• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    But yeah, a Harryhausen fan like me would have been seriously amiss not to have gone up Mt.Teide for some ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. atmospheric soaking wink

Harrywho now?

Hmmmmmmmmm love Happiness is bumping into Raquel Welch. Very slowly
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I wouldn't say no to a Las Palmas trip or Tenerife, for that matter (especially if it coincides with the film music events there), but in general, I'm not that big a fan of beach holidays. I'm either into a) cities or b) outdoors activies that don't include sand in every bodily crevice.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2013
    jibber jibber :drool:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I wouldn't say no to a Las Palmas trip or Tenerife, for that matter (especially if it coincides with the film music events there), but in general, I'm not that big a fan of beach holidays. I'm either into a) cities or b) outdoors activies that don't include sand in every bodily crevice.

I believe all the Islands have fabulous interiors with great hiking opportunities, just check the pics Martijn and myself put up.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In fact, I think none of tge Canaries have (natural) sand beaches: they're completely volcanic, mind!
    For beach holidays, I think Turkey or Greece may be the better places to go!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    In fact, I think none of tge Canaries have (natural) sand beaches: they're completely volcanic, mind!
    For beach holidays, I think Turkey or Greece may be the better places to go!

They do have natural beaches but it's all black sand. I believe that golden sand is imported from the Sahara specially to make it more eye candy for tourists wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    p.s. there are many parts of the British coast that are as good or even better* than the sandy beaches of Greece or Turkey, it's just that our weather isn't as guaranteed.

*far less 'spoilt' by horrible built up touristy areas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But isn't black sand just crushed volcanic rock? If memory serves it's sharp as glass.
    I may be wrong, but that's what I seem to remember.
    Not too keen on beach holidays myself.

With the odd exception, of course.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    But isn't black sand just crushed volcanic rock? If memory serves it's sharp as glass.

With the odd exception, of course.

Now there's a place you've been that I haven't that I'd really like to go! cool

You've got me thinking on the 'black sand' thing, I've walked on a black sand beach in New Zealand and I remember it being much corser than "normal" sand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

Really? I thought that was "your thing".
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I can do a year of 3-day trips with that money! tongue
    (but not in London it seems cry )

No surprise, this country is a bloody rip-off.

London is crazy. The moment you set foot there you open your wallet and you won't close it again until you leave. Banknotes and coins just continue to jump out. London's price level surpasses Paris and is rivaled only by Rome.

confused Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

London is crazy. The moment you set foot there you open your wallet and you won't close it again until you leave. Banknotes and coins just continue to jump out. London's price level surpasses Paris and is rivaled only by Rome.

confused Volker

Compared to Oslo, London is relatively cheap. We have the dubious honour of having the world's most expensive capital.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Captain Future wrote

confused Volker

All of those places are bloody overpriced compared to good old Berlin! punk

...Du bist so wunderbar, Berlin... love
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

Really? I thought that was "your thing".

shocked
    I like palm trees. I love cocktails.
    Beaches I've never in my life been keen on! I'm a woods, mountains and jungle man myself (if I'm not sauntering around in strange cities!)
  3. The year I did not have my hair rumpled up in the wind of the October hurricane blowing from the west, standing on the brink of the North Sea ... is a lost year with regard to traveling.

http://www.syltferienwohnung.biz/bilder … a-sylt.jpg

Ich will zurück nach Weeee-steeeer-laaaaand!

cheesy Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

confused Volker

All of those places are bloody overpriced compared to good old Berlin! punk

...Du bist so wunderbar, Berlin... love

Indeed. I love to use beer as a comparison for these things.

Average price of a pint in Berlin: $3.2
    Average price of a pint in London: $4.4
    Average price of a pint in Paris: $7.45
    Average price of a pint in Oslo: $10.5

cry
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    He ain't no fjords man though!
    Kazoo
  4. Thor wrote

shockedshockedshocked Holy SHIT!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What do they pour you in? Gold? smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

And that's the AVERAGE price, meaning most cool places are a bit more expensive than that. I think what is dragging the average down is some of the tired old pubs for drunkards. A more "normal" pub price is about $12. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a small bottle of Chimay in one of these pubs. The price? $21.

No wonder I keep coming back to Ghent. Top class beer for a tiny percentage of our prices.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

I feel for you Thor.

Especially when I think that it's prohibitively expensive for you to drown your sorrows due to the annoyabnce of beer being so expensive.

sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

confused Volker

Compared to Oslo, London is relatively cheap. We have the dubious honour of having the world's most expensive capital.

It's been a long time since I've been in Norway but I remember Oslo very well, even without Jesus being there my money turned into water.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It was as long ago as 1987 that I was in Norway shocked

Price of a pint of lager here in the UK at that time...

Approx - 90 pence

Norway...

Approx - £3
  6. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

No wonder I keep coming back to Ghent. Top class beer for a tiny percentage of our prices.

ah you said it bud beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2013
    If you want to explore a city or a place, but avoid the most glaring tourist traps, is there a website that offers such 'alternative' sights and things to do?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would have thought so? The Lonely Planet books always give "alternatives".
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Lonely Planet is not always a good idea. You could wikitravel.org or virtualtourist.com. The latter have a tourist trap and off the beaten path section. However I think most tourist traps are obvious? Scheduled Organised tours are usually a good indication, lots of people gathering, ...

Touristy things are not always bad though!

The worst trap I had was in Norway btw, in Eidfjord. We wanted to see Vöringfossen and asked info how to get there, and they gave us a ticket on an organised tour including a museum. We didn't knew until we were on the bus with music of Peer Gynt and corny speeches... rolleyes
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Lonely Planet is not always a good idea. You could wikitravel.org or virtualtourist.com. The latter have a tourist trap and off the beaten path section. However I think most tourist traps are obvious? Scheduled Organised tours are usually a good indication, lots of people gathering, ...

Touristy things are not always bad though!

The worst trap I had was in Norway btw, in Eidfjord. We wanted to see Vöringfossen and asked info how to get there, and they gave us a ticket on an organised tour including a museum. We didn't knew until we were on the bus with music of Peer Gynt and corny speeches... rolleyes

Yeah, I hate that. Thing is....I want to explore a bit of the surrounding areas in Tallinn, but I've only encountered organized tours -- especially to the islands. Thanks for the tips about those sites, though, Bregt.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2013 edited

Yeah, I was just there.

Interesting thing about the night clubs. I went into a similar trap myself a couple of years ago in Budapest. All the pubs were closed, so we went into a night club for some more drinks. Well, we hadn't read the fine print on the front door which said you had to drink a minimum of $140 once you order something. The print was very small, so none of us caught it. After one beer, we wanted to leave (as there was nobody there but women looking for expensive, private lap dances), but a huge guy said we couldn't leave untill we had spent our $140. Yikes! Well, we tried to reason with them -- to no avail. And none of us had the number to the Budapest police. So we ended up sitting there untill 6:30 in the morning drinking every last drop we could manage to at least get SOME of our money's worth (we could have just paid $140 and left, of course).

Anyways....lesson learned. Won't be doing that again.
    I am extremely serious.