• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012
    Very good film if you haven't.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I did. I liked the film. I liked the deadpan review even better:
    this was a bold early attempt by Eastwood to play against type. It was not a hit
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A shame really. American cinema was arguably never better than it was in the early to mid 1970's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, most of the failure must be due to the studio's lack of insight in how to market the film: Clint was this massive western action hero, and they just had no idea how to identify this film....let alone how to promote it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    A shame really. American cinema was arguably never better than it was in the early to mid 1970's.

I would expand that to include the late 60's as well. American films imported lots of interesting features from European arthouse in that era, as well as being more 'gritty' in subject matter and style.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'd include the better part of the fifties too.
    And the forties.
    Thirties were nothing to sneeze at either.
    Twenties were fabulous!
    Some great stuff got made in the 1910s.
    Erm...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, "The New Hollywood" is a fairly established term in film theory/history, running from approximately 1967-1975 (the rise of the movie brats, the experimental features, the industrial parameters that caused them etc.). Then, with JAWS and the summer blockbuster mentality, there's a return to a more classical paradigm.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012 edited
    Define classical! Some of Cecil B. Demille's (and the other true pioneers of cinematography) work was decidedly out of the box!

EDIT: this was rhetorical, by the way. smile Not a prelude to an argument!
    I only wanted to bring to light that, depending on your own definition of "finest", American cinema has had incredible, ground breaking work to offer in any decade you'd care to look at!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Define classical! Some of Cecil B. Demille's (and the other true pioneers of cinematography) work was decidedly out of the box!

EDIT: this was rhetorical, by the way. smile Not a prelude to an argument!
    I only wanted to bring to light that, depending on your own definition of "finest", American cinema has had incredible, ground breaking work to offer in any decade you'd care to look at!

It has, of course. But the advantage of looking at things in retrospect, is that you can define certain periods where certain stylistic features are more prevalent (as well as the industrial organization that informs them).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Well, "The New Hollywood" is a fairly established term in film theory/history, running from approximately 1967-1975 (the rise of the movie brats, the experimental features, the industrial parameters that caused them etc.). Then, with JAWS and the summer blockbuster mentality, there's a return to a more classical paradigm.

A better explanation than mine and whooly agreed with, I'd totally forgotten the likes of Bonnie & Clyde, Midnight Cowboy etc were 60's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2012
    Belongs in a "Just plain weird" category, but this will do.

Catcopter, WTF?

Peter
  1. plindboe wrote

Catcopter, WTF?

Peter

wtf?

How on earth is this a tribute?
    Then again, people stuff their deceased pets and put them in the living room, it's basically the same thing
    Weird though, and for me fucking ridiculous
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2012
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    plindboe wrote

Catcopter, WTF?

Peter

wtf?

Then again, people stuff their deceased pets and put them in the living room, it's basically the same thing

.....and quite sick.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Well, in Belgium a student is supposedly using dead cat's in her art project.
    you can read about it here

Sorry, in Dutch only, but the internationel members can run the page through Google translate or something, I'm sure.
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012
    Katinka Simonse, Bart Jansen, Yann Bronder and all those other fucks who think the label 'art' is nothing much more a garantueed immunity from any moral or social code or convention, are evidently too thick to realise that their "statement" is NOT a social one (as any failed artist generally proclaims his work to be), but, by its very execution an EGO statement.

There is NO social relevance, or challenging concept.
    There is no meaningful statement.
    At best, it gives us an insight in exactly how far one individual is willing to go to defy social convention and good taste. But then the same could be said of *any* serial killer...

At the end of the day, things like these come much closer to a tendency towards psychological disorders (sociopathology specifically) than to art.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Agreed on Martijn's statement. More and more, 'modern art' is taking on forms that are getting far removed from any kind of art.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    wtf?

.....and quite sick.

Indeed, guys. It's not that I care about the dignity of the cat, because the cat wouldn't have cared about this human concept in the first place. I just find it weird how you can have loved or cared for another living being, and when it has died, make a circus and a joke out of its carcass. Just strikes me as very foreign and unemotional thinking.

