• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011
    Eh, what's that? I've not seen or read any news today.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011 edited
    The whole monsoon season has been worse
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/g … d-pictures
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia- … 13953.html

In Bangkok there's hundreds of pumps on the main river too, and over 200 large factories are closed (threatening 100 000 jobs).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    James, were you in any of the regions that are now flooded. It's unbelievable what's happening in Thailand and its neighbouring countries, and again in Pakistan. It's devastating.

I wasn't anywhere which has been impacted so far, but it looks like it's getting worse and Bangkok will be hit soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    The whole monsoon season has been worse
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/g … d-pictures
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia- … 13953.html

In Bangkok there's hundreds of pumps on the main river too, and over 200 large factories are closed (threatening 100 000 jobs).

There has been no coverage of this in Norwegian media, but a friend of mine lives there with her family and she reported the situation on facebook.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011
    Another long weekend, is another short trip! Back to the Ardennes, the foresty (what's the difference with forestry?) part of Belgium. We are close to the Abbey of Orval, where they brew one of the six Belgian Trappists. Combined with some real good prepared food, pancakes, drinks and walks, it'll be a good hideout after a busy week at work (which will just continue next week anyway).
    Kazoo
  1. "Foresty" I would assume would be forested - somewhere that has a lot of forest(s). "Forestry" is the whole endeavour of planting and maintaining forests primarily for conservation but also for commercial uses.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atta boy Alan, teach him the wild ways! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If the weather is good enough I'm going over to the Brecons this weekend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Run foresty run!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer's motto :- Life is like a crate of beer drink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt, do you ever sit still?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt, do you ever sit still?

What we all want to know! smile

Looks like a great trip, Bregt. Nature, drink, good times!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011 edited
    LSH wrote on 3 October
    I'm hoping to get a little report typed up about my recent trip to Spain and Morocco soon but I'm just waiting for my mate to send me the memory card with the accompanying photos first.

I still want to know how you did end up in Morocco and what you visited in Spain! tongue
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012
    Sorry guys. In the couple of months after the trip I was working excessively and I spent the Christmas period with family in Australia. Any silence in between was down to pure laziness.

I'll do my best to get one up within the next week. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012 edited
    I have one trip planned for 2012 so far....providing the health allows me (and it better, because we've already booked plane tickets) - Rome in April. I've never been to Italy before, so that should be good.

Oh, and although it's not abroad, I'm going to Tromsø in the north of Norway now in January, to cover Tromsø International Film Festival. Michelle Yeoh are among the stars attending. Maybe also director Alexander Payne. Should be fun. I've been all around Norway, but never to this city, often named "Paris of the North". It's pitch dark all day and night (except for a little bit of dusk a couple hours around noon), so looking forward to all the moody lights! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Hi all,

I need a bit of help from my UK-bound friends on this board.
    I'm planning to take the car and visit a bit of the UK with my nephew in Feruary. We will both need a break by then (me from writing PhD stuff, he from exams).

So we have decided to get the car on the train in Calais and go to Folkestone, from where our trip begins.

I have set my sights on Dartmoor national Park, so that's where we are heading and then back again. But we have no real sights in between that we 'have to see'.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Also another question, on the way to Devon, we would follow the smaller roads along the coast (and google maps predicts the entire trip would take 6 hours or so). We won't do that on one day.

However, on our way back from Devon we would be trying to do the trip in one day. Google map suggest as quickest route the A303, followed by the M3 then the M25 around London and then down along the M26 and M20 towards Folkestone. According to Google Maps that would only take 5 hours.
    But i'm a bit scared to go direction London, as I'm afraid I might get cought in traffic. I am planning on returning on a Saturday, though, so that might make some difference.

What are the UK-residents views on the best road to take to get from Exeter to Folkestone by car?

Thanks already in advance,

Elin

PS Any of you guys live close enough so I can wave from my car in passing? tongue wave
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  3. My first trip in 2012 is planned for April, together with a meeting and gathering with my friends of StreamingSoundTracks. On April 7 we will attend a Harry Gregson-Williams Concert in Dallas, Texas A week later we are at the EaSST Coast Gathering in New York (on friday evening a Concert at Carnegie Hall, Concert of Oscarwinning scores and a JW-tribute).
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012
    Before the days of Lonely Planet...

Mt Kanchenjunga from Darjeeling in India

...you had the likes of Edward Lear ( yes, of The Owl and The Pussycat fame ) giving image to far off lands that only the rich or the British Army ever got to see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    smile Lovely.
    Logically we don't have many real adventurers any more these days.
    For all the good that has brought, it does mean a little bit of magic has gone out of the world.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Beautiful pic. I'd really love to visit India some day, although I'm worried about the health situation (everyone gets stomach problems there, and I'm not sure how that combines with my liver etc. issues).

As long as this thread is ressurected, does anyone have any travel plans for 2012?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    (everyone gets stomach problems there, and I'm not sure how that combines with my liver etc. issues).

Very true. Quite literally EVERYBODY I know who has visited there (and that's quite a few in IT land) has come back with Bangalore Belly (though some worse than others: fro slight discomfort to extremely urgent emergency care). slant
    India is NOT on my to-visit list.

As long as this thread is ressurected, does anyone have any travel plans for 2012?

Nothing right now. Money is ratehr tight. slant (although if Ubéda moves to Málaga that would be a major blip on the radar screen).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah. I've not known anybody, myself included, who's got away scott free ( <whatever does that mean and where does it come from? ) in India, a shame that it puts some people off, there really is nowhere on Earth like it and still remains my # 1 in places I've visited, as an experience it's unforgettable.

p.s. After 3+ months of being in India I went from approximately 210Ibs to 160Ibs.....believe me, that's thin on my frame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oooo! Dropping 50 pounds? By holidaying?

I can suddenly not only see a renewed appeal, but I have a brilliant plan for a new way of holiday making that's potentially gonna make me a LOT of money!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Yeah. I've not known anybody, myself included, who's got away scott free ( <whatever does that mean and where does it come from? ) in India, a shame that it puts some people off, there really is nowhere on Earth like it and still remains my # 1 in places I've visited, as an experience it's unforgettable.

p.s. After 3+ months of being in India I went from approximately 210Ibs to 160Ibs.....believe me, that's thin on my frame.

Because your stomach was upset and you hardly ate anything?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A multitude of reasons.

1) Occassional stomach upsets and except for one nasty bout it was nothing that couldn't be controlled by imodium.

2) Eating very healthily, loads of veg and rice etc.

3) Being so active, trekking, swimming etc etc.

4) Not eating enough....usually this coincides with lack of appetite ( see # 1 wink )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Oooo! Dropping 50 pounds? By holidaying?

I can suddenly not only see a renewed appeal, but I have a brilliant plan for a new way of holiday making that's potentially gonna make me a LOT of money!

As long as your diet plan doesn't include dysentry and the like wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Details, details...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I like that drawing. Like Martijn said, it has this adventurous feel. India frightens me. It's so big! Bengalore Belly (wonderful name!) doesn't make it more attractive.

I noticed we don't have an icon for Bengalore Belly. Perhaps a combination? bhangra vomit

Not much travel plans. A short citytrip to Madrid with colleagues in a few weeks. 80% of them are going to watch a football game. I think the rest of us will have a drink instead. Any of the museums worth visiting (I know there's the Prado, but I'm not very much a museum person)?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    I think the rest of us will have a drink instead.

I approve of this.