• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009
    Sunil wrote
    I would like to ask you all one question about purchasing ENNIO MORRICONE: THE PLATINUM COLLECTION.

Platinum collection. Gold collection. More Gold. Main Titles. Singles collection....
    There's a new Morricone compilation released every month! spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    Hi Peter,

Yesterday, i once again visited music shop near to my place for the ENNIO MORRICONE: THE PLATINUM COLLECTION, but shopkeeper said it would take another two weeks to reach their shop. Hmmmm... my ears were so thirsty and hungry to listen to Morricone's music. Very fortunately, i have discovered a gem of Morricone's collection, yes, it is "FILM MUSIC BY ENNIO MORRICONE". I say it has some excellent works of Morricone and i would like to share my opinion about my listening experience to this CD.

1. Good, The Bad And The Ugly, The (From The Film Of The Same Name)- I have listened to this so many times in cassette, but its great in listening in CD for the first time in my life.

2. Sicillian Clan, The (From The Film Of The Same Name) - Hmmm... i need time to appreciate this piece of music.

3. Chi Mai (The Life And Times Of David Lloyd George) - BBC TV - Excellent piece of work. I like this one.

4. Man With The Harmonica, The (From The Film "Once Upon A Time In The West")- Great one from Morricone, excellent choral work and orchestration.

5. La Califfa (From The Film "Lady Caliph") - very beautiful and haunting track.

6. Gabriels Oboe (From The Film "The Mission") - Magnificent.

7. A Fistful Of Dynamite, A (From The Film Of The Same Name) - Excellent theme music.

8. Once Upon A Time In The West (Main Theme) (From The Film Of The Same Name) - Very beautiful indeed! this particular gives me great pleasure that i can't explain.

9. Cockey's Song (From The Film "Once Upon A Time In America") - Beautiful, especially panpipe sound just haunts me.

10. Mission, The (Remix) (From The Film "The Mission") - Oh yeah, magnificent track of this CD. Now i can recognize that this particular music has been used in "Braveheart" theatrical trailer music. Awesome!

11. Come Maddelena (From The Film "Maddalena") - Excellent choral work

12. Moses Theme (From The Film "Moses The Lawgiver") - very good theme

13. Falls, The (From The Film "The Mission") - very haunting flute sound.

14. My Name Is Nobody (From The Film Of The Same Name) - different but good

15. Le Vent, Le Cri (From The Film "The Professional") - i say this one is highlight of the CD. I like this track very much because the way it has been composed and orchestrated. First it starts off with solo piano and then accompanied by violins and orchestra. Brilliant! simply classic.

16. Deborah's Theme (From The Film "Once Upon A Time In America") - Very good melodious track.

Overall, its great CD, i could consider this as my greatest collection ever. In fact, right now, my hunger and thirst has grown ever more wilder for that platinum collection. i can't wait.

Have a nice day!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Sunil wrote

Very fortunately, i have discovered a gem of Morricone's collection, yes, it is "FILM MUSIC BY ENNIO MORRICONE".

That looks like a decent 1cd collection. Hope it wasn't expensive. There are many budget priced 2cd compilations out there. This one is awesome
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Oh yeah, price is really cheap and nice. I am very glad that i purchased in low price. However, i don't care about the price, all i care about the quality of music and CD. That's want i am expecting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I checked out the "Very Best Of Ennio Morricone" CD by Virgin Records recently. Quite a good collection of cues from his scores, very enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    What I also find a bit boring is that they always choose the same tracks for Morricone compiliations. The good man wrote such an immense volume of scores that there is so much unknown stuff out there to make 100 compilation cd's.

If I would make one it would included stuff like Red Sonja, Padre Pio, Secret of the Sahara etc. and not another selection of spagetti westerns. Because we already have so many compiliations of that. But I guess there is no mass market for that kind of stuff... even though its great stuff.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Red Sonja, Padre Pio, Secret of the Sahara .... such great scores indeed, everybody's familiar with the Spaghetti Western material but not so much with his gorgeous, lesser known scores.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    What do you think about Morricone's The Thing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Wow Sunil,

the CD you got there is the reason that I'm the greatest Morricone fanatic on the planet today. "Film music by Ennio Morricone" was the second Morricone CD I ever bought, and it's the one that transformed my entire outlook on music. Whenever I listen to any of those 16 tracks today, 11 years later, it takes me back to those early special days of discovery. And despite having listened to those 16 tracks countless times I enjoy each one today as much as ever.

I liked that you wrote your opinion of all the tracks individually. I hope you will also come to appreciate "The sicilian clan" after some listens, as it's one of my alltime favourite tracks.

Peter spin

Now playing: "Film music by Ennio Morricone"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

Not one that I listen to very often. Timmer loves it, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    That looks like a decent 1cd collection. Hope it wasn't expensive. There are many budget priced 2cd compilations out there. This one is awesome

Indeed it is. The CD that Sunil got is actually based on that "1966-1987" compilation you link to. Also a fun fact was that Morricone himself chose the 33 tracks that were to go on that album. It was due to the popularity of that former release, that the "Film music by Ennio Morricone", which chose the 16 biggest hits from it, was released.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I do and it's BRILLIANT! ( though I can see why it wouldn't be to many peoples taste )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. http://www.nedboyle.com/NedBoyle.com/Co … icone.html

Is it just me, of does he sound increasingly angry as the interview goes on?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I do and it's BRILLIANT! ( though I can see why it wouldn't be to many peoples taste )

I love it too. It's just so bleak and I can't think how anyone could compose something that could exhibit more bleakness!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    http://www.nedboyle.com/NedBoyle.com/Co … icone.html

Is it just me, of does he sound increasingly angry as the interview goes on?

I didn't listen to it all, just skimmed it, but I don't think so, no. Just your average "passionate Italian dude". Many Southern European people sound a bit "angry" to outsiders, I guess.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009 edited
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ye_YUNJVI

Red Sonja.... starting from 6:00 - minutes into the clip onwards... pure gold!!! Gorgeous love theme, love the strings. (but what a crappy recording - sound wise) During the 8:42 and 9:09 marks , some cool beat... and then these strings rising - dropping - rising... really nice work Morricone! This is why I love filmmusic, stuff like that!

And stuff like this you will seldom find on a typical commercial morricone compilation cd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIdTlR_j … re=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vztNEgtc … re=related

Groovy, surreal and sexy, yeah baby.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009
    plindboe wrote
    Sunil,

I just went to Amazon to check out what album you meant, and I must say that you've chosen an excellent compilation. It's a great compilation to get to know Morricone better, as it not only contains many of his most famous themes, but also has some of his more quirky and obscure selections.

I also listened to the samples and all the tracks are from the OSTs, which is an important thing with Ennio, as there are many Morricone compilations out there performed by crappy orchestras.

I hope you'll tell us how you like it when you've listened to it.

Peter smile

I have this Platinum collection, great selection, some well known scores and some lesser known ones. There are a handful of tracks that I can live without though. You know, Morricone can write some nice stuff, but sometimes he writes stuff that makes you cringe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Talos wrote
    Nothing special guys but I enjoyed listening while almost asleep to Morricone's score for "Padre Pio" (an Italian TV movie about a saint monk)

What a nice relaxing score this is, some fine string work/melody too. (it even has one of those irritating electronic only tracks... that one sux, but the rest of the score is very nice)

You've inspired me to give "Padre Pio" another listen. It's been a long time since, and I remember it to be a great score, a 4 or a 4½ rating.

Perhaps by "one of those irritating electronic only tracks" you mean the repetitive harpsichord track? I love that one. It took me ages to realize that the melody is Dies Irae. Normally when one hears Dies Irae it's performed in a somber and dark way, but this buoyant and good-natured performance just transforms the melody into something beyond recognition.

