• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    All homosexuals should die.

Friggin america again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOrz5k0j … _embedded#

Hilarious stupidity, but also annoying because it affects others (like the pickets at the funerals). Amazing to see how the disturbed parents brainwash their kids. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011 edited
    Dammit D. It's not only in America where this sort of shit happens! There's intolerance and wackos all over this world so I really wish you would stop lumping all American's into this sort of trash with your comments.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011
    Hardly happening anywhere else, in this degree.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2011 edited
    Really, D? Try Mauritania, parts of Nigeria, Sudan, Somalia, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, or Afghanistan, where homosexuality can still be punishable by DEATH, by law.

Or Uganda and Malawi, where they still lynch gay people in the streets.

Or Pakistan, where you can be jailed for LIFE. Or Gambia, or Kenya, or Antigua, or Barbados, or Dominica, or Grenada, or Jamaica, or St Kitts, or Trinidad, or Guyana, or Kuwait, or Brunei, or Burma, or Malaysia, or parts of *Cyprus* where you can still be jailed for more than 10 years.

Or the United States, where it is legal in all 50 states, and gay marriage is legally recognized in 19 states, despite the frothing protestations of a few idiots. Have a bit of perspective.
  1. popcorn
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I assume D was talking about the western world. He is right in that the double standards are more visible there in that respect. Wild religious and fanatic people are not unique to the US, of course (we got a taste of that ourselves in our own peaceful country earlier this summer, for example!), but it pops up with such regular intervals in the socalled God-blessed America. All those cult things.

The great contrasts and deep divisions are what make the US so fascinating to us outsiders, but also quite annoying at times. How can the same country that gave us Spielberg, Vonnegut and Franklin also have death penalty, global car pollution and Adam Sandler? Sickly obese MacDonald's junkies on one hand and superficial health freak bodybuilders on the other? Every country has a little bit of everything, but I can't think of any other country in the western world where the chasm is so vast as in the US.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The problem with viewing it from the outside is that the wild religious and fanatic people make up probably less than 1% of the population, but get a much larger percentage of "air time" for their stupidity purely because they are SO fanatical and depraved, which makes their influence seem bigger than it actually is.

The vast majority of Americans I have met since I moved here are genuine, nice, down-to-earth folks just getting on with their lives and not spreading hate anywhere or trying to deny anyone anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2011
    Jon Broxton wrote
    The problem with viewing it from the outside is that the wild religious and fanatic people make up probably less than 1% of the population, but get a much larger percentage of "air time" for their stupidity purely because they are SO fanatical and depraved, which makes their influence seem bigger than it actually is.

The vast majority of Americans I have met since I moved here are genuine, nice, down-to-earth folks just getting on with their lives and not spreading hate anywhere or trying to deny anyone anything.

smile smile smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Jon Broxton wrote

That's great.
    Now if only actual decision makers and role models would follow suit.
    Maybe it would help if said vast majority would bother to register to vote?

Seriously, I'm with Thor on this one.
    America, whether one likes it or not, is a country of massive contradictions and excesses....and massive power.
    It's not odd that it's continuously under a magnifying glass. That's what you get when you get what you wish (in this case: to lead the western world).

In so many ways it's still such a young country, with so many growing pains still!
    This is in many ways a good thing as it stimulates continuous growth and adaptibility in a continuous search for identity.
    And the excesses -far greater than you'd find in western Europe- are part of that.
    And at times they are risible. Or fearsome.
    It's just how it is.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Voter registration is not one of our strong suits.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Those phenomena are indeed more excessive in the US, i am talking right wing christian fanatic lunatics, not just gay bashers. Of course i was talking about the Western, supposedly-civilized world where US has the lead in this sadly. And where in Cyprus do you get jailed for being gay? Where did you read this. confused

Funny that the reactions come from 2 non-americans too wink
  3. Christodoulides wroteAnd where in Cyprus do you get jailed for being gay? Where did you read this. confused

http://old.ilga.org/Statehomophobia/ILG … a_2010.pdf

Page 31.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    All countries have their idiots and fanatics. They do seem much more apparent in the US than the rest of the western world though. I'm not sure why. Whether the US truly have more people on the extremes or whether these people simply get more attention I don't know. Perhaps it's to do with an increased focus on individualism in the US. Here in DK you'd be embarrassed if you stepped too far out of line, while in the US you're more likely to proudly declare your beliefs no matter where on the sanity spectrum they are.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, way to go Jon.

EUROPE .................................................................................................................................... 31
    Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (unrecognised state)............................... 31

If you consider the illegal occupied part of Cyprus by Turkey which is worldwide unrecognized, as valid, then i rest my case. If you see what's written for Cyprus, the one and legal country, you'll see our laws are the exact opposite of what you're trying to prove here. Plus we aren't discussing where it's legal or not, but where people are radical and close-minded as above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Christodoulides wroteAnd where in Cyprus do you get jailed for being gay? Where did you read this. confused

http://old.ilga.org/Statehomophobia/ILG … a_2010.pdf

Page 31.

