• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2008
    Martijn, Do you know who Steve Reich is? wink

And yes, I am familiar with the Smith stuff you mentioned and yes....It's FOOKING COOKING! punk

With luck your post might tempt someone else here to check out Jimmy Smith cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn, Do you know who Steve Reich is? wink

I have NO idea.
    But he sounds like a Nazi, or possibly even a minimalist.
    And I hate those guys.

With luck your post might tempt someone else here to check out Jimmy Smith cool beer

One would hope! Never too late for a little experimenting, boys and gals!

Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    What a wonderful work Tim!!!!!! But you spell it antarctica.

I don't know why Tom, but on ALL the versions I have it's spelt 'A-N-T-A-R-T-I-C-A ? no extra C

No idea why? On the film score it is, indeed SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC.

Can anyone explain? confused

Well, the only accepted proper spelling is of course "AntarCtic", WITH the extra -c-, finding its roots in the Greek 'antarktiké (which would translate as "opposite of the arctic" ).

Oddly the original English spelling of the word indeed -for reasons lost in time- left out the first -c-. However, this -c- was reinserted as early as the 17th century. According to scholars this was most likely a conscious effort to make the English word conform to its Greek root.

Why Vaughn Williams should have chosen a spelling so ancient is beyond me.
    Maybe he was ultra-conservative? wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Made Of Bricks - Kate Nash
    Nash' debut album is a darkly humorous and musically infectious little treat. Not as powerful everywhere as possible, but creative and fresh throughout. The hit song "Foundations" is a highlight with its extremely wry look at a disfunctional relationship. It's not only good music, it's clever too... and the girl is only twenty! shocked Great voice, interesting depth (lyrically as well as vocally) and you just gotta love that Cockney slant. She can shout "RICKAYYYY" at me any day. love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Made Of Bricks - Kate Nash
    Nash' debut album is a darkly humorous and musically infectious little treat. Not as powerful everywhere as possible, but creative and fresh throughout. The hit song "Foundations" is a highlight with its extremely wry look at a disfunctional relationship. It's not only good music, it's clever too... and the girl is only twenty! shocked Great voice, interesting depth (lyrically as well as vocally) and you just gotta love that Cockney slant. She can shout "RICKAYYYY" at me any day. love

Yeah it's not bad at all.

It's damn good hearing someone sing in they're own accent as well rather than phoney American generic. One of the reasons I always had respect for The Proclaimers.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wow. The Proclaimers. Now THERE's a name I haven't heard for a long time... I had an album of theirs, but beyond their greatest and (as far as I know?) only true international hit, they never caught on much here, or with me, to be honest.
    God, was that 1987?
    Sometimes I get a little mystified as to where all the years went, while I apparently was occupied elsewhere... sad

Anyway, I hear they're touring again, though?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yep! They played Glastonbury last year though I didn't see them.

I'll be at Glastonbury this year too, though the line up looks pretty crap! What should I care, I'm getting paid for it. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Leonard Cohen and Neil Diamond?
    Well, something to go around for both the spry and poppy as well as for the depressed and lonely octagenarian, it seems.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Leonard Cohen and Neil Diamond?
    Well, something to go around for both the spry and poppy as well as for the depressed and lonely octagenarian, it seems.

I know rolleyes

I'm sure there'll be something I really want to see by the time the full line-up is announced?

p.s. Glastonbury sold out in minutes when the tickets sold on line last year, this year there are still thousands left. Seems lots of Brits are heading abroad to your neck of the woods Martijn because it's cheaper and I don't blame them, Glasto is a massive rip-off!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : The Best of Curtis Mayfield

Soul funk don't come much better this side of James Brown cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I always thought with Antarctica you spelled out the word arctic at least that must be how I learned to spell it in school.

NP: Jazz at The College of Pacific---Dave Brubeck

This was an LP transfer on the Fantasy label #F3223. It is a mono recording dating from 1953 featuring Dave and Desmond. It does include Laura in a sweeping concert-like interpretation almost like how Previn might play it. No Desmond, bass or drums on that track.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : The Very Best of WAR

Oh but this is just too cool! cool

Low Rider which has been used in films and advertisments is the one people will recognise but really it's one of the lesser tracks on this great collection.

One of the tracks 'Nappy Head' Theme from Ghetto Man ( no, me neither ) could easily go on the cool themes list I wrote on the NP thread. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    I always thought with Antarctica you spelled out the word arctic at least that must be how I learned to spell it in school.

And you're quite right Tom.
    Th region is called The Antarctic, or Antarctica. The word arctic is in there, of course.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote

And you're quite right Tom.
    Th region is called The Antarctic, or Antarctica. The word arctic is in there, of course.