Peter spin

Yes, that's the one... its repeating over and over and over... brrr... don't like it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009
    Talos wrote
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ye_YUNJVI

Red Sonja.... starting from 6:00 - minutes into the clip onwards... pure gold!!! Gorgeous love theme, love the strings. (but what a crappy recording - sound wise) During the 8:42 and 9:09 marks , some cool beat... and then these strings rising - dropping - rising... really nice work Morricone! This is why I love filmmusic, stuff like that!

And stuff like this you will seldom find on a typical commercial morricone compilation cd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIdTlR_j … re=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vztNEgtc … re=related

Groovy, surreal and sexy, yeah baby.

I absolutely love the score to RED SONJA, I'd love to see it re-released, re-mastered and with separate tracks instead of it being in suite form.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009
    Seems that Morricone's concert this weekend in Los Angeles has been cancelled. Feel sorry for those who were due to attend. I know some people who were flying a long way to get there. Hope Morricone isn't ill or something, but if not then it's poor show - he's cancelled a few too many concerts at the last minute for my liking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cripes! That sucks, especially for all those people over at FSM (or any Morricone fans in the US, really) who were going and looking forward to it with immense glee. What is it with Morricone and last-minute cancellations, anyway?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    plindboe wrote
    Talos wrote
    Nothing special guys but I enjoyed listening while almost asleep to Morricone's score for "Padre Pio" (an Italian TV movie about a saint monk)

What a nice relaxing score this is, some fine string work/melody too. (it even has one of those irritating electronic only tracks... that one sux, but the rest of the score is very nice)

You've inspired me to give "Padre Pio" another listen. It's been a long time since, and I remember it to be a great score, a 4 or a 4½ rating.

Perhaps by "one of those irritating electronic only tracks" you mean the repetitive harpsichord track? I love that one. It took me ages to realize that the melody is Dies Irae. Normally when one hears Dies Irae it's performed in a somber and dark way, but this buoyant and good-natured performance just transforms the melody into something beyond recognition.

Peter spin

By the way how is the movie Peter?
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009
    sdtom wrote
    By the way how is the movie Peter?

"Padre Pio"? I don't know. Never seen it. I've probably only watched about 5% of the Morricone-scorred movies I own the scores to.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Hi Everybody,

I have recently read an article about Maestro Ennio Morricone, this is quite amazing to read. I hope you all read it and you will find this one as very interesting.

http://www.laweekly.com/2009-10-22/musi … -s-impact/

By the way, 2 days to go to collect my ENNIO MORRICONE: THE PLATINUM COLLECTION, OMG! i can't wait. smile
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009 edited
    I like reading articles on Morricone, but I can't see what makes this so amazing. It's not exactly the first time filmmakers and other composers talk about why they love Morricone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm sorry Peter I was wondering about The 5 Man Army. I vaguely remember it when it first came out.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009
    but I can't see what makes this so amazing.

Maybe, its for me alone. wink biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009
    Sunil wrote
    but I can't see what makes this so amazing.

Maybe, its for me alone. wink biggrin

No, I appreciated it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009
    Oh! yes, at last, i received my ENNIO MORRICONE: THE PLATINUM COLLECTION. Wow! it is just amazing. I don't have words to describe about it. Yesterday, i spent more than 3 hours to listen to this compilation. Of course, there are some tracks which i need time to appreciate it but i am completely satisfied with presentation of CDs. It has very good sound quality. However, i just need two more time to listen to this collection and i will express my opinion for each and every track in this wonderful box set. As of now, i am quite happy with it.

After very long time, i am quite pleased with this purchase. Very very excellent and satisfying. And of course, people who don't have this box set, i strongly recommend to go for it. Its really worth buying. I believe very limited stocks are available. So, please hurry and don't hesitate.

All the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009
    Woohoo Sunil! It sounds like another morriconian is born. beer

I just went to Amazon to hear the album again, and I just love the selections. It has many of his most famous themes, but it also has some excellent obscure themes that almost never make it to compilation albums (Corleone, Canone inverso, Via mala, Thieves after dark etc.).

I'm looking very much forward to reading your opinions of the individual tracks.

Peter smile