• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009
    Bregt wrote
    I think of all nominated songs, he had the best ones. There's no denying Jai Ho was fun! wink

bhangra
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Got back this afternoon from Gent (with a 2 hour delay - every year the same!) and it was wonderful. Unfortunately not the same kind of line-up as last years (where's Arnold? Iglesias? Jones? Any other of the regulars?), but Desplat was nice, even though he only wanted to sign just one of my booklets. The concert was beautiful - before the break I only enjoyed American Gangster, but after it was lovely. I still don't care for Cheri (sorry) but the others were gorgeous, and a joy to see Desplat conducting, like Bregt already said. And it was the first time The Painted Veil got me emotionally. Birth and Girl With a Pearl Earring were definite highlights. Not boring at all (Thomas; Mario: tsss) and a good variation in styles to keep it from monotonous. A great representation, or introduction, into his scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas thought Girl with a pearl earring was boring?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009
    Depends on the girl I guess.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Girl who likes pearl necklace was more appetising prospect is my guess biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Christodoulides wrote

No, that one was really nice

I was asleep though during The Painted Veil and Lust Caution sleep
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh-oh
  2. trust me, they played the most boring stuff from Lust Caution, I remembered far better stuff from that score
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    They played The Angel from that score! shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas was obviously looking at the chicks or thinking of Tyler Bates' music, there's no other explanation.
  3. Bregt wrote

you said they played 3 notes from that theme and that they deleted the best part of it, so don't start defending it wink

Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas was obviously looking at the chicks or thinking of Tyler Bates' music, there's no other explanation.

I was immensely surprised about the quality of The Girl with a Pearl Earing, but I hated that it was all dramatic (save one sublime cue), considering his diverse filmograpy, I wanted more diverse material, a bit more thriller, a bit more action

That's what I hated about it the most
  4. What kind of a world is this, where Thomas gets to go to an Alexandre Desplat concert, and I do not? Not a fair one, no, not a fair one at all. rolleyes
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Bregt wrote

you said they played 3 notes from that theme and that they deleted the best part of it, so don't start defending it wink

No no. I like Angel, especially the moment in which the Wong Chi Chai (?) theme makes a glorious but short appearance. I'd preferred the whole main theme, from track 24.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    What kind of a world is this, where Thomas gets to go to an Alexandre Desplat concert, and I do not? Not a fair one, no, not a fair one at all. rolleyes

And he doesn't even like it!? smile
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    What kind of a world is this, where Thomas gets to go to an Alexandre Desplat concert, and I do not? Not a fair one, no, not a fair one at all. rolleyes

And he doesn't even like it!? smile

Franz, I would have offered my ticket in a flash cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Imagine if Bates and Wanker got together cheesy
  6. They don't have to. I mean, Bates IS a wanker anyway!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    They don't have to. I mean, Bates IS a wanker anyway!

biggrin biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote

applause beer
  7. PawelStroinski wrote

glad you said it, and not I wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009 edited
    Yes, the atmosphere from the earlier editions was back! Next year is the 10th edition, and that might be massive. I encourage everyone from around Belgium to take notice, and join the festival next year. This year's edition was much smoother (it was also aired live, so it had to be) than usual, the awards ceremony kept to a minimum, and focusing on the concert.

Hamlish's short concert displayed his music for Sophie's Choice, The Way we Were and the very upbeat A Chorus Line. Marvin performed on piano, but during the latter, he went to Dirk Brossé (the conductor) and they did some short of handshake, and then Marvin took the conducting role for the piece. Clearly a show element that fitted the music of that movie. Lots of fun seeing him conducting and pointing at the instrument that had a solo or short role.

Marc Streitenfeld's little concert only contained music from American Gangster and Body of Lies. I like both scores, though I prefer the latter. Surprisingly, it was American Gangster that did receive a suite of 7 or 8 minutes, and I have to say, it was really good! It centred around the quirky theme, with performances on three guitars and muted trumpet. For Body of Lies he himself performed on the electric guitar but the suite was a bit a of let down. Next year's Discovery of the Year, Nico Muhly, will be present for a concert.

