forgotten most of the answers I got. shame

I think all the 6 rearrangements on the album are so amazing that they might as well have come from the OSTs. This is rare with Morricone, since 99% of Morricone-rearrangements never manage to capture the same sound and genius of the original recordings. I've in fact ripped "The mission" to my computer, and as track 21 I have also ripped "The mission (remix)", likewise with "Once upon a time in the west". They are so good that they deserve to be with the rest.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I still have the 45rpm Chi-Mai / Come Maddelena single somewhere.

I played it to death ( back in 78 too )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Cool!

I just love the "Come Maddalena" version. While this disco version might sound dated to some ears today, it just has a unique sounds and a unique arrangement. The original is also great, albeit odd. It starts out slow and rather dull but over 9 minutes evolves into a fantastic piece of music.

Peter cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed it does Peter, I bought the soundtrack album of Come Maddelena many many years after I'd gotten that 45.

I still love it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    *starts to really like Timmer thumbs

I love the Maddalena soundtrack too, two extraordinary themes and weeeee-eeeeird, but strangely listenable, hypnotic and erotic suspense cues.

A shame it isn 't longer though.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Lots of cool info there, Peter! Thanks!

plindboe wrote
    Cool!

I just love the "Come Maddalena" version. While this disco version might sound dated to some ears today, it just has a unique sounds and a unique arrangement. The original is also great, albeit odd. It starts out slow and rather dull but over 9 minutes evolves into a fantastic piece of music.

I think this is the same version that's on The Magic World of Ennio Morricone? That's the one I had a while back.

Oh, man! I bought the Saimel expanded release of Maddalena, and the suspense stuff along with the gasping and sighing made me sell it off. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BhelPuri wrote
    I think this is the same version that's on The Magic World of Ennio Morricone? That's the one I had a while back.

Yes, I have that compilation too. It's indeed the OST version, although it's cut short. The OST version is 9:14 while the magic world one is 4:39.

BhelPuri wrote
    Oh, man! I bought the Saimel expanded release of Maddalena, and the suspense stuff along with the gasping and sighing made me sell it off. shame

Oh my. face-palm-mt

I normally dislike Morricone's suspense stuff, but the stuff on Maddalena is actually rather melodic and cool. Plus, that album has two of the greatest film score tracks ever composed.

A part of me hopes that you're starting to regret it. wink

Peter baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    This is a pretty cool live version of "Come Maddalena": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BhAFl-uHpY

Peter smile
  1. Timmer wrote

Seems so long ago, was that 1978 or 78 r.p.m. you're talking about Tim? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I'm taking on the daunting task of listening to the samples of every non-compilation CD of film scores by Morricone, vai ScreenArchives.com, and writing anything down that interests me. 235 scores with his name listed there. Probably about 90 with samples.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. justin boggan wrote
    I'm taking on the daunting task of listening to the samples of every non-compilation CD of film scores by Morricone, vai ScreenArchives.com, and writing anything down that interests me. 235 scores with his name listed there. Probably about 90 with samples.

Good luck!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Seems so long ago, was that 1978 or 78 r.p.m. you're talking about Tim? wink

78rpm....only Tom remembers those! shocked wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I think all the 6 rearrangements on the album are so amazing that they might as well have come from the OSTs. This is rare with Morricone, since 99% of Morricone-rearrangements never manage to capture the same sound and genius of the original recordings. I've in fact ripped "The mission" to my computer, and as track 21 I have also ripped "The mission (remix)", likewise with "Once upon a time in the west". They are so good that they deserve to be with the rest.

Peter

Thanks for the information, my friend! I do admire both the arrangements. In fact, i have no problem at all, but i was so curious to know which one has got original orchestration. That's all. I am very glad to own both compilations. But only one thing is dissatisfying that these compilation doesn't have his modern scores of 90's and 2000's. Moreover, my favorite The Exorcist:The Heretic theme music is also missing in these both compilation. This is really saddening me. Peter, do you know in any other compilation which has Morricone's The Exorcist theme music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Southall wrote
    Sunil - unfortunately I can't answer your question since I don't have either album (I'm sure Peter will answer) - but I'd highly recommend you get the soundtrack album for Once Upon a Time in the West - arguably Morricone's single greatest masterpiece - and you should try to see the film too, since some (like me) would argue that it's the greatest marriage of film and music there's ever been.

