• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013
    Sounds fantastic. It should be pretty warm too, which is the thing I'm most envious about as the temp is reaching -15 and beyond for the next few days up here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013
    Thanks! I'm sure it'll be rather very busy and crowded, but very surreal and loads of fun.
    Kazoo
  1. Bregt wrote
    Thanks! I'm sure it'll be rather very busy and crowded, but very surreal and loads of fun.

And watch out for pickpockets!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013 edited
    The FALLAS DE VALENCIA... WOW! You have to see, hear and feel it to believe all what I experienced. I cannot really describe well the atmosphere and joy I had. This is one amazing and often surreal festival. It's unbelievable how much noise and drinks are processed here. Throughout the day, thousands of bombs, fireworks and firecrackers are ignited on every square, street and alley of the city. By children, their parents, tourists and ... yes, us as well.

There's the spectacular daily Mascletà at the main square (2PM) on which several tens of thousands of people gather on the square and in the streets. During just 6 or 7 minutes hundreds of bombs and fireworks explode, creating an unbelievable feast of sound and smoke and shaking. The last day of the Fallas every quarter and district has its own mascletà throughout the day, resulting in a city that is AT WAR. There are explosions everywhere and nothing is spared. I've seen 10 people moving a parked car that shouldn't have been there, and when they failed to move it a little further, they got some wooden planks to 'protect' the car from the bombs. It didn't prevent the car from turning on the alarm, even though no one could actually hear this alarm. The mascletà is unique in the world. I read in a Spanish paper yesterday that it was a quieter year compared to previous ones because of a new rule from the European Union...

Then there's the daily fireworks at the Turia gardens at 1AM. I've seen quite some fireworks and even a firework festival, but these three evenings, in which again tens of thousands of people attend on bridges and lanes, are the most spectacular I've ever seen. I think the whole year budget of Belgian fireworks is spent here on one evening. Two of these fireworks lasted over 20 minutes. They even beat the one I saw in London on NYE. The fireworks also had some limitations because of new EU regulations for the amount of smoke in the air.

And then when you think you will sleep well after getting in bed at 5AM, every morning at 8 o'clock there's another mascletà; the morning call. Some people like marching through the street at this time to light another batch of explosions, accompanied by fanfare and drums. As quickly as they appeared, they're gone 5 minutes later. Sleep is not part of the daily habit during the Fallas. I think everyone attending this feast lost some hearing...

There's also a constant parade that marches through the city with traditionally dressed woman who deliver a flower at Plaza de la Virgen that are put on a huge wooden construction. The whole parade lasts for two days and counts over 100.000 men, women, children and 9500 musicians. Because of this parade, you can hear music in about every place in Valencia. Again, this was amazing, especially because the musicians are very enthusiast and keep going until the middle of the night. The last day when the sun is gone, there's a parade of fire and light.

Of course another big part of the Fallas are the puppets and constructions that are on a lot of cross roads in the city. They are called 'falla' and there's a contest between every district. There are over 100 of them spread out over the city. Some of them are very impressive and more then 20 meters high. They are made from wood and papier-mâché. They contain fantasy and rarely there's no reference to politics. Lots of irony and even some cynicism. Merkel and Rejoy I've seen several times. But they're also beautiful and many are really works of arts.

The last day, these constructions, of which some costs several thousands of Euros, are set on fire, the Cremà. Lots of firemen are spread over the city to get this job done safely. What a spectacular end of a festival. It's quite dramatic to see these statues burn down in such a short time when some neighbourhoods worked several months to get it done. I saw burn down a spectacular huge one on a little square in the center. You cannot feel what I experienced there.

And then there's the great atmosphere. Practically the whole city is traffic free, you can walk everywhere freely, there are so many people but except for the daily events it is all quite doable. Then of course, the food and the Spanish way of life. I didn't see a church from the inside or visited a museum but I don't think that was necessary. We did see the most sights, but especially got into the atmosphere and enjoyed it immensely. It's a festival unlike I've everything I've done (and I think I can say I've been to quite a bit of places the past few years).

We did go see the very futuristic and exceptionally well integrated Calatrava buildings at the end of the Turia. I loved this spot. This looks like a futuristic city and I was very impressed by it. However, financial crisis is looming here too as the buildings are wearing down a little but there's no money to keep it all looking well.

