• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008 edited
    Blind purchases can be fun indeed; if you can make them.

On Valkyrie, i haven't heard it yet but i am really intrigued by Erik's view. I have to say that i am usually not a fan of Ottman's work, especially when it goes into SUPERMAN: RETURNS territories which are virtually unlisteninable to me, but this seems to be really good, getting some very positive words about.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Blind purchases can be fun indeed; if you can make them.

On Valkyrie, i haven't heard it yet but i am really intrigued by Erik's view. I have to say that i am usually not a fan of Ottman's work, especially when it goes into SUPERMAN: RETURNS territories which are virtually unlisteninable to me, but this seems to be really good, getting some very positive words about.

To be fair I don't think I've heard anything by him that I'd describe as "unlistenable", just nothing that's really emotionally grabbed me, it always sounds a bit 'music by numbers'...just my opinion.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008
    Nor am I
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008
    Just wanted to chime in and add to the excitement over VALKYRIE, what's one of this year's best scores for sure. I never expected such a good score from Ottman, especially after his mediocre output of the recent years. Bravo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    A must-get, then! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, sound clips would always help to make a better overal view of the whole, but i think if you listen to the opening title alone you'll be convinced asap. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    That's great, thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm looking forward to Valkyrie
  1. I'm really amazed that everyone is so excited by VALKYRIE. Other than the stunningly good first and last cues, I thought the rest of it was unremittingly dull.
  2. I haven't heard the score yet, but I guess a question worth asking is: if you liked MUNICH's album (loops and all), will you like VALKYRIE?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    I haven't heard the score yet, but I guess a question worth asking is: if you liked MUNICH's album (loops and all), will you like VALKYRIE?

I'd say yes. The score isn't as lyrical as Williams' but I find that Ottman does more with the loops and such! A very satisfying album and one that has me wanting to return for more... a rarity for me this year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    I have to say that i am usually not a fan of Ottman's work, especially when it goes into SUPERMAN: RETURNS territories which are virtually unlisteninable to me, but this seems to be really good, getting some very positive words about.

Minus the liberal Williams quotes in the SR score, I thought Ottman's score in SR was very lyrical and well-done (certainly a lot better than his X2 and F4 scores). I don't know what you're talking about it being "virtually unlistenable" when it's very much the opposite.

Oh wait, you're a MV fan. Never mind... moon
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2008 edited
    I can see why Valkyrie isn't everyone's cup of tea; although it's a very interesting score in terms of writing, it might not be the easiest or most pleasant listening experience. It's not 'lyrical', as Erik pointed out, and there's not a lot of exciting cues in the latter half in terms of pace. Another problem might be that first and last tracks: it might give you the wrong kind of expectations, since that choir really isn't returning, nor do those wonderful strings get a lot of things to do.

Nonetheless, if you purely look at it from a writing point of view, it exceeded my expectations. Its very well done and probably one of my favorites of the year, although I'd have to point out that its been a disappointing year for me (some pretty good ones, but no score yet that truly grabbed my attention, up untill now with Che and hopefully Benjamin Button).

So, it comes down to: what do you want to get out of a score?
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    franz_conrad wrote
    I haven't heard the score yet, but I guess a question worth asking is: if you liked MUNICH's album (loops and all), will you like VALKYRIE?

I'd say no. MUNICH has some beautiful themes that give the score some strong structures. There might be too much moody underscore in MUNICH but the themes keep the score interessting. With VALKYRIE, I think, it's different. There is only one theme (indroduced beautifully during the first track and reused quite nice during the last track) and that's for me the most weighty point to criticise in VALKYRIE. I just does't keep me interessted during the middle part of the score...

What is so wrong with Superman Returns? I find this one of Ottmans best and the only score of Ottman I listend to several times...
  3. After having listened to Valkyrie I found that, after the first 3 "establishing cues" the rest is quite a difficult/challenging listen. I'd say that anyone looking for a "quick hit" score with instantly memorable cues will be in for a dissapointment.

As such I think that it is a much more mature composition from Ottman.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt C wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I have to say that i am usually not a fan of Ottman's work, especially when it goes into SUPERMAN: RETURNS territories which are virtually unlisteninable to me, but this seems to be really good, getting some very positive words about.

Minus the liberal Williams quotes in the SR score, I thought Ottman's score in SR was very lyrical and well-done (certainly a lot better than his X2 and F4 scores). I don't know what you're talking about it being "virtually unlistenable" when it's very much the opposite.

Oh wait, you're a MV fan. Never mind... moon

SR Lyrical? MMMMkay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008
    I've not yet heard it so I reserve the right to refuse opinion.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Christodoulides wrote

SR Lyrical? MMMMkay.

If you're an Ottman hater, that's fine. But what may ask is so "unlistenable" about SR? Aside from it being an Ottman score (and having Williams's themes sprinkled liberally throughout), what's so bad about it?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

SR Lyrical? MMMMkay.

If you're an Ottman hater, that's fine. But what may ask is so "unlistenable" about SR? Aside from it being an Ottman score (and having Williams's themes sprinkled liberally throughout), what's so bad about it?

Off the top of my head.

I didn't like the way Ottman re-orchestrated Williams love theme.

Awing choir during Superman heroics... vomit

The new love theme... isn't really a theme at all. It's incomplete.

The action music seems like 5 or 6 ideas all mashed into one. No real direction.

The rest seems like sonic wallpaper.

The things I liked...

The new Luthor Theme which, IMHO, works better than Williams' "March of the Villains" from the original.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008 edited
    Matt C wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

SR Lyrical? MMMMkay.

I am not an Ottman hater; stop fantasizing. But "lyrical" is the last word i'd ever attach to Superman Returns, a score so amateurish it aches, especially coming from an a-list composer and particularly when trying to stand next to the grandeur of the original. I'd take Valkyrie over it any day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

SR Lyrical? MMMMkay.

I am not an Ottman hater; stop fantasizing. But "lyrical" is the last word i'd ever attach to Superman Returns, a score so amateurish it aches, especially coming from an a-list composer and particularly when trying to stand next to the grandeur of the original. I'd take Valkyrie over it any day.

If Ottman's A-list then I'm giving up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd gladly give up with you; but this is how he's presented, at least by his agency. And look at the projects he gets assigned to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's one of life's great mysteries. I just don't know how he's done it. He should buy his agent a private jet or something because nobody else with so little talent has ever got to work on the kinds of films he has (and I'm not just restricting that to composers). He seems like a lovely man and you can feel how hard he tries... but when you're not up to it, you're not up to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    but when you're not up to it, you're not up to it.

Wise words i wholly agree with; but what do you know? you're an "armchair critic" biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    but when you're not up to it, you're not up to it.

Wise words i wholly agree with; but what do you know? you're an "armchair critic" biggrin

And a lazy one at that! What do I know? NOTHING!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I guess I'm the only one who LOVED Ottman's orchestration of the love theme in SUPERMAN RETURNS....and I'm also probably the biggest Williams nut in the room!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Though it's not a favourite of mine, I liked some stuff in SR too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I guess I'm the only one who LOVED Ottman's orchestration of the love theme in SUPERMAN RETURNS....and I'm also probably the biggest Williams nut in the room!

Nope, I'm with you.
    I really liked how Ottman went overboard to preserve and emphasise the Legend.
    Worked for me!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think Superman Returns is (easily) Ottman's best score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I thought Superman Returns was an okay score but I'm totally with Erik on the choral moments vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt