• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009
    Is there a decent compilation of Morricone's works? (Which doesn't limit itself to his most famous works?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm sure Peter will know of one. All the Morricone compilations I have do tend to focus on his famous things. One of the great things about them, though, is that they can be so different. Eg there's the Yo-Yo Ma one, I have one with many of his famous themes rearranged for string quartet (though I can't find it at the moment, sadly), and there are the concert arrangement ones. So even though they're the famous themes, they're completely fresh versions of them.

Now, over to Peter to suggest a good compilation which doesn't just focus on the famous things!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Oh, I stíll need to pick up that Yo-Yo Ma CD, that's right - thanks for reminding me!
    If I remember correctly though, there was some confusion over the differences between the releases of that CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That YO-YO-MA plays Ennio Morricone CD is probably one of worthiest musical works i've ever bought on album. There isn't a single inferior moment, all is top-played, top-recorded and very emotional material.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    fommes wrote
    Oh, I stíll need to pick up that Yo-Yo Ma CD, that's right - thanks for reminding me!
    If I remember correctly though, there was some confusion over the differences between the releases of that CD.

There was a version released in certain shops in America which had a couple of bonus tracks. I don't think you can get that version any more. They're nice (if I remember right, arrangements of The Mission and Legend of 1900 for cello and piano) but not essential.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer,

it's a great score, highly listenable from start to end. I only have the 10 track release for the moment (there's also one with 16 tracks). Normally on Morricone albums there are some tracks that are not only weak, but are annoying as hell to listen to. Not so with this album, which goes from one melodic track to the next. The music is good-natured and the main theme is pure Morricone magic.

I rate it ****. Not a masterpiece, but certainly a must-have for any Morricone fan.

You can listen to the main theme here.
    And this clip from the movie features a few tracks as well (there's music from 0:00 to 1:13 and music and tits from 5:59 to 6:53).

Peter smile

Thanks Peter ( and Keky ), I picked it up this morning, it's the 16 track version and only cost me £5. I'll give it a listen later smile

p.s. The breasts in the clip were exceptional cool lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    fommes wrote
    Is there a decent compilation of Morricone's works? (Which doesn't limit itself to his most famous works?)

I think the best to start with is "Film music 1966-1987". It has some famous ones, but also several of his great obscure ones. After that, the DRG "Main titles" collection, i.e. "Main titles, volume 1", "Singles collection, volume 2", "Main titles, volume 3" are a great way to proceed, containing many little known but extraordinary themes. The "Ennio Morricone collection" consists of other compilations containing obscure stuff. The best ones are "Love themes", "Spaghetti western" and "Time of adventure". There are almost no overlaps in these six albums, and they are practically the path I followed in my noob Morricone days.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Thanks Peter ( and Keky ), I picked it up this morning, it's the 16 track version and only cost me £5. I'll give it a listen later smile

Whoa! That's quite a bargain. Tell us later if you liked it.

Timmer wrotep.s. The breasts in the clip were exceptional cool lick

Hehe, indeed. They are one of the yummiest pairs I've ever seen. licklick

Peter wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Hehe, indeed. They are one of the yummiest pairs I've ever seen. licklick

Peter wave

I hope you're being ironic. Those saggy things?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    They looked yummy and au naturale to me Thor lick cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote

No, I think they are pure yum.

The only way boobs that size can be less saggy, is via implants. Natural boobs look and bounce so much better.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Agree; nothing better than good, round natural boobs. :yummy:
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote

shocked

NICE tits, indeed.

Never thought my first post in the Morricone thread would be about boobs.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

The only way boobs that size can be less saggy, is via implants.

Well, speak for yourself! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Are YOU tellin' ME you wouldn't give them mamas a good juggle? tongue rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote

shocked

NICE tits, indeed.

Never thought my first post in the Morricone thread would be about boobs.

Yeah mon beer cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Agree; nothing better than good, round natural boobs. :yummy:

What I said to Marcel's post cool beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This thread is turning all mondo Morricone biggrin cheesy cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote

biggrin

Never heard that:"to give them mamas a good juggle". I´ll never forget it.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Ehm...yeah. Not my "thing", those breasts. But knock yourselves out! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    She could attempt to give me black eyes anytime punk cool
  1. Southall wrote
    The new Tornatore film Baaria has opened the Venice Film Festival. So far I have been unable to find a single review of the film which doesn't mention Morricone's score. And so far I have been unable to find any mention of it getting a soundtrack release. Surely it will..?

It seems there will be a score release: http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=12832
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009 edited
    plindboe wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    The furious violins of Breathlessly & Secret of the Sahara? That's a killer combo. I want!

Believe me, this track is not as good as my description might sound. wink I've mailed it to you though. Hope you'll enjoy it more than I do.

Got it! Grazie! I like it but yeah I see what you mean.

Great! Besides the track I mentioned though it's not the most interesting score, so don't get your hopes up too high. But luckily with Morricone, there're always a few gems here and there, no matter how grim the rest of the score is.

Just started listening to Resolution 819. There's a big Lontano (Gott mit uns) hangover eh? Although the little layers he adds ends up making the first track very good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009
    Saw mention of this at FSM earlier. Was waiting for the confirmation and here it is-

Ennio Morricone at the Hollywood Bowl on Oct 25th
    shocked

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0B004 … rcatid=203
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I wish... I wish! I do hope he does another UK concert (preferably without rip-off prices this time).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    How much did you pay James? I've only been to one Morricone concert, at the Barbican in 2001, our tickets were £17.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote
    How much did you pay James? I've only been to one Morricone concert, at the Barbican in 2001, our tickets were £17.

That is an incredible deal for a Morricone concert!

I remember paying $125 for the Radio City, NY concert. What hurt the most was that we got the pre-sale tickets which turned out to be seats for the second mezzanine while the regular sale tickets had nice orchestra seats for nearly the same price. I call that a scam. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

I didn't go to the most recent one. I think the cheapest tickets were £80. I'll be gutted if he never does another one though.

Tickets for the Hollywood Bowl concert are reportedly going to be $325!
  2. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I didn't go to the most recent one. I think the cheapest tickets were £80. I'll be gutted if he never does another one though.

Tickets for the Hollywood Bowl concert are reportedly going to be $325!

that's bloody insane shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    325!?

Does Ennio know that?
    Kazoo