• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008
    confused one can only imagine
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: Beethoven's Last Night (A Last Illusion; it's the only track I currently own from this album sad ) - Kinkel, Ludwig van Beethoven, O'Neill, Rimsky-Korsakov & Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Some really sweet electric guitar stuff! Awesome arrangement of well-known classical works. I don't usually go for remixes and arrangements of classical pieces, but this one just blows me away every time I hear it! The Trans-Siberian Orchestra is absolutely fantastic, and I really hope to get the rest of this album sometime.

Interesting. Modern day remixes of classical music usually make me vomit See Vanessa May for instance, i hate her, her playing and her "remixes" with passion.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: Beethoven's Last Night (A Last Illusion; it's the only track I currently own from this album sad ) - Kinkel, Ludwig van Beethoven, O'Neill, Rimsky-Korsakov & Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Some really sweet electric guitar stuff! Awesome arrangement of well-known classical works. I don't usually go for remixes and arrangements of classical pieces, but this one just blows me away every time I hear it! The Trans-Siberian Orchestra is absolutely fantastic, and I really hope to get the rest of this album sometime.

Interesting. Modern day remixes of classical music usually make me vomit See Vanessa May for instance, i hate her, her playing and her "remixes" with passion.

I don't care much for her interpretations either but there's no doubt she can play exceptionally and she's also a babe! lick cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

I don't care much for her interpretations either but there's no doubt she can play exceptionally and she's also a babe! lick cool

Well, i was in one of her concerts here in Greece a couple of years back mate and it was all hideous playback, confirmed by friend violinists who were along with me too. Everyone got so upset and disappointed, she sucks big time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Well, i was in one of her concerts here in Greece a couple of years back mate and it was all hideous playback, confirmed by friend violinists who were along with me too. Everyone got so upset and disappointed, she sucks big time.

"she sucks big time"????

Ohhhhh heaven lick cool biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh yeah; i'd wish that but it's not what i meant in the first place hehe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

I usually don't like modern remixes either. vomit But this one I think is actually pretty cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2008
    NP: The Planets, Op. 32 - Gustav Holst

My friend, a trumpet player, introduced me to this work (though I had heard small bits of Mars shortly beforehand), and I am very glad he did! This work captures a lot of the mystery and awe that grasps us when viewing the planets on photos or in the night sky. Mars and Jupiter are my favorites, I think. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Planets is a lot more satisfying work for me! If you own a nice audio system this is one to purchase in a 'showcase' version. The Telarc recording is a good one and can be gotten directly from the company or through Amazon of course. I like the older Telarc recordings as they are sonically superior in their recording techniques. Previn is a good conductor and the Royal Philharmonic is top drawer.

http://www.amazon.com/Gustav-Holst-Plan … B000003CU0

Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    The Planets is a lot more satisfying work for me! If you own a nice audio system this is one to purchase in a 'showcase' version. The Telarc recording is a good one and can be gotten directly from the company or through Amazon of course. I like the older Telarc recordings as they are sonically superior in their recording techniques. Previn is a good conductor and the Royal Philharmonic is top drawer.

http://www.amazon.com/Gustav-Holst-Plan … B000003CU0

Tom smile

Thanks for the suggestion! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008
    NP: Orchestral Works Vol. 2...Leroy Anderson

An American classical composer who wrote more for the Boston Pops creating memorable melodies and unusual percussion and sounds such as "The Typewriter" (1950). I wonder if Dario got an idea from this? "The Phantom Regiment" sounds like it came from a Jimmy Stewart 1950's western and "The Penny Whistle Song" could very well have been background music for a 1950's commercial. "Sandpiper Ballet" takes use of you'll never guess what.

Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    NP : SYMPHONY # 3 'PASTORAL' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Absolute and total bliss! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008
    NP : SYMPHONY # 50 'Mt. St, Helens - Alan Hovhaness

Fantastic modern work, the percussion in "Volcano" is extraordinary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote

Wow. I'm sad and ashamed to say I have never before heard of him or his work. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

Wow. I'm sad and ashamed to say I have never before heard of him or his work. shame

Please check him out William, his music is great and, most importantly, very accessable.

