• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Are these people serious with those rules? I am glad i never visited a Muslim country nor do i plan to.

Morocco was excellent! ( I've been twice ) and is probably the most liberal of all muslim countries which is why so many Hollywood films are filmed there ( same goes for Tunisia ).

I liked the photos Thor, especially the fountains, I see the pool was 'spots & stripes', it's mostly just yellow and red here wink , I have to say though that I have no desire whatsoever to visit Dubai, I'd like to see the 'Burj' but other than that :shrug:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Are these people serious with those rules? I am glad i never visited a Muslim country nor do i plan to.

Morocco was excellent! ( I've been twice ) and is probably the most liberal of all muslim countries which is why so many Hollywood films are filmed there ( same goes for Tunisia ).

Yes. Egypt is pretty liberal too. The drawback of those countries, though, is that the sellers, taxi drivers etc. are far more aggressive in their desire to "hook you in". In that respect, Dubai was actually quite refreshing...it happened once or twice, but for the most part they weren't all over you when you walked through a market or passed by a restaurant.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Timmer wrote

I really enjoyed Morocco, too. Though I imagine I was much more cocooned compared with you Tim: I visited Tangier and Casablanca on a couple of cruises with school and most of what we say was part of organised tours.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tangier is dodgy as fuck freezing

Went up through one part of the old port and it was a cross between Raiders of The Lost Ark and Black Hawk Down.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010 edited
    I like the pictures of the trip you did in the Hatta mountains. Very desolate, with eerie peeks and dark colours.

Was there much people and tourists in the city itself? It looks a bit lonely somehow.

Pity you didn't do much research. You didn't do the jeep safari? wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    Bregt wrote
    I like the pictures of the trip you did in the Hatta mountains. Very desolate, with eerie peeks and dark colours.

Was there much people and tourists in the city itself? It looks a bit lonely somehow.

Pity you didn't do much research. You didn't do the jeep safari? wink

No, we didn't get around to that, unfortunately. We rented the car instead and drove around in less touristy areas (like the Hatta mountains).

Quite a lot of tourists in the city itself, but they were often envelopped by the gigantic traffic machine. A gazillion fancy cars on 7-lane roads take up much of the cityscape.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010 edited
    Bregt wrote
    VIDEO!

Thanks to D I was able to edit my HD videos I made on the trip to Germany.

Bregt, what program did you use to edit your videos?
    I have shot some HD film footage, but it's coming out all jerky and out of sync (only on the PC though. It looks fine when I play it back on the camera proper).

So I guess I will need to downscale it massively to be abe to watch it properly, but I have no idea what program to use for that. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    Sony Vegas Studio, the 30 day trial. smile

Demetris recommended it to me and it worked very well!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010
    Sony vegas is a dream. Whoever needs any help with it, please don't hesitate to contact me. I teach the program on daily basis at the college i work. It's fast, east to use, lightweight and pro. Get the pro version too, if you're really interested in a good editing tool.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    D., does Sony Vegas know ho to deal with mp4 files?
    I already found that my prefered Adobe Premiere does not. Which is rather annoying.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    When you go to import-media files, mp4 is listed. However, if you want me to try it out now, you'll have to wait a bit smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No worries. Just interested. I'll see what Sony Vegas can do for me. Thanks, D.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I downloaded a hot mp4 vid from youtube now and i am going to test it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thing is that my camera tapes in HD, but in mp4 format.
    Apparently my CPU isn't strong enough to handle the format and/or the compression, as I can't get them to play properly. SO the main thing I'm trying to do right now is resize those files.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    go to filehippo.com
    download vlc media player
    and try to play them with that player

What cpu do you have?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yeap, tested it just now. Vegas pro 9 sees, opens and edits mp4 files freely and from there you can export to any format you want, perhaps more lightweight for general purpose and playback, like main concept mpeg-2 dvd format (720x576).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    go to filehippo.com
    download vlc media player
    and try to play them with that player

It's not a player issue: I have tried five different ones already (although admittedly I haven't given the VLC player a shot yet.
    I will.

What cpu do you have?

