• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011
    Holy shit Tim. That's magnificent! shocked

How long did this trip on the Everest take you?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Holy shit Tim. That's magnificent! shocked

How long did this trip on the Everest take you?

Why? Do you fancy a crack at it? I'm sure you'd go one better and climb to the damned top! wink Anyway...

The first time was with my friend Richard and the actual trekking took 21 days but we did some side trips where we went off the beaten tourist trail, that includes that crevasse jump, this trip is one of the best adventures I've ever had.

The second time was again with Richard but Melanie was along with us so we didn't do anything risky and just kept to the tourist route, it took about 18 days but that was at a much more leisurely pace than when Rich & I did it by ourselves. Views wise, this was the better trip as the weather was clear for our entire stay.

p.s. On the first trip we carried all our own stuff, tents, cooking equipment etc, the second trip was much much easier as we hired Sherpa porters and it's something I would recommend, not least because it puts money into a very poor community but also that the Sherpa people are an absolute joy to be with and befriend plus you can learn so much more than from just reading a guidebook.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That are some stories Tim, wow. You need to be experienced it seems. I can't imagine hiking for 18 days.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    That are some stories Tim, wow. You need to be experienced it seems. I can't imagine hiking for 18 days.

Believe me, you could Bregt, obviously, with the high altitude you have to go slowly and carefully but you do get used to it, the first week is the toughest and it takes your leg muscles some time to get used to it. When you go back down to near sea-level you feel so fantastically fit you feel like you could run 10 marathons back to back biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011 edited
    Just got back from Riga. Yikes, I tried to keep up my old & usual "heavy drinking and eating" routine despite a number of health issues, which wasn't very smart of me. Difficult to control oneself when there's "group pressure".

Still, it was a great trip - a beautiful, underrated little capital with good nightlife, cozy old town, great selection of beer and food (and not too expensive), nice parks and canals and monuments. We explored, discoed untill 5 in the morning (poor tinnitus!), took a boat trip, drove to the beach town of Jurmalla just outside the city, shopped, some went for a spa while others drank all day long.

It's heartily recommended for those who crave an inexpensive city long weekend with lots of money value!!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011
    Pics from Riga:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= … 9d412b4361
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2011 edited
    I was jealous of everyone going to all these magnificent world heritage sites and so decided to go to one of the great tourist spots of the world, Benidorm. This was for my friend's stag (aka bachelor) party, for three nights.

A quick summary of the highlights:

- A group of girls attached themselves to our group on one of the nights. One of them was a real stunner. We started to wonder whether she might be a stripper or something, since she had the body for it and seemingly the attitude towards sex as well. A bit later another chap walked up, got his phone out and held a picture up to her and said "Is this you?" It was, and it was a picture of her with nothing on, sitting on his lap, apparently taken a few weeks earlier. She was in fact a lap dancer. After this she started taking clothes off at regular intervals.
    - Another group of girls we started talking to in the swimming pool asked where we were from. Most of the group is from Wales and so that was the answer given. "Oh, where's that?" This wouldn't be amusing were it not for the fact that they came from Bristol (a small number of miles from Wales).
    - A Scottish gentleman came and sat with us, said "Hello lads" and then just sat there for a while. We had no idea who he was. It took a good 15 minutes before he asked "Am I sitting with the wrong group?"
    - After a meal, the waitress asked us whether we wanted dessert. "What do you recommend?" "The fresh fruit salad. Well, it's not actually fresh fruit."
    - I am not, contrary to popular belief, a big drinker most of the time. I suspect I drank as much in these three days as I would do in a month, usually. Didn't go to bed before 5:30am. I really didn't think my body would be able to do that any more, but evidently it can. Excellent news!

I shall report on the various museums and other cultural exhibits we visited in a separate post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2011
    applause

I hope you visited Tits Modern?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hilarious! biggrin applause And I wanna hear about more, lots more!!!
  1. I think you will find it is Tate Modern. Or am I completely out of touch? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Awesome, James! I'm not sure where Benidorm is, but who cares if you've got swimming pools, naked girls and lots of booze! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Spain, Thor smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. I think I am a world traveler.

