• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010
    I've gotten to see 3 games so far. The Aztecs are 2-1. I'm having lots of fun.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Damn Bregt, is it 6 trips per year? where do you find the Geld?

The geld? shocked

Hmm. How do I explain. It's not an expansive trip this one. It's by car, of which the fuel we can devide by three. We have a tent with us, and will ask people to sleepover on their property (addresses available at the tourist offices). We stay in the cheapest hostels. So, yeah, well. I try to make it as cheap as possible. We'll try to stay under 150EUR, which is a bit more than a regular weekend? (just kidding) wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Have a safe trip Thor. I hope it's not too hot, since you're now used to extremely low temperatures. wink

Does anyone have ideas for music fitting Normandy's setting? I have Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan with me, but perhaps something more upbeat as well?

Ook.
    That's bleak stuff (but then again, contrary to popular belief, World War II actually wasn't a comedy...)

For a slightly less depressing revisit, ty bringing Kelly's Heroes along, as well as Jarre's The Longest Day.
    Also -slightly anachronistically- Goodwin's The Battle Of Britain and Where Eagles Dare do not emphasise the depressing side so much.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I didn't meant it was a comedy of course. Thanks for the recommendations, if I only had those...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Bregt wrote
    VIDEO!

Thanks to D I was able to edit my HD videos I made on the trip to Germany. Just a try-out, nothing spectacular. Note that I had the idea in mind before I left off. I had the song in my head and tried to fit in videos during my holiday.

I'm rather happy with the result though! I like it!
    http://vimeo.com/8919014

Turn HD off if it does not play fluent.

Wow!! punk
    Video made me cry and smile! (Probably because the song is so melancholic... which is great)
    Very well done!
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    I didn't meant it was a comedy of course.

I know, Bregt!!
    I was just being generally facetious. smile
    Geeeee, some people take some things SO personally! wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    i know, but I wasn't sure. wink

Do you like Calvados btw?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Bregje wrote
    Bregt wrote
    VIDEO!

Thanks to D I was able to edit my HD videos I made on the trip to Germany. Just a try-out, nothing spectacular. Note that I had the idea in mind before I left off. I had the song in my head and tried to fit in videos during my holiday.

Wow!! punk
    Video made me cry and smile! (Probably because the song is so melancholic... which is great)
    Very well done!
    cheesy

Wow, thanks Bregje! smile

The song is from Sigur Ros, which I described somewhere above. Martin has become a fan since then. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    I leave for a couple of days with friends to Normandy

When are you off, Bregt?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    I leave for a couple of days with friends to Normandy, visiting Bayeux and Les Plages du Debarquement (I like that word more than D-Day Beaches). A short trip, but I've always wanted to visit the region, with its cliffs, broad and empty beaches, the apples, cider and calvados, the goat cheese ( goat ) and of course for its the memories of the remarkable events in June 1944.

I went a few years ago. So many stories around, if you get chance to talk to some of the older local people. Lots of very interesting museums too, around the beaches. I went to the British cemetery at Bayeux and felt emotions I've never felt before or since, very hard to describe really, a mix of humility, pride, sorrow. I found it extraordinary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregt and I talked a bit about his trip and I related to him my father's role in the Pacific. He was involved with the possible invasion of Japan, Iwo Jima, and the sinking of the Indianapolis in the shark infested waters. He never talked to me about it growing up only in the last few years.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Bregt and I talked a bit about his trip and I related to him my father's role in the Pacific. He was involved with the possible invasion of Japan, Iwo Jima, and the sinking of the Indianapolis in the shark infested waters. He never talked to me about it growing up only in the last few years.
    Thomas smile

Not many do Tom. My own dad fought in Burma against the Japanese and he never talked much about it, if he did it tended to be more "humourous" stories, the jungle, Gurkha's, everyday life, insects...that sort of thing. I learnt from my mother that he saw and experienced the kind of hell that thankfully many of us never have to experience.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    ^

My grandfather fought in Burma and what you wrote there is exactly how he prefers to remember it too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's many of that generation who are the same.

I remember when I was very young and brought up on the glamour of war asking my dad if he ever killed anyone, my dad said nothing but my mum rounded on me and sharply said 'THAT'S ENOUGH!', I never asked the question again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010
    Bregt wrote
    Have a safe trip Thor. I hope it's not too hot, since you're now used to extremely low temperatures. wink

Does anyone have ideas for music fitting Normandy's setting? I have Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan with me, but perhaps something more upbeat as well?

I'm not sure about Normandy per se maybe something celtic/floksy but when you pass through the North (Lille and Rouen) maybe you can listen to Bienvenue chez les Chtis by Philippe Rombi. Quite upbeat.
    Have a good trip.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Bregt wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The geld? shocked

Hmm. How do I explain. It's not an expansive trip this one. It's by car, of which the fuel we can devide by three. We have a tent with us, and will ask people to sleepover on their property (addresses available at the tourist offices). We stay in the cheapest hostels. So, yeah, well. I try to make it as cheap as possible. We'll try to stay under 150EUR, which is a bit more than a regular weekend? (just kidding) wink

he he... That reminds me of one of my first trip when I decided to hitchhike from Montreal to Vancouver (more than 3000 km) pitching the tent and making it as cheap as possible.

