• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. If we ever meet face to face again and we debate this topic and we need someone to argue against your position then I'll take that role. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011
    Srsly? Vangelis created his own sound. His most influential, his sound is everywhere in all musical genres. He might not be the greatest FILM composer but that's a wholly different thing. I am talking about his solo works and his sound. He's one of the most prominent and influential figures.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm with D on this one! While I still hold a grudge against the man for Chariot of Fire :whip: he created a wholly unique sound and has written one of the all time great film scores; Blade Runner!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. I certainly appreciate that he developed his own particular sound - which is why I'll always prefer Jean-Michel Jarre. wink

But I don't personally hear his influence elsewhere, particularly in film music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011 edited
    Oh no?

Inception
    Tron

Are two bright examples of Vangelis tributes this year.

Long, dream synthy pads are everywhere too.

For instance, Jon Brion's work, John Murphy's and many other. Especially during 80's and 90', his sound was everywhere.
  3. I think that scores such as Tron and Inception are now a bit too far removed from '70s Vangelis to be directly attributable to his sound.

And I have difficulty in appreciating the influences such as these. Would the same influence be also given to someone like JMJ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He contributed to that sound too but i hear more and more Vangelis in these works. Just because Daft Punk or Zimmer do it with 2010's technological means and doesn't sound like Vangelis' 70's sound, that doesn't automatically mean they're not influenced. Plus i am not talking only about that very early period of Vangelis' music. For anyone who follows his work, his work up to 2000 is in there too.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Vangelis is one of the greatest, most influential figures in modern musical history and it's pretty much undeniable.

I think there's room for another adjective there. (Like 'Greek', for example. wink )
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah, not really into any other Greek musical on-goings i am afraid my friend; actually, only the most influential and worthwile: Vangelis, Hadjidakis and some of Theodorakis' work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that scores such as Tron and Inception are now a bit too far removed from '70s Vangelis to be directly attributable to his sound.

And I have difficulty in appreciating the influences such as these. Would the same influence be also given to someone like JMJ?

Oh yes, definitely. JMJ is also among the foremost pioneers of electronic music and hugely influential - both for contemporary electronic music as well as art pop acts. Not to mention the whole stage show aspect.

Vangelis, JMJ, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk...they're all reference points for what we hear today.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Vangelis? Give me Tomita any day. Or Kraftwerk.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Another very mixed (of styles that is, not quality) bag:

Dead Space 2 - Jason Graves
    Enigma - John Barry
    Jeeves and Wooster - Anne Dudley
    Spider Baby - Ronald Stein
    The Mechanic - Mark Isham
    The She-Creature - Ronald Stein
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Another very mixed (of styles that is, not quality) bag:

Enigma - John Barry

I've heard none of those except the John Barry, it's not bad, very listenable but nothing special.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. I quite liked the theme and some of the more "action"scoring. It is all very Barry-ish - which is good.

As for the others, they are all recent releases though Spider Baby was included in a multi-CD release of Stein's from Percepto a few years back.
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Another very mixed (of styles that is, not quality) bag:

Enigma - John Barry

Tell me if Dead Space 2 is even worth downloading for a listen. Because I feel a headache coming up just thinking about it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. I remember the headache-inducing original score but this one does have some worthwhile tracks.

It is full of head-thumping percussive rhythms and a proportion of bland soundscape, but tracks like "Canonical Aside" and "Lacrimosa" with it's small string ensemble and the melancholy were something I was immediately attracted to and are definitely a listen for those who like that sort of thing.

I'd certainly recommend giving it a go.
  9. OK I'll take an aspirin just to be on the safe side.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    OK I'll take an aspirin just to be on the safe side.

Yes, you should still do that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Which version of this did you get? (Either way, I look forward to hearing what you think - Isham at his best is fantastic but he can produce some interminable stuff at times.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Which version of this did you get? (Either way, I look forward to hearing what you think - Isham at his best is fantastic but he can produce some interminable stuff at times.)

Both! shame

I quite liked the idea of composer-prepared suites of music as well as the C&C tracks. I'll give an opinion once I take a listen but it probably won't be for a day or two.

Apparently there is a third version: both discs plus a whole bunch of "memorabilia".

BTW, I bought the downloads.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2011 edited
    THE TEMPEST (Elliot Goldenthal) - Well, it took about a month to get here from I ordered it, but now it's finally here. Great score! Very moody.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Today I ordered...

Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith
    Raiders of the Lost Ark - John Williams
    Chicken Run - HGW/John Powell
    101 Dalmations - Michael Kamen
    Tom's Midnight Garden - Debbie Wiseman
    Tale of Despereaux - William Ross
    Christopher Columbus - Cliff Eidelman
    A River Runs Through It - Mark Isham

Now that I own the first two I can officially call myself a film score collector shame
    I'm super excited for all of these. It's so nice when you get a little spending cash, you know. I just hope the labels don't announce any limited must-haves in the next little while, 'cuz I'm all out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2011
    Frickin' sweet haul, Christopher!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  12. Eternal Echoes (Barry)
    John Barry: The Collection

And from SAE:
    Terminal Velocity (McNeely)
    Bless the Child (Young)
    Link (Goldsmith)
    Carlito's Way (Doyle)

punk
  13. DreamTheater wrote
    Eternal Echoes (Barry)
    John Barry: The Collection

And from SAE:
    Terminal Velocity (McNeely)
    Bless the Child (Young)
    Link (Goldsmith)
    Carlito's Way (Doyle)

punk

you're on a roll punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  14. Arrived this morning:

13 Assassins - Koji Endo
    The Big Bus - David Shire
  15. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Arrived this morning:

13 Assassins - Koji Endo
    The Big Bus - David Shire

Can anyone help with a translation of the track titles for Endo's score?

http://yfrog.com/h33f0gnj
  16. They still managed to write 'Original Soundtrack' on the cover though. rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011
    Ennio Morricone - La Sconoscutia
    Annette Focks - Vier Minuten
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011
    The Film Music of Brian Easdale
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt