• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I watched several films this weekend with my gf:

The Promotion (2008) music: Alex Wurman
    I'm not into Wurman a lot. What I have heard was pretty generic and standard. To Wurman's credit, The Promotion emulates Rolfe Kent and Mychael Danna's "Little Miss Sunshine" pretty well but doesn't rise to that level.

David Attenborough presents: Charles Darwin & The Tree Of Life (2009) music: ??? (No idea)
    I was interested in the documentary's content to pay real attention to the music, but there are two scenes where to orchestra picks up and sways you. First with a computergenerated journey through the history of life on earth and secondly at the end where you are treated to a montage of Attenborough clip from throughout his career. It was pretty good, but nothing classic. Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6IrUUDboZo

Disaster Movie (2008) Music: Christopher Lennertz
    Same studio / genre / actors as Meet The Spartans but not quite as funny. Didn't pay much attention to the music at all but I didn't hear anything outstanding. I can't understand all the Lennertz euphoria anyway... Seriously he's not that brilliant a composer guys. I like his scores for Medal Of Honor but of course those emulate Saving Private Ryan and other classic war films so... Do I even like them for Lennertz's input? Well, I have to talk, I like some pretty shitty music myself :D Anyway, what else did we watch.... Right!

Son Of Rambow (2008) Joby Talbot
    Nice movie! I really, really, really wished Talbot had used some Goldsmith influences but no such thing. That said, the main theme is really funny. Very nice movie experience overall.

We also watched a documentary on the MPAA rating system called: This Film Has Not Yet Been Rated (2006) - but I didn't pay any attention to the music at all. Can't even tell you if it had any original music at all. Great documentary though and I can recommend it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009
    SCREAM OF FEAR (1961) was an early Christopher Lee film that is actually quite an effective 'B' thriller. It also starred Susan Strasberg. One that I can recommend.
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Crap, forgot to mention we also watched BAGHEAD (2008)

Decent film, there's not much music that I remember since it's one of those POV type films (á la Blair Witch)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2009 edited
    LSH wrote
    Equilibrium

I found this to be quite good, for a film that's about a society that punishes emotional response from the characters, its hard to remain cold when witnessing the principal character's evolution into someone better.

Apocalypto

Yes a true balls to the walls action-thriller-drama. The first part is very depressing and gruesome, though the way the whole film shifts into fifth gear during the second part is astonishing. Mel Gibson is a good actor, but he's an even better director. Can't wait to see what he'll come up with next.

Just viewed: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Sadly, this disappointed. From the first trailer I was intrigued in how this would turn out, it looked magical. But it was anything but that. A little boring actually. Too long and I would've like a bit more humor. Good acting by everone, great make-up effects, and a nice visual style but no emotional response. And the score is a complete snooze-fest. I mean that's what's wrong with these recent drama's? Where are the big themes that make you connect to its characters. We saw 'Dances With Wolves' the other day and that was emotion from the first minute to the last. DWW is a classic, but for me TCCOBB will never reach that status. This is definitely not worthy of an Oscar.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2009
    Disagree with your opinion of the film Benjamin Button. I would strongly recommend that you read the short story and then go through and see what they added and subtracted from it. Did you know they have been working on this off and on for 12 years? It is a difficult story to tell. I'm sure Desplat was told to keep the music in the background. However, I can still hum the theme and its been over a month since I've played or seen the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    His Name Was Jason : 30 Years of Friday the 13th

An entertaining and fun documentary hosted by make-up maestro Tom Savini .
    They gathered an amazing number of the stars and crew of the Friday films for this one .
    If you're a fan of the franchise then it's not to be missed !
    Unfortunatly the segment about Harry Manfredini's music was kept at a minimum ...

Joe Lynch quote : "I didn't have sex until I was 30 because of Jason . That m*therf*cker was the best contraceptive a guy like me could have ."
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I loved the CURIOUS CASE OF BB;

Have seen several films lately, most of them not actually worthy of mentioning, but i've also seen GOMORRA last night and i'm still shocked! Most realistic, tight and intense, grim and head-on portrayal of modern-day Mafia in Europe i've seen for long. As a film, it got excellent reviews, and it deserves everyone of them.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gomorrah/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I loved the CURIOUS CASE OF BB;

Have seen several films lately, most of them not actually worthy of mentioning, but i've also seen GOMORRA last night and i'm still shocked! Most realistic, tight and intense, grim and head-on portrayal of modern-day Mafia in Europe i've seen for long. As a film, it got excellent reviews, and it deserves everyone of them.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gomorrah/

A film I hope to see D, though "foreign" films aren't always easily available from rental shops here. slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

Good acting by everone, great make-up effects, and a nice visual style but no emotional response. And the score is a complete snooze-fest.

