• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    I came to this as I was painstakingly tagging, retagging and organizing my MP3 collection.
    Downloading, paid or no, doesn't bring me any specific thrill. My interest and appreciation really peaks when I've actually spent some time and effort on the material!

For me, I just love tagging tracks so that everything is in order. If I find a track in amongst the 7200+ tracks on my mp3 player that isn't properly tagged (artwork missing, spelling mistake, etc) I just have to sort it out as soon as I can. Even though the likelihood of the track being played again anytime soon when all these tracks are on random shuffle is very low, I just know that it's there AND IT'S WRONGLY LABELLED! It just eats away inside... crazy

Now does THAT sound weird.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Now does THAT sound weird.

Weird?
    Noooo. Not at all! We're as normal as the next guy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's a psychological thing, not a matter of quality we're discussing here.

I fully agree.
    Psychologically the buzz of getting the LP out of its cover, putting it on, and seeing the mechanical action of the arm descending on the vinyl to produce the music is better than any format that has come since.

Of course there are also any number of environment variables (for example most of my records I bought when I was on a very tight budget, so each purchase had to be (and consequently was) very special), but of late I'm entertaining the theory that the amount of effort put in before experiencing the pay-off has a greadt deal to do with the amount of satisfaction derived.

I came to this as I was painstakingly tagging, retagging and organizing my MP3 collection.
    Downloading, paid or no, doesn't bring me any specific thrill. My interest and appreciation really peaks when I've actually spent some time and effort on the material!

(Does that sound weird?)

No, i completely feel you. Plus i almost never skip a piece on vinyl or cd, i just let go and enjoy the whole experience. With mp3s is bits here, bits there.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I agree about the psychological aspects. Unfortunately I do not have the money to get into vinyl, but the idea fascinates me.

My current strategy, which seems to be working well, is to limit myself to 3 new scores a week (2 purchased and 1 out of print or unreleased score obtained through alternate means :P ), and then listen to those 3 scores in their entirety once per weekday during that week. Only after those five complete listens do I tag the tracks I like so they can go on my iPod and such.

This strategy has a number of benefits, for me: it makes sure that I give difficult scores a number of listens to get to know them, it makes sure that I don't overplay scores I love (otherwise I would have totally overplayed Star Trek and Lost Season 4 by now, but they are still fresh), and it saves money because I have a list of about 200 scores I want to buy, but I am getting to them at a sane rate.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Very sensible strategy, Matt.

I wish I could follow it, but I simply don't have the time to dedicatedly sit and listen to music. It always needs to be as a backdrop to something else (mainly my traveling up and down to work).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I have the blessing of being able to listen to music at work, through high-end headphone equipment, so that is where I do that listening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    I agree about the psychological aspects. Unfortunately I do not have the money to get into vinyl, but the idea fascinates me.

My current strategy, which seems to be working well, is to limit myself to 3 new scores a week (2 purchased and 1 out of print or unreleased score obtained through alternate means :P ), and then listen to those 3 scores in their entirety once per weekday during that week. Only after those five complete listens do I tag the tracks I like so they can go on my iPod and such.

This strategy has a number of benefits, for me: it makes sure that I give difficult scores a number of listens to get to know them, it makes sure that I don't overplay scores I love (otherwise I would have totally overplayed Star Trek and Lost Season 4 by now, but they are still fresh), and it saves money because I have a list of about 200 scores I want to buy, but I am getting to them at a sane rate.

Used vinyls of film music in very good condition are very cheap, the shops don't appreciate the genre 'cause it doesn't sell much and you can find stuff for as low as 7 euros a piece (i bought Jerry Goldsmith's ALIEN and STAR TREK THE MOVIE (all original artwork / releases) for 8 euros each for instance). The lps which are very expensive are classic rock, jazz, blues etc. Oh and the irony? TYLER BATES' 300 on lp was 50 euros!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

Used vinyls of film music in very good condition are very cheap, the shops don't appreciate the genre 'cause it doesn't sell much and you can find stuff for as low as 7 euros a piece (i bought Jerry Goldsmith's ALIEN and STAR TREK THE MOVIE (all original artwork / releases) for 8 euros each for instance). The lps which are very expensive are classic rock, jazz, blues etc. Oh and the irony? TYLER BATES' 300 on lp was 50 euros!

Cripes! ( modern vinyl releases such as 300 and The Dark Knight do tend to be expensive but 50 euros!? shocked )

I've seen some LP's go for silly prices, particularly old James Bond vinyl such as Goldfinger going for £25 or more, the Bond LP's are hardly rare.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    As far as expenses go, I was under the impression that the equipment to play the records was more the issue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As always that completely depends on the standards you want to adhere to.
    Next to my very fine (and ancient wink ) AKAI turntable, I have just purchased a perfectly fine USB turntable for about $125 from ION, which works a treat as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    As far as expenses go, I was under the impression that the equipment to play the records was more the issue.

100 euros is all you need. That's what i got, it's ace (Granted you already have a good amplifier and speakers).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009
    Just ordered:

Brian Tyler - The Killing Room
    Dario Marianelli - Agora
    Javier Navarrete - Cracks
  2. WOW. All this discussion because I bought a fairly substantial CD order for the first time since June! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009
    Bob, waiting for your views on Cracks! Dario's score is brilliant, i am not too sure about BT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009
    Gabriel Yared - Amelia
    Marcel Barsotti - Die Papstein
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    BhelPuri wrote
    Gabriel Yared - Amelia

Good choices.

Really, I haven't heard of them. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    Gabriel Yared - Amelia

Notably, 2 of the best scores of the year.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009
    Boxhead Ensemble - Dutch Harbor: Where The Sea Breaks Its Back
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009
    I found a copy of The Count of Monte Cristo a few months ago. I remember hearing it in one of the do you know the score-games we had in the past, and I remembered liking it.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    envy

That CD is too difficult to find at a decent price. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    I think I paid 8 or 9 euros for it. Is it that rare? shocked
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Rare-ish, about £35.
  3. Rian wrote
    I found a copy of The Count of Monte Cristo a few months ago. I remember hearing it in one of the do you know the score-games we had in the past, and I remembered liking it.

that was in my game smile
    and it is indeed a good score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009 edited
    Which CofMC are you guys talking of? The Shearmur score can usually be found for about $20 on Ebay. The Coulais score I have been unable to find for a while now sad
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Gabriel Yared - Amelia

Notably, 2 of the best scores of the year.

Indeed, especially the latter one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009
    BhelPuri wrote
    Which CofMC are you guys talking of? The Shearmur score can usually be found for about $20 on Ebay. The Coulais score I have been unable to find for a while now sad

Yep, the Shearmur one.
  4. Went for a wonderful trio this morning

- Innerspace
    - The Rocketeer
    - Star Trek II Deluxe

Woohoo, and my Back to the Future / The Red Canvas has been shipped punk
  5. We're two lucky biatches then... mine has shipped too.

Ordered Innerspace & Bad Boys at Lalaland.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    We're two lucky biatches then... mine has shipped too.

Ordered Innerspace & Bad Boys at Lalaland.

not bad bud, even though I don't know why you haven't ordered Avatar yet, it's just available in the next couple of days
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009 edited
    I forgot face-palm-mt

Besides I don't think Lalaland does that? Ship regular releases?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.