• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What?

He said.......oh never mind, I agree with you! smile

rolleyes

If it makes you feel better many dissonant pieces sound bad.....fact! biggrin

Not at all; Everything Goldenthal - for istance - ever wrote is ages ahead than the majority of standard, non-so special film music out there.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What?

He said.......oh never mind, I agree with you! smile

rolleyes

If it makes you feel better many dissonant pieces sound bad.....fact! biggrin

Not at all; Everything Goldenthal - for istance - ever wrote is ages ahead than the majority of standard, non-so special film music out there.

True! But there are some concert works that make Goldenthal at his most dissonant sound like pop music ( and usualy not in a good way )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    True! But there are some concert works that make Goldenthal at his most dissonant sound like pop music ( and usualy not in a good way )

Indeed, and it's questionable if these things are indeed music. When, exactly, does one transgress the limit of "organized sound" that music is? You know, like Cage's 4'33. But that's for another topic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    John Cage's 4'33 isn't dissonance. I'd state my opinion but i rather not as i know there exist some fans of this stuff and yes, i agree it's for another topic.

As far as dissonance goes, listen to Penderecki. That's brilliance for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    John Cage's 4'33 isn't dissonance. I'd state my opinion but i rather not as i know there exist some fans of this stuff and yes, i agree it's for another topic.

No, no. Of course it's not dissonance. It's just....nothing. But it's an example of something that goes beyond what one may define as "music". Same with some of the crazy things that Stockhausen produced, for example. There's also that whole "noise music" wave, which may or may not be a contradiction in terms. Stuff like that.

Penderecki, on the other hand, or Ligeti, use dissonance within an organized setting. That's definitely music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I agree.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well put Thor.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THERE & BACK - Jeff Beck

Purely instrumental jazz / rock album, Brilliant! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008 edited
    My first post on this thread. biggrin

NP: Wicked: Original Broadway Cast Recording - Stephen Schwartz

The voices of two main actresses are amazing!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008
    NP: BERGLIOT...Edvard Grieg
    Music and text. One of his lesser performed works.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    NP: BERGLIOT...Edvard Grieg
    Music and text. One of his lesser performed works.
    Thomas

For sure cos I've never heard it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BEYONDNESS OF THINGS - John Barry

Sublime! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008
    NP: OVERTURE TO A SYMPHONY CONCERT...Miklos Rozsa

To me this is a big deal as it is like listening to an overture to a score for a movie that was never made! It was written in 1956 but it has not only the brass fanfare of the the biblical pieces but a hint of that noir style of The Killers or Lost Weekend.

http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue … pid=675499

You could join classicsonline for free and download this track for free to see how the system works.

Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Seeing as it's Halloween I thought I'd give this a spin....

NP : TAM O' SHANTER - Malcolm Arnold

Brilliant short concert work about a drunk Irishman being chased through the forest by demons, goblins and faeries.

A riotous piece that deserves a good LOUD play punk cool

I just had to play this again, it's wonderful! cool

Anyone else here familiar with the piece?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE PLANETS - Gustav Holst

In my life, I wonder how many times I've played this? This isn't the last time, not even this year.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2008
    NP : EXODUS - Wojciech Kilar

Fantastic work with a Bolero like structure, accessable and as good ( if not better ) as anything he's ever written for film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: ROUTE 66 THAT NELSON RIDDLE SOUND...Cincinnati Pops

While Nelson did a soundtrack or two and is famous for his themes to The Untouchables and Route 66 he really spent his life as master orchestrator who developed a sound that is unmistakenly his own. A swing band with signature bass trombone, muted trumpet, and even his strings had a unique style.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    NP: ROUTE 66 THAT NELSON RIDDLE SOUND...Cincinnati Pops

While Nelson did a soundtrack or two and is famous for his themes to The Untouchables and Route 66 he really spent his life as master orchestrator who developed a sound that is unmistakenly his own. A swing band with signature bass trombone, muted trumpet, and even his strings had a unique style.
    Thomas smile

....and his fantastic and memorable scoring for the 60's Batman TV show Tom.

I love Riddle's arrangements, this man put the swing into a lot of big stars, foremost amongst them being Frank Sinatra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Linda Rondstadt, and Judy Garland among others. But I agree he helped put Sinatra on the map.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: A STAR IS BORN...Judy Garland

The lady could sing and the Warner Brothers Orchestra conducted by Ray Heindorf was the best.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Self-made compilation of Afro Celt Sound System

This group have produced some pretty interesting and engaging material over the years - I'm a big fan. A close friend who was lucky enough to go see them perform told me they are utterly awesome live. I can only imagine! shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2008 edited
    LSH wrote
    NP: Self-made compilation of Afro Celt Sound System

This group have produced some pretty interesting and engaging material over the years - I'm a big fan. A close friend who was lucky enough to go see them perform told me they are utterly awesome live. I can only imagine! shocked

Oh god yeah! Utterly awesome live!!

I was privilaged enough to see them on the stage I was working on at Glastonbury a few years ago, one of the best gigs I've ever seen, wild stuff and the musicianship of all involved was nothing short of incredible ( the percussion section is unbelievable ), this group deserve every superlative aimed at them, I would also say that, just like I mentioned about THE EGG recently ( another awesome live band ), Afro Celt sound very different from they're polished studio albums.

If you get the chance to see them live.....GO GO GOGOGOGOGOGO!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Wow! You lucky bastard! It would be so friggin' brilliant. Now there are two bands I need to see!

beer punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm doing an AB comparing between the original Leroy Anderson recordings and the Naxos/BBC Philharmonic/Slatkin. Anderson had a good group but the remastering?
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/11/06/p … rnummoore/

This is one of those works that never made it but should have.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008
    NP : TIBET - Mark Isham

Very relaxing minimalistic impressionistic work, very enjoyable. cool
  1. John Adams inspired?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008
    I'm working on another McKay piece called From a Moonlight Ceremony.
  2. NP: Toward the Unknown Region (Ralph Vaughan Williams) - Norman Del Mar conducts (EMI album)

My first exposure to the composers (besides what tidbits I've heard in Master and Commander..).
    And I like what I've heard. smile

Miya wrote

My first post here as well wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2008
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    NP: Toward the Unknown Region (Ralph Vaughan Williams) - Norman Del Mar conducts (EMI album)

My first exposure to the composers (besides what tidbits I've heard in Master and Commander..).
    And I like what I've heard. smile

Miya wrote

My first post here as well wave

And what a great way to enter this thread, welcome napas beer <--tea not beer

Unknown Region is an earlier work with quite a bit of Wagner influence, it's great work but Vaughan Williams just gets better and better.