Intel Pentium 4, 3 Ghz; 1 GB RAM

The files are 1280x720 MPEG-4 (H.264 Main@4; 9759 kbps)
    with stereo sound at AAC LC 128 kbps
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010 edited
    Check for corrupted windows files (download and install win xp manager or windows vista manager or windows 7 manager, according to what you have, put the windows cd in, and go to repairs tab-it's an excellent program).
    Renew your graphics card drivers from either ati.com or nvidial.com, according to what you have.
    Download the latest directx package from microsoft.com
    Clear up the pc of useless applications and via ctrl-alt-del or start-run-'msconfig', check what applications are automatically set to start up with the pc.
    Install K-LITE codek pack mega
    And possibly try out vlc too.

Let me know what you'll get...Your cpu is good enough and should normally be able to play such video files if you have a well-maintained operating system and computer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The system may be powerful enough, but I have some concerns that my video card (which is just a Dell on-board video) may not be: the decompression and HD format may prove a little too hard that way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, the list above is what i'd do. If that doesn't work, yeah, i am left with just what you say.

What chip does that card hold? is it intel's? if so, visiting their site might provide you with bew drivers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, the list above is what i'd do.

Yeah, the system is relatively well maintained...but I've been thinking about a complete reinstall anyway.
    I've not done a reinstall ever since 2004 (well, never needed to!), so it's overdue, I'd say.
    This seems like a good opportunity.

What chip does that card hold? is it intel's? if so, visiting their site might provide you with bew drivers?

It's an ATI Radeon X300.
    Updating the driver might be a good idea indeed...if they have any updates. My system is quite old in PC terms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, the list above is what i'd do.

Yeah, the system is relatively well maintained...but I've been thinking about a complete reinstall anyway.
    I've not done a reinstall ever since 2004 (well, never needed to!), so it's overdue, I'd say.
    This seems like a good opportunity.

It's an ATI Radeon X300.
    Updating the driver might be a good idea indeed...if they have any updates. My system is quite old in PC terms.

ati.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin

Sometimes, D., you are a veritable master of stating the obvious!
    wink

(I do appreciate your help, though)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010
    Just returned from Budapest.

Lovely city, and I'm definitely going back. Probably one of the most attractive in Europe, visually, next to Prague and Paris.

Only two drawbacks, really: One that several pubs and clubs were closed early (or altogether), two that several people tried - and succeeded - in tricking us into spending more money than we should. Taxis, for example, or the club where we were "forced" to buy drinks for 20.000 Forints EACH (appr. $90), because we hadn't noticed the tiny, tiny writing on the menu that said "minimum drinking fee is 20.000". So we had to devour drinks for that amount before we were even allowed to leave! We only wanted a beer or two....

Other than that, though, I loved it. Put out some pics here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 … 152a4a0216
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010
    Let me get this right....$90 EACH!???? shocked What kind of club was it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Let me get this right....$90 EACH!???? shocked What kind of club was it?

It was a strip club, the only thing we could find that was open at the time (name escapes me at the moment). I know that some of these can be fishy sometimes (with all sorts of weird "rules"), but never experienced anything REMOTELY like this before. It seems designed to pull in "stupid" Westerners like ourselves.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I bet that hurt!? slant

Clubs like that exist here too, though I remember a big media outcry some years ago after a 15 year old lad got stung for a lot of money and these establishments got some heavy, bad publicity.

I almost got done myself in Bangkok, though not for as much money as you, but it was still a large amount in Thai terms, luckily I was with a large group and we just barged our way out of the place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, you went to a strip club watching hot Hungarian blonde babes stripping; this is something you have to pay for isn't it? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I bet that hurt!? slant

Clubs like that exist here too, though I remember a big media outcry some years ago after a 15 year old lad got stung for a lot of money and these establishments got some heavy, bad publicity.

I almost got done myself in Bangkok, though not for as much money as you, but it was still a large amount in Thai terms, luckily I was with a large group and we just barged our way out of the place.

We made a big deal out of it too (we were three guys) and threatened to call the police before we realized we didn't have the number. And as the owner seemed to call some beef boys on his cell (or at least pretended to do so), we decided that the smartest thing was to just stick around and drink our damn quota of drinks! At least we wouldn't leave and pay $90 for two small beers. That's insane even to Norwegians!
    I am extremely serious.