• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hi everybody,

I have just ordered my tickets to go to the Ennio Morricone concert this April in London. Although I consider myself a fan, I'm not an Ennio connaisseur. I would love to get the input from the real Ennio-nuts (no insult intended) to brush up on my Ennio classics. I know I enjoy a concert always more when I know the pieces being played, than when I come in 'blind'.

So what do you think I can expect to hear at the concert, and what do I need to listen to again?
    What do i need to listen to anyway, even if it is probably not going to be played that night?

Thanks already in advance,

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010 edited
    Hi Elin! Welcome to the forum. smile

I'm the resident Ennio-nut. I don't think I'm going to the concert, but who knows, plans might change. I hope and expect you and the other maintitlers will have a great experience.

Morricone nearly always performs "On Earth as it is in Heaven" from "The mission", often as the grand finale, or as an encore. Sometimes he plays a suite from the score, but that means he often incorporates some dissonance as well. This gorgeous suite is a real goodie though, with "Gabriel's oboe", "The falls" and "Earth as it is in Heaven".

If you're lucky you'll get a suite from "The legend of 1900". He doesn't perform it often, but it's just such a treat to hear live.

The very obscure, but super romantic and extraordinary "Addio monti" from "I promessi di sposi" sometimes appears in concerts as well.

He often plays "Come Maddalena", which is one of my alltime favourite Morricone themes, but it doesn't always work so well live.

The main theme from "The sicilian clan" is often played. Like "Come maddalena" it doesn't always work live, and is best enjoyed on album.

The fan favourite "The ecstasy of gold" is almost always included. Usually the soprano Susanna Rigacci performs it, and she always does an amazing job. The main theme from "The good, the bad and the ugly" is sometimes played as well.

Susanna Rigacci usually performs the gorgeous main theme from "Giu' la testa" as well.

The wonderful pop main theme from "Metti, una sera a cena" is often played. I think it can appear a bit cheesy when you first hear it, especially live, but if you familiarize yourself well with it, you're bound to fall in love with it.

Sometimes he performs something from "Il deserto di tartari", but he almost never performs my favourite theme from it, performed here on piano. Instead he tends to focus on the dissonance from the score, which is a big shame in my opinion.

Often "Abolicao" from "Queimada" appears as well. Personally I don't care much about it, but some do, and Morricone must certainly be proud of it, since he incorporates it in so many concerts.

He usually does a suite with his thriller action scores, nearly always incorporating the dark and comedic main theme from "Investigation of a citizen above suspicion". It's a very famous theme, though it's an acquired taste. Coupled with this he often plays the main themes from "The battle of Algiers" and "The working class goes to heaven". Not easy on the ears, but they are ok, once you become familiar with them.

I think this about sums it up. He usually incorporates some surprises here and there, so there will no doubt be some pieces I haven't covered. Have fun familiarizing yourself with these themes.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010
    Welcome Elin!
    You just met the biggest Morricone nut on earth (Peter) punk

That's an exhaustive list from Peter. I'll only add something from Once Upon A Time In America or Casualties of War. I think the Radio City NY concert (2007) had some themes from these.

plindboe wrote

Often "Abolicao" from "Queimada" appears as well. Personally I don't care much about it, but some do, and Morricone must certainly be proud of it, since he incorporates it in so many concerts.

I love that piece. I heard it the first time at the NY concert and was blown away. He did an encore of it when we applauded like crazy.
  2. Wow,

Thank you for that list (and the youtube-links which make it extra easy for me).
    Angels seem to exist and be fans of Ennio wink

I've got my homework right now (as I only know about half of what you guys have written down here, I need to familiarize me with the other half).

I promise to report back with my opinion about them to keep the conversation going...

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  3. Casualties of War is a good pick. Morricone played this one on a concert I attended in Krakow once. Actually got me to listen to the theme, previously I've heard the score only in the (very good) movie.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Casualties of War is a good pick. Morricone played this one on a concert I attended in Krakow once. Actually got me to listen to the theme, previously I've heard the score only in the (very good) movie.

Casualties of War is an excellent score ( and yeah, I even love the moody stuff ), in fact you've helped me decide my Sunday NP.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    Welcome Elin!
    You just met the biggest Morricone nut on earth (Peter) punk

Hehe, thanks! I'm indeed quite insane when it comes to Ennio.

BhelPuri wrote
    That's an exhaustive list from Peter. I'll only add something from Once Upon A Time In America or Casualties of War. I think the Radio City NY concert (2007) had some themes from these.

You're absolutely right, these are sometimes performed as well. From "Casualties of war", it's usually the main theme, but can also be the "Elegy for Brown". From "Once upon a time in America", it's often "Deborah's theme", but it can also be the main theme.

BhelPuri wrote
    I love that piece. I heard it the first time at the NY concert and was blown away. He did an encore of it when we applauded like crazy.

Cool!

I wish I could enjoy it too. Personally I much prefer the very similar "Israel" from "Moses the lawgiver". I'm not sure why "Abolicao" doesn't do it for me, as it's obviously not the unique style of the piece that turns me off.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Wow,

Thank you for that list (and the youtube-links which make it extra easy for me).
    Angels seem to exist and be fans of Ennio wink

Awww, thanks. I love to help other morriconians on their paths of discovery. beer

Skating_Lientje wrote
    I've got my homework right now (as I only know about half of what you guys have written down here, I need to familiarize me with the other half).

I'm so jealous, that you're about to discover all these goodies. wink You're in for some great treats. You'll probably not enjoy the thriller/action suite so much, but all the others on my list have good stuff to offer.