Skating_Lientje wrote
    Well, in Belgium a student is supposedly using dead cat's in her art project.
    you can read about it here

Sorry, in Dutch only, but the internationel members can run the page through Google translate or something, I'm sure.

Wow (...assuming I translated it correctly). If she can't see the difference between killing animals for art/pleasure and killing animals to prevent disease, there's something wrong with her. I'd also say that cats are more worth than rats, by having bigger and more complex brains and therefore a wider potential range of experience. That said, there is some validity in criticizing how we tend to value certain animals more just because they look cute, but she lost the argument way before even coming to this point.

Anyway, that she finds the reactions shocking shows that she's not quite with it. Should be obvious to anyone that killing kittens for pleasure would provoke strong reactions.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's a "She"?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Peter,

You got the jist of it.
    I guess we should try to not give to much attention to these people. As such, hopefully they will stop.
    But yeah, I agree with Martijn: it's much more abotu their ego than about 'art' or social statements.

That being said, artist we consider the best of the best nowadays were usually dissed during the time they were alive. their art wasn't considered art, it was only afetrwards valued for what it is.

I find it difficult to draw the line.

But once it incorporates cruelty to animals, people, ... I know it has crossed the line.
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't find it difficult to draw the line at all.
    When it incorporates intentional cruelty, it ceases to be art.
    (Whatever it becomes then may be food for thought for judicials, police, psychologists and sociologists and in that vein may still prove interesting as a social or cultural phenomenon -not unlike, say, gladiator fighting or coprophagy, but *art* it is not)

This automatically invalidates Katinka's and Yann's work, which don't even warrant a glancing discussion in that field, in my opinion.

Bart's doesn't fall under this category, but my opinion remains his catcopter it is nothing so much as an odd ego act, without any further significance or value, and therefore cannot be considered art.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One word sums it up...

SHIT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    She is immediate need of some meat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    We've had a somewhat similar situation in Norway, where a painter used the hand of a dead man as his paintbrush. Also stirred up quite a lot of controversy. I think it was interesting, in a way.

Regarding this cat thing, however, I'm not so sure.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    We've had a somewhat similar situation in Norway, where a painter used the hand of a dead man as his paintbrush. Also stirred up quite a lot of controversy. I think it was interesting, in a way.

Regarding this cat thing, however, I'm not so sure.

The dead hand made news here too.

The catcopter is very impracticable, perhaps mice would like to ride it?
  4. *Introducting...

BronyCon

Yes, where grown men who haven't moved out of their parent's basements or ever kissed a girl -- oh that right, it's only funny when it's in reference to Trekkies -- meet with other grown 40 year-old men, and some women and children, to dress like Rainbow Brite, with pictures of cartoon ponies, come to meet to ... who knows.

Is it just as ridiculous as that groupe of men (and some women) who dress up as Ned Flanders, for the Ned Flanders Appreciation Society, and meet once a mont or year (to clear answer on that) over in England? No. It's worse.

The horror. The horror.

* = this post not approved by at least one FSM member.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2012
    justin boggan wrote
    *Introducting...

BronyCon

Yes, where grown men who haven't moved out of their parent's basements or ever kissed a girl -- oh that right, it's only funny when it's in reference to Trekkies -- meet with other grown 40 year-old men, and some women and children, to dress like Rainbow Brite, with pictures of cartoon ponies, come to meet to ... who knows.

Is it just as ridiculous as that groupe of men (and some women) who dress up as Ned Flanders, for the Ned Flanders Appreciation Society, and meet once a mont or year (to clear answer on that) over in England? No. It's worse.

The horror. The horror.

* = this post not approved by at least one FSM member.

Yeah, I noticed that whole thing over at FSM. It's a bizarre and somewhat disturbing phenomenon, but still very fascinating. Sociologically speaking.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2012
    Am I the only one who finds some delicious (and a little disturbing) irony in posting this on a soundtrack collectors' internet forum?
  5. Wait... are we geeks? I thought this hobby of ours was cool? shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2012
    Martijn wrote
    Am I the only one who finds some delicious (and a little disturbing) irony in posting this on a soundtrack collectors' internet forum?

A little bit, sure. But still an ocean of difference. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2012
    Dark, sweaty film-music blessed basements with big hairy men.