I've now visited Spain for the past 5 years at least one time a year and I love it every time. It's a great country with a fascinating history and culture. It pains me, also because we have great members from there, that the country is in such a bad state. Festivals like this help to get through it I think. I will go back. I will posts pictures and videos soon.

Martijn, all I can say is that since you think of going, I would not postpone it. Next year is yours!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013
    Also, what I liked was that it was a very Spanish event. Even though there are quite a bit of tourists, most of them are Spanish. It seems it is not very international yet. Not a bad thing but I wouldn't keep it a secret to keep it that way.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Looks great Bregt. Only thing for me is that I hate huge crowds, Glastonbury once a year is enough for me. If I was carried around on a huge gold throne by 8 naked ladies then that would be brilliant.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sounds like you had a f*cking AWESOME time, Bregt!
    Next year it's MINE!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Awesome report for what seemed like a superb event, Bregt. I'm envious, as always, but I'm a bit worried about what all the noise would have done to my tinnitus.

But hey....a festival devoted to drinking, binging, partying and setting things on fire amidst splendid city architecure? Yeah, love it.

Looking forward to pics and videos and stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Looks great Bregt. Only thing for me is that I hate huge crowds, Glastonbury once a year is enough for me. If I was carried around on a huge gold throne by 8 naked ladies then that would be brilliant.

Yes, especially the main events (mascletà and fireworks) bring out huge crowds. The last day had over 100.000 people for the mascletà finale. However, it quickly disappears again and then it's just kinda busy on the streets but since it's all traffic free it's all really doable.

Martijn wrote
    Sounds like you had a f*cking AWESOME time, Bregt!
    Next year it's MINE!

punk

Thor wrote
    Awesome report for what seemed like a superb event, Bregt. I'm envious, as always, but I'm a bit worried about what all the noise would have done to my tinnitus.

But hey....a festival devoted to drinking, binging, partying and setting things on fire amidst splendid city architecure? Yeah, love it.

I was worried for my ears too, but except for the little street mascletà (see video on Facebook), I didn't close my ears or so. And nobody else seemed to bother to do that either. The thrill of the explosions and the buildup to the finale of these mascletàs (the same kind of explosions returns during the night fireworks) are bizarre and causes the oddest sort of joy to the crowds. The first time I was like laughing and cheering and amazed by this surreal feast of noise and thrills.

Here's a video of the final mascletà at the main square. Just try out the last few minutes. Nothing can get over this sound. It's epic and hilarious at the same time. I still have to laugh when I think about it. biggrin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szjTD9XU2t8
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013
    My. God.
    It's like a WAR ZONE!
    INSANITY!

...I can't wait for next year. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2013 edited
    Posted some videos of street mascletàs on the last day of the Fallas. Enjoy!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151306570577811
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151304478107811
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2013
    Cool! It makes me want to see more of Spain than just Barcelona.

Btw, wouldn't it be a great idea if everyone posted their 2013 travel plans (whether already booked and planned or just on the tentative stage) -- providing you all have any, of course?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2013 edited
    Added some pictures of the Fallas itself too.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … amp;type=1

Except for a short citytrip to Cologne/Köln in May, I have no plans for 2013 yet. I am not in the mood to find out where to go or what to do somehow. Just a long hike would have my preference currently...

Thor, you will be everywhere this year, right?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Added some pictures of the Fallas itself too.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … amp;type=1

Except for a short citytrip to Cologne/Köln in May, I have no plans for 2013 yet. I am not in the mood to find out where to go or what to do somehow. Just a long hike would have my preference currently...

Thor, you will be everywhere this year, right?

Not really. It will probably be less travelling than the last years. Here's where it currently stands:

April 18-22 -- Kosmorama film festival in Trondheim (including film music seminars and concerts)
    June 7-17 -- Boston/New York (including John Williams concert in Boston). At the moment this is 80% against and 20% pro because of the money. I'll make a final decision within 2-3 weeks.
    July -- a couple of weeks in my hometown in the South (including the family island)
    August -- summer house in Denmark, probably
    September -- Krakow Film Music Festival. Again 80% against/20% pro
    October -- Horner in Vienna, Elfman in London, maybe Ghent (depending on guests)
    Fall -- city trip to Dublin w/friends

That's about it. It always depends on a lot of things, including my job situation in the fall, my money situation etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That's a lot of festivals and film related events! No big trip this year either. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013 edited
    We decided to go to Romania for 15 days at the end of June! It's a land with great mountain scenery.

I talked with Cristian a little and we will try to do hike with sleepover in mountain hut in the Bucegi Mountains, part of the Carpathians and of which Cristian often posts fantastic pictures of. A friend's sister in law comes from Romania so there's another connection as well!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013
    Cool! I've always been impressed by Cristian's pictures (even though some of them may have been 'tampered with' in photoshop afterwards?). Should be brilliant.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013
    I'm thinking about booking a 'consolation prize' for myself now that the Boston/NY trip is off. Like a long weekend in Tallin (Estonia) or something, once my exams are over in the beginning of June. It's one of Europe's cheapest capitals, so it should be doable.

Other alternatives are Stockholm and Copenhagen. Amazingly, even though both are close (and I've spent every summer in Denmark since I was a kid), I've never really explored the cities and 'experienced them'. I think I've driven through Copenhagen as a kid and I've been in Stockholm one night only.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013
    Stunning!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2 … apse-video
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2013
    The "consolation prize" trip to Tallinn has now been ordered -- June 14th - 17th. Almost everyone I asked had to decline, but at least I managed to "catch" ONE of my friends. So it will just be the two of us. I have no idea what there is to see in Tallinn. I was in Riga two years ago, so I assume it's a similar 'vibe'.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    The "consolation prize" trip to Tallinn has now been ordered -- June 14th - 17th. Almost everyone I asked had to decline, but at least I managed to "catch" ONE of my friends. So it will just be the two of us. I have no idea what there is to see in Tallinn. I was in Riga two years ago, so I assume it's a similar 'vibe'.

My family took a trip through the Baltics in summer '07, so I was just 15 then, but basically from what I remember Riga felt like an Imperial European city, comparable with Prague or Budapest, with a lot of 19th-century architecture and city-planning in evidence. Tallinn felt quite a bit smaller (well, it is, about half the size) and has a town center that felt half-medieval, half-very modern (get far enough out, though, and it starts looking like every other Soviet leftover with big grey apartment blocks and such). They have quite different "vibes" actually, I thought...but as to bars and nightlife and stuff, couldn't tell you a thing. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2013 edited
    Yeah, I loved Riga for the reasons you cite -- and more (great night life!). I'm not expecting the same from Tallinn, but hopefully we can do something more than just explore the old town core. Maybe a day trip out to the islands or something.

A great benefit is the cheap prices on stuff. We've booked airplane and a great hotel for three nights (an apartment, actually, with a balcony overlooking the Balcan Sea) for just $345 in total pr person. If I'd been Bregt and would suffice with a hostel, I could get accomodation really, really cheap. But I'm not. tongue
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I can do a year of 3-day trips with that money! tongue
    (but not in London it seems cry )
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha.....that price is very, VERY low cost to me.

Ya gotta have comfort, man. COMFORT!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2013
    Bregt wrote
    I can do a year of 3-day trips with that money! tongue
    (but not in London it seems cry )

No surprise, this country is a bloody rip-off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2013 edited
    Not really. But London IS. (Worth it though, he spake as a full-on Londonophile).

Taking a bit of a break on La Palma some time in the coming month.
    It's been an exhausting time, and I quite desperately need some place to detox from stress and 'requirements'.
    La Palma, which seems to offer very little but sea, beaches and wonderful volcanic landscapes and woods, seems to fit the bill perfectly! :palm tree:
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2013
    Have all the relaxation you need Martijn! Sounds like a great location to hike!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Not really. But London IS. (Worth it though, he spake as a full-on Londonophile).

Taking a bit of a break on La Palma some time in the coming month.
    It's been an exhausting time, and I quite desperately need some place to detox from stress and 'requirements'.
    La Palma, which seems to offer very little but sea, beaches and wonderful volcanic landscapes and woods, seems to fit the bill perfectly! :palm tree:

I recommend some Mario Nascimbene for landscape enhancement biggrin cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, that would be more apt for Tenerife (which is stunning but very foreboding). La Palma is more my cup of tea! (I think I'll bring me some Williams).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    No, that would be more apt for Tenerife (which is stunning but very foreboding). La Palma is more my cup of tea! (I think I'll bring me some Williams).

Looks wonderful, I must go to La Palma one day.

Tenerife is incredibly verdant in the North but my favourite place was THIS starting point for a hike through the gorge down to Los Gigantes.

But yeah, a Harryhausen fan like me would have been seriously amiss not to have gone up Mt.Teide for some ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. atmospheric soaking wink

I hope you'll take and post some pictures?