• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2013
    Thor wrote

Yeah, I was just there.

Interesting thing about the night clubs. I went into a similar trap myself a couple of years ago in Budapest. All the pubs were closed, so we went into a night club for some more drinks. Well, we hadn't read the fine print on the front door which said you had to drink a minimum of $140 once you order something. The print was very small, so none of us caught it. After one beer, we wanted to leave (as there was nobody there but women looking for expensive, private lap dances), but a huge guy said we couldn't leave untill we had spent our $140. Yikes! Well, we tried to reason with them -- to no avail. And none of us had the number to the Budapest police. So we ended up sitting there untill 6:30 in the morning drinking every last drop we could manage to at least get SOME of our money's worth (we could have just paid $140 and left, of course).

Anyways....lesson learned. Won't be doing that again.

What-a-horror-story shocked

We had an almost similar experience in some seedy bar in Pat-Pong, Bangkok, there was about eight of us and luckily they don't grow them "too big" in Thailand and we barged our way out en-masse, the Police were outside ( non related incident ) so the heavies just went back inside and left us alone.

London's Soho also has bars like that and they can make you pay a lot more, as I understand it the Police are powerless to do anything because of that heinous small-print.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Thor wrote
    Yeah, I was just there.

Interesting thing about the night clubs. I went into a similar trap myself a couple of years ago in Budapest. All the pubs were closed, so we went into a night club for some more drinks. Well, we hadn't read the fine print on the front door which said you had to drink a minimum of $140 once you order something. The print was very small, so none of us caught it. After one beer, we wanted to leave (as there was nobody there but women looking for expensive, private lap dances), but a huge guy said we couldn't leave untill we had spent our $140. Yikes! Well, we tried to reason with them -- to no avail. And none of us had the number to the Budapest police. So we ended up sitting there untill 6:30 in the morning drinking every last drop we could manage to at least get SOME of our money's worth (we could have just paid $140 and left, of course).

Anyways....lesson learned. Won't be doing that again.

Whaa? What kind of ridiculous business decision is that? I'm sure that you're not the first people that's happened to and I'm also sure that there are more than a few people who do read that fine print and decide not to come in at all. Ridiculous. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2013
    It's a very shady business in certain countries, but the government has a hard time dealing with it because there IS a print, albeit small -- like Tim said.

They prey upon "thirsty" tourists after the (much too early) closing times of the pubs. The pubs close early in Britain too, but most of the night clubs are at least more professional -- you pay a cover charge and that's it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2013 edited
    Most Pubs here can apply for licenses that allow them to open all night long if they like. Differences include if the pub is in a residential area which means they have to call last orders at 10.45 pm. Most pubs not affected will generally close doors at around 1.30 am*, at least in my part of the UK they do.

*weekends. You won't find too many pubs doing late business on week days.

p.s. If I were your guide though, I can take you to a number of all night long dens of iniquity if you like your life lived on the Mos Eisley side of the street wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    But that's fairly early in Norwegian terms, as we don't usually make a distinction between pubs and night clubs that way. They're both open to about the same time (depending if you're geographically inside or outside the socalled 'pouring ring' -- directly translated). Closing times are usually between 2-3 for most places.

Pubs in Britain are more tied to the working people; a larger part of your everyday culture.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's true Thor though there are exceptions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2013 edited
    So I'm off to Tallinn (Estonia) for the weekend. I have four worries -- 1) the weather forecast is a bit insecure (some rain), 2) my chronic ailments are acting up just as we're about to leave (typical!), 3) Not sure if there's enough to see in Tallinn to sustain a long weekend and 4) insecure about my new travelling companion (we've known each other for many years, but never travelled abroad just the two of us).

Still.....a necessary respite for me in a stressful everday. I haven't been abroad since October last year!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2013
    Just returned from a lovely trip to my girlfriend's home town of Vilnius, Lithuania. Had a great time soaking up some sun and getting absolutely fucking shit-faced. Can definitely recommend Lithuania - beautiful countryside and very cheap (by UK standards).

cool
  2. Lee and you guys didn't go a bit south to my country?! I should be offended biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. LSH wrote
    Just returned from a lovely trip to my girlfriend's home town of Vilnius, Lithuania. Had a great time soaking up some sun and getting absolutely fucking shit-faced. Can definitely recommend Lithuania - beautiful countryside and very cheap (by UK standards).

cool

when aren't you shitfaced? wink

still, sounds great. Didn't know your girlfriend was from Lithuania. I'm sure this means she lives in Britain now?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013 edited
    Returned from Tallinn.