Jon is really an American now.
    Tom
  4. Christodoulides wrote

Well, I'm an American and I don't think LGBT individuals should die. Your constant attempts to make America look like a villain get old, D.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And in this country they don't
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    christopher wrote
    Well, I'm an American and I don't think LGBT individuals should die. Your constant attempts to make America look like a villain get old, D.

Yet everyone in the world knows the (deeply troubled and disturbed) Phelps gang.
    ....but it can't be denied anyone would be hard pressed coming up with a similar Dutch or Greek example.

I'm sure there are people of similar mind(less)set in either country...yet they garner no interest whatsoever.
    Are they just less vocal? Are Americans more interested in these absolute deviances from the norm?
    Are they more prevalent in the US?

You tell me.
    I can only observe.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. I think Thor's example of greater extremes is a valid point. Mostly I think we just have a LOT more people. We have over 300 million people in this country. How does Denmark or Greece compare? With that many more people, you're bound to get more wackos.
  6. This may not add much to the discussion but I can't help but wonder if the group were Muslim rather than extreme Christian and they talked in the same language as the Christians do then people/Government would be a bit more proactive in their response?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't make the videos or the media my friend, i just stumble upon them. If i find anything similar from other countries i'll also share in disgust.

"Constant attempts to make america the villain". Ridiculous. Also the fact that the point against me was based on the illegal, unrecognized occupied half of Cyprus by Turkey.

I have relatives in the US, i watch american movies, listen to american music, have american computers (Well some of them), eat (some) american food. Etc. My point is no anti-american, it's anti-stupidity. If in the western world it happens to be concentrated largely in the US in extreme and radical forms, it's not my fault; don't take it personally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm more worried about this! shocked

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You got me shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't get it?

confused

Surely all men die?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah but if they like dick they obviously rot in steamy hell.

On another note, this is a pretty nasty thing to do:

http://artoftrolling.memebase.com/2011/ … ldren-cry/

Not funny. If you haven't watched the originals video, DON'T. I had the misfortune to fall into that trap a couple of years back and i almost got a heart attack, and i wasn't even a child. I know it's supposed to be funny? It's not, clearly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Not funny. If you haven't watched the originals video, DON'T. I had the misfortune to fall into that trap a couple of years back and i almost got a heart attack, and i wasn't even a child. I know it's supposed to be funny? It's not, clearly.

Well, I think it's funny - had it done to me a few times and scared the bajesus out of me... but I was able to laugh about it a few moments later - but to do this to a child or toddler is just not cool. The poor little girl at the 44 second mark is going to be traumatized for a very, very long time. That cry is genuine and her dumb ass parents don't console her... they just keep filming. I hope the parents are prepared for the endless night terrors she's going to have. Ignorant assholes!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm more worried about this! shocked

Cripes! You're looking a bit rough these days Steven.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    This may not add much to the discussion but I can't help but wonder if the group were Muslim rather than extreme Christian and they talked in the same language as the Christians do then people/Government would be a bit more proactive in their response?

Well, it doesn't seem that way in the UK, freedom of speech allows extremists to spout hatred of the country they were born in/live in/emigrated to demanding medieval punishments such as beheadings for infidels ( even if they're cartoonists ), flag burning, poppy burning ( in front of old soldiers who fought in a REAL war for freedom ), sharia law and the whole schbang!

We have very real and very dangerous fruit loops in our midst.

On the plus side, having freedom of speech allows us to see these mad men openly which is a better alternative to forcing them underground.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

I dunno, D.
    That actually sounds kinda hot... wink

Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    This may not add much to the discussion but I can't help but wonder if the group were Muslim rather than extreme Christian and they talked in the same language as the Christians do then people/Government would be a bit more proactive in their response?

Well, it doesn't seem that way in the UK, freedom of speech allows extremists to spout hatred of the country they were born in/live in/emigrated to demanding medieval punishments such as beheadings for infidels ( even if they're cartoonists ), flag burning, poppy burning ( in front of old soldiers who fought in a REAL war for freedom ), sharia law and the whole schbang!

We have very real and very dangerous fruit loops in our midst.

On the plus side, having freedom of speech allows us to see these mad men openly which is a better alternative to forcing them underground.

I've always been of a mind that freedom of speech most certainly is not absolute, but is bound by law (which makes it an extremely relative concept*)). It's anathema to me that certain religious extremists can get away with openly preaching hatred, violence and the complete abolition of human rights while certain political extremists are persecuted for doing the exact same thing.

If you speak out for killing Jews I don't give a damn what your background is, the law should come down on you like a ton of bricks. Each and every time. Even if there can't be a proper conviction, it sends the immediate and clear message that the system we all are supposed to subscribe to will not accept these extremities.

And if you have a problem with that system you are very free to try and change it through the political process (the only proper way). Or fuck the hell off.

*) Problem there of course is that restrictive law systems (like in many Islamic countries) could easily use that as an excuse to legitimise restricting freedom of speech ( it "being against the law"). But that, again to my mind, brings the discussion in the exact correct ball park: namely that of legality, morality and justice of a certain law (system) ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote

I've gone into that trap a few times too, and I guess it's a kinda funny prank for adults. I've learned my lesson. But like you, I think it's sick to do this to a young one.
    I am extremely serious.