I "discovered" this composer through his 'And God Created Great Whales' about 15 years ago and have bought most of his available output since. Most film score fans seem to have discovered Hovhaness via John Williams The Five Sacred Trees album where Williams conducts Hovhaness fabulous 'Mysterious Mountain'.

There are a few posters on this board who are familiar with Hovhaness works and all have been possitive.

Check him out. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

Please check him out William, his music is great and, most importantly, very accessable.

I "discovered" this composer through his 'And God Created Great Whales' about 15 years ago and have bought most of his available output since. Most film score fans seem to have discovered Hovhaness via John Williams The Five Sacred Trees album where Williams conducts Hovhaness fabulous 'Mysterious Mountain'.

There are a few posters on this board who are familiar with Hovhaness works and all have been possitive.

Check him out. smile

I will! Thanks a lot. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    When you get around to doing that please let me know what you think William!? smile

NP : THE FIREBIRD - Igor Stravinsky

Brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    When you get around to doing that please let me know what you think William!? smile

NP : THE FIREBIRD - Igor Stravinsky

Brilliant!

Yes, very brilliant! I love this work, especially the Finale with the horn solo. punk Really great music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It has been said by many that his Rite of Spring was the most influential work written in the 20th Century.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    It has been said by many that his Rite of Spring was the most influential work written in the 20th Century.
    Tom smile

I too have heard that before. I wouldn't be surprised if that's true. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom smile

Well, there's no doubt it's influence on film scores is incredibly wide ranging, particularly in the work of Jerry Goldsmith. The Jawa sequence in STAR WARS references it too.

For me it'll forever be associated with Dinosaurs due to it's use in Disney's FANTASIA.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom smile

Well, there's no doubt it's influence on film scores is incredibly wide ranging, particularly in the work of Jerry Goldsmith. The Jawa sequence in STAR WARS references it too.

For me it'll forever be associated with Dinosaurs due to it's use in Disney's FANTASIA.

I agree about Fantasia. And I also know about the Star Wars reference to it. If I remember correctly, George Lucas originally thought no modern composer could do justice musically to his Star Wars film, and had actually intended on using classical works for the film (or at least as temp tracks). I have no doubt in my mind that The Rite of Spring is one of those works that he used.
  1. For most influential piece of classical music of the twentieth century, I feel I'd have to go with one of Schoenberg's early atonal pieces. More composers consciously followed in his footsteps throughout the twentieth century than in Stravinsky's. Even Stravinsky tried his hand at twelve tone writing late in life.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    For most influential piece of classical music of the twentieth century, I feel I'd have to go with one of Schoenberg's early atonal pieces. More composers consciously followed in his footsteps throughout the twentieth century than in Stravinsky's. Even Stravinsky tried his hand at twelve tone writing late in life.

Bela Bartok too.

NP : THE FEN COUNTRY - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Sublime.
  2. Now headbanging to : THE BLACK ALBUM - METALLICA

I love this CD!! The production sound is nothing short of stellar (those drums dizzy ) and James Hetfield's voice sounded never better. Full of riveting guitar solos, brutal percussion and awesome lyrics this one remains my all time fave Metallica. And who can forget 'The Unforgiven' and 'Nothing Else Matters'? punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008 edited
    NP: Symphony No. 1 - William Walton

Got this for my birthday. Great work; I wasn't as fond of it at first, but it has really grown on me. The brass dissonance in the first movement is awesome! punk biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote

Got this for my birthday. Great work; I wasn't as fond of it at first, but it has really grown on me. The brass dissonance in the first movement is awesome! punk biggrin

cool

Have you heard his 'Spitfire Prelude and Fugue'?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

cool

No. Is that a good one?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

cool

No. Is that a good one?

It's excellent music and can be found on various compilations ( it's not a long piece ), it was actually written for the film THE FIRST OF THE FEW.

Walton would revisit writing music about Spitfire's in 1969's THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN, though this time it was heavily influenced by Malcolm Arnold's short concert work 'Tam O' Shanter'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

cool

No. Is that a good one?

It's excellent music and can be found on various compilations ( it's not a long piece ), it was actually written for the film THE FIRST OF THE FEW.

Walton would revisit writing music about Spitfire's in 1969's THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN, though this time it was heavily influenced by Malcolm Arnold's short concert work 'Tam O' Shanter'.

Cool. I'll be sure to check it out. wink beer