*SNIP*

This is definitely not worthy of an Oscar.

Agreed completely! I enjoyed the movie but was left very cold... and the only real emotional response I got was from Julia Ormond's surprising performance.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    LSH wrote
    Equilibrium

I found this to be quite good, for a film that's about a society that punishes emotional response from the characters, its hard to remain cold when witnessing the principal character's evolution into someone better.

Apocalypto

Yes a true balls to the walls action-thriller-drama. The first part is very depressing and gruesome, though the way the whole film shifts into fifth gear during the second part is astonishing. Mel Gibson is a good actor, but he's an even better director. Can't wait to see what he'll come up with next.

Sadly, this disappointed. From the first trailer I was intrigued in how this would turn out, it looked magical. But it was anything but that. A little boring actually. Too long and I would've like a bit more humor. Good acting by everone, great make-up effects, and a nice visual style but no emotional response. And the score is a complete snooze-fest. I mean that's what's wrong with these recent drama's? Where are the big themes that make you connect to its characters. We saw 'Dances With Wolves' the other day and that was emotion from the first minute to the last. DWW is a classic, but for me TCCOBB will never reach that status. This is definitely not worthy of an Oscar.

I was wondering how the score would feel inside the movie, considering I was snoozing whilst listening to the CD, in the movie it doesn't seem to inspire either wink

Still, surprised you didn't like it, or at least loved it. But yeah, emotional response's a bitch ain't it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I did have emotional response of Benjamin Button. For me it's the best film I have seen since January (and I have seen many, I can tell you...) Great acting, cinematography and visual effects but even greater is the eternal story of our mortality and the precious things in life. I love the score as well. I guess, it has not much chance at the Oscars against Rahman but I would be glad if it won. On the other hand I would also like to see an Oscar being handed over to JNH. Anyway, we will see next week.
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I was wondering how the score would feel inside the movie, considering I was snoozing whilst listening to the CD, in the movie it doesn't seem to inspire either wink

Still, surprised you didn't like it, or at least loved it. But yeah, emotional response's a bitch ain't it

It's enough disappointment to not love it, I did like some aspects of BB, but it's not a movie I intend on rewatching anytime soon. So no modern classic for me. Ah well, I should've gone to Valkyrie instead. Or Frost/Nixon but that was already ancient history. Damn Kinepolis. sad

Hey don't take it from me bud, you know how I feel about movies these days...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2009
    Standard Operating Procedure

Depressing and disturbing. Oh America, what have you done? It's scary to think about what might happen when the new generation of youth in the middle east learn about this as they grow up.

I wish there were interviews from the higher ups. Interviewing only those where were in direct contact with the prisoners tells only a part of the picture.

Elfman's score is a major player in this film and gets top billing too. I'd rate it as one of my top scores of 2008.
  5. BhelPuri wrote
    I wish there were interviews from the higher ups. Interviewing only those where were in direct contact with the prisoners tells only a part of the picture.

This is the angle of the film. The higher-ups had their rationalisation in the form of the public version of the story. Morris mostly takes people who were demoted, imprisoned or otherwise tarred with the Abu Grahib brush and tries to let them put the photographs in context, because there has been no real public hearing from these people, and yet presumably, as the implicated, they have the most to say.
    I recommend Morris's blog: http://morris.blogs.nytimes.com/
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And yet "The Reader," a far better film than all of them IMHO will likely win nothing. And Gran Turino got nothing in nominations which really surprised me. Erik and I both felt it was top notch
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    sdtom wrote
    And yet "The Reader," a far better film than all of them IMHO will likely win nothing.

I agree. "The Reader" is truly a very good film. I hope Kate Winslet wins the award for her performance. I have my doubts in the best film / ditrector category though. The five nominees are truly great cinema IMO.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    First half of season four of Battlestar Galactica.

With some interesting dramatic exceptions the humans and Cylon-human hybrids are starting to annoy me more and more with their semi-mystical soap opera hullaballoo. I am hoping for a Cylon centurion uprising. We need some killer machines on a rampage here.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Entre les murs / The class punk
    Must see for teachers. The interaction between the class and the teacher is really interesting. He is doing really well in the beginning, but later on... hm. The movie has a documentary feel to it. No music for instance. And was already amazed at the acting talent of the children but later on I read it was mostly improvised scenes, which explains the natural response of the children and probably the teacher as well.

There is so much in that movie, many issues that have to do with the school system and with teaching. You can talk about this movie for ever once you start analyzing the teacher's and children's behaviour as well as the other teachers in school. But I have no idea if anyone who is not a teacher or a parent or an adolescent is interested in watching 2 hours of interaction through one schoolyear? I enjoyed it a lot anyway. It is nominated for Best Foreign Language Film of the Year at the Oscars.

