• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2008
    there must be a European and American spelling.
    tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LOW - David Bowie

Finally some pop (or rock, however you define it) from you!! You've been playing a lot of either classical or jazz lately! tongue wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CHRISTUS APOLLO - Jerry Goldsmith

Thank the gods Goldsmith became a film composer and not a "serious" composer, this is awful and I'm not sure how much more I can endure?

Phew! I thought it was just me that loathed this. Fireworks on the other hand is great. I'm not listening to anything at the moment, but my Mike Oldfield shelf is eyeing me suspiciously, presumably wondering why I haven't acquired 'Music of the Spheres' yet...
  1. Isn't CHRISTUS APOLLO a kind of serialist/post-Schoenberg work? Is that what people are objecting to?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2008
    Jim Ware wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CHRISTUS APOLLO - Jerry Goldsmith

Thank the gods Goldsmith became a film composer and not a "serious" composer, this is awful and I'm not sure how much more I can endure?

Phew! I thought it was just me that loathed this. Fireworks on the other hand is great. I'm not listening to anything at the moment, but my Mike Oldfield shelf is eyeing me suspiciously, presumably wondering why I haven't acquired 'Music of the Spheres' yet...

The album is worth having for 'Fireworks' cool

Music Of The Spheres is EXCELLENT! Check it out Jim smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LOW - David Bowie

Finally some pop (or rock, however you define it) from you!! You've been playing a lot of either classical or jazz lately! tongue wink

Well, I always go by mood so I can never tell from one day to another what I'll play....or even from hour to hour.

LOW is a great album and I've been a Bowie fan for a long time cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Isn't CHRISTUS APOLLO a kind of serialist/post-Schoenberg work? Is that what people are objecting to?

As a listening experience I don't find it enjoyable and it goes no deeper than that.
  2. I do like LOW btw!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    I do like LOW btw!

punk cool

I like the Philip Glass version as well cool
  3. I like Low Symphony. I think I prefer his version of the HEROES album, just for having a bit more variety.

One thing I am listening to at the moment is Deryn Cooke's Introduction to Wagner's Ring Cycle. Cooke spends about 2 hours talking you through the major motifs and variations of Wagner's work. I wish there were more audio essays like this for famous musical works - it's a great way to present such info, which doesn't always work on paper.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2008 edited
    NP : OUT OF THE BLUE - Electric Light Orchestra

Another nostalgic fave from my youth, this album also includes the immortal Mr. Blue Sky, possibly one of the most uplifting possitive feel good songs ever. cool

edit : because it's playing right now - 'The Whale' is just such a superb and descriptive piece of music, and purely instrumental biggrin
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    NP: Minne tie vie - Nardus

On Friday I'm going to Seinäjoki, which is a quite big city in western Finland with the local youth choir Nardus. We are going to have a couple of concerts around Seinäjoki. Now I'm listening the new Nardus CD Minne tie vie, which we made last autumn, to revisit some songs. The tracklist is:

1.Psalmimusiikki (5:02)
    2. Minne tie vie (2:31)
    3. Rauhanruhtinas (3:26)
    4. Puu haudalla (2:48)
    5. Isä meidän (2:39)
    6. Hymni (2:08)
    7. Tiellä ken vaeltaa (3:26)
    8. Herra, elämääni valvo (1:51)
    9. Oi, Jumala et hylkää pientä lasta (2:46)
    10. Tule kanssani, Herra, Jeesus (2:34)

I think this is really good Finnish gospel music, and there are many musical styles found in the album (classical, jazz, latin). If you are interested, you can buy the CD here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2008
    Timmer wrote

Another nostalgic fave from my youth, this album also includes the immortal Mr. Blue Sky, possibly one of the most uplifting possitive feel good songs ever. cool

It is indeed. However, I listened to this song (and other ELO tunes) repeatedly while reading Stephen King novels back when I was a teenager, and consequently, many of these songs are associated with spooky atmospheres for me! Strange how the mind works.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

It is indeed. However, I listened to this song (and other ELO tunes) repeatedly while reading Stephen King novels back when I was a teenager, and consequently, many of these songs are associated with spooky atmospheres for me! Strange how the mind works.

I know what you mean.

And coincidently I always associated a Roy Wood ( former ELO member who later formed Wizzard ) album with reading Marvel's THE AVENGERS, a superhero team consisting of Captain America, Iron Man, Ant Man, The Wasp and THOR wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TAMLA MOTOWN GOLD - Various

Fantastic collection of 1960's Motown classics from the likes of The Four Tops, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, Jnr Walker & The All Stars, Stevie Wonder and many more.......perfect sunny day listening and boy what brilliant music it is!

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : YOUNG CHILD - Ronnie Laws

Kick ass disco funk from 1980 ...man but this is seriously good and oh so perfect for this gorgeous sunny day punk

Along with Stevie Wonder this is the kind of stuff that's been such a big influence on the likes of Jamiroquai.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    THE BEST OF SAINT-SAËNS | yah, that one

Sounds corny such a title, but you have to start somewhere. biggrin wink
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Earth Wind & Fire

punk Man it's been a funky afternoon cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2008 edited
    Bregt wrote

I presume it has the excellent Symphony # 3 'Organ'.....or at least the famous bit cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

I presume it has the excellent Symphony # 3 'Organ'.....or at least the famous bit cool

Yeah, Organ-Presto or something like that. But that's the last piece. First, there's Dance Macabre!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    First, there's Dance Macabre!

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2008
    NP : WHEN IT FALLS - Zero 7

Superb late listening cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE TIME MACHINE (Alan Parsons)

I can never get enough Parsons. It's all here - the minor-mode ballads, the upbeat rock, the offbeat prog harmonies. Even with Woolfson gone.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DREAMING - Kate Bush

cool
  4. NP: Nouvelle Vagues (arr. Desplat)

A compilation of famous scores by European film composers, with a French emphasis. The performances are all by the Traffic Quintet. The string quintet is a dry sound, quite dispassionate in feel. But this romantic music more than survives the rigorous treatment. Highlights are Delerue's 'Le Peau Douce', 'La Mepris', Desplat's 'Read My Lips', Morricone's 'Peur Sur La Ville' and Gato Barberi's 'Last Tango in Paris'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Nouvelle Vagues (arr. Desplat)

A compilation of famous scores by European film composers, with a French emphasis. The performances are all by the Traffic Quintet. The string quintet is a dry sound, quite dispassionate in feel. But this romantic music more than survives the rigorous treatment. Highlights are Delerue's 'Le Peau Douce', 'La Mepris', Desplat's 'Read My Lips', Morricone's 'Peur Sur La Ville' and Gato Barberi's 'Last Tango in Paris'.

Wrong thread, franz!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. The record label wouldn't agree with you there. (Then again, their name is 'Naive'.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008
    NP : RHYTHM & STEALTH - Leftfield

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2008 edited
    NP : SYMPHONY # 19 'VISHNU' - Alan Hovhaness

Given time this man will be recognised amongst one of the 20th Century's greatest composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE CAT - Jimmy Smith

Martijn, you heard this one? I hope so, it's fooking brill! punk cool

Wicked album, man, absolutely wicked! Acid jazz at its best, and with a full big band to back it up.
    It just DON'T get much better than that, cat!
    Oh wait.
    Yes, it does: the album Bashin': The Unpredictable Jimmy Smith, which features his absolutely seminal version of Elmer Bernstein Walk On The Wild Side, which absolutely rocks my world with acid swing the likes of which have not heard since...well, since this cut, really. If you haven't heard this one, Tim, run (don't walk. RUN) to the nearest record store and get either the original album or the excellent re-issue Jimmy Smith: Walk On The Wild Side (The Best Of The Verve Years). You ain't gonna regret it!

p.s. I wanted to keep the album you sent me till Christmas but my mate saw it so I've GOT to play it next time he calls....he's a big jazz fan but has never heard it! cool

biggrin
    No matter: I love playing really proper and cool Christmas albums of whatever musical ilk during blistering hot summer days too, so I won't begrudge you bringing a little swinging Christmas cheer around in wet, grey April! It's a fun novelty album, and really enjoyable, but at the end of the day, however fun, swinging and good, it's not up to par with the albums discussed above, really.
    (Not that I mind. smile )

Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Music for 18 Musicians (Steve Reich)

Good music to work to.

It's great! You should enthuse about it to Martijn as he'd absolutely adore it biggrin

I sense a set-up?
    Nay, a disturbance in the Force, maybe, even?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn