• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012 edited
    SiriusCreations wrote
    LOL I revive this thread to ask if somebody will be around during my Texas, Louisiana, New York trip and then we only going to talk about the visit of the nice surroundings of Scotland (which is also still on my list of 'Have to visit') rolleyes

Same for me as for Bregt, I'm afraid. If I can make this trip, it will be for the LA events....maybe a few extra days to do something else in the immediate surroundings. Your plans sound very ambitious, but you guys are great planners, so I'm sure you'll make it. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Even on Skye, at the end of June, it never gets completely dark I think. It has been a while since I have been at that time of year but I do remember Skye being remarkably light at 11-12 pm.

Thor, what is it like with you around about this time? (I need to go and see just how far north Oslo is!)

Oslo is not far enough north to have midnight suns and winter darknesses. But of course, once you move beyond the polar circle, it starts to happen.

I remember travelling to Bergen by train and in the late/early hours it was still twilight ( this was in a July ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Even on Skye, at the end of June, it never gets completely dark I think. It has been a while since I have been at that time of year but I do remember Skye being remarkably light at 11-12 pm.

Thor, what is it like with you around about this time? (I need to go and see just how far north Oslo is!)

Oslo is not far enough north to have midnight suns and winter darknesses. But of course, once you move beyond the polar circle, it starts to happen.

I remember travelling to Bergen by train and in the late/early hours it was still twilight ( this was in a July ).

Yeah, we often have late twilighs in the summer time, also in the South. I love that, and it's also something I miss when I'm travelling to exotic locales (whether Tanzania or Thailand) where it get dark more quickly.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012 edited
    Last Sunday I was a informant at an alternative travel event in which 244 travellers inform travellers. We each had a table, a few chairs and waited for people that were interested. I was informant for Iceland and a little for Spain (East, Madrid, Barcelona and Andalucía). I talked continuously from 11AM to 5PM and answered the oddest questions (Worried parents asked "how is Iceland for pregnant woman" for their daughter biggrin ). Most people that came to me were interested in the route we did, and I brought books and maps to explain what me and my friends did. It was really cool. I explained that 2 weeks would a be a bit short, and that September was ideal because nothing has to be booked in advance (except car obviously).

I sat next to a very cool young family that talked about their 3 month trip through Europe with their 4 kids (3 to 6 years old). Lots of families talked about travelling with kids, and it seems the idea that kids stop all travel, is something that's in the head. It's just very different, but still possible.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun to do, and to meet new people and get new ideas. I asked around for a good hiking holiday for n00bs like me, and two told me Corsica would be a good idea. There are a few treks on the island of several days, and there's also the apparently famous GR20. But it's a very hard one, so it's more for the experienced. Anyhow, I convinced my friends to go to Corsica, and to a Mare a Mare hike of 6 days. Then another week of chill and cosy towns. Scotland was a favourite option too, but we were not eager to walk in the rain yet... Sorry Alan! Another time I'm sure.

Anyone been to Corsica?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012
    Very cool, Bregt! smile

I agree with your assessment of 'travelling with kids'.
    It seems that around me, couples cease to live because they have kids (I blame the "Dr. Phil culture" that seems to propagate the "once y'all have kids, y'all's laaahvs are on hold!" fallacy)!

Believe you me, if and when I ever have kids, my life is going to change only so much as to facilitate any practical/financial circumstances. The rest -including traveling- is going to be VERY much the same!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah, I must say that I don't go into the discussion anymore when something like that comes up. I often tell about the travel event from Sunday, I invite them every year, but they seem to ignore the fact that it's really possible. Kids seem to shut down life of so many. Even marriage actually, and with some friends getting married and buying/renting a house, I see them less and less. I couldn't live without my friends, but then, I don't have a girlfriend either!

EDIT: About the event, I was in the 'section' Europe and I was one of the youngest, which was a pity, to meet new people. It seems the younger people that were there yesterday, were mainly in the Asia and Africa section and have seen half the world and the most exotic countries. Pakistan was even on the list! A visitor, around 20, said he left for a RTW next week! It makes you feel a n00b event though I think I've done my fair share as well! dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Good thing they invented ear plugs. Children in planes? ugh :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Caliburn wrote
    Good thing they invented ear plugs. Children in planes? ugh :P

Unless they're babies (which just can't be helped), AGAIN it's the PARENTS.
    CONTROL YOUR KIDS!!!!
    It's neither very hard, nor a crime, notwithstanding what American daytime television is trying to impress upon you.

Bregt wrote
    About the event, I was in the 'section' Europe and I was one of the youngest, which was a pity. It seems the younger people that were there yesterday, have seen half the world and the most exotic countries. Pakistan was even on the list! dizzy

It's going to be interesting how this develops in coming years: the late twentieth century has been VERY good in opening up the world for young people who have taken massive advantage of that. Now that we are spiraling into an ever worsening circle of crises, it's likely future generations will not be nearly as lucky or free as we were.

I wonder whether we are spoiled and incredibly lucky, or whether future generations are deprived?
    Perhaps a bit of both.

(That said, I find "holidaying" in regions like Ethiopia or Pakistan quite cynical).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cool event, Bregt. Really good idea, and I wish there was something similar over here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Four more sleeps and we'll be off to Vietnam for 3 weeks.
    Bit scary but I look forward to making a good video of the whole thing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt, CORSICA has long been on my plans for hiking, I had plans for the GR-20 and even bought the appropriate travel books before we changed plans to go to Mauritius instead with a weeks hiking on Reunion ( now that is TOUGH hiking ), I MUST get there soon, everything I've seen and read and talked about ( my good friend and fellow quiz ally Jerome is Corsican ) sounds brilliant, I think you've chosen well. beer

As someone who cancelled a planned trip to Pakistan in 2002 I'd have liked to ask that audience member about his journey's in Pakistan.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Four more sleeps and we'll be off to Vietnam for 3 weeks.
    Bit scary but I look forward to making a good video of the whole thing.

I hope we'll get to see some of your filming?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Have a great trip Atham!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TOP 5 BEAUTIFUL PLACES IN THE WORLD

I think I'll wait till I've seen the rest of the world before making a sweeping statement like that, Still, I could personally put a valid argument for the top 2 places wink

p.s. Some nice Vangelis to go with it cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    TOP 5 BEAUTIFUL PLACES IN THE WORLD

I think I'll wait till I've seen the rest of the world before making a sweeping statement like that, Still, I could personally put a valid argument for the top 2 places wink

p.s. Some nice Vangelis to go with it cool

He, he...yeah, the same thing occured to me. USA and Nepal = the world, apparently.

Never been to any of those, by the way.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2012
    Bregt wrote
    Have a great trip Atham!

Thanks Bregt.

And I hope to put some of the video up on YouTube Tim. smile
  1. So anybody wants to have a meet and greet with Dutchbat and me?
    See upcoming planned trip here
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2012
    Perhaps you should create a new thread, will put in the spotlight. Not every member reads this page.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012
    Off to Rome for a few days tomorrow.

Any last minute recommendations on things to see beyond the 'classics' (Colloseum etc.)? I've never been there before (or Italy at all).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A stroll down the Via Appia (in the footsteps of Paul the Apostle, or Julius Caesar) and a visit to the Trevi Fountain to imagine Anita Ekberg should make a film lovers' heart beat a little faster.

And I should of course not have to mention the Sixtine Chapel ceiling. But like the Trevi, it will be flooded with tourists. (Formally speaking though that's Vatican City and not Rome, but I'm sure you'll forgive me biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks. Yes, I'll try to get into the Sixtine Chapel, well aware of the tourists and probably also a steep ticket fee.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, and unless you're dead set on it, avoid the Colosseum.
    It's a horribly expensive, run-down, broken down heap of rubble, in terrible state of disrepair.

If you ever want to see a proper Roman circus, go visit El Jem in Tunisia.
    Almost as big as the one in Rome, it is in FAR better shape, and even better: you have free access to EVERYTHING.
    Plus, almost never any tourists.
    You can actually sit on the seats, all alone, and watch the sun go down over the majestic arena.
    Absolute magic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012 edited
    Have a good trip Thor! Rome is cool. Certainly go to the Pantheon and a church nearby with its optical illusion roof (forgot the name) on the inside.

Watch out when crossing streets!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Here it is Thor, the last one: St. Iganzio di Loyola Church
    http://www.eurocheapo.com/blog/rome-a-m … sions.html

We also did some of the other things mentioned in the article. Fun to do!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Oh, and unless you're dead set on it, avoid the Colosseum.
    It's a horribly expensive, run-down, broken down heap of rubble, in terrible state of disrepair.

If you ever want to see a proper Roman circus, go visit El Jem in Tunisia.
    Almost as big as the one in Rome, it is in FAR better shape, and even better: you have free access to EVERYTHING.
    Plus, almost never any tourists.
    You can actually sit on the seats, all alone, and watch the sun go down over the majestic arena.
    Absolute magic.

Reminds me of VOLUBILIS in Morocco, nowhere near as spectacular as the Tunisian site but like there it's absolutely free ( when I was there in 1999 there was nobody there except me and my friend Rich, made for a spooky experience as it was very ominous with impending thunder storm ), a whole Roman town it was the Western-most post of the Roman empire, very odd place that even had exposed human skeletons, very unlike any other archeological site I've been to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Have a good trip Thor! Rome is cool. Certainly go to the Pantheon and a church nearby with its optical illusion roof (forgot the name) on the inside.

Watch out when crossing streets!

I'll second that, it's flipping mental.

One of my enduring memories of Rome ( besides washing my sweaty feet in the Trevi fountain....how did I get away with that? ) was seeing Benito Mussolini's mansion, a real bad state it was with every window smashed and completely daubed in grafitti....I wonder if it's still there?

p.s. I loved Rome, have a great time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012 edited
    Back from Rome. I'll write a small report later. Short story -- bad weather, but lots to see. Lots of tourists too. And cheap wine.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012
    Pics from Rome here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= … amp;type=1

I guess I don't really need any more reporting than that. The trip is pretty self-explanatory.

Yes, we visited all the tourists destinations, but that's because I wanted to see them once and for all. So the next time, I'll be stearing clear of them. It's easy to say "oh, the Colloseum is such a pile or rubble...avoid it!" once you've been there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2012
    This long Labour weekend I can be found in Malmedy (Hoge Venen, Belgium) and Cochem (town at the Mosel river in Germany, just passed the border). We stay in hostels. Malmedy is close to Belgium's largest and highest nature reserve, and Cochem is an idyllic location with fancy castle overlooking the Mosel river. Local beers in Malmedy and a BBQ, and white wine tasting in Cochem. Hopefully some walks as well in between!

The only thing that doesn't look good is the weather. But, that should not be a problem inside! wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012
    Some pics of the 50km GR 126 section we did last weekend.

And now I count down for Iceland in two weeks! punk
    Kazoo