• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008
    Thor wrote
    NP: MEDDLE (Pink Floyd)

Continuing my journey through my PF collection. This is probably Timmer's favourite PF album, and it's high up there for me too. Truly epic at times.

Close! I'd have to say Dark Side Of The Moon is # 1 for me cool

A toss between Wish You Were Here and Meddle for 2nd spot.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008
    Symphony No. 3 in B Minor Op. 42 Gliere

This work has always been a favorite of mine! Little known, quite long at 76 minutes, and very Russian for 20th century as compared to Shostakovich or Prokofiev. The story of Ilya Mourometz is well told by Rheinhold.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2008
    NP: Marco Polo Film Music Classics...Vaughan Williams

One of the few Marco Polo titles left in the Naxos Catalog. Excellent material.

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.223665
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2007/01/11/c … dwilliams/

This has more to do with Coastal Command but is still appropriate for the CD
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2007/01/11/c … dwilliams/

This has more to do with Coastal Command but is still appropriate for the CD

I have this Tom, very good too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: I'm Not There

This is a set of Bob Dylan covers done for the recent Todd Haynes film. Some wonderful music from this man. I had to listen to this today - I woke up with Dylan's moving 'The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll' in my head.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008 edited
    NP : ALEXANDER NEVSKY - Sergei Prokofiev

punk It don't get much better! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2008
    NP : BLOW BY BLOW - Jeff Beck

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2008
    Timmer wrote

Hey, hey! No film scores here! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Hey, hey! No film scores here! wink

cheesy wink

Well, I've also played Vaughan Williams # 7 here, same thing as both are concert / classical representations of they're original film scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008
    Too much reading through Indy IV postings on NP thread crazy

NP : IF THIS BASS COULD TALK - Stanley Clarke

*phew* Ahhhhhhhh relief smile Superb and gorgeously melodic jazz album from a master musician of whom, in his own element is a genius! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008 edited
    WP : DUMMY - Portishead

( Was Playing ) g'night sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/w … s-artists/

NP:....The War, A Ken Burns Film

Includes music from Copland, Walton, and Elgar. There is also a 4 CD set with all of the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP:.... The War, A Ken Burns Film Ellington's C Jam Blues
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A very ecclectic collection of fine music Tom, I'd really love to watch the film, that's right up my street.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Third - Portishead
    Odd piece of work, this latest 'comeback' CD from the once trip-hop trailblazer group. Quite enigmatic. Not unlikeable, but...odd, yet strangely familiar.
    There's a warmer, more intimate sound, yet it's as estranging as anything they've ever done.
    I guess this one's gonna need multiple listens.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Third - Portishead
    Odd piece of work, this latest 'comeback' CD from the once trip-hop trailblazer group. Quite enigmatic. Not unlikeable, but...odd, yet strangely familiar.
    There's a warmer, more intimate sound, yet it's as estranging as anything they've ever done.
    I guess this one's gonna need multiple listens.

I've still yet to hear this album, I've heard a couple of tracks but I really need to hear the whole album to get a feel of it. Your reaction Martijn, is not unlike other views I've heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2008
    Isn't it a great feeling to play Amy Macdonald's This is the life very loud in the car while driving on the highway with 140 km/h?
    spin ________________ spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2008
    My best guess Timmer is that your library would have a copy. It was released through our PBS system. Very powerful, moving and quite emotional film. But be prepared it is quite long!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    My best guess Timmer is that your library would have a copy. It was released through our PBS system. Very powerful, moving and quite emotional film. But be prepared it is quite long!

I've made a note of it Tom and will attempt to seek it out.

NP : ELEGY FOR BRAHMS - Hubert Parry

I've not played this in a long time, lovely romantic work tinged with both sadness and triumph.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2008
    NP : LA MER - Claude Debussy

Splended work! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2008 edited
    NP : PRELUDE A L'APRES-MIDI D' UN FAUNE - Claude Debussy

One of the most gorgeously orchestrated beautiful short pieces of classical music ever written, simply sublime! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    U2 - The Best Of !990-2000

I've never been much of a U2 fan, but there are some proper jewels in this compilation set: Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day, Until The End oF The World and of course the film-related Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Mewhich shows a positively dark and menacing U2, and the lovely, though extremely sentimental (which I *like*) The Hands That Built America (from Gangs Of New York). Very nice!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Jacques Loussier - The Bach Book & The Four Seasons

Baroque classics played as jazz pieces... I love it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    U2 - The Best Of !990-2000

I've never been much of a U2 fan, but there are some proper jewels in this compilation set: Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day, Until The End oF The World and of course the film-related Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Mewhich shows a positively dark and menacing U2, and the lovely, though extremely sentimental (which I *like*) The Hands That Built America (from Gangs Of New York). Very nice!

Completely agree with you, many good album tracks too are great. 'Hold Me Thrill Me etc' would have made a great Bond song, better IMO than the pastiche Goldeneye.

Shame U2 are so far up they're own jacksies! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Mainly due to His Holiness Bono the First, the only True Saviour of the World by Imperial Appointment of His Majestical Magnificence Bono the Righteous, Righter of Wrongs, Defender of Life, Liberty and Justice and The Last Hope of Future Generations.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Mainly due to His Holiness Bono the First, the only True Saviour of the World by Imperial Appointment of His Majestical Magnificence Bono the Righteous, Righter of Wrongs, Defender of Life, Liberty and Justice and The Last Hope of Future Generations.

biggrin LOL Yep, that's him alright though I think you've left out a title or ten wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008
    Timmer wrote
    NP : PRELUDE A L'APRES-MIDI D' UN FAUNE - Claude Debussy

One of the most gorgeously orchestrated beautiful short pieces of classical music ever written, simply sublime! cool

Just finised playing Resphigi's THE PINES OF ROME cool

Before going to bed I just HAD to play this phenomenal DEBUSSY piece again, just beautiful beyond words.

G'night sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008
    Yes it is Timmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

biggrin LOL Yep, that's him alright though I think you've left out a title or ten wink

Nothing wrong with using a platform for a message, I reckon. They probably wouldn't have kept going all these years if they hadn't played the 'heal the world' angle.

NP: IN RAINBOWS (Radiohead)

'Reckoner' and 'Jigsaw falling into place' are two of their best songs ever. cool
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am