• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Some pics of the 50km GR 126 section we did last weekend.

And now I count down for Iceland in two weeks! punk

Looks lovely Bregt, reminds me strongly of areas close around me such as the Mendips, Chedder and South Wales.

It also reminds me that I really don't have to go very far if I want to do some weekend walking shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Bregt wrote
    Some pics of the 50km GR 126 section we did last weekend.

And now I count down for Iceland in two weeks! punk

Nice!

The first photo I went to? The three Chimay beers! shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ha! It's one Chimay Bleue and two Rochefort 8's. tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012
    Sounds like cheeses! lick
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    Sounds like cheeses! lick

And Maredsous and Orval too! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Those sound rather like the names of philosophers from Magrathea... dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin

(that's a planet in Hitchhiker's right?)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    thumbsup You are one hoopy frood who knows where his towel is!
  2. Bregt wrote
    Ha! It's one Chimay Bleue and two Rochefort 8's. tongue

shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012 edited
    I've been very busy at work the past two weeks and it wasn't always very pleasant. I haven't been around here very much either and film music listening was almost zero. However, I listened a lot to Of Monsters and Men, a very cool Icelandic band, with uplifting music. Perhaps you know them from Little Talks.

But today is my last day and this evening I leave for Iceland. I was able to shrink my backpack to 10kg/22pounds, including food and water. Only the tent and camera stuff needs to be added (2kg). That's fine I think. I broke my toothbrush in half, removed all useless tickets from clothing, threw away boxes from food, ... Any other advice on stuff that is not necessary? wink

See you in two weeks, hopefully alive and back for summery weather. Keep it save here. Thomas and Alan, keep reviewing!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012
    He, he....your packing routine reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r0dr_juOiI

Have a great trip, Bregt! I'm totally envious, especially after I saw the pictures from your last Iceland trip.

I'm not on a 'trip' right now so much as I'm in a film jury here in my hometown Grimstad (which has been hosting the Norwegian Short Film Festival for the last 25 years). Great festival feeling, but a bit odd to combine my film network from Oslo etc. with my hometown network.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012
    Bon voyage Bregt wave
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Bregt, hope you have a wonderful trip. Come back in one piece and we'll drink one on your return in a couple of weeks beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Come back in one piece and we'll drink one on your return in a couple of weeks beer

Only ONE? shocked I'm so disappointed right now wink beer
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Come back in one piece and we'll drink one on your return in a couple of weeks beer

yes, that sounds disappointing, but then again, we do know we'll drink more than one the moment you guys visit us in Ghent, so we saving our thirst until then smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012
    Ah
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

yes, that sounds disappointing, but then again, we do know we'll drink more than one the moment you guys visit us in Ghent, so we saving our thirst until then smile

beer punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2012
    Hello again! smile wave

All good here? I'm a bit sunburned. 24 hours of sun is a lot! We finished the trek (almost 90 km) in 7 days (one resting day and midnightsun festival BBQ). It all went really well, with the backpack and carrying food. In better shape then I thought, or just underestimating myself again. Eyjafjallajökull and Myrdalsjökull were our beacons for a long time during the hike. Hot pools in Landmannalaugar welcomed us upon arrival and it was very satisfying to arrive after one fantastic journey through the Southern highlands.

Up to the next hike, hopefully in Corsica!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    GR20 Bregt?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nooo. That's crazy. That's more Timmer-like stuff. tongue

There's a few others, like Mare e Mare and Tra Mare e Monti. smile
    http://corsica.forhikers.com/long-distance-paths
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like the sound of both of those hikes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012 edited
    I completed the Iceland album on Facebook. Took a while again, but otherwise it's just uploading everything without any context. Work hasn't been much fun lately, so it's nice to come back to them often. The friend who joined and I will be hiking again for sure, but it will not be on Corsica it seems... Not everyone was into it (some people joined that never walked more then 5km in one day, so splitting up would be rather awkward), so we'll have a combination of rests, walks and cities on the island. Not sure if I'm entirely happy with that, but the island looks fabulous in any form, so perhaps I should join the chill and have a relaxed holiday for once.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012
    Bregt wrote
    I completed the Iceland album on Facebook. Took a while again, but otherwise it's just uploading everything without any context. Work hasn't been much fun lately, so it's nice to come back to them often. The friend who joined and I will be hiking again for sure, but it will not be on Corsica it seems... Not everyone was into it (some people joined that never walked more then 5km in one day, so splitting up would be rather awkward), so we'll have a combination of rests, walks and cities on the island. Not sure if I'm entirely happy with that, but the island looks fabulous in any form, so perhaps I should join the chill and have a relaxed holiday for once.

I think you should. Travelling is so much more than hiking! Don't get me wrong, I love a good hike as much as the next guy, but I also need my cities and High Livin', dammit!

But brilliant photos from the Iceland trip. I really need to get there some time....being a fellow Nordic country and everything (haven't been to Finland either, come to think of it).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012 edited
    I was just thinking how much I'd like to be back here....

REUNION

I think I mentioned before how STEEP the trails were wink

p.s. My profile picture was taken on Reunion.

....i have very itchy feet spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012
    ...and of course a day rarely goes by for me without thinking about...

THE ULTIMATE HIGH

....super itchy feet crazy dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012
    Timmer wrote

REUNION

That's like something out of JURASSIC PARK.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

REUNION

That's like something out of JURASSIC PARK.

Not surprising at all Thor, Reunion was created exactly the same way as Hawaii ( where Jurassic Park was filmed as you know ) and has active "safe" volcanoes that regularly flow with lava ensuring the Island continually grows.

Piton De La Fournaise ....a shame I missed the fireworks display by a Month when I was there in 2003.

And THIS PIC makes it look even more like Jurassic Park cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012
    After two years we went on a little trip to France. It was our first time camping. I should add luxury camping, because we hired a mobile home. It was a good way to experience camping life and see if we and the kids like it. But enough comfort too. The mobile home was perfect, very cosy and clean, including a wooden veranda with a comfortable garden seats etc. Our home was at the edge of the campsite so just woods in the backyard, perfect! It was a cool spot, which was great, because I like to avoid direct sunlight. There was a nice swimming pool, again with trees to sit under and drink beer.

We were in the Verdon area. We once went to the lake (St Croix) and drove along the Canyon du Verdon. Impressive!! The next day we went for a hike. I chose a shorter hike that was low, near to the water, but crap, it was hell. Very hot, we didn't have enough water and we had to do a lot of climbing. We are not used to it, so it was tough. But the place is gorgeous. Azur water and many people peddling, swimming, rowing and watercycling in the cold clear water of the canyon. Only one regret: we did not hire a canoe or waterbike to go on the lake and into the canyon. When we were dying while walking we thought, why did we not take a boat?! So we'll have to go back one day and do that.

We went just one week, just the four of us. We had a great time. It was a try out (both going with just us instead of with other families, and staying on a campsite instead of hiring a house like a BelleVilla home or something). It was an excellent week. Lovely weather. Of course, the exact week we were away, the weather was the same here as in France. Now it's back to rain here and I have a blanket on my legs as we speak...

This is the view from the bridge where the lake goes into the canyon (technically, the other way around of course). The lake is behind you and when you pass this bridge you have a gorgeous view into the canyon, the first part at least. The canyon is huge (both high and long). And there are parts where you can walk or hike, even climb and do rafting or canyoning. We didn't go that far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wow, looks brilliant! Don't worry about the hiking....not all of us can be Bregts and Timmers! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That sounds like a lovely holiday Bregje! Stunning canyon landscapes and azur blue water. That entrance.exit of the river is awesome. Very paradise like. And with camping with nature close by, it must've been quite relaxing! cheesy

The kids must've loved it. What did they think of the camping/mobile home?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Looks wonderful Bregje, fabulous limestone formations....just my cup of tea cool