• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    Indeed! It's a friggin corking track!! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas, the fact that he likes good music doesn't make it automatically fit into his movies, at least not his recent outcome. smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009 edited
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. L'Arena in Killl Bill is a perfect match for the scene, just as it was in the climax duel of Il Mercenario. But some other cues feel recycled and don't feel right for certain scenes, no matter how good the music is and how much he envisioned this be an ode to something.

Un Amico, one of my favourite cues of one of my favourite Morricone scores will never quite be the same. Not because I wouldn't enjoy it anymore, but because most people who never heard the score before will keep remembering to it as something that Tarantino chose.

I have some mixed feelings about it. We could also say that so many filmmakers put in existing score as an ode or whatever and end up hiring someone to write an original scores. I've seen so many fantastic temp score versions of films or heard about how people envisioned some sequences with certain music, that I feel it's not something that Tarantino excells in.

So let's tak about something else wink

I'm trying to track all the new releases of Morricone scores, but sometimes seem to have missed something. Is there a website that lists all (new) releases. I know we've got soundtrackcollector, but even by using google, it's not the greatest way of finding out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Joep wrote
    I'm trying to track all the new releases of Morricone scores, but sometimes seem to have missed something. Is there a website that lists all (new) releases. I know we've got soundtrackcollector, but even by using google, it's not the greatest way of finding out.

If you look at the forum at www.enniomorricone.it, there's always news about the new releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    And that extraordinary track is the highlight of that extraordinary album, which is a highlight of Morricone's extraordinary career. (If you ask me.)

Timmer wrote
    Indeed! It's a friggin corking track!! punk

punkbeer punk

Joep wrote

You could also subscribe to the Morricone newsletter. Always lists the new releases, with reviews.

http://www.enniomorricone.it/forum/view … &t=297

I can take some photos of it and upload them if you want to see how it looks.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    But isn't there a page similair to IMDB?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009
    plindboe wrote
    You could also subscribe to the Morricone newsletter. Always lists the new releases, with reviews.

http://www.enniomorricone.it/forum/view … &t=297

I can take some photos of it and upload them if you want to see how it looks.

Peter smile

Sounds like a cool mag. I'd like to be aware of the new releases and reviews. I used to get most of the new releases (melodic) sometime back but I hit Ennio-saturation a year or so ago.
    Does this mag come as an online version?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BhelPuri wrote
    Sounds like a cool mag. I'd like to be aware of the new releases and reviews. I used to get most of the new releases (melodic) sometime back but I hit Ennio-saturation a year or so ago.
    Does this mag come as an online version?

Great to hear you're interested, Bhel! True morriconians subscribe to MSV. wink

It is only offline, i.e. a physical version, each like a little book. But isn't that neater, to have the actual copy? I have mine on my Morricone alter, standing next to the Morricone Musicography.

They are quite cheap, but they also only come about every third month or something, depending on Martin van Wouw's time and how many articles he's received from other morriconians.

Here's info:

MSV – The Ennio Morricone Society (since March 1980)
    Within Europe the subscription price is €20 for 5 issues (p&p included)
    Outside Europe the subscription price is €20 for 4 issues (p&p included)
    Publisher: Martin van Wouw (mvwouw@worldonline.nl)

So You can send Martin a mail and hear about it. If you prefer to have an online version only, it might be possible to get it over mail. Can't hurt asking.

Peter beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009 edited
    I took a bunch of pictures of the newsletter for you Bhelpuri, and others curious to see what it is about. The pictures should be big enough to read.

First my Morricone worship alter, placed under my rather disorganized Morricone collection
    Opening a newsletter
    Usually starts with the latest news, and then goes into the latest releases, with frank descriptions of the music
    Concert experiences
    Sheet music
    Reviews, articles, analyses etc.

Peter wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    plindboe wrote
    I took a bunch of pictures of the newsletter for you Bhelpuri, and others curious to see what it is about. The pictures should be big enough to read.

Thanks dude! That was very helpful.
    I'll contact Martin and see what's best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009
    Almost 3 years ago I was at this concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCEAQWu7yN4

Hole crap it's strange to watch that again and thinking of me sitting back there. It's pure torture that the clip is only 7 seconds. I will probable never see any more of it than those 7 seconds.

Peter spinslantsad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    plindboe wrote

True morriconians subscribe to MSV. wink

Reminds me of my Manowar years biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    Manowar shocked

shame <--for you D wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009
    ... listened to Marco Polo... again. Great score.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    What websites have a lot of Ennio Morricone CD reviews?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    None.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I like Southall's reviews on movie-wave.net. He actually has quite a lot for Morricone. I was just wondering if there were any other websites that gave any attention to Morricone.
  1. There will be quite a few buried in the old musicfromthemovies website. They did an epic Morricone issue a few years back which featured a LOT of reviews.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009
    The new Tornatore film Baaria has opened the Venice Film Festival. So far I have been unable to find a single review of the film which doesn't mention Morricone's score. And so far I have been unable to find any mention of it getting a soundtrack release. Surely it will..?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    (Some of the words used about the score in reviews of the film: soaring, beautiful, stunning...)
  2. What have been the Morricone scores worth getting since the last Tornatore score? I found myself wondering why I hadn't heard much buzz about anything since LA SCONOSCIUTA.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    The new Tornatore film Baaria has opened the Venice Film Festival.

Pretty much the only movie and score I was anticipating/interested for this year.

franz_conrad wrote
    What have been the Morricone scores worth getting since the last Tornatore score? I found myself wondering why I hadn't heard much buzz about anything since LA SCONOSCIUTA.

Surely, you've heard Pane E Liberta? I also like the fun score to Tutte le donne della mia vita. There are a couple of others which I haven't got (L'ultimo dei Corleonesi & Résolution 819). Perhaps Peter will chime in about them.
  3. Thanks Bhel. I do have CORLEONESI. I haven't played it very often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Pane E Liberta is beautiful. Risoluzione 819 is also worth getting, I think. It's not spectacular though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    What have been the Morricone scores worth getting since the last Tornatore score? I found myself wondering why I hadn't heard much buzz about anything since LA SCONOSCIUTA.

Morricone has been touring alot lately, so we haven't seen much new material. sad Since "La sconosciuta" I guess the only new compositions are:

"Tutte le donne della mia vita" - Light and cheesy, with several melodies. The love theme is wonderful, the rest is nice and unoffensive, but also unspectacular.

"L'ultimo dei corleonesi" - Too dark and suspensy for me, and probably for most score fans. It has a few stand out tracks I like though (1, 2, 14). Especially track 2 is a real gem.

"I Demoni di San Pietroburgo" - Remains unreleased. I've got an mp3 from it, which I believe is the end title music, and it sounds like the love child between "Secret of the Sahara" and "Breathlessly" from "A pure formality". I'm not sure the score has much to offer, since this end title track doesn't really excite me.

"Resolution 819" - I haven't listened to this one much. It has alot of suspense, but it's not as dark and violent as "L'ultimo dei corleonesi". It also has some beautiful stuff, especially the sublime track called "Clara".

"Pane e libertà" - This score is a must-have. Filled with melody from beginning to end, all of high quality. This score reminds me of the masterpiece "Il cuore nel pozzo" from 2005. Stuff like this is why Morricone is my favourite composer.

"Lancia Delta" (Commercial) - The Richard Gere commercial I linked to earlier in this thread. A single was released on itunes called "Verso est". It has some gorgeous highlights, but drags a bit in the middle.

"Mediaset Premium" (Commercial) - Sounds like a cheap copy of the famous "End title" from "The untouchables". Not really catchy, but has some of the same grandness to it.

"Baaria" - Not released yet. The movie has just premiered, so it shouldn't take long. The music from the trailer sounds great. Everything I've heard about this score promises emotional and entertaining music.

"Mi ricordo di Anna Frank" - The music is done, but neither movie or music is released yet. Lots of morriconians are looking forward to it. Morricone has said he was deeply touched by the movie, and has promised something special.

In conclusion, since "La sconosciuta", I think "Pane e libertà" is probably the only one I would recommend to everyone. The other releases all have something to offer, but I'd recommend them only for Morricone fanatics and completists.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    plindboe wrote
    "I Demoni di San Pietroburgo" - Remains unreleased. I've got an mp3 from it, which I believe is the end title music, and it sounds like the love child between "Secret of the Sahara" and "Breathlessly" from "A pure formality". I'm not sure the score has much to offer, since this end title track doesn't really excite me.

The furious violins of Breathlessly & Secret of the Sahara? That's a killer combo. I want!

"Resolution 819" - I haven't listened to this one much. It has alot of suspense, but it's not as dark and violent as "L'ultimo dei corleonesi". It also has some beautiful stuff, especially the sublime track called "Clara".

Cool! Turns out (thanks to Gmail search) I do have Resolution 819 but haven't opened it. I'm opening it as soon as I get home.

"Pane e libertà" - This score is a must-have. Filled with melody from beginning to end, all of high quality. This score reminds me of the masterpiece "Il cuore nel pozzo" from 2005. Stuff like this is why Morricone is my favourite composer.

Agreed! This was my fave score of last year. So much melody! And yes there's quite a bit of Il Cuore Nel Pozzo and also some of Novecento.

Thanks for the Ennio round-up, Peter!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    The furious violins of Breathlessly & Secret of the Sahara? That's a killer combo. I want!

Believe me, this track is not as good as my description might sound. wink I've mailed it to you though. Hope you'll enjoy it more than I do.

BhelPuri wrote
    Cool! Turns out (thanks to Gmail search) I do have Resolution 819 but haven't opened it. I'm opening it as soon as I get home.

Great! Besides the track I mentioned though it's not the most interesting score, so don't get your hopes up too high. But luckily with Morricone, there're always a few gems here and there, no matter how grim the rest of the score is.

BhelPuri wrote
    Agreed! This was my fave score of last year. So much melody! And yes there's quite a bit of Il Cuore Nel Pozzo and also some of Novecento.

Indeed. Sounds like the opening theme was temp tracked with the patriotic "Novecento" theme. Luckily they are different enough to be enjoyed as two different pieces.

BhelPuri wrote
    Thanks for the Ennio round-up, Peter!

wave

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009
    Peter, what is IL LADRONE like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer,

it's a great score, highly listenable from start to end. I only have the 10 track release for the moment (there's also one with 16 tracks). Normally on Morricone albums there are some tracks that are not only weak, but are annoying as hell to listen to. Not so with this album, which goes from one melodic track to the next. The music is good-natured and the main theme is pure Morricone magic.

I rate it ****. Not a masterpiece, but certainly a must-have for any Morricone fan.

You can listen to the main theme here.
    And this clip from the movie features a few tracks as well (there's music from 0:00 to 1:13 and music and tits from 5:59 to 6:53).

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I agree, Il Ladrone is wonderful. The main theme is catchy and funny and there are also slow-moving, emotional tracks on the album. I have the new edition of the CD, and it's worth every dollar, I assure you, Timmer.