Obviously, the Desplat part was the highlight of the evening. A glorious selection from Girl with a Pearl Earring (holy!), The Painted Veil, Birth (olalalala!), Lust, Caution (The Angel!), The Golden Compass (Sky Ferry), Chéri, Un Héros très Discret (his first score for an Audiard film), The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (beautiful, but for me, unbelievably overrated) and Coco Avant Chanel. Together somewhat an hour of Desplat goodness.

He conducted the orchestra himself, a magnificent performance btw, especially for Un Héros, which was just spectacular (and much more large scale than the score release) and Birth. For Cheri, I saw the light for the score, since you could see the score switching between solo's, from violin to cello, nice to see and hear! Like I mentioned before, seeing his music played by the orchestra adds so much more to his attention for details. t's like every musician had an other partiture. Crazy! His style of conducting is also very very passionate. He started jumping when reaching the finale of Un Héros.

For all of you who were not here, there will probably a cd release next year of the concert (not necessarily live recordings though, but I'd love to have the Un Héros suite). Also, shame on you!

I bought the three cd's from the festival (Armstrong, Danna and Badalamenti). I'll comment on those later.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Thanks for the round-up you guys! That Desplat concert sounds fantastic! You lucky @$##%^^

Where are the pics you guys took? smile

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Rahman got another award btw?

he got one award yes, we couldn't understand a word he was saying

Not surprising. He normally speaks very softly. So no one heard him eh?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Pictures coming soon! I have some, a producer I met at the seminary took some of the seminary and the interview, and we're expecting one from Andrew Lockington too. I'll post a media page later this month when everything is gathered. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Bregt. BODY OF LIES is VERY hard to re-create live.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes, that must be one of the reasons. It wasn't bad, but they didn't select the best moments (which probably are the hardest then). But American Gangster was really cool to see though.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Unlike the score itself in the movie and on CD then, eh? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Aww, don't be so hard on it. I love Frank Lucas' theme, and, eh... well... alright, just that theme. But it was indeed very cool to see it live!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009
    I enjoyed it enormously. It passed as quick as a flash, pfiw, very smooth indeed. If they had picked a little more up-tempo Desplat they could have easily added another half hour or more to the concert. I have thought that the style of the event and the audience is maybe more suited with these softer score selections, but parts of Largo Winch, or the haunting boy-solo from Hostage would not have been out of place. (Wich reminds me that I will soon compile some sort of Largo Winch suite from the soundtrack) On the other hand, considering the succesful concerts with Powell and HG Williams, or simply the chills that I got this year from "Sky Ferry", I would also not mind a little more action material. But wow! Griets theme, Birth prologue (the man with the triangle had a very funny boring job there, going ping ping ping ping hahaha), The Angel, The Queen, man, that was beau-ti-ful! Maybe I have forgotten this from the past editions, but, for my ears, this really is an excellent orchestra. Their experience and elegance, combined with the same qualities and the subtility in Desplat's music, was nearly magical. And sometimes for the first time, I really connected with these themes too, seeing now how they are composed, with all the different layers and details. Ping ping ping. Lovely stuff.

Composer of the year: Desplat. Fine, give this man an oscar.
    Score of the year: TCCOBButton. Is this for "Best score"? (Oh well, it worked very well in the film) Or for "Best Soundtrack"? (In that case: No way!) Hey, aren't they calling it "the soundtrack awards" How come they don't give a "best soundtrack" (release) award or something?.
    Song: Jai Ho. Liked the song when I did not yet heard the version with the pussycat girls.
    Discovery of the year: Nico Muhly. Not yet heard from him.

Presentation was a lot better too. dizzy The editing of film- and past event-clips was done very well (I somehow felt the presence of Jarre wave ). The food: orgastic. And the company: great. My god I cannot imagine at first actually being not sure to go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    this really is an excellent orchestra

It is, it was a very good performance - yet I sometimes have doubts about the consistency of the brass section; they didn't seem able to handle the more difficult Williams sections last year for instance. Still, who am I to criticise - and this year especially was really very good, and I was impressed with how they handled that Desplat sound - very delicate and precise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So much excellent descriptions here, thanks people, really appreciate the details for all of us who couldn't make it!