• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008
    Good deads Michael, no doubt about it but couldn't he be a bit more humble about it and dig into his own mega-coffers more, a band that has off shore bank accounts telling poor people to dig deep....gimme a break rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. True true!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    True true!

So that Bono and the gang don't feel lonely we can add his best chums Madonna, Sting, Phil Collins etc etc .......... wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nothing wrong with using a platform for a message, I reckon.

There is when the message gets diluted by your own personality cult...and Bono has had a Messiah Complex for well over fifteen years now, witness the truly toe-curling dramatics in U2's tours these last years (did you happen to catch the "crucified" stance he's now adopted after particularly "pertinent" and "relevant" "social commentary" songs? rolleyes

They probably wouldn't have kept going all these years if they hadn't played the 'heal the world' angle.

Why not? confused
    There's plenty of bands out there that are way older which haven't adopted a similar Carrying The World Upon Mine Shoulders attitude? And it's not for lack of proper songs either. There's consistent fine material there if I listen to these Best Of albums.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nothing wrong with using a platform for a message, I reckon.

There is when the message gets diluted by your own personality cult...and Bono has had a Messiah Complex for well over fifteen years now, witness the truly toe-curling dramatics in U2's tours these last years (did you happen to catch the "crucified" stance he's now adopted after particularly "pertinent" and "relevant" "social commentary" songs? rolleyes

I must admit, I haven't been attending as often as you seem to have. wink
    I do prefer the old ZooTV days of single-entendres and ironies. At the moment they've got a bit caught up in their self-righteous 80s intensity again.

They probably wouldn't have kept going all these years if they hadn't played the 'heal the world' angle.

Why not? confused

I just think that's who they are, and if one of them had had enough of it along the way, they would have parted ways. It's not because it isn't possible to do it. Bono in particular is probably the sort of person who can't be famous and not feel guilty about that unless he feels he is socially active. Mind you, there's plenty that are that don't have fame and fortune to compensate for their labours, so it's a specious rationalisation. I kind of go both ways about it, for while I do prefer a socially active rock star to an anarchist or an indolent lout, humility is also a virtue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Horror Rhapsody----Hans Salter

The biggest issue with this one is the sound! Citadel must have taken the 78's, transferred them using a noise reduction system and nothing else. The sound is awful but it is a suite that Hans put together of some of his horror music of the 40's.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CONCERTO FOR SAXOPHONE - Michael Kamen

Lovely cool
  3. NP: SYMPHONIC FANTASTIC - Akira Ifukube

My my ... Between Ifukube, Takemitsu and Fumio Hayasaka, there certainly is a grand tradition in Japanese film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    Don't forget Joe Hisashi!!!
  4. Joe Hisaishi is more a man of our time. Ifukube, Takemitsu and Hayasaka are more like the Waxman, North and Herrmann of Japanese film music in terms of the time in which they were active and the sort of film music they wrote.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : INTRODUCTIONS IN THE DARK - Andy Sheppard

Excellent and melodic jazz from this Sax maestro cool

I think you'd like this Tom?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    However, Hisaishi can write a melody and a very good one. I was quite impressed with the new Milan release and am looking forward to hearing Spirited Away on their new vinyl division. Having said that I certainly understand your point.
  5. He is a wonderful composer, for sure. THE STORY OF THE GREAT KING AND THE FOUR GODS is one I've been listening to a lot lately from Hisaishi.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2008
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Beautiful, melodic, gorgeous....truly tis music of the gods! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008
    NP : DAPHNIS ET CHLOE - Maurice Ravel

So gorgeously orchestrated, timeless and beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON (Pink Floyd)

I think this is the most "film music-like" of PF's releases, even including THE WALL and some of their earlier scores. It's often criticized by hardcore PF fans, but I don't know why. I think it's smooth listening!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

I think this is the most "film music-like" of PF's releases, even including THE WALL and some of their earlier scores. It's often criticized by hardcore PF fans, but I don't know why. I think it's smooth listening!

Urgh, can't stand that album. Bores the bejesus out of me! I don't generally like Pink Floyd, too pub-music for my taste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

Urgh, can't stand that album. Bores the bejesus out of me! I don't generally like Pink Floyd, too pub-music for my taste.

Too what?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I don't generally like Pink Floyd, too pub-music for my taste.

shocked
    What sort of pubs do you go to?

(It's like Dead Can Dance is too brass band!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008 edited
    Pub music. I always associate Pink Floyd with old man's pub music, because I grew up in that kind of environment to a degree.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

I wish more people participated and voiced they're opinions on this thread, I love hearing everyone's POV, good or bad, it also shows just how rounded and varied our taste as film music nuts is.

p.s. it probably won't surprise you that Iagree with Thor, Steven. But "pub music"? I would put Radiohead, Coldplay, The Verve etc more in a category like that, not that there's anything wrong with it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Pub music. I always associate Pink Floyd with old man's pub music, because I grew up in that kind of environment to a degree.

I think he's referring to the kind of pubs you drink in Martijn? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have some opinions on seventies and eighties pop music if anyone's interested?

(Bregt? I suddenly seem to be banned from posting? Hello? Anyone? Hello? Help?)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I have some opinions on seventies and eighties pop music if anyone's interested?

Please enlighten me on your opinions of 70's pop music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote

Hmm...interesting. I think the only PF songs I've ever heard in pubs or similar places are "Comfortably Numb", "We Don't Need No Education" and "Learning to Fly". Other than that, you'd be hardpressed to find their stuff in such arenas. They're not mainstream enough. If someone ever played, let's say, the psychedelic "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" from UMMAGUMMA in a pub, I'd say that's ONE WEIRD PUB! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I think he's referring to the kind of pubs you drink in Martijn? wink

If I would ever enter any establishment where Pink Floyd would be playing, better believe I'd start drinking... a lot...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

<Starts humming "Stayin' Alive" and "Kung Fu Fighting">... are you sure you want to go there, Timmer? Things might get...ugly...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

<Starts humming "Stayin' Alive" and "Kung Fu Fighting">... are you sure you want to go there, Timmer? Things might get...ugly...

Yes!

Because you'll point out ALL the negatives ( many, if not most, I will agree on ) and I will show you the many possitives.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Hmm...interesting. I think the only PF songs I've ever heard in pubs or similar places are "Comfortably Numb", "We Don't Need No Education" and "Learning to Fly". Other than that, you'd be hardpressed to find their stuff in such arenas. They're not mainstream enough. If someone ever played, let's say, the psychedelic "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" from UMMAGUMMA in a pub, I'd say that's ONE WEIRD PUB! biggrin

It's rare in my experience. But you do get pub "juke box's" that have entire albums and I've heard bits n' pieces from Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and the one's you mention ( NOT Ummagumma wink ), 'See Emily Play' is very common but that was a big 60's hit and I doubt Steven would even recognise it as Pink Floyd.