• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010
    Snowdonia is lovely.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Is that a real place?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010 edited
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's not very far from Alan.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010 edited
    Went to the Loire region this weekend, where we stayed at a friend's house in the middle of nowhere. Lots of fun and drinks, not too rushed or with the 'need' to visit something. Done a few trips as well (some castles and a few wineries), combined with a good time with my closest friends. It was a long time ago! Cheap again as well!
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 … f6be53e647
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010
    Looks like another great trip, Bregt. Again with getting into all the local atmosphere things. I think you managed to squeeze a lot of things in there - castles, nice landscapes, cozy evenings with cool people, wineries, BBQ's.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010
    This is what he always does! He knows his stuff, this man smile His photos are always a pleasure to watch beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010 edited
    Thanks! It's getting a bit out of hand though, and I think I will slow down next year.

As for New Year, I just saw pictures of Brecon Beacons, which is a bit nearer, and seems like a more laid back destination. It looks fabulous too. All so close for some of you guys! Wow! Wales seems like a great destination. I'm surprised it is so rarely mentioned, compared to Peak or Lake district, or Scotland. smile

Has anyone been to the Vosges Mountains in France btw? That's another option.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Thanks! It's getting a bit out of hand though, and I think I will slow down next year.

As for New Year, I just saw pictures of Brecon Beacons, which is a bit nearer, and seems like a more laid back destination. It looks fabulous too. All so close for some of you guys! Wow! Wales seems like a great destination. I'm surprised it is so rarely mentioned, compared to Peak or Lake district, or Scotland. smile

Has anyone been to the Vosges Mountains in France btw? That's another option.

Wales has FANTASTIC landscapes Bregt, it certainly doesn't go unappreciated by me but then again I'm very close by, I've hiked the Brecons many, many times, be warned though that the weather will be appalling in the early part of the new year.

Where exactly is the Vosges Mountains?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2010
    Vosges is in the North East of France, a mountain range at the Western part of the Rhine river.

We decided to go there and rent a house for a week. We'll invite friends on new year's eve and have dinner and cosy stuff. Not as spectacular as last year (Berlin) but a different way, in the middle of mountains and snow.

I think the UK national parks are now really high on the list for one of the coming years (in summer that is! wink )
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2010
    I just googled it and Vosges looks quite spectacular, personally I would take this over any city break every single time.

The UK national parks are spectacular ( Scotland, IMO, is UNBEATABLE! ) but the weather very unpredictable and in Scotland you'd need to be kitted out in arctic gear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010 edited
    I'm THIS close to booking a trip to Tanzania in February with a couple of friends of mine (fleeing the Northern cold and trying desperately to keep up with Bregt's insane travelling schedule), health and finances permitting.

Has anyone been there? If so, any recommendations?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010
    My trips are cheaper. wink

Safari trip I suppose. It's next to Kenya, there's the Serengeti National Park (in which they're planning to build a highway right trhough!!), the Kilimanjaro, Lake Victoria I think too, and Zanzibar island. A very interesting destination which you'll have need lots of time for! I'm sure James can assist a bit more?

I hope it's not just a hotel-only beach holiday? tongue

You don't need vaccinations and malaria stuff for that destination?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2010
    You will for Tanzania.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    My trips are cheaper. wink

Safari trip I suppose. It's next to Kenya, there's the Serengeti National Park (in which they're planning to build a highway right trhough!!), the Kilimanjaro, Lake Victoria I think too, and Zanzibar island. A very interesting destination which you'll have need lots of time for! I'm sure James can assist a bit more?

I hope it's not just a hotel-only beach holiday? tongue

You don't need vaccinations and malaria stuff for that destination?

Yeah, we do. I already have some vaccinations that I've taken for Brazil and Thailand. But I probably need more for this.

Nope, it's definitely not a beach holiday only. We will be dividing it up between Zanzibar (which has beaches) and the national park stuff. From what I've been told, safaris can be very expensive - $5-700 for a three-day trip or something. But it's something you need to do while you're there, of course.

Was James in Tanzania? I thought he was in Kenya?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Airplane tickets to Tanzania now booked!! Yikes.

