• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    NP : ETERNAL ECHOES - John Barry

A gorgeous album that's very underrated, probably because The Beyondness Of Things was just so damned good!

Some big brassy moments hark back to Barry's early Bond sound and are most welcome here cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TRY ANYTHING ONCE (Alan Parsons)

First album without the "Project" nomer and Woolfson...adult pop with most of the trademarks nonetheless! Fine stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ENGULFED CATHEDRAL - Claude Debussy

A very short piece, only just over 7 minutes long but oh what a magnificent piece, would work brilliantly in some fantasy film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2008 edited
    NP : SYMPHONY # 3 'PASTORAL' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Don't get fooled by the title, this score has it's origins in the First World War, anyone familiar with this phenomanal work will hear just how influential it is on John Williams works.

The 2nd movement is amongst the most poignant pieces you could ever hear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2008
    ABBA - The Album

I am, and always will be, one of the staunchest defenders of the Swedish gods of pop, and track 1 through 6 of this album must be some of the best the group has ever recorded.
    Notably the opening track 'Eagle' stands out as one of the finest songs of the eighth decade of the last century. It's a mystery to me why this song hasn't become the penultimate ABBA signature song, rather than the utterly blah Dancing Queen (which is from another album altogether, incidentally).

Tracks 7 through 10 though are far too musical-esque to my taste and generally skippable. It was pretty clear at that time which way Björn and Benny were heading, and indeed they have since made their fortune in the world of musical, which explains why they dropped completely off of my radar.
    (Musicals. Yech!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    So, Martijn, I guess you don't like Andersson and Ulvaeus' CHESS musical, then? It is only like my favourite musical of all time! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    So, Martijn, I guess you don't like Andersson and Ulvaeus' CHESS musical, then? It is only like my favourite musical of all time! biggrin

Not my cuppa at all but there's a couple of good tracks, particularly One Night In Bangkok.

I'm like Martijn in my distaste for musicals though many do have outstanding songs, America from Bernstein's WEST SIDE STORY being my all time favourite.

ABBA wrote some of the greatest contempory pop songs ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not really a musical lover either, especially not those old Broadway-type musicals from the US (film or stage), but I do like some CONTEMPORARY-type musicals. Some of Lloyd Webber, all of Eric Woolfson's stuff, CHESS, THE LION KING musical and a few more. And of course, "rock operas" are pretty cool, like TOMMY, WHICH WITCH. Oh yeah, and GREASE.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I'm not really a musical lover either, especially not those old Broadway-type musicals from the US (film or stage), but I do like some CONTEMPORARY-type musicals. Some of Lloyd Webber, all of Eric Woolfson's stuff, CHESS, THE LION KING musical and a few more. And of course, "rock operas" are pretty cool, like TOMMY, WHICH WITCH. Oh yeah, and GREASE.

Did you ever find the LSO version of TOMMY Thor?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

Nope, I don't.
    I did try though, but I generally don't even like their more musical-style entries during their ABBA days (the best examples of which can be found on the album The Album as said), so it was pretty much a run race already. sad

There's three musicals I actually love:The Wizard Of Oz, The Muppet Movie and The Nightmare Before Christmas, and one that gets my mark of approval for sheer creativity: Moulin Rouge.

All the rest is pointless and redundant at best, excruciating at worst.
    Especially the unnameable Austrian play.
    I swear I have never cheered for the Nazis on any other occasion...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I'm like Martijn in my distaste for musicals though many do have outstanding songs, America from Bernstein's WEST SIDE STORY being my all time favourite.

I know what you mean.
    I hesitated naming West Side Story because it's in many ways so much more than a musical. It's like calling Ellington's Anatomy Of A Murder a soundtrack (which it is, obviously, but it's so much more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

No, I never got around to that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Nope, I don't.
    I did try though, but I generally don't even like their more musical-style entries during their ABBA days (the best examples of which can be found on the album The Album as said), so it was pretty much a run race already. sad

Interesting, because their last album - THE VISITORS - is my favourite ABBA album, and it's the one that is closest to their CHESS-style.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah, that's an album I don't know. smile
    I'll give it a shot one of these days (even though there's every chance I won't like it much sad )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

No, I never got around to that.

You should, It's great!
  1. NP: Symphonie Fantastique (Berlioz)

Good music to write to.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008
    NP : ADAGIO IN G MINOR FOR STRINGS AND ORGAN - Tomaso Albinoni

Utterly gorgeous music born of genius cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Organ, eh? Does it have any of the religious sound?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Organ, eh? Does it have any of the religious sound?

Oh yes! cool

It's a gorgeous, very early work Thor ( Albinoni 1671 - 1751....80 years old was a fantastic age in those times ), you may even recognise it?

The version I played was Berlin Phil conducted by Herbert Von Karajan.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : COMPILATION - Afro Celt Sound System

A very good compilation a friend made for me, great melodies, energy with a big dose of ethnic instruments.

I've seen ACSS play live and it was one of the best gigs I've ever seen/heard and a level of musicianship that was, quite frankly, utterly astounding! shocked
  2. Martijn wrote
    ABBA - The Album

I am, and always will be, one of the staunchest defenders of the Swedish gods of pop, and track 1 through 6 of this album must be some of the best the group has ever recorded.
    Notably the opening track 'Eagle' stands out as one of the finest songs of the eighth decade of the last century. It's a mystery to me why this song hasn't become the penultimate ABBA signature song, rather than the utterly blah Dancing Queen (which is from another album altogether, incidentally).

Tracks 7 through 10 though are far too musical-esque to my taste and generally skippable. It was pretty clear at that time which way Björn and Benny were heading, and indeed they have since made their fortune in the world of musical, which explains why they dropped completely off of my radar.
    (Musicals. Yech!)

I completely echo your sentiments here, Martijn. "Eagle" is far and away my favourite ABBA song - and the greatest track they ever wrote.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008
    Winner - Big Boss Man

I got this reccomended to me by a friend. It's essentially an extension of the music from the Ocean's films. I like it a lot, and I'm trying to find a copy of their first album, "Humanize".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008 edited
    NP : JOURNEY TO LOVE - Stanley Clarke

Wicked stuff played by consumate musicians.

Brilliant jazz/rock/orchestral instrumental album! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 7 'LENINGRAD' - Dmitri Shostakovitch

One of the greatest musical masterworks of the 20th Century.

....and played L O U D !

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Sursum Corda- Erich Wolfgang Korngold

This is where the material for Robin Hood came from
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JEAN SIBELIUS - Finlandia e.a. (London Symphony Orchestra)

There are some very few works in the history of music that cannot and should not be described by words. Such a work is Sibelius' Finlandia, one grand epitome of the late romantic era and one of the greatest heritages of the entire world's musical culture. I can't think of anyone who could possibly remain unmoved by its sheer sentiment, the true essence of melody and noble beauty.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    I love FINLANDIA!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I love FINLANDIA!

Yeah, it's a great work as is most of Sibelius works, my own favourite being The Swan Of Tuenelo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, that's a very beautiful piece as well; same goes for Valse Triste and his breathtaking violin concerto!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Humanize - Big Boss Man

Not as good as their second album (''Winner''). Party 7 and Money are very good tracks though.