A great city, but I'm REALLY worn down right now. Had a massive party on Saturday -- dinners, beers, drinks, wine, food (boar!), karaoke, a huge and loud disco and then capping it off with a gentleman's club. Went to bed in harsh sunlight at 6:00. Still feeling the consequences. dizzy

I'm too old for this shit.

Will probably post a few pics on facebook (no, not the party pics!).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013
    biggrin
    Kazoo
  4. Thor wroteWent to bed in harsh sunlight at 6:00.

Holy crap, I remember that from our trip now. There is no night in Estonia during the summer. Gets dark at midnight and light at maybe 2:30. dizzy
  5. So it's not really world travelling, sort of just U.S. travelling, but I'll be driving 1800+ miles through the heartland of America this summer. Starting in Southern Nevada, I'll be driving all the way to Lexington, Kentucky. It will take me over the spine of North America (the Rocky Mountains), through Denver, through Kansas City, and through St. Louis. My brother is moving to Kentucky for law school and he and his wife need some help getting one of their cars there.

To put this in perspective for you Europeans, this is farther than the distance from Paris to Moscow. There will also be a lot less people on my route. Still I'm super excited. My parents have agreed to watch our kids, so my wife and I will get to road trip alone for the first time in about seven years.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2013
    Sounds fantastic Christopher punk

Just for you Americans I think you'll find us Europeans know more about distances between countries than the majority+ of Americans.

FACT! wink
  6. I believe that smile. But I don't expect you to know the distance between Mesquite NV and Lexington KY, and don't most European countries talk distance in kilometers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2013 edited
    That's a long trip by car! In Belgium we would take the airplane or not go at all because of our small country, a lot of people won't go far away anyway.

Sounds like a great trip though. Share some pictures if you can.
    I'd love to cross the US from one side to the other.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sounds great, christopher. Driving cross-country in the US is one of my most-desired holidays.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    I believe that smile. But I don't expect you to know the distance between Mesquite NV and Lexington KY, and don't most European countries talk distance in kilometers?

In the UK it's Miles. Here in the UK a journey of 200 miles is considered a very long journey cheesy wink
  7. Out in the western U.S. cities are far enough apart that a drive of 200 miles is not out of the ordinary. Everything is pretty spread out.
  8. Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    I believe that smile. But I don't expect you to know the distance between Mesquite NV and Lexington KY, and don't most European countries talk distance in kilometers?

In the UK it's Miles. Here in the UK a journey of 200 miles is considered a very long journey cheesy wink

Wiki: A mile is a unit of length most commonly equivalent to 5,280 feet (1,760 yards, or about 1,609 metres).

When will Britain finally turn metric ?!!? wink

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree Volker, the weights & measures & lengths are a right mess and just as confusing to us crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013 edited
    I'm leaving for Romania tomorrow. 15 days in Transylvania and the mountains (and a little bit of seaside because some of my friends wanted to relax in 30+ degrees uhm ). We'll also cross the Transfagarasan pass, which Top Gear once claimed to be "the best road in the world". Our car will not be as fancy though but the scenery looks spectacular. We stay in the Saxon cities with castles and monasteries, stay in some little villages and one night in Bucharest.

However, the highlight should be a 2 day hike with Cristian! We'll hike through the Bucegi Mountains which he often posts pictures of on his Facebook. If all goes well, I'll see him on Tuesday.

See you in 15 days and enjoy the music.
    Kazoo
  9. Have a great journey ... and don't get bitten by the Vampyr! wave

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013
    Sounds fantastic and way beyond something I can arrange for myself -- you're lucky to be so young, restless and with friends that aren't set with kids and families!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I remember seeing that episode of Top Gear and I thought that road was a blight on the landscape and I still do, however I'll bet it's a fun journey to travel.

Have a brilliant time Bregt! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Lovely! What great trips you make, Bregt! Enjoy.
    Looking VERY much forward to the photos.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Lovely! What great trips you make, Bregt! Enjoy.
    Looking VERY much forward to the photos.

Yes, the photos should be very interesting cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2013
    Photos from my hike with Bregt and Aaron in Bucegi Mountains

https://www.facebook.com/cristian.lee.3 … amp;type=1

It was an amazing hike. I'm glad I was the guide for Bregt and showed him a part of our beautiful mountains. My favorite moment of the day was when we drank belgian beer and we watched the sunset above the clouds.

Soon I will post photos with the landscapes.

Enjoy!
  10. Stella Artois ?

(For certain reasons that brand is special for me.)

Voker