• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008
    NP: Mezzanine - Massive Attack

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    NP: Mezzanine - Massive Attack

cool

A fine album! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : IMAGES - Claude Debussy

Impressionistic work like this truly points the way for the great film composers to come.

This is cerebral music at it's most beautiful and inspiring.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DAPHNIS ET CHLOE - Maurice Ravel

This work is never far from being played by me, it's a fantastical fantasy work which, like the Debussy mentioned above is very influential on film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Impressionistic work like this truly points the way for the great film composers to come.

I agree. Who performs?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

I agree. Who performs?

This version is Orchestre de Paris conducted by Daniel Barenboim smile

Funny enough the same CD contains Ravel's Daphnis Et Chloe, but only fragments of it. I went for the full 55 minute version by Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nice. I have one with Salonen/Los Angeles Philharmonic that also has the sublime LA MER!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Alan, Michael wave

Have you listened to the Hovhaness album yet?

shame
    Not yet! But I will...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Alan, Michael wave

Have you listened to the Hovhaness album yet?

shame
    Not yet! But I will...

In you're own time. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Nice. I have one with Salonen/Los Angeles Philharmonic that also has the sublime LA MER!

A wonderful work too.

Thor, have you ever heard the Debussy piece La Cathedrale Engloutie ( The Engulfed Cathedral ) ? It's easily available but for some reason it doesn't appear on hardly any of the usual Debussy compilations. It's just under 8 minutes but it's an incredible 8 minutes. I believe the piece was originally written for piano? This full orchestral version is orchestrated by the great Leopold Stowkowski of Disney's 'Fantasia'.

If you haven't, please check it out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

A wonderful work too.

Thor, have you ever heard the Debussy piece La Cathedrale Engloutie ( The Engulfed Cathedral ) ? It's easily available but for some reason it doesn't appear on hardly any of the usual Debussy compilations. It's just under 8 minutes but it's an incredible 8 minutes. I believe the piece was originally written for piano? This full orchestral version is orchestrated by the great Leopold Stowkowski of Disney's 'Fantasia'.

I will, thanks! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer.... Timmer... Tim... TIM!!! I ordered Music Of The Spheres just because of your enthusiasm for it. Do I get any browny points for this? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer.... Timmer... Tim... TIM!!! I ordered Music Of The Spheres just because of your enthusiasm for it. Do I get any browny points for this? biggrin

I dunno? But I'll try out the icon I've not seen before until I saw it in your post on another thread....

applause

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008
    NP: Gaucho - Steely Dan

I have a lot to thank my father for...

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE CLOUD MESSENGER - Gustav Holst

Rarely talked about but excellent work from the composer of 'The Planets'.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

A wonderful work too.

Don't forget the version (re-imagining?) that's available on the Escape From New York CD?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Haven't forgotten that one Alan smile

NP : MYSTERIOUS MOUNTAIN - Alan Hovhaness

Perfect for a last late listen then off to..... sleep smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008 edited
    Music Of The Spheres | Mike Oldfield

Lets just say I concur with Timmer. If this was a score, it would be getting a fair amount of hype on the forum as I type.

wave spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Lets just say I concur with Timmer. If this was a score, it would be getting a fair amount of hype on the forum as I type.

wave spin

punk beer

I really want to play it again now but I don't want to tire of it too soon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

wave spin

punk beer

I really want to play it again now but I don't want to tire of it too soon.

Damn it, I buckled!

NP : MUSIC OF THE SPHERES - Mike Oldfield

And played L - O - U - D - ! punk

Man I just love Karl Jenkins string arrangements in this....fooking corking stuff!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    d'oh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    [Changed to from Stop Loss]:

I'm having a scoregasm... which is weird since this isn't a score!? shocked
  3. Timmer wrote

Is this one on the CD you sent me Tim?

I notice 'Prayer of St Gregory', 'Symphony 2', 'Prelude and Quadruple Fugue', 'And God created Great Whales', 'Alleluia and Fugue' and 'Celestial Fantasy'.

I'm in the middle of Symphony 2 at the moment. I declare this Alan Hovhaness dude is righteous in my sight! punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

I have to listen to this asap, Timmer's very enthusiastic about it too. smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

Is this one on the CD you sent me Tim?

I notice 'Prayer of St Gregory', 'Symphony 2', 'Prelude and Quadruple Fugue', 'And God created Great Whales', 'Alleluia and Fugue' and 'Celestial Fantasy'.

I'm in the middle of Symphony 2 at the moment. I declare this Alan Hovhaness dude is righteous in my sight! punk

Pleased to hear that Michael cool

Unfortunately 'Mysterious Mountain' isn't on that album I recorded.

What is available from this incredibly prolific composer is quite limited and I'd seriously recommend ( and I'm sure Alan would agree ) his Symphony # 50 Mt. St. Helens.

A wonderful composer whom I can't imagine anyone not finding accessable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

I have to listen to this asap, Timmer's very enthusiastic about it too. smile

Do! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 3 IN C MINOR 'ORGAN' - Camille Saint-Saens

Love this. Many here may be more familiar with this as the theme to 'Babe'. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LYLE MAYS - Lyle Mays

Quite a few solo piano tracks here from Pat Metheny's co-composer and virtuoso piano player Mays. This is a great album with my favourite track(s) being the atmospherically conjuring The Alaskan Suite, this is one hell of a fine album.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2008
    NP: Symphony #4 in F Minor--Vaughan Williams

My version is with the N.Y. Philharmonic conducted by Leonard Bernstein. While his Sinfonia Antarctica will forever remain one of my all time favorite works this symphony like his others are all excellent.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2008
    NP : TUBULAR BELLS - Mike Oldfield

If memory serves, Oldfield was 19 years old when he did this. Astonishing! shocked

The original and still brilliant! cool