• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011
    Southall wrote
    So far... Jamaica for two weeks in February (my first time in the Caribbean). No other firm plans.

Wow, that's awesome. I've always wanted to go there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011 edited
    Nice Thor and James. Nice to look forward to.

I think I will slow down a bit. I want to go to Faroer and Iceland, or a national park trip through England and Scotland. Perhaps Ubeda too. I will try to travel without planes this year too.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011 edited
    Well, just returned from the Canaries (Fuerteventura, a.k.a. the plains of Mars (ye Gods is it dry!)), and almost imediately off to Malaysia, but that's work related.

That'll probably keep me occupied on and off for Q1 of this year....after that, who knows?
    Maybe Chile or Brazil?
    Or I might just decide to spend some time in Greece. For some reason Sparta seems to be extremely alluring these last years.
    wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Or I might just decide to spend some time in Greece. For some reason Sparta seems to be extremely alluring these last years.
    wink

I keep hearing that for a couple of years now! Let's see! wink
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. Bregt wrote
    Nice Thor and James. Nice to look forward to.

I think I will slow down a bit. I want to go to Faroer and Iceland, or a national park trip through England and Scotland. Perhaps Ubeda too. I will try to travel without planes this year too.

so you want to drive to SPAIN? dizzy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011
    Stavroula wrote
    Martijn wrote

I keep hearing that for a couple of years now! Let's see! wink

Yeah, well, every time I am at the airport all packed, wearing a tuxedo and carrying a diamond ring, I read these messages on MT about lovely boy friends and feel just a little dip again in my travel motivation... tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011 edited
    We need pictures of your trip too Martijn. They are rare! As for the Plains of Mars, so you like hell-like temperatures then?

Here's my bunch of pictures of my trip to the Vosges, where we celebrated new year and practised our sledging skills....
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 … ce0c27acfb
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote
    We need pictures of your trip too Martijn. They are rare! As for the Plains of Mars, so you like hell-like temperatures then?

Here's my bunch of pictures of my trip to the Vosges, where we celebrated new year and practised our sledging skills....

haha, god on a sled biggrin

wonderful pictures, looks like it was another amazing experience punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

Great pics Bregt, looks wonderful, I wish I could have spent time there with you rather than here in miserable Bristol.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Very cool, Bregt. Idyllic (although I'm not a big snow fan myself). Some of the pics looked like it could have been in Norway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011
    Great photos! Did the mini clubman really go up to those places?!?

Loved this photo biggrin
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- … 4663_n.jpg
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris

3. shocked

Beautiful indeed! Did you walk up to that point or cable car it?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's the future now, Alan, they obviously used hover boards.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I used my feet to go to the top, and my sledge to go back down.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's cheating.

4. they sure are, makes you silent for a second and start appreciating the beauty of nature even more
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's vast, it's awe-inspiring, it's beyond us and every photo series by Bregt makes me feel that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011
    Selamat pagi from faraway hot and (extremely!) humid Malaysia.
    Having a splendid time, having tried to cram a week's experience into two days (hey, I gotta *work* the rest of the days!), having seen a zillion temples, trekked through parks and mini-jungles and sampled many a fine satay.

Many interesting new experiences in Kuala Lumpur.
    Observation/lesson 1: Malay food is very much like Indonesian, but -probably due to Chinese influences, tends to be slightly sweeter overall
    Observation/lesson 2: Slow down to about half your normal speed. Otherwise heat and humidity fatigue will render you helpless within ten minutes.
    Observation/lesson 3: Bring three changes of clothing. Per day.
    Observation/lesson 4: Don't talk to transvestites. They'll follow you home.
    Observation/lesson 5: Don't tread on the sewer grates. They give.
    Observation/lesson 6: Australian men generally are short.

Once I get a decent internet connection (not easy to do. Interesting detail: This is the country Shell outsourced its IT to, as it was nice and cheap. Well, pay peanuts....) I'll upload some pictures.
  5. Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. Look forward to the pictures.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sounds like a great time, Martijn. Now I wonder what kind of job you have that takes you to such exotic locales!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote

applause
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote

applause

Love it biggrin

We want more tales and pics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Pics mostly! (and funny tales, ok wink ) Bregt's sharing all those wonderful photos, Martijn we want to see some photos too wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011 edited
    I desperately need to go away this year since I've not done a thing since I got back from Australia two summers ago. My best mate and I want to start thinking about planning a trip for this summer - anyone got any ideas? We're not interested in doing anything too "touristy" by any means and I'd personally rather spend 3-4 weeks somewhere on a shoestring budget than 1-2 weeks somewhere relatively expensive. There's more than a few well-travelled folk here that I'm looking to for inspiration (Tim, Bregt, Thor ???)...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011 edited
    Cool! 3 or 4 weeks is heaven. cool

I'll just talk of what I did.

South-East Asia is cheap (and from London there's cheap flights as well to Bangkok for example) and very comfortable for travelling around, with its many hostels and guest houses, and it's even quiet in May/June. You'll always find a place to stay and experience the relaxed mood. Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, .... (although the latter has more touristy venues like Angkor Wat, if you search around you'll find alternatives to the stuff most people do)

I went to Portugal last year, and I loved it. It was great; meeting people, very relaxed, experiencing the food and wine/porto, ... (not much focus on cultural visits and such)... Skip Algarve though, Portuguese aren't proud of it (and that's where all your fellow country men are, getting drunk). There's also a lot of places to surf (around Lisbon).

Lisbon is a great hangout for visits and parties (I'm sure you are more into that than I am) and also Porto has a fair share of famous places. And in those three or four weeks you plan to have, you should also visit the lesser known and visited parts. Definitely go to the North as well (Braga, Viana do Castelo) and do a hike in the famous Serra de Geneda-Geres national park. Go to the Eastern side of the country, with its mountains and far away places. Visit a port winery in the Douro, do the train trip along that river, get lost in this region, ... I loved it, and it was a pity we had only two weeks. And it's quite cheap. The hostels always have a spot left (at least in mid-season) and cost around 10 to 15EUR a night, including breakfast, which is a fair price.

What I like to do once is to travel by train through Europe, and visit what I'd want and see what happens along the way. Since I'm getting 26 in half a year, the InterRail pass will not be as cheap anymore. Also Iceland and/or Faroer is something I'd love to hike through. And Lofoten in Norway. And Scotland and Britian's national parks. spin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011
    LSH wrote
    I desperately need to go away this year since I've not done a thing since I got back from Australia two summers ago. My best mate and I want to start thinking about planning a trip for this summer - anyone got any ideas? We're not interested in doing anything too "touristy" by any means and I'd personally rather spend 3-4 weeks somewhere on a shoestring budget than 1-2 weeks somewhere relatively expensive. There's more than a few well-travelled folk here that I'm looking to for inspiration (Tim, Bregt, Thor ???)...

What do you both want out of this holiday? adventure, hiking, driving, relaxation....all of those? Short or long haul destinations?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Have to echo Bregt's suggestion of Southeast Asia...you've got culture, relaxation, excellent food and drinks, cheap prices, fantastic nature etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Thanks to Bregt for that insightful reply!

South East Asia is somewhere I've wanted to visit for a while - I met dozens of people in Australia who had just arrived from there and had only good things to say.

To answer Tim, I guess relaxation is our main priority really but I would need for the opportunity to be adventurous to always be there.