The June trip to Europe is getting more precise now. We'll be in Amsterdam for 4 days and the rest of the time in Northern Italy. I'm not sure if we will get to Rome this time around but we'll see.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Bregt wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Bregt wrote
    VIDEO!

Wow!! punk
    Very well done!
    cheesy

Wow, thanks Bregje! smile

The song is from Sigur Ros, which I described somewhere above. Martin has become a fan since then. wink

Yes, I'm hooked. Your fault Bregt! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    AMSTERDAM!?!
    Let me know when you're there. Martin!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The geld? shocked

Makes sense now smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    AMSTERDAM!?!
    Let me know when you're there. Martin!

Martijn, I will need some recommendations of what to do in Amsterdam, apart from having a beer (or port) on a terrasse along a canal. wink Biking around is also in the plans. I borrowed some books on Amsterdam and Italy and I am immersing myself in the culture and history of the places. I haven't read the Anna Frank book yet but I will before.
    We can organize a meeting for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010
    Martin, be sure to let us know when the meeting fits best for you! I want to join as well. smile

Just returned from the Normandy trip and it was excellent! I had read about the region and refreshed my memory of the WWII history, and we focused on both the latter and a hike from a little town to Omaha Beach and the American Cemetery in Colleville s/ Mer. I didn't want to put up any music when being there, would have been inappropriate. That was a very quiet moment during our trip, and I walked there alone for about 20 minutes, feeling so many things, but especially the quietness (even though, with all the cold wind) and uneasiness of the beach in the background, is unsettling.,

We also went to the German Cemetery in La Cambe, whcih created ven odder feeings, because What to think of this? We also saw the sunset at Pointe du Hoc and went to Le Chaos (Batterie de Longues sur Mer). We did one museum in Arromanches-les-Bains, and visited the caissons of the (still) impressive temporary Mulberry Port. Fantastic scenery though, and it's quite impossible to just imagine what happened in this region in 1944. It really made me all quite sad.

There was some fun too though. The hike, on top of cliffs and through high grass and plants, passing bunkers and other war related stuff, was quite intense (again, also due to the heavy cold wind). We weren't able to camp in such weather, so we drove around a little to find a good Chambre d'Hôtes (B&B in France), which turned out to be fantastic. We stayed in Sainte-Honorine-des-Pertes, not far from Colleville, and got two fantastic breakfasts. The place sold music boxes they made themselves and I bought one of Doctor Zhivago (yes yes, the Laura theme, but it was the only film music related one (and I like that theme shame ) ).

The first night we stayed in Bayeux, in a hostel, an had a blast of a breakfast there was well. It's a beautiful town (the cathedral is just wow!), we visited the tapestry (I still find this thing so odd), but quite a dead place when we arrived Friday night. We went to the market there, and bought cidre, calvados and poirinaeu for the following evenings. wink

All in all, it was a fine trip (2 friends with me, lots of good talks and laughs). Not as cheap as I wanted it to be (180EUR :/) but worth it. I especially liked the hike, which really went through some unvisited grounds. Harder was the impossibility of realising/to grasp the whole situation from 1944.

On a side note, I promised my grandmother some time ago to visit Ypres again this summer, and will do definitely. She tells a lot about the war (about bombs on her town, about how her parents had to make a sleeping place for two German soldiers in their home, ...). It's al so far away I thought before... but not so much.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

There was a display in he American Cemetry at Omaha Beach, showing the war on Japan as well. I must say that I don't know much about this war, also because at school, we haven't really been looking into Iwo Jima etc, since we focused a lot on Belgium (obviously). I must read about it. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    I went a few years ago. So many stories around, if you get chance to talk to some of the older local people. Lots of very interesting museums too, around the beaches. I went to the British cemetery at Bayeux and felt emotions I've never felt before or since, very hard to describe really, a mix of humility, pride, sorrow. I found it extraordinary.

It is. You describe better what I meant, or could say. We haven't met veterans though, since it was low season. We actually didn't met much people at all. smile
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
    Bregt wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

There was a display in he American Cemetry at Omaha Beach, showing the war on Japan as well. I must say that I don't know much about this war, also because at school, we haven't really been looking into Iwo Jima etc, since we focused a lot on Belgium (obviously). I must read about it. smile

I really want to visit the Normandy beaches and areas too, none of it is too far from here and it's a fascinating part of history, one that interests me greatly.

I've been to a few sites, Kanchanaburi in Thailand was incredible, this is what inspired the film Bridge On The River Kwai where allied POW were treated horrifically, in fact the film has always been treated as a bit of a joke ( a bad one ) by the veterans who actually experienced it, an amazing area where true horror took place is such an incredibly beautiful and scenic part of the country.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Arrived home late but safe and sound. The flight was a lot more pleasant with my new laptop cheesy cheesy
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Pictures of the Normandy trip
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 … 4e40a0b2b2
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Great pix Bregt, you have a good eye for photography.

p.s. What exactly is a 'mixed galette'?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    Great pix Bregt, you have a good eye for photography.

Some are by my two mates, it's a mix. smile

p.s. What exactly is a 'mixed galette'?

Euhm. I don't know if it's the correct translation. it's a variation on the crèpes (pancakes, from Brittany), with in this case ham and an omelette. smile
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sounds tasty? Did you eat one or is that your mates?
  1. Bregt wrote
    Pictures of the Normandy trip
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 … 4e40a0b2b2

wow, good picks Bregt smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh