• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009
    Six Degrees of Separation

A very odd film, but I always enjoy it. You have to be completely attentive throughout - the dialogue comes at you extremely quickly throughout the whole film - but it's quite clever and witty. Can Schepisi make another film like this (or Last Orders) please?
  1. Anthony wrote
    THE INCREDIBLES

Easily one of my favourite films, and one of the best CGI films ever made. Loving the "Nomanisan island" gag which I've never spotted before. cheesy

I'll definitely get it when it comes out on blu-ray. I remember liking this one when my brother rented it. Funny thing is, for an animated one it feels like an actual live action film, the way the storyline flows and the way adults can get into it, just like Ratatouille. I really love the Pixars directed by Brad Bird, is the next feature done by him?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    THE INCREDIBLES

Easily one of my favourite films, and one of the best CGI films ever made. Loving the "Nomanisan island" gag which I've never spotted before. cheesy

My favourite Pixar film, I can watch this over and over.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    THE INCREDIBLES

My favourite Pixar film, I can watch this over and over.

My second favourite after Ratatouille. Gotta admit I'm a sucker for talking animals. (Ratatouille is also my favourite Pixar score.)
  2. In the Mouth of Madness (John Carpenter)

I love how I'm re exploring the older movies. And after Prince of Darkness and They Live, it was time for this movie. Man did I enjoy this one again. Sam Neil's excellent in this one, the build up, the disturbing look, the brief but cool monster look (made me feel like I was watching Hellraiser) and the Twilight Zone attitude, really cool Carpenter film

Oh, and his special effect during the crawling sequence and Exorcist mood surely is simply brilliant

I wanna watch this one again bro wink
    7 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I love how I'm re exploring the older movies.

You know you're getting old when people start refering to such recent films as In The Mouth Of Madness (1994) as OLDER films... slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I love how I'm re exploring the older movies.

You know you're getting old when people start refering to such recent films as In The Mouth Of Madness (1994) as OLDER films... slant

considering this one is made 12, 13 years ago, that's older

old is when you're going over the 20 year limit wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    OLDER would be fifties, sixties.
    OLD would be the twenties and thirties.

I am not old. I am young. YOUNG, I tell you. sad
    You young whippersnapper.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    OLDER would be fifties, sixties.
    OLD would be the twenties and thirties.

I am not old. I am young. YOUNG, I tell you. sad
    You young whippersnapper.

as long as you don't feel old, I'll never call you old my man beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    Anthony wrote
    THE INCREDIBLES

I'll definitely get it when it comes out on blu-ray. I remember liking this one when my brother rented it. Funny thing is, for an animated one it feels like an actual live action film, the way the storyline flows and the way adults can get into it, just like Ratatouille. I really love the Pixars directed by Brad Bird, is the next feature done by him?

Nope, "Up" is by Monsters Inc. directer Pete Doctor.

I wasn't overwhelmed with the difference in picture quality on Ratatouille between Blu-ray and DVD. While I would have jumped at the mention of The Incredibles on Blu-ray, I think I'd have to rent it first now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Anthony wrote
    THE INCREDIBLES

Nope, "Up" is by Monsters Inc. directer Pete Doctor.

I wasn't overwhelmed with the difference in picture quality on Ratatouille between Blu-ray and DVD. While I would have jumped at the mention of The Incredibles on Blu-ray, I think I'd have to rent it first now.

Really? I thought Ratatouille was the best-looking Blu-Ray I've seen so far (with 3:10 to Yuma a close second).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Have you seen The Dark Knight and Transformers on Blu-ray? Holy shit! Those films burn your eyes out! shocked
  5. I watched "Meet The Spartans" with my gf last weekend. A pretty crappy film, sure, but a lot funnier than most critics give it credit for. As satires go, I think it was pretty good.

I wish Lennertz score would have ripped off Tyler Bates' a bit more, though, especially since Bates stole 'his' score from all over the place too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BluntedBoyWonder wrote

I wish Lennertz score would have ripped off Tyler Bates' a bit more, though, especially since Bates stole 'his' score from all over the place too.

