• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Music with a moustache. wink

biggrin wink

I was almost sure you wouldn't go crazy over it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

biggrin wink

What are you saying about Yanni!? shocked cool
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

biggrin wink

What's Yanni? Some kind of cured meat or something?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MYSTERIOUS MOUNTAIN - Alan Hovhaness

Excellent and very accessable late 20th century concert work, I absolutely love this! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

biggrin wink

What's Yanni? Some kind of cured meat or something?

A Greek man with a big moustache. Who used to write some music and perform it live under heavy attendance. And used to be with a Milf. Later on he disappeared completely, probably hum**** that Milf of his.

Wise man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Excellent and very accessable late 20th century concert work, I absolutely love this! cool

Ah; accessible 20th century music; very accessible........that probably translates to just 2 panadols and 4 hours of rest in order to recover after having played the album once, instead of the 2 days of rest and silence the average human being needs in order to recover after having listened to 1 hour of standard, not easily accessible 20th century music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Ah; accessible 20th century music; very accessible........that probably translates to just 2 panadols and 4 hours of rest in order to recover after having played the album once, instead of the 2 days of rest and silence the average human being needs in order to recover after having listened to 1 hour of standard, not easily accessible 20th century music.

spin

Have you heard any Hovhaness?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No mate, i was thinking out loud on general lines. How is it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Accessable! wink

No, it's very romantic in nature with an harmonic texture that harks back to past masters. Though it wasn't the version I played, our very own John Williams has conducted this and is still available on CD.
  2. Christodoulides wrote

Hovanhess is a lot more accessible than the avante-garde / serialist / post-Schoenberg musical candy you're thinking of. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2008 edited
    NP : ENGULFED CATHEDRAL - Claude Debussy

Just had time to play this magnificent short piece from a master, totally brilliant!

G'night wave sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Hovanhess is a lot more accessible than the avante-garde / serialist / post-Schoenberg musical candy you're thinking of. wink

thank God.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

thank God.

No, thank Hovhaness cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE PLANETS - Gustav Holst

You ever get those days when for some reason you're enjoying something you've played 100's of times more than usual? This is one of those days and I'm loving this 110% wink

A work of pure unadulterated genius!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

thank God.

No, thank Hovhaness cool

No, thank Zod.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nah! You can continue kneeling in front of Zod Martijn tongue

NP : SYMPHONY # 7 - Anton Bruckner

My fave Bruckner work, very cerebral music cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2008
    NP : SWAN LAKE - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

This version is Seiji Ozawa and the Boston Symphony cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There is an American in San Diego who truly appreciates Holst and RVW
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

And much more besides cool beer
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Rogier van Otterloo - Turks Fruit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

What's his name?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2008
    NP : LOW SYMPHONY - Philip Glass

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2008
    NP : THE ANTIDOTE - Ronnie Jordan

Excellent funk / jazz album, Jordan's version of Miles Davis 'So What' is absolutely corking! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008
    NP : THE CLOUD MESSENGER - Gustav Holst

A fantastic work that is largely overlooked by non-classical fans who are very familiar with his most obvious work, The Planets.

Very rewarding and well worth checking out. Do you know this one Tom?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You know Tim I don't know it. I do have some Holst but other than some versions of The Planets this is what I have.
    http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.553696
    http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.570339
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008 edited
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
    Douglas Adam's 1987 novel, adapted into a radio play by the same people who did the the final three of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (relatively) recently: Above The Title Productions.

I never enjoyed the novel as much as I did Hitchhiker (a probably impossible first pair of boots to fill anyway), but starring Harry Enfield as the title character and a very funny Billy Boyd, this is an at regular times laugh-out-loud, full-time thoroughly witty and funny romp . The production values are splendid, and the dynamic and completely enjoyable script belies its static book origins.
    Kudos!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
    Douglas Adam's 1987 novel, adapted into a radio play by the same people who did the the final three of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (relatively) recently: Above The Title Productions.

I never enjoyed the novel as much as I did Hitchhiker (a probably impossible first pair of boots to fill anyway), but starring Harry Enfield as the title character and a very funny Billy Boyd, this is an at regular times laugh-out-loud, full-time thoroughly witty and funny romp . The production values are splendid, and the dynamic and completely enjoyable script belies its static book origins.
    Kudos!

Now that's an interesting Off Topic listen smile

I've never listened to any novel on disc? Maybe I should give it a try, a friend has the same recording as you as well as many others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, it's not a novel on disk (I dislike those: I'd rather actually read the book): it's a proper radio play, in the time-honoured tradition of the original Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy radio broadcasts, with actors playing different roles, sound effects, music. The lot!
    It's proper! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008 edited
    NP: Seventh Tree - Goldfrapp

My mother's album - but I'm really quite impressed.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Oh, it's not a novel on disk (I dislike those: I'd rather actually read the book): it's a proper radio play, in the time-honoured tradition of the original Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy radio broadcasts, with actors playing different roles, sound effects, music. The lot!
    It's proper! punk

Sounds even better.

Though I've never heard anything to compare it with.

p.s. I remember listening to 'Hitchhiker's Guide' when it was first broadcast on radio a loooonnng time ago ( damn, but I think I was still living with my folks? Either that or I listened to it with my mum who was a fan? )