• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008
    Thanks Martijn for the cool description of them. I listened to their new Xmas album that was sent to me from Telarc. I concur that it was well performed but quite predictable. The word improvisation doesn't seem to be in their vocabulary.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    NP: The Phantom of the Opera (Original Cast Recording) - Andrew Lloyd Webber

Excellent album, though the orchestra isn't as full-sounding as that of the film version.

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! shocked

What? confused biggrin

My apologies William shame

I just really can't stand Andrew Lloyd Webber vomit

I'm not a big fan of his other stuff, but I can't help but like Phantom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like SOME Lloyd-Webber stuff, but not all of it. EVITA is pretty good, for example.

NP: IMAGES / LA MER / PRELUDE A L'APRESMIDI D'UN FAUNE (Claude Debussy)

Los Angeles Philharmonic & Esa Pekka Salonen. This one gets a regular spin over here. Smooth programmatic music not THAT dissimilar to film music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008
    Debussy would have written film music. Remember he wrote his saxophone piece for a patron for a lot of money.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I like SOME Lloyd-Webber stuff, but not all of it. EVITA is pretty good, for example.

Los Angeles Philharmonic & Esa Pekka Salonen. This one gets a regular spin over here. Smooth programmatic music not THAT dissimilar to film music.

Debussy is incredible! Beyond words!! cool

I'll have to check out the Salonen recording. Does it contain 'Engulfed Cathedral' Thor?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Debussy is incredible! Beyond words!! cool

I'll have to check out the Salonen recording. Does it contain 'Engulfed Cathedral' Thor?

'fraid not. I'll have to check that out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Star Wars Party - Meco

Meco's latest -and I hope to The Force last rolleyes - milking of the Star Wars franchise.
    His very first 1977 disco version was nothing short of genius. His reworking of The Imperial March/Yoda's Theme into an infectious beat-filled medley inspired...but everything after that has shown a steep decline, with this one pretty much hitting rock bottom at light speed... Jesus, Mary and Joseph, this is bad. It's so bad it surpasses all boundaries of good taste and moves into a category of its own.

There are two or three references to Williams' themes, but about 90% is ancient semi (but not quite) disco tunes (or just a beat with a drone) overlayed with random Star Wars samples.
    There's no creativity, no joy, no rhyme, no reason, no point.
    It's awful.
    Just awful.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Star Wars Party - Meco

Meco's latest -and I hope to The Force last rolleyes - milking of the Star Wars franchise.
    His very first 1977 disco version was nothing short of genius. His reworking of The Imperial March/Yoda's Theme into an infectious beat-filled medley inspired...but everything after that has shown a steep decline, with this one pretty much hitting rock bottom at light speed... Jesus, Mary and Joseph, this is bad. It's so bad it surpasses all boundaries of good taste and moves into a category of its own.

There are two or three references to Williams' themes, but about 90% is ancient semi (but not quite) disco tunes (or just a beat with a drone) overlayed with random Star Wars samples.
    It's awful.
    Just awful.

shocked :shudder:

Did you buy it?

Do you reember a ( band? Individual? ) called NOSTROMO? Did superb disco versions of Goldsmith's Alien and Barry's The Black Hole.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Isn't that the name of the ship from Alien?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Isn't that the name of the ship from Alien?

Top of the class beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP:Returning Waves...Karlowicz
    Back to this again. This is on the same caliber as works from Tchaikovsky, Debussy, and Strauss yet it is unknown.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Fisherman's Woman - Emilíana Torrini

I went to see her perform at a small venue in Fremantle tonight and it was really very good indeed. Aside from the lovely voice that she has, she is a genuinely funny and completely charming young woman. Some of the little stories she told in-between songs had the crowd in hysterics. I feel this is her best album, a disc full of delicate and touching songs which sooth the mind.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    LSH wrote
    Emilíana Torrini

rrrrrRRRRRRRAAAAAAHHHHHH The Tormentini name was mentioned... blood... pressure...rising... crazy

really very good indeed.

confused
    lovely voice

dizzy
    genuinely funny

shocked
    completely charming

angry
    her best album

flash
    delicate and touching songs which sooth the mind.

explode

... I need my pills...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Star Wars Party - Meco

It's awful.
    Just awful.

Meco rules! End of story. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008 edited
    RuleD. RuleD.
    slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh come on! Italian disco is eternal. ETERNAL, I say!!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008 edited
    His fire has gone out of the Universe. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008
    Italian.Disco.

I think i'll pass out now.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    When Thor mentions eternal I wonder if much of this soundtrack material will be remembered in say 2130.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    sdtom wrote
    When Thor mentions eternal I wonder if much of this soundtrack material will be remembered in say 2130.

I seriously hope mankind makes it that far. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008 edited
    Le BÅ“uf sur le toit - Darius Milhaud

(Why does the composer/artist have to be BIG and RED?)
  1. That's just how Timmer writes it smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008
    When you think of Beethoven's Fifth it will always be remembered.
    But will we remember The Omen?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Mosaic...Elliott Carter And he was a young 97 when he wrote it. His 100th year is going to be celebrated. An amazing life
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    When you think of Beethoven's Fifth it will always be remembered.
    But will we remember The Omen?

No! People will still think Orff's Carmina Burana is the theme for devil children.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...or for a Cimmerian barbarian... slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    ...or for a Cimmerian barbarian... slant

....and Arthurian knights.....oh wait!? At least they actually used Orff for that. wink

.....and let's not forget Old Spice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The used Old Spice for Arthurian Knights?
    Surely it was still called Ancient Spice then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Ancient Spice

...or was that the grandmother of Victoria Beckham?
  2. biggrin biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website