Stavroula, have you seen it? You should see it. It is interesting to reflect on the teaching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Marselus wrote
    sdtom wrote
    And yet "The Reader," a far better film than all of them IMHO will likely win nothing.

I agree. "The Reader" is truly a very good film. I hope Kate Winslet wins the award for her performance. I have my doubts in the best film / ditrector category though. The five nominees are truly great cinema IMO.

I would be surprised too if it wins although I can say that I've seen them all this time and this is the film that impressed me the most among the choices.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    Marselus wrote
    sdtom wrote

I would be surprised too if it wins although I can say that I've seen them all this time and this is the film that impressed me the most among the choices.
    Thomas

This year is about Bollywoods trends; not quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I fear you are right
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    sdtom wrote
    Marselus wrote
    sdtom wrote

Thomas

I agree. As I said, I love all the nominees (film / director categories), but if I HAD TO choose one, the thing would be between "The Reader" (because its drama, its acting, the script and all the tragedy of the story) and "Slumdog Millionaire" (because its colour, its originality and, in honour to Demetris, its score wink biggrin ....seriously, the score is wonderful in the film D!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Marselus wrote
    sdtom wrote

Thomas

Could you please name all the Bollywood films which are nominated for Oscars?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Marselus wrote
    sdtom wrote

Thomas

Why, does it have to be more than one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Ip Man starring Donnie Yen .

Awesome martial arts movie , a must for the fans of the genre !
    This must be Donnie Yen's best performance to date ...
  6. Eric wrote

I'm a fan and I didn't know of this film but it's directed by Wilson Yip (from SPL, Donnie Yen was spectacular in that one as well). Anyway glad to learn you're into martial arts flicks too Eric !! BTW Have you seen Chocolate? Think Tony Jaa but in female form! dizzy

No Country For Old Men

Saw this yesterday and while I think it's good, I wouldn't call it one of their best, it sure is moody and has all the right ingredients, but to me it felt like the Coen boys wanted to imitate Tarantino a little too much. I mean the movie doesn't even have a proper ending, that's like a Tarantino trademark, no? Sure it was gripping stuff, but I can't say I will watch it a lot, I prefer their witty hilarious comedies such as Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski and The Hudsucker Proxy. I think 'Burn After Reading' is more for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Eric wrote

I'm a fan and I didn't know of this film but it's directed by Wilson Yip (from SPL, Donnie Yen was spectacular in that one as well). Anyway glad to learn you're into martial arts flicks too Eric !!

I didn´t know either, but I will watch it ASAP! And also starring one of my favs, Simon Yam punk And a score by Kenji Kawai is always appealing.
    Indeed, Donnie Yen was spectacular in (the also spectacular) SPL
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Hey Gilles , yeah I'm a BIG martial arts movie fan . Good to know you're a fan as well .
    You shure gotta see 'Ip Man' , it has really good acting and the fights are awesome !
    Donnie takes on 10 Japanese fighters in one of the fight scenes , some serious bone
    crushing in that one ! Ouch ! 'SPL' was a real good one too . And yes I've seen 'Chocolate'
    a while ago . Great stuff ! I just looove girls that can kick *ss ! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Marselus wrote
    sdtom wrote

Thomas

Why, does it have to be more than one?

Based on your post, you might think it was more than none, but I've checked the list a few times and don't see any Bollywood films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

This is the angle of the film. The higher-ups had their rationalisation in the form of the public version of the story. Morris mostly takes people who were demoted, imprisoned or otherwise tarred with the Abu Grahib brush and tries to let them put the photographs in context, because there has been no real public hearing from these people, and yet presumably, as the implicated, they have the most to say.
    I recommend Morris's blog: http://morris.blogs.nytimes.com/

Oh, that explains it. Thanks for the link.
    I'm going to have to watch Taxi to the Dark Side but for now I need some happy films.

Bregje wrote
    Entre les murs / The class punk
    Must see for teachers. The interaction between the class and the teacher is really interesting. He is doing really well in the beginning, but later on... hm. The movie has a documentary feel to it. No music for instance. And was already amazed at the acting talent of the children but later on I read it was mostly improvised scenes, which explains the natural response of the children and probably the teacher as well.

Cool! I'm desperately waiting for this to release on DVD.

Christodoulides wrote

Demetris, have you seen Slumdog Millionaire? Ok, the score might not be your thing and I can see you're peeved at it getting the score awards. But are you so mad at the movie in general that you're going to rationalize every award that the movie has won by attributing it to a new found love for Bollywood? There's no connection to Slumdog and Bollywood (aside from that little homage by way of the end credits song and dance) rolleyes