• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Bregt wrote
    Not in Iceland anymore. Damned!

Hi all!

Hi Bregt! wave

Good to see you back safe and well. And ready to get back into all things maintitles.net!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011
    A volcano didn't eat you? Lucky man! tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Welcome back, Bregt! Looking forward to your report and pictures!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011 edited
    It was the most intense and fantastic trip I've ever done (as intense as the Norway trip 3 years ago). Some of the best moments were the BBQ with view on Eyjafjallajökull, a long off road trip + hike to a hot pool with the host of the hostel, whale watching, northern lights, visiting the empty herring factories and villages of the West Fjords, bathing in a swimming pool next to the ocean, avoiding sheeps on the road, driving off road and through rivers is so much fun, ... The absolute highlight for me was the hike to the Bláhnjúkur in Landmannalaugar. A very steep climb of about 360m at the edges of the mountain but with a spectacular view on the rhyolite mountains of that place. Quite exhausting, but absolutely fantastic. It's the most fascinating place we visited.

I must adminit though, that we never slept in tents. We had them with us, but it was so damn cold at night, that most of us didn't dare to camp. However, the hostels in Iceland were often extraordinary. We slept in turf houses, old farms, school, ... and at often splendid locations for a very cheap price (about 18EUR and often less). September is a great month (no booking ahead) and we rarely had rain (mostly when driving) or bad weather. The sun was out most of the day (the evenings are still cold), and in the North we were able to walk around in t-shirt. Lucky bastards perhaps, but then, here they say, you get the weather you deserve. wink

Beautiful country and nature, and also the history (sagas and settlement) is quite interesting. It's an odd thing, having so much space, but only 300 000 souls, with 2/3 of them living in and around Reykjavik. It's never desolate (only in the central highlands) because there's always a farm somewhere, but it's so relaxing and peaceful. Unbelievable.

Pictures and stories later.

Now, I can see the black hole coming.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thanks for the welcome, I hope everything has been going well around here? I see Alan and Thomas did well too!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As usual, you seem to get most of the things done! Well done. Iceland is one of the countries that I most like to visit in Europe. It used to be one of the most expensive places in the world too, but I guess a consequence of the financial crisis has made it more affordable to tourists too.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Bregt, your enthusiasm for Iceland just wants me to visit more!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. good to see you back safe and sound Bregt, good to hear you had a great time

now relax, ... a bit wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. He's just back from a holiday! He has been relaxing. Now, back to work!!

wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregt, your enthusiasm for Iceland just wants me to visit more!

I had plans to visit Iceland about 15 years ago ( I even bought a guide book in anticipation ) but it was the costs that put paid* to it.

*pun intended.

I have serious plans for travel soon but Iceland will still have to wait, I'm thinking Turkey or Jordan.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall has the rare Thai "double post syndrome".
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Southall has the rare Thai "double post syndrome".

Seems like it, doesn't it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    love you long time
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    love you long time
  6. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    same
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    same
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    but different?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011
    Hey James, I took a sneak peak at your Thailand pics over at facebook.

Looked marvelous, and made me -- once again -- miss that glorious country.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011 edited
    I'm hoping to get a little report typed up about my recent trip to Spain and Morocco soon but I'm just waiting for my mate to send me the memory card with the accompanying photos first.

Got the bug proper now. Already planning the next trip...!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011
    I look forward to your report and pics Lee.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Me too! And the story on how you did end up in Morocco.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My guess is it was a short boat ride to Tangier wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Hey James, I took a sneak peak at your Thailand pics over at facebook.

Looked marvelous, and made me -- once again -- miss that glorious country.

Yeah, I had a look at James pictures and it brought back lots of memories, Bridge over the Kwai at Kanchanaburi, there was a political thing going on at the time I was there because "they" ( whoever "they" are? ) wanted to turn the area more touristy by having re-enactments of the bombing of the bridge with fireworks, sound effects and actors building the railroad.....a great idea! I always thought the Polish should do the same with Auschwitz.

Phi Phi was instantly recognisable and your elephant trekking reminded me of the trek we did, I could only manage sitting on the elephant for a couple of hours before getting so uncomfortable I ended up walking alongside, our trek also included bamboo rafting and going to the Golden Triangle where I partook of opium ( a once off ) and I have to say it was bloody gorgeous! dizzy

James, there was one picture of you and Kerry with a "tiger", I'm sure I've seen that exact same one and that it was in a temple at the top of a huge stairway a couple of miles outside of Kanchanaburi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    James, there was one picture of you and Kerry with a "tiger", I'm sure I've seen that exact same one and that it was in a temple at the top of a huge stairway a couple of miles outside of Kanchanaburi?

Correct! Well-remembered.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011 edited
    HEY BREGT!!! wave

How about this for a hike....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Nd1qtk … re=related

Fancy trying it with me some time? devil punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011
    Phuh. There's a whole section with stairs. That's just lazy walking!

Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Correct! Well-remembered.

James, were you in any of the regions that are now flooded. It's unbelievable what's happening in Thailand and its neighbouring countries, and again in Pakistan. It's devastating.
    Kazoo