• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2008
    Steven wrote
    How To Save A Life The Fray

One of my favourite modern albums. I really like the lead singer's vocals, much better than a lot of this indie crap in Britain at the moment.

punk cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BROKEN CHINA (Richard Wright)

Wright's second, and to date LAST solo album from the mid 90's. Even smoother than its predecessor. It's like the dreamy side of Pink Floyd, distilled! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SYMPHONY NO. 9 "CHORAL" (Ludwig van Beethoven)

Yeah, I thought it was time to listen to some really obscure classical music! :D

This is the classic Deutsche Grammophon recording with Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2008
    Thor wrote
    NP: SYMPHONY NO. 9 "CHORAL" (Ludwig van Beethoven)

Yeah, I thought it was time to listen to some really obscure classical music! :D

This is the classic Deutsche Grammophon recording with Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic.

Same one I have....BRILLIANT! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2008 edited
    NP : FIRST CIRCLE - Pat Metheny Group

brilliant! Brilliant! BRILLIANT! album.

The opening track must be one of the most mis-leading album intros ever. It always conjures up a medal laden moustachiod South American tin-pot dictator stepping off a train ( grinning like a muthafucka ) in some godforsaken mountain railway station to be greeted by an out of tune military band biggrin

Martin ( Tintin ) would know exactly what I mean. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2008 edited
    NP : THE LORD OF THE RINGS - Bo Hansson

Not played this for a loooooooonnnnnng time! An old favourite from years ago, this album is purely instrumental best described as kind of prog rock / jazz, very good too! cool

p.s. the actual album title is Music Inspired by Lord Of The Rings wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Not everything is English. tongue

It means "with a buzz in our ears we play endlessly". Icelandic. There's also a song in English though, and one in Hopelandic, a language they invented themselves, and used a lot on their album without a name, or "( )".

Hmmmm? I wonder how many artists have created they're own language? Have you heard of The Cocteau Twins Bregt? They also sing in they're own 'made up' language.

Haven't heard the Cocteau Twins.

But didn't Dead Can Dance and Lisa Gerrard had their own language? Or was that more of a sound language without actual words and such.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DAVID GILMOUR (David Gilmour)

His first solo album (of three in total) from the late 70's. Great prog-pop!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008
    NP: The Island...Philip Sainton

A wonderful romantic 20th century British work. The music was used in Moby Dick.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2008
    NP : THE CANYON - Philip Glass

A piece that would surprise Glass nay-sayers, complex and powerful, excellent stuff! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2008
    NP : Best of - Stevie Wonder

Hardly!

I'll be stopping this as soon as it get's to his horrible 80's stuff! The 60's and 70's material is brilliant, Stevie was a genius.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Sergei Prokofiev

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008 edited
    NP: Symphony No. 6 "Pathétique" - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008
    með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust | sigur ros

I can't stop playing this. I'm going Jordi and Steven mode. What a wonderful album, full of joy, emotion and a unique atmosphere. What a band.

Does anybody else here know Sigur Ros?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008 edited
    Bregt wrote
    I'm going Jordi and Steven mode.

...and Steven mode? AND Steven mode!? angry

(Yeah, you're right. I do do that.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust | sigur ros

I can't stop playing this. I'm going Jordi and Steven mode. What a wonderful album, full of joy, emotion and a unique atmosphere. What a band.

Does anybody else here know Sigur Ros?

Only in small bits!

I like some of what I've heard though. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LA MER - Claude Debussy

Exquisite! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : 1962 - 1966 - The Beatles

The worlds most overrated band.......according to some ill-informed people! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008 edited
    NP: Carmina Burana - Carl Orff

I love this work, which is actually more of a collection of different songs than a whole single piece. Carmina Burana: I. O Fortuna is the highlight of the work, I would say, appearing twice as the work's opening and closing song. Some really dark choir found throughout that song, as well as in Carmina Burana: II. Fortune plango vulnera, where the trumpets go insane in a couple sections. punk biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

The worlds most overrated band.......according to some ill-informed people! tongue

Oh hai! wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    Timmer wrote

Who can't back it up! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

They inspired JNH apparently, I like em. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

They inspired JNH apparently, I like em. biggrin

Ah! Elton John's old conducter....makes sense! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008 edited
    NP: Symphony No. 5 - Jean Sibelius

Definitely one of my favorite symphonies, and the work that first got me interested in classical music. The first movement is one of my favorite movements ever, I think, and though it is not upbeat, as most of my favorites are, it is able to hold my attention better than any other piece I would otherwise deem 'boring.' Excellent themes! My other favorite movement is the third, the finale, which is absolutely incredible! Very lyrical horn theme, dubbed the 'swan theme,' as the composer wrote it in his diary after seeing sixteen swans fly overheard. The end of the movement utilizes brass dissonance, crescendoing to the final six separated chords, struck at the conductor's cue. Very good work, one of my favorites!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: Symphony No. 5 - Jean Sibelius

Definitely one of my favorite symphonies, and the work that first got me interested in classical music. The first movement is one of my favorite movements ever, I think, and though it is not upbeat, as most of my favorites are, it is able to hold my attention better than any other piece I would otherwise deem 'boring.' Excellent themes! My other favorite movement is the third, the finale, which is absolutely incredible! Very lyrical horn theme, dubbed the 'swan theme,' as the composer wrote it in his diary after seeing sixteen swans fly overheard. The end of the movement utilizes brass dissonance, crescendoing to the final six separated chords, struck at the conductor's cue. Very good work, one of my favorites!

I've always loved Sibelius works. Particularly Kullervo, Finlandia & The Swan of Tuenelo.

NP : THE WASPS OVERTURE - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Beautiful, energetic piece that just breathes with life, perfect for this hot, sunny evening. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ENGULFED CATHEDRAL - Claude Debussy

An awesome piece of music and orchestrated by the great Leopold Stokowski no less!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Greatest Hits Red Hot Chili Peppers

One of my favourite Summer albums, full of CHOONES!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    NP: Symphony No. 6 "Tragic" - Gustav Mahler

One of my favorite Mahler symphonies, as well as one of my favorite pieces in general. First and last movements are my favorites. Really dark (compared to some of the others) throughout much of the work. Awesome themes (one of which he actually wrote for his girlfriend/wife), brilliant orchestration, overall a very good listen. I highly recommend it! punk biggrin
  1. Timmer wrote

At the risk of having to field some abuse, in my youth, I always preferred The Monkees.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: White Ghost Dancing (Ross Edwards)

Includes Edwards' vibrant 'Concerto for Guitar and Strings' and the awesome, Arvo Part-like 'Veni Creator Spiritus', the latter being one of my favourite modern compositions.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am