• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009
    Watched two films tonight on TV:

30 Days Of Night

A vampire flick set in a small, snowy town where there’ll be no daylight respite for a whole month! It's gory, at times thrilling, however generally underwhelming. Josh Hartnett, who plays the town's prospective saviour, shows quite some range: squinty panic, squinty numbness, clenched grit (with extra squint). Still... suspense, atmosphere and some nice beheadings: it's not all doom and gloom. Plus Danny Huston plays a sensational baddie.

Shooting Dogs

Another harrowing drama set during the 1994 genocide that saw almost a million Tutsis butchered by Hutu extremists. Unlike Terry George's film Hotel Rwanda, though, Shooting Dogs replays this appalling episode from a white man's perspective: that of idealistic young teacher (Hugh Dancy) who finds the school he runs with John Hurt's priest become a sanctuary for some 2,500 Tutsi refugees. As Michael Caton-Jones' impressive film nears its harrowing conclusion, the emotional impact is almost overwhelming. Dario Marianelli's haunting score (which I've always enjoyed on CD) plays a somewhat quiet and unobtrusive role throughout but gradually becomes more prominent during the sobering finale. It's quite an emotional film, more graphic and disturbing than Hotel Rwanda, bringing the viewer closer to the bloodshed. Recommended viewing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think I'll probably hire Shooting Dogs tomorrow.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hey Alan wave

I just watched Total Wipeout....it's great fun! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I saw some good movies the past weeks

Valkyrie
    Good film. Tightly directed, not always as exciting as I thought it'd be, but the moments were it needed to be thrilling and intense definitely were heartbeatincreasing! If what I saw was closeto what happens, than the failure of this operation just brings your mood down too. Then the question rises, what would've happened if they succeeded.

Frost/Nixon
    Ver good and very exciting! The intense atmosphere nearing the end, the great great dialogue between the Frost and Nixon (I love this!), quite shocking as well, as I didn't know much about it. Though I recently got into reading a lot about the US interference in Cambodia and the tiranny of the Khmer Rouge. I'm getting The Killing Fields soon on dvd. What a cruel story this president had on his name.

Le Scaphandre et le Papillon (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly)
    Hinted by Michael some weeks ago. I won't say much about this one, because I suck at describing very heartfelt emotions in films (I'm a woosss), but this one really is life encouraging. What a character.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bregt wrote

Valkyrie
    Good film. Tightly directed, not always as exciting as I thought it'd be, but the moments were it needed to be thrilling and intense definitely were heartbeatincreasing! If what I saw was closeto what happens, than the failure of this operation just brings your mood down too. Then the question rises, what would've happened if they succeeded.

I can't watch any of the scenes with Eddie Izzard in without bursting out in laughter. His German accent sounds exactly like the ones he puts on during gigs. Speaking of Eddie Izzard, Happy 47th Birthday to him today! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009
    Bregt wrote

Frost/Nixon
    Ver good and very exciting! The intense atmosphere nearing the end, the great great dialogue between the Frost and Nixon (I love this!), quite shocking as well, as I didn't know much about it. Though I recently got into reading a lot about the US interference in Cambodia and the tiranny of the Khmer Rouge. I'm getting The Killing Fields soon on dvd. What a cruel story this president had on his name.

Is it realistic though? Can someone confirm?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote

Frost/Nixon

Is it realistic though? Can someone confirm?

It is not historically accurate, though whether that's the same thing as being unrealistic I'm not sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    Frost/Nixon

I suspect that what sets Nixon apart from his predecessors and successors is not that he was more sleazy and more dishonest, but that he was caught.

If you're going to watch The Killing Fields, make sure you have a box of tissues. A devestating film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Superbad

A bit too coarse, but it's very funny. Michael Cera is a terrific comic actor.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt, THE KILLING FIELDS is a superb film, James is right about keeping the Kleenex handy. Great score by Mike Oldfield too which back in the day was bigged up by both Mario Nacimbene and James Horner.
  1. What do you mean bigged up?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    "Bigged up" - praised a lot. It's an extremely unusual score, but a very effective one.
  2. The Dark Crystal

Typical but wonderful visual tale of Jim Henson. The puppets look awesome and the tripod creatures (don't remember how they're called) is simply wonderfully done. I thought the nice score by Jones was a bit undermixed but overall I enjoyed it. Not as much as Labyrinth which I believe is a lot funnier, interesting and more aimed for kids.

