• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2008 edited
    Fit To Be Tied (greatest hits) - Joan Jett and The Blackhearts

Some really good (World Of Denial, I Hate Myself For Loving You) and some really cheesy (Cherry Bomb, Bad Reputation) early eighties hard rock from one of rocks female legends. I was SO into her when I was young (Well, I wish...love. Erm. I mean...ehm. Well, you know what I mean. shame ). Man, this takes me back years... decades! It still sounds good, but so dated and well, tame in comparison to today's metal and hard rock bands!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2008
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/11/08/f … monymckay/

Outstanding piece I can highly recommend

Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008
    NP : SYMPHONY # 3 'PASTORAL' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

As it's rememberance day I thought I'd play this sublime work, the original sketches for which RVW wrote while an ambulance driver in France during the first world war. The second movement is one of the most achingly poignant pieces I have ever heard in music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If you read the comments below the review you'll see where the son of the composer responded and e-mailed me. In fact he made the comment that not only would I have enjoyed talking with his father he would have enjoyed talking to me.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    If you read the comments below the review you'll see where the son of the composer responded and e-mailed me. In fact he made the comment that not only would I have enjoyed talking with his father he would have enjoyed talking to me.
    Thomas smile

biggrin

Good review Tom, it made me very interested in this work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SYMPHONY # 3 'PASTORAL' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

As it's rememberance day I thought I'd play this sublime work, the original sketches for which RVW wrote while an ambulance driver in France during the first world war. The second movement is one of the most achingly poignant pieces I have ever heard in music.

I've hardly heard this, it's too great a work not to give it my undevided attention so it's off with the computer and hitting replay.

See yas later wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008
    Timmer you can check this out at http://www.classicsonline.com/ and listen to clips.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer you can check this out at http://www.classicsonline.com/ and listen to clips.

Thanks Tom. wink

NP : MUSIC OF THE SPHERES - Mike Oldfield

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll be getting for review later in the month an interesting American Classic set from Delos. At least as Timmer and Martijn are aware, I've been spending a little more time listening to some rather unknown composers and really liking it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I'll be getting for review later in the month an interesting American Classic set from Delos. At least as Timmer and Martijn are aware, I've been spending a little more time listening to some rather unknown composers and really liking it.

All power to you Tom, there's a whole lot of great listening out there beyond a world of film scores that is fantastic and a lot of it is far farrrrr better than a lot of the popular mediochrity being pumped out by many film composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008
    You got that right Timmer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008
    NP: GROHG...Aaron Copland This is a vampire ballet based on the famed Nosferatu. I'm still a big explorer of Copland!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    NP:SYMPHONY NO. 1...Aaron Copland This is yet another work of Copland's that is seldom performed, if at all. It is based on one of his very early works (he was 23) and written for his teacher Nadia Boulanger who performed on the organ. It was rewritten in 1928 with woodwinds and brass replacing the organ parts.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I was listening to the first movement again I can definitely pick-up on the fact that T. Newman did study Copland. I can hear it in the strings of the movement.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    As I was listening to the first movement again I can definitely pick-up on the fact that T. Newman did study Copland. I can hear it in the strings of the movement.

I really need to listen to some Copland soon, it's been too long. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Have you ever?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    NP: GROHG...Aaron Copland This is a vampire ballet based on the famed Nosferatu.

shocked
    It's a WHAT now?

I need to have a listen to this!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Have you ever?

But of course Tom cool

Just not recently.

( I've never heard the Vampire ballet and like Martijn, I need to )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Have you ever?

...ever felt like this? How strange things happen? Are you going round the twist?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Have you ever?

...ever felt like this? How strange things happen? Are you going round the twist?

....or even seen The Mist?

shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue … pid=657801

The last three tracks (7,8,9) are derived from his ballet "Grohg" and as I've said before if you've not registered you may and are entitled to three free tracks. Although the seldom played but first two symphonies which comprise the rest of the CD are really quite good.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thus I can recommend the entire CD as a good value. There won't be any low quantity alerts or a sellout. If it does sellout they'll just press more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Have you ever?

...walked through a room
    And it was more like the room passed around you
    Like there was a leash around your neck that pulled you through

Have you ever been at someplace
    Recognizing everybody's face
    Until you realized that there was no one there you knew
    Well I know

Some days, my soul's confined and out of mind
    Sleep forever
    Some days, I'm so outshined and out of time
    Have you ever

Falling, I'm falling
    Falling, I'm falling

punk punk punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You like The Offspring Martijn?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeahhhhh! Melodious punkrock!
    Doesn't get any better than that! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Yeahhhhh! Melodious punkrock!
    Doesn't get any better than that! cool

cool

Not playing any music I was getting sleepy at the computer until I clicked your link, thanks! biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Let me get ma buckit.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Go develop some taste, young man!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "Punk" looks ridiculously similar to "Puke"; not my fault. As for rock and metal goes, i'd rather bang ma head a bit with the likes of fine gents like SLAYER, SEPULTURA, MACHINE HEAD wink punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Somehow I'm not missing much I think