• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    NP : TE DEUM - Anton Bruckner

Absolutely fabulous work and my favourite of the composer. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2008
    I'm still getting through all of the Korngold material that I got on a closeout from Berkshire. Lots of listening and I'm sure down the road a review or two.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Time to take a break from this board and get away from all the sleep talk about Giacchino's LOST III release.

NP : THE LORD OF THE RINGS : THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE KING - Howard Shore

Yeah Yeah Yeah, I KNOW this is a film score but it's quieter here and I can listen in peace! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Time to take a break from this board and get away from all the sleep talk about Giacchino's LOST III release.

I'm the same really. I too am getting bored of the hype it's getting. It's good, but SHUT UP about it! dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Lost season 3?! Where?! biggrin tongue

We've got Giacchino going in the Giacchino thread. We've got Giacchino going in the Lost thread. We've got Giacchino going in the Lost season 3 thread. We've got Giacchino in the Now Playing thread. I'm not complaining. cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm the same really. I too am getting bored of the hype it's getting. It's good, but SHUT UP about it! dizzy

Ahhhh a voice of reason cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALLELUIA AND FUGUE - Alan Hovhaness

Another one to add to your "Religious" list Thor, a gorgeous 10 minute work that evokes Vaughan Williams 'Tallis' piece.

Extremely recommended, in fact there's not a dull piece on the entire album.
  1. Timmer wrote

I need to listen to this Hovhaness CD. shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

chop chop Alan! punk

I'm eagerly awaiting your verdict smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mel's in control...

NP : VERSION - Mark Ronson

I like it too! cool

Pop quiz this evening, wish us luck. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2008 edited
    NP : MERCY - Duffy

My god but this album is gorgeous! cool

Big BIG talent!
  2. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

chop chop Alan! punk

I'm eagerly awaiting your verdict smile

Must listen here too. And reply to my PMs! shame
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2008
    Timmer wrote

Big BIG talent!

and again...

Excellent Retro sound sometimes conjures the likes of Dusty Springfield / Burt Bacharach, one track has a very 'Look Of Love' vibe to it cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2008
    NP : LA MER - Claude Debussy

The kind of impressionistic work that gives life to so much of the film music we know and love, a gorgeous and sublime work! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008
    NP : nothing

G'night y'all wave sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008 edited
    ....and now, only 4 hours after Timmer went to bed, it's "Good Morning" over here. Putting on a CD to drown out the car alarm outside that has been ringing for an hour and a half now! sad

This helps, though:

NP: STAND UP (Jethro Tull)

Classic prog-folk! The lovely "Bourré" is playing now!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008
    Thor wrote
    ....and now, only 4 hours after Timmer went to bed, it's "Good Morning" over here. Putting on a CD to drown out the car alarm outside that has been ringing for an hour and a half now! sad

This helps, though:

Actually I was up just 4 hours after I went to bed Thor....and I was still tipsy! dizzy

Do you have Aqualung? That's a great album too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

This helps, though:

Actually I was up just 4 hours after I went to bed Thor....and I was still tipsy! dizzy

Yes, that's a another beauty, especially the title track. I also like "Locomotive Breath".
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2008
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

This helps, though:

Yes, that's a another beauty, especially the title track. I also like "Locomotive Breath".

Indeed! Another great album.

NP : THE PLANETS - Gustav Holst

Charles Dutoit's brilliant version! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2008
    NP : MUSIC OF THE SPHERES - Mike Oldfield

shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote

shocked

.....and again.

shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

shocked

.....and again.

shocked

AND again, again!

This album is absolutely friggin GORGEOUS! Orchestrated and conducted by Karl Jenkins this album has knocked me sideways. dizzy

Help me, I'm turning into Jordi!! shocked spin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008
    Timmer. Facebook. For the love of god, FACEBOOK.

Anyway.

Battle Of Los Angeles | Rage Against The Machine

cool

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

shocked

.....and again.

shocked

AND again, again!

This album is absolutely friggin GORGEOUS! Orchestrated and conducted by Karl Jenkins this album has knocked me sideways. dizzy

Help me, I'm turning into Jordi!! shocked spin biggrin

NP : MUSIC OF THE SPHERES - Mike Olfield

And again! cool

am I doing this> wave spin

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2008 edited
    NP : SYMPHONY # 1 - David Bedford

My very favourite modern "serious" classical work....yeap! even over Goldenthal, Kamen and Williams "serious" works.

EDIT:

Actually not quite because I love Alan Hovhaness later works so much.

I'll suggest Bedford as my favourite living "serious" composer.

Alan, Michael wave

Have you listened to the Hovhaness album yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008
    Giya Kancheli - Styx
    A 35 min. symphony which describes the path of the Styx: the mythical Greek river that takes you from the land of the living, straight into Hades' hands, the realm of the dead. It's mainly scored for choir and violin, the two often playing in wonderful harmony, yet both portraying two different aspects: the violin is the Styx itself, and choir and orchestra as respectively life and death. Kancheli effectively uses silence as a musical note, while the sudden outbursts of the thunderous orchestra accentuate the difference between life and death. It's a wonderful symphony, excellently played by the violinist, Maxim Rysanov.

John Tavener - The Myrrh-Bearer

Although more thought provoking, and a carefully constructed piece, The Myrrh-Bearer didn't affect me as much as it should have. Set to a poem about Mary Magdalene sprenkling the myrrh on the body of her son before His Passion, the text explores the internal struggles of her as a mother. The violin now set as an opponent of the choir, it's really a "versus" situation now, both reacting to each other, with heavy pounding of percussion portraying the evils of the world. With the violin gradually ascending, it's meant to be a heavily dramatic performance, but the violent and repeated strikes of the percussion and later orchestra prevent it for being the emotional experience it should be. Still, it's an interesting piece, and an incredibly taxing one for its violin player, again Maxim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Symphony No. 5---Beethoven

The C minor symphony which was premiered in Vienna in 1808, given the name "Fate" is one that everyone should have in their collection.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    bob, where do we find John Tavener - The Myrrh-Bearer? any sound clips? wave
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008 edited
    http://www.amazon.com/Kancheli-Styx-Tav … amp;sr=8-2

This is my copy, it's the first (and only?) recording. If you like the clips, let me know wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Big BIG talent!

and again...

Excellent Retro sound sometimes conjures the likes of Dusty Springfield / Burt Bacharach, one track has a very 'Look Of Love' vibe to it cool

NP : ROCKFERRY - Duffy

Why did I keep saying this album is called 'MERCY'? ( one of the tracks from the album )

Anyway, great stuff, fantastic voice and an excellent album.