Anyway, typical Henson magic punk
    7 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Timmer wrote
    Hey Alan wave

beer
    It's a leave-your-brain-in-neutral-and-just-enjoy sort of a programme. It's amazing how such a short speech from people at the beginning of the show can mean that you take an instant dislike to someone and hope that they are thoroughly dunked!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Hey Alan wave

beer
    It's a leave-your-brain-in-neutral-and-just-enjoy sort of a programme. It's amazing how such a short speech from people at the beginning of the show can mean that you take an instant dislike to someone and hope that they are thoroughly dunked!!

I watched a bit of this. Found it surprisingly enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Equilibrium

Borrowing liberally from far superior efforts, Equilibrium wants to be a Matrix-style equivalent of what sci-fi literature does so well: the morality play. Sadly, this particular genre's films rarely meet with the same success and this is no exception. The movie looks very cool but the story is pure clag. The 'Gun Kata' (an impressive man-ballet of weaponry and martial-arts stances) offers attention-grabbing set-pieces, but it soon becomes repetitive.

A good performance from John Cusack as a cynic on a paranormal mission nudges this picture towards the higher end of Stephen King adaptations and if only for the first hour's thrilling set up, it's worth checking out. It eventually lets itself down, but not before shaking you up a bit.

Zodiac

Few movies made today exhibit such scale or ambition, most of it realised, and no crime film I've ever seen presents this much information with so much clarity. It ain't Se7en 2 but Zodiac is sensational in all the right ways, with some fantastic performances from the cast.

Apocalypto

A ferocious thriller executed with bloody spirit, Mel Gibson's fourth feature as director is both wild and impressive. Braveheart in the jungle, if you like - with all the guilty pleasure, crassness and adrenaline that implies. The action sequences, shot with dazzling skill by director of photography Dean Semler (Dances With Wolves) boast an exhilarating sense of rhythm and a good deal of daring. There's nothing polite about this picture: it’s bloody and relentless, the very definition of lean and mean.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    LSH wrote

Zodiac

Few movies made today exhibit such scale or ambition, most of it realised, and no crime film I've ever seen presents this much information with so much clarity. It ain't Se7en 2 but Zodiac is sensational in all the right ways, with some fantastic performances from the cast.

And the special effects are very impressive!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Bregt wrote
    LSH wrote

Zodiac

And the special effects are very impressive!

I like the 'time-lapse' shot of the construction of the Transamerica Pyramid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yup, but also the sets were enhanced a lot by CGI. It was Erik who pointed out how much (surprising!) effects are used.

Here are two videoclips about the use of CGI in Zodiac (if you not have seen them already)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT491ctM8Kk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW2xhBSf … re=related
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009 edited
    Yeah it is impressive. I like films which use this kind of invisible CGI - Zemeckis' Cast Away was another that surprised me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2009
    You make a good point Steven. You could be right
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    You make a good point Steven. You could be right

And he makes that good point, what, about 5 pages ago?!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Come to think of it, I do think the monkeys should be allowed to wear shoes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched one of the better entries in the Hammer horror series, a film called Gorgon which had to do with the Medusa and turning to stone. The James Bernard score was in this case a little on the weak side. It seemed like he wasn't into it as much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven wrote

Yikes I responded in the wrong thread. I was talking about 'ageism' which Steven talked about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Steven wrote

Yikes I responded in the wrong thread. I was talking about 'ageism' which Steven talked about.

Ah. I wondered what Tom was talking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009
    Now we're on the same page
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Has anybody seen The International? It looks pretty good, but I don't want to waste £7 on nothing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Has anybody seen The International? It looks pretty good, but I don't want to waste £7 on nothing!

I wouldn't rush; http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10008684-international/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Man on Fire (the Denzel version)

Rather odd film, quite boring for an hour before turning into a pretty repulsive thriller.