Pretty bold statement James
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  4. After at least two hours (maybe more), the results are in from my journey through countless samples from ScreenArchives.com. The results (should it interest anybody remotely):

Good enough to where I'll probably buy one day:
    "Come In Girotondo"
    "Cosi Come Sei"
    "Gino Bartali (didn't finish writing the name out"
    "Il Fondo Al Cuore"
    "Matrimonio Con Vizietto"
    "Metti Una Sera"
    "Milano Odia:" (didn't finish writing the name out)
    "Missus"
    "Revolver" (perhaps the most interesting find)
    "Ruba Al Prossimo Tuo"

MAYBE:
    "La Fidanzata"
    "La Provinciale"
    "La Taratola"
    "Autopsy" (American film name)
    "Metello"
    "Pane E Liberta"
    "Questa Specie D'amore"
    "Scusi, Facciamo L'amore"
    "Tepepa"
    "An Italian Story" (American film name)
    "Uomini E No"
    Violenza Quinto Potere" (which sounds like a crummy LP transfer)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Dude! Wouldn't it be easier to just list some tracks you like and some that you don't. And ask Peter, James and other Ennio fans for recommendations. SAE's samples are not at all representative of the score (especially the Italian ones).
  5. Because that would be a task onto itself for members, what with the count of scores Morricone has done, and also ... considering some member worship the ground Zimemr walks on, and love scores I have said are bad, I just can't go with just anybody's opinion on a score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    I'm taking on the daunting task of listening to the samples of every non-compilation CD of film scores by Morricone, vai ScreenArchives.com, and writing anything down that interests me. 235 scores with his name listed there. Probably about 90 with samples.

Holy crap! Quite an endevour!

Peter punk

PS.Of course you can always ask me, as I have them all.
  6. Three posts above yours are the results.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009
    Sunil wrote
    Thanks for the information, my friend! I do admire both the arrangements. In fact, i have no problem at all, but i was so curious to know which one has got original orchestration. That's all.

I know. I felt the same curiousity when I first realized the differences. smile

Sunil wroteBut only one thing is dissatisfying that these compilation doesn't have his modern scores of 90's and 2000's.

Indeed, it has almost has none of his newer material. The only newer tracks are "La Ragion Pura" (2001) (a track that hasn't been released anywhere else), "Canone Inverso" (2000) and "Uomo proiettile" (1995). He has composed so many amazing scores, especially in the late 90s and early 2000's that I think more pieces should have been included.

Sunil wroteMoreover, my favorite The Exorcist:The Heretic theme music is also missing in these both compilation. This is really saddening me. Peter, do you know in any other compilation which has Morricone's The Exorcist theme music?

It's strange indeed since this is such a favourite of so many film score fans but it almost never seems to appear on compilations. I'm not aware of any Morricone compilations it appears on.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    After at least two hours (maybe more), the results are in from my journey through countless samples from ScreenArchives.com. The results (should it interest anybody remotely):

"Come In Girotondo"
    "Cosi Come Sei"
    "Il Fondo Al Cuore"
    "Metti Una Sera"
    "Missus"
    "Ruba Al Prossimo Tuo"

MAYBE:
    "La Fidanzata"
    "La Provinciale"
    "La Taratola"
    "Metello"
    "Pane E Liberta"
    "Questa Specie D'amore"
    "Tepepa"
    "Uomini E No"

In my opinion, the must-haves from the above list are

"Cosi Come Sei"
    "Metti Una Sera"
    "Revolver"
    "Questa Specie D'amore"

Other good scores are

"Pane E Liberta"
    "Milano Odia:"
    "Tepepa"

Other than that, I think many of the other scores might disappoint. There are also several I haven't heard in a while, so I can't really comment on them other than to say that they haven't made a lasting first impression.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009
    Peter,
    No love for Gino Bartali L'Intramontabile? I totally dig the fun main theme and the more-melodic-than-usual effort.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I like it, Bhel. It's a good score that's melodic all the way through. My main concern is that it doesn't really have any themes that blows one's socks off. It's simply nice listening music throughout, but nothing spectacular, i.e. Morricone light.

But who knows, more listens might change my mind.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    In my opinion, the must-haves from the above list are

"Cosi Come Sei"
    "Metti Una Sera"
    "Revolver"
    "Questa Specie D'amore"

And in my opinion, Questa Specie D'amore is the best of the lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    It's strange indeed since this is such a favourite of so many film score fans but it almost never seems to appear on compilations. I'm not aware of any Morricone compilations it appears on.

Peter

That's pity and disappointing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote

Peter

That's pity and disappointing.

Do you have the piece somewhere else? If not, email me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    justin boggan wrote
    After at least two hours (maybe more), the results are in from my journey through countless samples from ScreenArchives.com. The results (should it interest anybody remotely):

"Come In Girotondo"
    "Cosi Come Sei"
    "Il Fondo Al Cuore"
    "Metti Una Sera"
    "Missus"
    "Ruba Al Prossimo Tuo"

MAYBE:
    "La Fidanzata"
    "La Provinciale"
    "La Taratola"
    "Metello"
    "Pane E Liberta"
    "Questa Specie D'amore"
    "Tepepa"
    "Uomini E No"

I would recommend Missus and La Provinciale from the above list. Both are wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    MISSUS is the only one I have from that list. A nice listen (coupled with his rejected WHAT DREAMS MAY COME), but perhaps not in "blow your socks off" territory.
    I am extremely serious.