Now comes the vaccines (which are also expensive) for malaria and whatever, the visas, the planning etc. And imagine I was only asked to come yesterday!! (the people taking initiative for this are always lightning-speed quick in their booking, so you have to keep up!).

Booking a trip to Tanzania on a one-day impulse! Never done that before....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why are you going there again? Srsly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2010
    A few pics from the Newcastle trip up at facebook, for those interested (including a pic of me and Chris from FSM hooking up for a beer):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 … amp;ref=mf
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    Was James in Tanzania? I thought he was in Kenya?

I was indeed! I missed this before. I hope you have a wonderful time.

I thought the safari (we did a seven-day one) was just incredible. Probably a once-in-a-lifetime thing because of the expense (it was our honeymoon after all). I think it cost about £3,500 between us (US$5,000 ish) but was worth it. It seemed that our experience was lightyears beyond that of the people we met who had gone for cheaper ones (though they still had a good time).

The only downside was the extreme poverty you see, completely unlike anything I've seen before (and Kenya is comfortably one of the better-off countries in Africa). Sitting sipping champagne for breakfast when you know that a couple of miles away there's a whole family living in a hut made out of cardboard, with a few vegetables all they have to eat for the week, does bring up some moral questions (well, it did for me) because you wonder where your £500 per day is actually going (certainly not to the Kenyans, I'd suggest).

Oddly, despite being easily the poorest people I've ever met, they also seemed to be easily the happiest. I'm aware an element of that may be because they want your tips, but it absolutely wasn't all down to that. We stopped off in one town to get petrol and a little boy ran up to me and asked if I had a pen he could have for his schoolwork. In fact I'd stolen a handful from the hotel that morning and so I gave them to him and I can honestly say I've never seen a happier person in my life. It was a life-enriching moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    Sitting sipping champagne for breakfast when you know that a couple of miles away there's a whole family living in a hut made out of cardboard, with a few vegetables all they have to eat for the week, does bring up some moral questions (well, it did for me)

I just remembered that since you've been to Newcastle you have probably already experienced this so there's nothing to worry about.

Did you meet Cheryl Cole?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    Sitting sipping champagne for breakfast when you know that a couple of miles away there's a whole family living in a hut made out of cardboard, with a few vegetables all they have to eat for the week, does bring up some moral questions (well, it did for me)

I just remembered that since you've been to Newcastle you have probably already experienced this so there's nothing to worry about.

Who?

Thanks for the report from Kenya. I'm preparing mentally for the poverty, but hope it won't detract from the nature experience or otherwise from the trip. We're probably going on a safari, but nowhere near the price range you had, nor the length.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

Who?

:faints:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2010
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

Who?

:faints:

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2010
    Google her Thor, she's reet tasty leik.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2010
    We won't have too many flights today. I've never seen the fog so bad. I hear no planes and I'm 5 minutes from the airport.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That must be a calm Christmas then. In Brussels also not the usual amount of planes...

I'm packing for the Vosges Mountains, leaving tomorrow morning. We have a 7hour drive ahead of us and I hope all roads are okay-ish, with all this snow.

To all of you: have a great holiday season, and best wishes for the coming years. wave
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Now the sun is out go figure
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Bregt wrote
    That must be a calm Christmas then. In Brussels also not the usual amount of planes...

I'm packing for the Vosges Mountains, leaving tomorrow morning. We have a 7hour drive ahead of us and I hope all roads are okay-ish, with all this snow.

To all of you: have a great holiday season, and best wishes for the coming years. wave

Bregt, have a safe and joyous trip bud. We'll drink one on the new year in the middle of January beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011 edited
    Awaiting Bregt's pics from the Vosges trip.

Meanwhile, it would be interesting to hear what travel plans you peeps have for 2011, if any.

Permitting that health and finances allow it, this is what I have planned:

February 5-22: Tanzania and Zanzibar (booked)
    April: Vienna??
    Summer: Our summer house in Denmark?
    August: Roundtrip from Rome up to Venice, through Slovenia, into Croatia, ferry to Ancona and back to Rome across the mountains. Probably by train, although we're looking into rental car possibilites.
    Autumn: Don't know. Maybe Ubeda? Or something less expensive, like a long weekend city trip.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011
    So far... Jamaica for two weeks in February (my first time in the Caribbean). No other firm plans.