• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Us & Them: The London Philharmonic Orchestra Plays the music of Pink Floyd. smile

Yeah, that's it. I believe there are others as well, but I'm not quite up-to-date on the symphonic Pink Floyd CD's.

I thought the one that Steven sent me was very good, none of that "pop" element that infests many popular/classical.

Have you ever heard the Doors Concerto?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    I thought the one that Steven sent me was very good, none of that "pop" element that infests many popular/classical.

No. Is it good? Is it actually a concerto or rearranged songs?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008 edited
    NP: Symphony No. 1....Alan Rawsthorne

Rawsthorne was 45 when he wrote his 1st Symphony in 1950 a work of contrasting styles and tempos. It begins with a quite agitated and disturbing opening movement filled with interesting harmonic themes. While it appears to the untrained ear as somewhat atonal it is not. The second movement is quite bleak, Vaughan Williams like with a dash of Holst. The third movement returns to the tempo changes and restless nature of the first movement. Beginning with a loud timpani followed by the majestic brass the 4th movement seques into a series of different ideas one of them eerie, another frolicing in nature, a third developing the brass theme.

This is not a work that you can listen to once and get it unless your a degreed musicologist. The Naxos CD also includes his 2nd and 3rd Symphonies which are different in nature and might be better to listen to apart from his 1st.

If your interested Rawsthorne also has a CD of film music material available from Chandos #9749.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008 edited
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's very good Thor and no, it's not re-arranged songs, it's very well developed material, in fact there are points where I find it difficult to decipher the original material.

Arranged by Jaz Coleman and featuring the Prague symphony with no less than Nigel Kennedy on violin, it's a class effort Thor.

This was a gift to me from our old friend Marian Schedennig.

I'm sure you'll find more info by googling? smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's very good Thor and no, it's not re-arranged songs, it's very well developed material, in fact there are points where I find it difficult to decipher the original material.

Arranged by Jaz Coleman and featuring the Prague symphony with no less than Nigel Kennedy on violin, it's a class effort Thor.

This was a gift to me from our old friend Marian Schedennig.

I'm sure you'll find more info by googling? smile

Well, I was going to give the "above" a spin but I can't find it at the moment? slant So....

NP : AMERICANS - John Barry

Gorgeous jazz album from when Barry took a year off from film composing in 1976 ( kinda sounds like now....except permanent sad ), great music featuring superb musicians plus small orchestra and very evocative. cool

Please PLEASE someone release this on CD.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm letting this play while I go to sleep....

NP : ETERNAL ECHOES - John Barry

Beautiful and haunting, also quite underrated IMO.

g'night wave sleep
  1. Timmer wrote

Well, it would certainly help. cool
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. NP: Firebird (Igor Stravinsky, Sydney Symphony Orchestra)

It will come as no surprise to anyone that I think this is a fairly good piece of music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well, it would certainly help. cool

smile beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Firebird (Igor Stravinsky, Sydney Symphony Orchestra)

It will come as no surprise to anyone that I think this is a fairly good piece of music.

Yeah, not bad I s'pose....He done antything else good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008 edited
    NP: BARRETT (Syd Barrett)

His first solo album from 1970. You definitely have to be in the mood for this. Despite its naïve style, it's not easy listening. Lots of repetition and circular melodies.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: Piano Concerto and Grey Mist (Wojciech Kilar)

Undulating, meditative piece with a fantastic energetic 'Toccata' in the final movement of the concerto.

Next up: Violin Concerto (Glass)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Piano Concerto and Grey Mist (Wojciech Kilar)

Undulating, meditative piece with a fantastic energetic 'Toccata' in the final movement of the concerto.

Next up: Violin Concerto (Glass)

Grey Mist? What album is this on?

NP : PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION - Modest Mussorgsky

Superb!
  4. Actually 'Grey Mist' isn't as interesting as the Piano Concerto or the other main work on the CD, Koscielec 1909. It's a Naxos cd:

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.557813
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Actually 'Grey Mist' isn't as interesting as the Piano Concerto or the other main work on the CD, Koscielec 1909. It's a Naxos cd:

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.557813

I have it!

If anyone see's my marbles orbiting in the vacinity of Jupiter please return them rolleyes
  5. Over there at the Journey Scores topic I once again became aware that I´m a total crap when it comes to "classical" composers; I know almost nothing, beside the "usual" stuff.

The only thing I ever encountered that´s a more recent composition but totally worthwhile is Richard Einhorn´s Voices of Light.

http://www.richardeinhorn.com/VOL/VOLHomepage.html

And there are audio tracks, too. Look at the menu above.
  6. VOICES OF LIGHT is a masterpiece. And the experience of it with the film is a truly memorable experience if can get hold of a copy. It is a soundtrack actually, though an unconventional one - it was written some 60 years after the film was made.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    VOICES OF LIGHT is a masterpiece. And the experience of it with the film is a truly memorable experience if can get hold of a copy. It is a soundtrack actually, though an unconventional one - it was written some 60 years after the film was made.

