• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Sylvos wrote
    Hey can we have a thumbs up smiley?

How 'bout THIS - thumbs

At ScoreReviews that was the 'giving the finger' icon which I never really lked, a bit too agressive. It's far better as a 'thumbs up' though I wish it wasn't still an angry red and the moving head makes it un-cool.

Yeh... we could do with a proper one wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    SUPERMAN RETURNS COMPOSER/EDITOR
    JOHN OTTMAN
    Reteams with Director Bryan Singer for
    “VALKYRIE”

(Los Angeles, CA) “Superman Returns” composer/editor John Ottman reteams with director Bryan Singer on his World War II film “Valkyrie.” Ottman again does double duty as both editor and composer for MGM’s “Valkyrie,” starring Tom Cruise as a German officer (in theatres December 26). Ottman will again join forces with Singer to score the upcoming film “Superman: Man of Steel;” Ottman has written the scores for and edited nearly all of “Superman” director Bryan Singer’s films including "The Usual Suspects" and "Apt Pupil."

The score to “Valkyrie” marks a high point in Ottman's unique career. Ottman's score is highly effective and avoids the cliches associated with a WWII story. This was done by blending carefully designed electronic sounds with the orchestra. When he couldn't find the right textures, Ottman manipulated his own voice to create them. Like his heralded score to “The Usual Suspects,” Ottman's music is the very pulse of “Valkyrie,” creating unrelenting tension and suspense, yet somehow artfully not getting in the way. The score subliminally leads to a highly emotional ending, culminating in an incredibly moving climax, leaving test audiences in tears. At times atmospherically restrained, and at others rousing, the score to “Valkyrie” is not one that can be categorized. Once again, Ottman provides an intelligent and refreshing voice, continuing to raise the bar in the art of scoring films.

“Valkyrie” is a true story that takes place during the height of WWII. A group of high-ranking German officers hatch a plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler, and seize power of the military command in order to end the war. The operation was code named "Valkyrie", for the emergency plan that was meant to be used in case of a revolt against the Nazi government.

Having also scored “X-Men 2” and “Fantastic Four,” Ottman is quickly becoming a musical voice for superheroes. For the Man of Steel, he wrote nearly two hours of score music for the adventure epic. As a tribute to fellow composer John Williams, Ottman incorporated about fifteen minutes of his original 1978 score into the film.

His editing on "The Usual Suspects" won him the British Academy Award and a nomination from the A.C.E. (American Cinema Editors). His score for that film also won the Saturn Award. Ottman and Singer first began collaborating together at USC Film School on “Public Access,” which won the Grand Jury Prize at the 1993 Sundance Film Festival.

Since then, Ottman has composed the music for such diverse films the recent “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang,” the thrillers “Hide and Seek,” “Cellular,” and “Gothika,” and the dark comedy "The Cable Guy" with Ben Stiller. Although most recognized for film work, Ottman’s score to Barry Sonnenfeld’s "Fantasy Island" garnered an Emmy Award nomination.

Author: Ray Costa Costa Communications
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Sylvos wrote
    Hey can we have a thumbs up smiley?

How 'bout THIS - thumbs

At ScoreReviews that was the 'giving the finger' icon which I never really lked, a bit too agressive. It's far better as a 'thumbs up' though I wish it wasn't still an angry red and the moving head makes it un-cool.

Majorest news since last year: a new batch of smileys will enter in the month November.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Oh yeah, I forgot he was an editor too! shocked
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008 edited
    “VALKYRIE”

I am looking forward for this score, can't say same for the movie.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Anthony wrote

If he was nominated for an Eddie, then why is he not in the A.C.E. roster? Richard A. Harris is another Oscar-nominated (also winner) editor, yet he's not part of the member roster. I just don't get it.

And Ottman has already recorded his score in Seattle... I guess too much of the budget was spent on Tom Cruise's paycheck to rule out a union orchestra.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  1. Matt C wrote
    Anthony wrote

If he was nominated for an Eddie, then why is he not in the A.C.E. roster? Richard A. Harris is another Oscar-nominated (also winner) editor, yet he's not part of the member roster. I just don't get it.

I think it has to do with taking on multiple department head positions on the same production.

The trailer for this production was quite strong incidentally. The music helped paint a strong sense of tension.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008
    VALKYRIE

This release will be available to ship on or after 12/16/08.

Tom Cruise In a country in the grips of evil, in a police state where every move is being watched, in a world where justice and honor have been subverted, a group of men hidden inside the highest reaches of power decide to take action. Tom Cruise stars in the suspense film, VALKYRIE, based on the true story of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg (Cruise) and the daring and ingenious plot to eliminate one of the most evil tyrants the world has ever known. Director Bryan Singer (THE USUAL SUSPECTS, X-MEN, SUPERMAN RETURNS) re-teams with Academy Award-winning USUAL SUSPECTS screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie to bring to life the story of the men who led the operation to assassinate Hitler. The film also stars an acclaimed cast including Kenneth Branagh, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, Carice van Houten, Thomas Kretschmann, Eddie Izzard, Christian Berkel and Terence Stamp.

A proud military man, Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg is a loyal officer who serves his country all the while hoping that someone will find a way to stop Hitler before Europe and Germany are destroyed. Realizing that time is running out, he decides that he must take action himself and joins the German resistance. Armed with a cunning strategy to use Hitler's own emergency plan, known as Operation Valkyrie, these men plot to assassinate the dictator and overthrow his Nazi government from the inside.

With everything in place, with the future of the world, the fate of millions and the lives of his wife and children hanging in the balance, von Stauffenberg is thrust from being one of many who oppose Hitler to the one who must kill Hitler himself.

John Ottman, Singer's favored lieutenant composer, provides a thrilling and suspenseful score.

United Artists opens VALKYRIE nationwide on December 26.

Varese Sarabande Catalog #: 302 066 937 2
    Release Date: 12/16/08

1. They’ll Remember You (4:20)
    2. Operation Valkyrie (5:11)
    3. What’s This Really All About? (3:44)
    4. Bunker Bust (3:45)
    5. March 13 Attempt (3:38)
    6. Midnight Waltz (2:11)
    7. A Place To Change (4:09)
    8. Seconds Lost (3:34)
    9. Getting the Signature (4:04)
    10. The Officer’s Club (2:37)
    11. The Way it Should Go (3:24)
    12. If I Were That Man/To The Berghof (2:21)
    13. I’m Sorry (3:04)
    14. Important Call (4:07)
    15. No More Indecision (2:31)
    16. Olbricht Gives the Order (3:18)
    17. Operation Terminated (1:16)
    18. Long Live Sacred Germany (6:13)

CD COVER
    http://varesesarabande.com/details.asp? … %2D937%2D2
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The film interests me, unfortunately almost anything by Ottman does not.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd drop "almost" out wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I'd drop "almost" out wink

I'd almost drop almost out. wink

I liked his theme to Lake Placid and bits of The Usual Suspects.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    The film interests me, unfortunately almost anything by Ottman does not.

I don't have any intrest in the movie. tongue

I like his Apt Pupil score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008
    I like Apt Pupil, and the movie's mesmerizing.

But I recently got the Silver Surfer Fantastic Four score, and it's really quite fun! I love the Surfer theme. Thinking of suggesting that on the "soaring music" thread.

I also adore the Cable Guy/Fantastic Island promo. Both scores are devious fun.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  2. I will be getting this new Ottman score. Now that we're out of the superhero business, it will be good to hear him back in a genre that will play more to his strengths.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    I will be getting this new Ottman score. Now that we're out of the superhero business, it will be good to hear him back in a genre that will play more to his strengths.

And Ottman/Singer collaboration is always welcome as long as it's not another Superman film.

vomit

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ottman's an odd one for me. The only decent films he scores are the Bryan Singer ones but I don't think any of his decent scores are for Singer films. This film could inspire a decent score (though maybe only if it also had a different director) - will be interesting to see if Ottman's up to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008 edited
    Why are all people that have seen PS I Love You been forced?

Are women mad?
    Oh skyte, yes they are.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    Why are all people that have seen PS I Love You been forced?

Are women mad?
    Oh skyte, yes they are.

Where are the thread police when you need them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh shite, I'm mixing up threads. dizzy
    Kazoo
  3. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  4. My review of VALKYRIE:

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/valkyriecd.htm

One cue, "They’ll Remember You" is utterly stunning. The rest... eh... not so much.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008 edited
    Hey Jon Broxton,

Exactly. I've listened to the Valkyrie score several times now and I was really captivated by the first track. I also think, that the Waltz is nice too but the rest of the score is mostly underscoring and tention building and it starts to get a tad too long there... it gets better after "I'm sorry", I think.
    "Midnight Waltz" and "They'll Remember You" were written by Ottman and Lior Rosner (according to the booklet information). So that might be the reason for these two different sounding cues between the rest of the brooding underscore... a pity!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008
    Surprisingly, I really like Valkyrie. The only Singer/Ottman score I hate is Superman: Returns. Valkyrie is aurgably his most mature work to date. You are right about the bookend cues, Jon, but the 4 tracks following the opening cue are equally stunning. Yes, the score slows down considerably during the middle potions for more suspenseful/atmospheric underscore a la John Williams' Munich, but I think the score holds together rather well and is one of Ottman's very best efforts; as I said in the Now Playing thread Valkyrie is up there with The Usual Suspects, Incognito and Apt Pupil.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    ...as I said in the Now Playing thread Valkyrie is up there with The Usual Suspects, Incognito and Apt Pupil.

And on that recommendation I made a purchase. Looking forward to hearing it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ...as I said in the Now Playing thread Valkyrie is up there with The Usual Suspects, Incognito and Apt Pupil.

And on that recommendation I made a purchase. Looking forward to hearing it.

I wish I could spend my money so confidently! shocked

Scores go through the rigorous Steven 4-6 month test before I make a purchase!
  6. Steven wrote
    I wish I could spend my money so confidently! shocked

Sometimes it works out and I hear something worth having but sometimes it goes horribly wrong and the blind purchase never sees the light of day after an initial listen!

And over the years I've learnt who to pay attention to when they make positive comments on a score.

And it's nice to have something arrive that I know very little about. Intrada's recent releases of Richard Band's Parasite and Donaggio's Body Double are two recent examples.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That is very true. I miss that, but I really can't afford to spend my money so... liberally. Too many bills to pay.

There's indeed a magic that comes with a new arrival you know little about. I remember I bought Goldsmith's Hoosiers score on a complete whim, and it was one of the most positive score experiences I've ever had!
  7. Steven wrote
    ...but I really can't afford to spend my money so... liberally. Too many bills to pay...

I probably would not have gone on a blind purchase if it was not for Christmas looming. The price of the CD can be swallowed up amongst the cost of presents for the children!!

I suppose I could wrap it up as a "surprise" present for one of the children - and then have it myself if they don't like it. Hmmm...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Kids have their uses I suppose.