Skating_Lientje wrote
    I promise to report back with my opinion about them to keep the conversation going...

Looking forward to it. I always find opinions and first impressions, about these pieces that I know so well, very interesting.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Casualties of War is a good pick. Morricone played this one on a concert I attended in Krakow once. Actually got me to listen to the theme, previously I've heard the score only in the (very good) movie.

Cool. Was it this performance?

Peter punk
  4. Yes, indeed. It's not my video (didn't have a camera) but I was there smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    At his concert in Hungary he also performed Cinema Paradiso - even though the Love Theme was written by his son, Andrea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, indeed. It's not my video (didn't have a camera) but I was there smile

Looks like a great concert.

I think you're lucky that so much of it has been recorded. Must be fun to see again.

I'd love to see footage from the concert I attended in London three years ago. I can only find a 7 second clip of it though. slant

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010
    Have uploaded two more suites on YouTube in my Why Ennio Morricone rules series.

Part 3 contains music from "Spasmo", "Exorcist II", the gorgeous unreleased love theme from "La ragazza e il generale" and "Il federale", Ennio's first score.
    Part 4 contains music from the unreleased "Duello nel Texas", "Milano odia" and "Il lungo silenzio".

Think I ended the fourth video a bit abruptly, but otherwise I think I made some fine suites.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010
    Uploaded part 5 too, with music from "Hundra" and "Red Sonja".

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    La Tenda Rossa (The Red Tent) is getting an expanded release with the music by
    Aleksandr Zatsepin after the Morricone score.

http://beocd.canalblog.com/archives/201 … 33314.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    I don't think this release has anything to do with Zatsepin's score, it's all Ennio. Appearently it contains 13 extra minutes of Morricone's score, the old release had 41 minutes, this one 54.

It's a wonderful Morricone score, so extra material is certainly very welcome. To anyone not familiar with the greatness of this music, listen here.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010
    Does anybody (Peter smile ) know what the music of Come un girotondo like? I can see there's a new limited edition CD of it and I like what I hear in the soundclips at screenarchives but it seems to be the same theme over and over again. Are there some additional good themes on the CD or that's it? It's a bit expensive to buy only for one theme...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010
    Indeed, keky, the old release doesn't really have more to offer than one theme. The theme is very catchy, cute, fun and very patriotic (italian style). Listen here for a full version. I will be happy to send you the mp3 if you like it.

The album also has a silly march (originally composed for "Der richter und sein henker"), which is an acquired taste, and the rest of the album is unlistenable dissonance.

The new release has 4 new tracks, but judging from the titles at least 3 of the tracks are variations of the main theme.

So not a score I recommend. I only recommend the theme, so finding it on a compilation, or by other means is my suggestion, instead of wasting money on the album.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FOR GAWDS SAKE MAKE IT ALL STOOOOOPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    And 68 minutes!!! The old release only had 40 minutes.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    Film Score Monthly has released White Dog.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm?cdID=449

For some reason I always thought that this was a giallo score with harsh music and never bothered to get it.

I'll check the samples when I get home. Is there much variety to warrant a 68 min release?

Timmer wrote
    FOR GAWDS SAKE MAKE IT ALL STOOOOOPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

dizzy Man, the releases keep coming at you faster than you can handle.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010 edited
    I know! slant Last year there was plenty of releases that I could easily pass on, unfortunately....

THIS. IS. A. MUST. HAVE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    For some reason I always thought that this was a giallo score with harsh music and never bothered to get it.

I'd say it's the exact opposite of one of his giallo scores. His giallos usually have a single highly melodic, immediately catchy theme, with the rest consisting of almost unlistenable dissonance. "White dog" however, doesn't have any themes that immediately grabs you, but it's melodic thoughout, and is practically free of dissonance. Instead it uses a few slow and simple themes to create a dense and dark atmosphere. It's all very hypnotic and minimalistic, and I'm not sure what other Morricone scores to compare it to, because it's rather unique. Hmm, perhaps "Wolf" has a somewhat similar feel to it.

Due to the absence of immediately catchy themes, it's the kind of score that might not sound so interesting on first listen, but it grows on you over time.

BhelPuri wrote
    I'll check the samples when I get home. Is there much variety to warrant a 68 min release?

This is the kind of score that you can play forever without tiring of it, and where variety isn't that essential. When you pop it into the CD player it doesn't matter whether you start from track 1, or from a random track, as it all flows nicely together creating that wonderful athmosphere.

That said, having listened to the sound samples, the new additions do sound rather interesting. Track 28 seems to be an unfortunate addition though, as it has a completely different atmosphere than the rest.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010
    Southall wrote

Do you plan on getting it, James? I'd love to read a review of it.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good money say James buy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How would you describe it?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Southall wrote

Do you plan on getting it, James? I'd love to read a review of it.

Peter smile

I do plan on getting it. I don't like buying just one CD though (because of the high postage cost - especially at SAE, which apart from that is my retailer-of-choice) so will hold on for something else to buy it with. Thought it may have been last night's Intrada releases, but wasn't particularly interested in them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Me neither, thankfully.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Me neither, thankfully.

I know what you mean! If money had have been a bit more free-flowing I might have picked up the Baxter title.

I think I'll pass on the Morricone title also: prioritisation is the name of the game at the moment. And if there's going to be more Jerry Goldsmith titles being released this year (as well as titles such as Independence Day) that's where funds are going to be targeted. (As well as the more little-known, digital only titles.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn