• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008
    There ARE no positives.
    You have been thoroughly brainwashed into thinking that anything happened in that decade.
    We had disco (beat-thump-beat-thump-beat-thump) and progrock (45 minute of banging on a guitar without any clear idea, direction or indeed melody), and some of the worst studio recording style in history (wanna talk "dry"? What the HELL happened to percussion in the seventies?)

For seventies music, do NOT look towards pop: the true revival lies in film music!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    There ARE no positives.
    You have been thoroughly brainwashed into thinking that anything happened in that decade.
    We had disco (beat-thump-beat-thump-beat-thump) and progrock (45 minute of banging on a guitar without any clear idea, direction or indeed melody), and some of the worst studio recording style in history (wanna talk "dry"? What the HELL happened to percussion in the seventies?)

For seventies music, do NOT look towards pop: the true revival lies in film music!

NAME. THEM. NAME THEM ALL! devil
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THANK
    YOU
    MARTIJN!!!!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    THANK
    YOU
    MARTIJN!!!!

What the feck for?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008 edited
    For this! :

Martijn wrote
    There ARE no positives.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The 70's pop/rock scene rules!! punk
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    For this! :

Martijn wrote
    There ARE no positives.

For referring to the Film Music Quote? I wholeheartedly agree that it was a FANTASTIC near unbeatable decade for film scores, no question.

But pop was incredibly innovative during this decade too, for Martijn to dismiss it he must also explain why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    There is no innovation in the seventies: there are extremes to which rock was taken by the progrock scene on one hand (taking jazz and psychedelica as a guiding light, resulting in a psychotropic nightmare of stoned riffs - and yes, I'm including the who Warhol scene and excesses here) and punk on the other (which simply went back to the fifties, stylistically...only louder).

Dance music went into disco.
    I'm not even going to go into that. The epiteth 'disco' alone is negativity enough!

Grassroots and folk just went mellow and boring (what the hell are you gonna do once Vietnam is over? Neil Young? PLEASE! Heart Of Gold! Where's Barry McGuire when we need him?)

Soul went the way of the dodo as suddenly the -for want of a better expression- the Whitney Houston syndrome took over (this measn one doesn't actually need to sing a melody, the trick is to hit as many notes as possible in as short a time frame as possible without paying much attention to whetever music happens to be playing in the background).

Song music? Lounge doesn't begin to cover it! The Eagles and Elton John alternating the same damn melody over and over again with same complete lack of dynamics in recording style -already commented upon- , putting audiences all over the world to sleep...

What we need is the generation before mine to basically come out with a slogan, or a button or an internet banner, just saying: "The seventies. We apologize for the inconvenience."

biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    THREE good laughs today? It get's better and better! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Damn. And here I was putting all that effort into getting your goat
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...yeah, Martijn's post was certainly good for a laugh or two.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Damn. And here I was putting all that effort into getting your goat

kiss beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    wink

In all seriousness, I tend to be rather binary in my reactions.
    Once some sort of (random and highly subjective) critical threshold has been crossed, I tend to dismiss the whole. This is pretty much the case with seventies' music.
    Obviously there are loads of artists and songs from the seventies I love (two of my top three personal favourite albums are from that era!), but there is so much I dislike, can't identify with, do not enjoy in any measure or downright hate, that as a whole I've written of the seventies.

...as I did much of the eighties, for that matter. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What DID you like 70's wise then Martijn?

p.s. I'll give a more lengthy "possitive" reply later tonight, I'm too busy cooking dinner to do much more than sound bites ( pun intended shame cheesy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah. 70's are lame and 80's pretty much suck; pretty much. That's the point of all this wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah. 70's are lame and 80's pretty much suck; pretty much. That's the point of all this wink

WHY?

"lame" and "suck" just aren't good enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Yes. Agreed.
    That's our whole POINT about those eras!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes. Agreed.

I wonder if people will look back and see how "lame" and "suck" the 00's were for film music?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Are we running out of original stuff though? Surely we'll reach a point where everything possible has been done. I'm not saying that's any time soon, but one day it will happen, right?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Are we running out of original stuff though? Surely we'll reach a point where everything possible has been done. I'm not saying that's any time soon, but one day it will happen, right?

It's happened already hasn't it? Gustav Holst wrote Gladiator, John Barry wrote Pearl Harbor, Sergei Prokofiev wrote Enemy At The Gates etc etc dizzy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ahhhhhh! No THOSE old chestnuts again! spin

Gotta go now, but will revisit and comment when I get back.
    It's a good subject! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE DIVISION BELL (Pink Floyd)

Another great album from the Gilmour era. I have a soft spot for this, as I attended the DIVISION BELL tour concert in Oslo in 1995.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes. Agreed.

I wonder if people will look back and see how "lame" and "suck" the 00's were for film music?

We're not talking only film music here mate. Those 2 decades pretty much sucked on every level. The music, their hair, the clothes, discos, the funky junk, their HAIR again, their CLOTHES again, 80's american sitcoms, the politics, the cold war, everything!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes. Agreed.

We're not talking only film music here mate. Those 2 decades pretty much sucked on every level. The music, their hair, the clothes, discos, the funky junk, their HAIR again, their CLOTHES again, 80's american sitcoms, the politics, the cold war, everything!

I'll be commenting later.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    D. brings up some VERY valid points....
    Dif'rent Strokes... the Cosby Show...platform shoes...bell bottoms....afros.

Reagan and Breznhev and the Evil Empire were kinda cool, though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Blah....lots of great pop/rock music came in the 80's as well! As far as the 90's are concerned, though, it's only selected things that I enjoy (I ADORE the electronica and house wave, but can't stand grunge, for example!).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, and for Timmer: two of my favourite albums are
    Tarot Suite - Mike Batt (1979)
    Bat Out of Hell - Meat Loaf (1977)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh and let's not forget their SONGS. And the funky attitude and GREASE and......gosh, can't......continue...:shudder:
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Blah....lots of great pop/rock music came in the 80's as well! As far as the 90's are concerned, though, it's only selected things that I enjoy (I ADORE the electronica and house wave, but can't stand grunge, for example!).

Agree. There were exceptions of course, i am talking in general terms.

And btw, 90's were pretty nasty too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Blah....lots of great pop/rock music came in the 80's as well!

True. From 1987 onwards, things started to look up.