I noticed on the CD that it comes with a *, as in Antartica*.

Martijn, have you ever heard the RVW Symphony? ( or film score for that matter )
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll have to dig out the LP box and see what I have of Jimmy Smith. I do remember The Cat album with a nice rendition of Carpetbaggers as well as the Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (weird cover). Overall, I liked him. If I remember right Schifrin had some arranging on The Cat.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn, have you ever heard the RVW Symphony? ( or film score for that matter )

Ravings from several posters here notwithstanding I have to admit to not having given either a listen... shame

NP: Rockferry - Duffy
    Another young UK star exploding on the scene last year out of pretty much nowhere. Is it yet another wave of the Brit Invasion? One can only hop!
    Not as rough 'round the edges as aformentioned Kate Nash, Duffy presents a very nice, polished, old-time R&B (that's Rhythm & Blues, kids, not Rhyme & Bass or whatever they turned it into when hip hop reared its ugly head) Motown-reminiscent style, with vocal stylings to match. The hit Mercy is a fantastic toe-tapper. Me like. A lot!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Ravings from several posters here notwithstanding I have to admit to not having given either a listen... shame

NP: Rockferry - Duffy
    Another young UK star exploding on the scene last year out of pretty much nowhere. Is it yet another wave of the Brit Invasion? One can only hop!
    Not as rough 'round the edges as aformentioned Kate Nash, Duffy presents a very nice, polished, old-time R&B (that's Rhythm & Blues, kids, not Rhyme & Bass or whatever they turned it into when hip hop reared its ugly head) Motown-reminiscent style, with vocal stylings to match. The hit Mercy is a fantastic toe-tapper. Me like. A lot!

Me too, I played this quite a few times when I got it some weeks ago cool

Try and check out Antartica some time Martijn....quite possibly the nearest one will get to actually being there, it really is that descriptive, it also features one of the most powerful statements for Organ you'll hear this side of Bach, though it is brief.
  1. Martijn wrote
    Wow. The Proclaimers. Now THERE's a name I haven't heard for a long time... I had an album of theirs, but beyond their greatest and (as far as I know?) only true international hit, they never caught on much here, or with me, to be honest.
    God, was that 1987?
    Sometimes I get a little mystified as to where all the years went, while I apparently was occupied elsewhere... sad

Anyway, I hear they're touring again, though?

Goodness!! The Proclaimers.

I much prefer 500 Miles over "Letter From America". Without fail, every works Christmas doo "500 Miles" gets requested and I get called up from my pint to join in the singing and dancing...anyway, noo I'm jus' haverin'.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2008
    I'd walk 500 miles to see you sing Alan beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I'd walk 500 miles to see you sing Alan beer

maybe not eh? wink

NP : CORNISH DANCES - Malcolm Arnold

Melodic and lovely cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Without fail, every works Christmas doo "500 Miles" gets requested and I get called up from my pint to join in the singing and dancing...anyway, noo I'm jus' haverin'.

biggrin
    My, we've touched upon some ugly regional sentiments here, have we?
    Ne'er mind, Alan. I'll do a clog dance for ya. Right after I put out my reefer in this here Gouda cheese... wink

NP:
    Pokito A Poko - Chambao
    shocked Lazy electronic lounge beats meet flamenco! This I LIKE! Very laid back with some excellent Sevillanas / flamenco guitar riffs throughout. This is SO my kind of music.
    Would you believe I found these guys on the advice of the Lonely Planet guide to Andalusia?
    punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE ORCHESTRAL TUBULAR BELLS - Mike Oldfield

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2008
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

The first piece of music I've played all day and man it don't come better than this cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FEN COUNTRY - Ralph Vaughan Williams

English to it's very core.

Sublime cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Sublime cool

punk

Only we English understand how truly brilliant RVW was. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Williams?
    Family of John, then?

christmas_drunk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Williams?
    Family of John, then?

christmas_drunk

whaddever rolleyes wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Sublime cool

punk

Only we English understand how truly brilliant RVW was. wink

From the classical world I think only Holst, Copeland, Shostakovitch and Prokofiev have as many fans from a love of film music as Vaughan Williams ( maybe not a surprise that besides Holst ALL have done film scores ). As an FSM regular of many years I can tell you that there are many American RVW fans
  2. NP: Music of the Spheres

Hmmm... Kind of reminds me of Yanni a bit. Music with a moustache. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Music of the Spheres

Hmmm... Kind of reminds me of Yanni a bit. Music with a moustache. wink

Who?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A CLASSICAL SYMPHONY - Serge Prokofiev

Perfect Sunday afternoon listening cool