• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Agreed.

The fate of Leonard never fails to chill me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2009
    Steven wrote
    Full Metal Jacket

Pretty perfect film-making IMO. What I love most about this film is the way it doesn't preach to the audience. It doesn't preach that war is wrong, that killing is wrong - it just shows how fucked up war is.

I don't think there's a single wasted scene or shot in the entire movie?

Nope. This one is, as you say, pretty much perfect. It's been a while since I watched it and I must do so again.

There was a Kubrick documentary on tv last year which included some footage of him shooting this which was truly fascinating. Would love to see some of that stuff packaged up as a special feature on the Blu-Ray, but despite the film having already been released twice on that format, I don't think they've done it yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    You're both wrong because your opinions differ with mine.

..which is?

Um... that.... that Gladiator is a great film and so is the.. the score..?

Um, ok. So we agree 100% !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    PHONE BOOTH

It's amazing how Kiefer Sutherland can hold an entire movie with just his voice. I like him in this dark and twisted role for a change. cool

Anyone know or seen a film about a man who gets trapped inside a phone booth? I think the film might be Spanish? It's very "Twilight Zone" like with a creepy ending.

Tim, the film is called "La Cabina" (the phone booth), and it was shot and released in 1972.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065513/

Glad you liked it. Classic spanish short film.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    PHONE BOOTH

It's amazing how Kiefer Sutherland can hold an entire movie with just his voice. I like him in this dark and twisted role for a change. cool

Anyone know or seen a film about a man who gets trapped inside a phone booth? I think the film might be Spanish? It's very "Twilight Zone" like with a creepy ending.

Tim, the film is called "La Cabina" (the phone booth), and it was shot and released in 1972.

Thank you Marcel beer

I recorded it off TV wayyyy back in 198-something but the tape is long gone now slant

The score was excellent too, though IMDB doesn't list anybody!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Full Metal Jacket

Pretty perfect film-making IMO. What I love most about this film is the way it doesn't preach to the audience. It doesn't preach that war is wrong, that killing is wrong - it just shows how fucked up war is.

I don't think there's a single wasted scene or shot in the entire movie?

Oddly enough I was thinking about doing a TRUE / FALSE question about this film.....maybe I'll ressurrect it and do it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    PHONE BOOTH

Thank you Marcel beer

I recorded it off TV wayyyy back in 198-something but the tape is long gone now slant

The score was excellent too, though IMDB doesn't list anybody!?

Damn, I can´t find the composer, and his name is not in the main credits / end credits of the film slant
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Perhaps it was Justin? shocked
  2. bunny

It must have been him...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

But the music was good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

But the music was good.

Perhaps it was me then!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2009
    The Tree of Life

(No, not the Terrence Malick film!)

A documentary by my favourite living Briton about my favourite dead one was as exciting a televisual prospect as I could hope to experience, and this film didn't disappoint. Beautifully condensing the great Charles Darwin's theories into simple, easily-understood language, interspersing with example footage drawn from David Attenborough's exceptional series over the past decades, I haven't watched anything which enthralled me so much on television for some time. Beautiful score by a composer called Dan Jones, too.
  3. Dan Jones has done some great scores. Both SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE and MAX come to mind.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Tree of Life

(No, not the Terrence Malick film!)

A documentary by my favourite living Briton about my favourite dead one was as exciting a televisual prospect as I could hope to experience, and this film didn't disappoint. Beautifully condensing the great Charles Darwin's theories into simple, easily-understood language, interspersing with example footage drawn from David Attenborough's exceptional series over the past decades, I haven't watched anything which enthralled me so much on television for some time. Beautiful score by a composer called Dan Jones, too.

Missed it ! angry

Is it repeated?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Dan Jones has done some great scores. Both SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE and MAX come to mind.

I knew I recognised the name from somewhere! Never heard anything else by him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Missed it ! angry

Is it repeated?

Dunno. They repeat most things apart from the ones you want them to, in my experience!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Missed it ! angry

Is it repeated?

Dunno. They repeat most things apart from the ones you want them to, in my experience!

Ain't that the truth! slant

I'll have to buy a TV mag.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    GRAN TORINO: I finally got to see it and I wasn't disappointed in the story that Eastwood told. A story of life, befriending of people he once killed, gangs, death, family or lack of, and finally death. I was impressed including the music which again was simple and sparse save the ending with the vocal but worked well.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  4. sdtom wrote
    GRAN TORINO: I finally got to see it and I wasn't disappointed in the story that Eastwood told. A story of life, befriending of people he once killed, gangs, death, family or lack of, and finally death. I was impressed including the music which again was simple and sparse save the ending with the vocal but worked well.
    Thomas smile

I think this will be a great movie indeed. I don't think this is the kind of movie you have to see on the big screen. But in your own home with family I think this is a perfect dramatic movie

Looking forward to see it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

Saw the movie last night as well and really enjoyed it. Felt a bit guilty laughing at all the racial slurs but the way Eastwood delivered them were just damn spot on with the character and for some reason it made me chuckle... especially the last lines in the movie. I can totally see myself turning into a grumpy old bastard just like Eastwood's character when I get old and leathery... minus the racial hatred, gun pointing, the no respect from family and love of beef jerky of course.

As for the score... there was no need for a score whatsoever. It really didn't really do much anyway so why have any. And I couldn't help but cringe at Eastwood's growling attempt at singing just before the end credits. :shudder: Besides that both the wife and I really enjoyed the film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2009 edited
    Anyway, to more important things.

Has anyone been watching Total Wipeout of BBC1, Saturday evening?

20 UK citizens travel out to Argentina (!?!?, maybe for Heath & Safety reasons?) to take part in an obstacle course that's ideal for watching again in good old slo' mo'. For several weeks now the question in our house is whether anyone will even manage to get across the 4 huge bouncy balls...and this week there was the first person to make it across:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ufc030OfmE0 (hence all the jubilation)

Richard Hammond's voiceovers can be quite cutting - and certainly adds to the enjoyment in our household. It may be daft and not very taxing on the mind but it's a show that we all 4 can sit down to watch and we are all in stitches from start to finish.

I'm sure that if you type "Total Wipeout" into Google you'll get the idea of the show in no time at all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2009
    The Eastwood singing in Gran Torino was after the film was over. I agree it was pretty rough and the music that Kyle provided was enough to fill in the dead spots with something. If this was his last hurrah as a starring actor it was a good one. :thumbs up:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Missing

Not a great film, but it does have some very funny parts, and is certainly not without its merits, prime amongst them the way it looks (gorgeous) and the music (which I enjoyed a lot more in the film than I ever have on CD... must get that album out again!)
  5. When the main theme comes up at the end over the titles, it really is a powerful moment. One of Horner's best end title segues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm likely going to check out of the library "The Charge of the Light Brigade" since I now have the complete score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009
    Has anyone seen Voodoo Island with Boris Karloff, score by Les Baxter?
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote

Why? I have two words for you... Marisa Tomei. That SHOULD perk your interest.

-Erik-

Marisa Tomei's perky assets were already on display in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. biggrin
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think I'll watch a Holmes tonight. Sign of the Four with Richardson will be my choice.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    THE INCREDIBLES

Easily one of my favourite films, and one of the best CGI films ever made. Loving the "Nomanisan island" gag which I've never spotted before. cheesy