I am from the Netherlands visited the countries in Western Europe (except Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Spain)
    Canada (Ontario)
    USA (25 states)
    Singapore
    New Zealand (North and South Island)

My next trip will be West USA again, including the John Williams Concert at the Hollywood Bowl.

So if anyone wants to have more information about my experiences just let me know
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011
    SiriusCreations wrote
    I think I am a world traveler.

I am from the Netherlands visited the countries in Western Europe (except Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Spain)
    Canada (Ontario)
    USA (25 states)
    Singapore
    New Zealand (North and South Island)

My next trip will be West USA again, including the John Williams Concert at the Hollywood Bowl.

So if anyone wants to have more information about my experiences just let me know

Nice list there. You should try out Eastern Europe too. Lots of gems there.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote

Yes most east until now would be Poland / Ukraine border.

But indeed south east Europe is still on my list to visit
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    SiriusCreations wrote
    Thor wrote

Yes most east until now would be Poland / Ukraine border.

But indeed south east Europe is still on my list to visit

Budapest is one of the most beautiful cities in all of Europe....even compared to the likes of Paris and Prague.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    25 states in the USA! shocked

A couple of road trips I presume? smile

Is Hawaii part of those 25? wink
    Kazoo
  5. Bregt wrote
    25 states in the USA! shocked

A couple of road trips I presume? smile

Is Hawaii part of those 25? wink

Indeed road trips West and East USA. Some of those trips can be found om my travel gallery:
    http://gallery.siriuscreations.nl - previous trips

Hawaii is one of the 25 States I have not visited yet smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    SiriusCreations wrote

Interestingly that the one state in the US I am most interested in visiting.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    SiriusCreations wrote

Interestingly that the one state in the US I am most interested in visiting.

Does TAHITI count?

Not that I've really been there, but I had a tantalising taste of it on a flight from Auckland, New Zealand to LA, California, the Jumbo stopped there for just over two hours, there was no real terminal and we walked straight onto the runway which stretches into the sea, the sunrise happened while we were there colouring the sky line with golds and purples and reds, the palm trees were gently swaying in the breeze below the huge forrested volcanic mountains and the views of the Island as we took off for the sky again were breathtaking. That hurt a lot, I just soooooooooooooo wanted to stay! sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think you just hurt several others with that image Tim.

A bit surreal though, such stop in between, and then moving forward again.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011
    I'm off to Ubeda tomorrow, together with Elin and Thomas. Hopefully we'll get there on time for the recital and the McCreary concert, because after the flight, we have a 4 hour drive ahead of us. Then we'll be meeting up with Jordi, Marcel and other in the same hotel, and hopefully enjoy the concerts and the first cervezas in 35 degrees. In the mean time, I'll be handing out my last batch of kazoos and have my picnic in between olive trees.

After Ubeda, I return to Madrid, drop off Elin and Thomas, and pick up 4 other friends for a trip through Cuenca and Teruel province, some of the least populated regions. We visit Cuenca (World Heritage city on a massive rock), do some canyoning in Tragacete, visit the Moorish/medieval city of Albarracín, join the feria mediaval in walled Daroca, and relax in Sigüenza, with its a cool castle and cathedral. I hope we manage to make us self clear. I have Marcel's phone number close with me. smile

See you guys (although I'm sure I'll be able to connect to some wifi's). Keep it safe here! wave
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Damn....that's some holiday right there! The master of "off-tourist-pist" trips strikes again!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Monsoon rain to 35c heat biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011
    Bregt wrote
    I'm off to Ubeda tomorrow, together with Elin and Thomas. Hopefully we'll get there on time for the recital and the McCreary concert, because after the flight, we have a 4 hour drive ahead of us. Then we'll be meeting up with Jordi, Marcel and other in the same hotel, and hopefully enjoy the concerts and the first cervezas in 35 degrees. In the mean time, I'll be handing out my last batch of kazoos and have my picnic in between olive trees.