I have you to thank for this one Michael, very good too even though this is one of a few albums Mel has "stolen" off me. smile wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Over there at the Journey Scores topic I once again became aware that I´m a total crap when it comes to "classical" composers; I know almost nothing, beside the "usual" stuff.

The only thing I ever encountered that´s a more recent composition but totally worthwhile is Richard Einhorn´s Voices of Light.

http://www.richardeinhorn.com/VOL/VOLHomepage.html

And there are audio tracks, too. Look at the menu above.

Just wondering what classical you actually are familiar with Ralph? When you say usual stuff do you mean Tchaikovsky? Holst? Vivaldi? Beethoven etc? All the very popular stuff.
  7. Yeah, exactly, and familiar in the sense of "knowing by listening". I may be able to recognize the most famous "tunes", can say if something sounds like Bach or Mozart, but beyond that, I just enjoy when something´s on the radio. I will recognize certain things from Peer Gynt, The Ring, and The Planets, and can probably hum along most of the usual stuff.

When in school, our choir sang Mozart´s C-moll Messe, Bach´s H-moll Messe, and Bach´s Matthäuspassion, as well as Die Schöpfung by Haydn. Those might be the works I´m most familiar with, though it´s years since I last listened to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MASSIVE ATTACK - Collected (2CD) (BEST-OF)

Awesome stuff.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MADCAP LAUGHS (Syd Barrett)

More psychedelic madness.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008 edited
    Thor wrote

Barrett was an acid casualty. Just wondering, do you find it disturbing listening to this stuff?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Barrett was an acid casualty. Just wondering, do you find it disturbing listening to this stuff?

No, not really. Since this has numerous outtakes (where he has to start over or where he doesn't hit notes or where simply "phazes" out), I think it's more fascinating than disturbing. As I said earlier, it's not an easy listen and the musical values are easily missed. But they're there, especially if you're in the mood.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

No, not really. Since this has numerous outtakes (where he has to start over or where he doesn't hit notes or where simply "phazes" out), I think it's more fascinating than disturbing. As I said earlier, it's not an easy listen and the musical values are easily missed. But they're there, especially if you're in the mood.

Indeed! It's not really my cuppa though I can appreciate it.

I sometimes try to wonder what Pink Floyd would have been like had Barrett not spectacularly de-railed? Impossible really.

...a possibility that Dave Gilmour would never have become part of the line up?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

I sometimes try to wonder what Pink Floyd would have been like had Barrett not spectacularly de-railed? Impossible really.

...a possibility that Dave Gilmour would never have become part of the line up?

Maybe. But I'm thankful that Gilmour became a part of it, because his "sound" is my favourite PF sound after Waters. Barrett isn't really my cup of tea either, but being a PF completist, I was "forced" to check out his solo albums and some of this stuff has grown on me. It's not necessarily something I put on to have a good time, though.

NP: OPEL (Syd Barrett)

His third and last solo album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The question I would have of Mr. Conrad is not the work but the quality of the performance. I have a couple of awfully good recordings in my collection. #1... Pierre Boulez and the N.Y. Philharmonic recorded in 1975 and #2... Igor Stravinsky and the Columbia Symphony Orchestra recorded in 1961.
  8. sdtom wrote
    The question I would have of Mr. Conrad is not the work but the quality of the performance. I have a couple of awfully good recordings in my collection. #1... Pierre Boulez and the N.Y. Philharmonic recorded in 1975 and #2... Igor Stravinsky and the Columbia Symphony Orchestra recorded in 1961.

Hi Tom (call me Michael!). The SSO recording was one I bought a while back as it was available for a discount, and I haven't since got another copy of the whole ballet (as opposed to the more common Firebird suite) to compare the Sydney Symphony Orchestra with. I can't find a review of the disc at the usual places either. This was the album:

http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.a … tid=316934
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    Voicst - A Tale Of two Devils

The latest outing of indie rockers Voicst (who, to my amazement as they sound VERY Brit scene-ish, are in fact Dutch!) is a great collection of up-tempo rock material with a very fresh and summery (yet certainly not fluffy!) sound. I caught their performance on Pinkpop (one of Holland's biggest pop festivals) and was immediately captivated by their sound.

Extremely enjoyable, with a huge replay value!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    Michael, I'd recommend that you purchase this fine 22 CD set of his work. There are no frills in this set save an excellent price!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Works-Igor-Stra … B000PTYUQG

Tom smile