Thank GOD he didn't. Lennertz wrote a fantastic score for Meet The Spartans and I'm glad he didn't sink down to Tyler's level.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BluntedBoyWonder wrote
    I watched "Meet The Spartans" with my gf last weekend. A pretty crappy film, sure, but a lot funnier than most critics give it credit for. As satires go, I think it was pretty good.

Yeah, I noticed you and Sammy actually praising this film. shocked
    You guys are weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    BluntedBoyWonder wrote

Thank GOD he didn't. Lennertz wrote a fantastic score for Meet The Spartans and I'm glad he didn't sink down to Tyler's level.

-Erik-

He'd never sink down to that level, a composer like Lennertz.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    BluntedBoyWonder wrote
    I watched "Meet The Spartans" with my gf last weekend. A pretty crappy film, sure, but a lot funnier than most critics give it credit for. As satires go, I think it was pretty good.

Yeah, I noticed you and Sammy actually praising this film. shocked
    You guys are weird.

Sammy? Where is she!
    Kazoo
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    BluntedBoyWonder wrote

-Erik-

He'd never sink down to that level, a composer like Lennertz.

Yes, especially accompanied by such an esteemed Greek lyrics writer!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Anthony wrote
    Have you seen The Dark Knight and Transformers on Blu-ray? Holy shit! Those films burn your eyes out! shocked

The Dark Knight I saw but I don't think Ratatouille looks in any way inferior. I mean the color palette is so vivid and the detail razor sharp I'll never mistake such a fine looking blu-ray for DVD. But I agree not every blu-ray looks as brilliant as the publishers claim.

Past weekend I saw 'The Pixar Story' on the Wall-E extras disc (blu-ray) and man it's a brilliant doc. They talk about every film and its production up to Cars. And the footage I saw of all those yet unreleased films in hi-def looks astounding. Toy Story l and II look like you can cut yourself to it... It'll be worth it to rediscover them when they get finally released.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote

Yeah, Transformers is tremendous as well, I forgot about that in my "top two" list, but I'd still put Ratatouille at number one!

Digitally-created animated films, for whatever reason, seem to work better than anything else on Blu. (I am basing this on a sample of two - Ratatouille, Wall-E and Happy Feet. Happy Feet is also an amazing transfer and, needless to say, so is Wall-E.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009
    Southall wrote

Digitally-created animated films, for whatever reason, seem to work better than anything else on Blu.

Perhaps because they transfer the movie directly from the source rather than having to worry about celluloid? (Or at least can print onto celluloid at very high definition, whereas real life filming you're stuck with what you've got? To be honest, I'm not quite sure what they do with digital films.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009 edited
    Nah, they shot in uncompressed formats and then decide which format they're going to send it to afterward, according to its commercial usage. The Standard dvd is highly compressed in comparison to the original source. BLURAY HD formats keep much, much more of the original's quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, so directly from the source. Thought as much! Once you've had Blu, you don't go... um... back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's like recording in uncompressed wav formats which is essentially the digital representation of the sound in all its spectre, range. grace and depth and then compressing it down according to the usage, mp3's, mp4's etc etc. The larger the data storage medium (in the case of video: dvd, blu-ray, hd-dvd etc etc), the more percentage of the uncompressed original you'll have and thus the better the quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's like recording in uncompressed wav formats which is essentially the digital representation of the sound in all its spectre, range. grace and depth and then compressing it down according to the usage, mp3's, mp4's etc etc. The larger the data storage medium (in the case of video: dvd, blu-ray, hd-dvd etc etc), the more percentage of the uncompressed original you'll have and thus the better the quality.

Move over BluRay!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin I'm so looking forward to having to buy the Star Wars trilogy twice again now (Blue Ray and Holodisk).

I'm reminded of an old cartoon in MAD (for those in the know: Dave Berg's decades-running "The Lighter Side Of..." section), where an old man explains to a young woman how he switched from 78' records which he had to give up in favour of 33' records. Then he had to give up those for the smaller-hole records, which he had to give up for spooler tape decks. Then cassettes came in vogue.
    So the woman asks him: "So now you're giving up your tape decks?"
    And he answers: "No, I'm giving up music."
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    All I can do is smile at what some think is old?
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I finished watching the Ian Richardson version of Sign of the Four and I was overall disappointed.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    All I can do is smile at what some think is old?

That's ageism. You're ageist! shocked