After Ubeda, I return to Madrid, drop off Elin and Thomas, and pick up 4 other friends for a trip through Cuenca and Teruel province, some of the least populated regions. We visit Cuenca (World Heritage city on a massive rock), do some canyoning in Tragacete, visit the Moorish/medieval city of Albarracín, join the feria mediaval in walled Daroca, and relax in Sigüenza, with its a cool castle and cathedral. I hope we manage to make us self clear. I have Marcel's phone number close with me. smile

See you guys (although I'm sure I'll be able to connect to some wifi's). Keep it safe here! wave

I want to come tooo cry

Have a great time and of course photos photos photos!!!! wink wave
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2011
    Considering a trip to Thailand in September. Will be going for two weeks.

Two questions for the group's experts:

(a) Ideally I'd love to have a few days in Bangkok before moving to a beach, but it's much more expensive than just spending the whole two weeks on the beach - is it worth it?
    (b) Which beach? Don't want to go somewhere that's too isolated but equally, don't want to go somewhere too crowded - looking for a happy medium!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Considering a trip to Thailand in September. Will be going for two weeks.

Two questions for the group's experts:

(a) Ideally I'd love to have a few days in Bangkok before moving to a beach, but it's much more expensive than just spending the whole two weeks on the beach - is it worth it?

Yes, definitely! Although a week would probably be too much. 2-3 days are perfect. You'll get everything from canal trips to a visit to the "skyscraper" to the seeding, thriving, BLADE RUNNER-like atmosphere of Khao San Road and its co-streets. A must-have! Not that expensive either, if you spend the night in some of the cheaper B&B-type places there. We slept at the D&D inn the first night, which was a bit expensive, perhaps (relative-wise), but loved our stay at a place (forgot its name) in a neighbouring street. Cheap and nice, even a pool on the roof top.

(b) Which beach? Don't want to go somewhere that's too isolated but equally, don't want to go somewhere too crowded - looking for a happy medium!

You could go to Ko Phi-Phi Don island (and a visit to its neighhbouring national park island Phi Phi Le, where THE BEACH was shot), but it's changed a lot since the days Timmer was there. It's not the chill place with few tourists anymore. It's got massive tourism now (I was there in 2009), and a bit crowded at times. Lots of Scandinavians (esp. Swedes). Avoid Phuket and Krabi too. Not too sure about Ko Samui at the east coast, which is also a popular destination. Might be easier to find a less crowded place there. There might be other smaller islands that are more laidback, but we didn't explore them.

Either way, Thailand is awesome. You won't regret it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2011 edited
    As Thor points out, any info I could give is very out of date, I spent over three months in Thailand but that was wayyyyyyyyyy back in 1989-1990.

Even then, Koh Samui had a huge party atmosphere and was starting to get very popular for full moon parties, Koh Phangan is the neighboring Island and was incredibly chilled out ( it took a 30 minute walk through a tiny jungle trail to get to the huts we stayed at ) but I've no idea how much it has developed since then? Probably a LOT I suspect, I'd bet that the 'tiny jungle trail' to the huts can now be taken by taxi.

My best advice is buy the latest Lonely Planet guide.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    As Thor points out, any info I could give is very out of date, I spent over three months in Thailand but that was wayyyyyyyyyy back in 1989-1990.

Even then, Koh Samui had a huge party atmosphere and was starting to get very popular for full moon parties, Koh Phangan is the neighboring Island and was incredibly chilled out ( it took a 30 minute walk through a tiny jungle trail to get to the huts we stayed at ) but I've no idea how much it has developed since then? Probably a LOT I suspect, I'd bet that the 'tiny jungle trail' to the huts can now be taken by taxi.

My best advice is buy the latest Lonely Planet guide.

Yes, and I stress the LATEST!!

We had one from 2006, and even that was WAY out-of-date in 2009. The tourism on Phi Phi, for example, had expanded radically since 2006.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cripes! I spent two weeks on Phi Phi and even back then it was considered amongst the most touristy of the Islands, the hut I hired ( it was gorgeous, on high bamboo stilts with a hammock on the porch ) costs £1.50 a night and that was really expensive by the standards of Samui and Phangan, it was right on that strip that got completely washed away by the 2004 tsunami sad