• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    Dark, sweaty film-music blessed basements with big hairy men.

Now, now D, no need to air your fantasies on this board biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Dark, sweaty film-music blessed basements with big hairy men.

Now, now D, no need to air your fantasies on this board biggrin

Dark basements? Will there also be hoses and lotion in baskets involved?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2012
    Depends on the music played in the background. Kinda like a dirty 8mm for film score geeks.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012
    http://9gag.com/gag/4916673
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012
    CRIKEY! vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012
    Kill them with fire, both mothers and also daughters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012
    BobdH wrote
    Agreed on Martijn's statement. More and more, 'modern art' is taking on forms that are getting far removed from any kind of art.

I agree.

Couple of weeks ago I took my daughter to De Pont - museum of contemporary art.
    I said "Let's go laugh at some modern art".

My idea was to go there and indeed laugh at some modern art but also to see some nice things hopefully... we didn't see any nice things. We did laugh a lot, but in a depressed sort of way, really...

Here you can see some of the ridiculous stuff called art:
    http://www.depont.nl/en/

What bothers me is first of all the load of bullshit that goes with it, the so called 'meaning', but most of all: craftsmanship has become totally irrelevant.

I had art in high school, so I created things like that myself. I always enjoyed the process, having an idea, work ideas out, start making sketches and try materials and that way build up the final 'piece of art'. It was totally fun to do. But I would be ashamed if it would end up in a museum and people came there to look at it with a quasi-intellectual attitude and the piece being worth loads of money or artistic value or anything... Not only did we laugh at the art itself, but we've seen some visitors taking it all way too seriously as well!

For the Dutchies, this is art: a song by Katinka Polderman about art.
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ridiculous stuff called art. punk I am very proud to know you dear Bregje smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012 edited
    One bit looked like "bodies" on an autopsy slab, what was that about? Looked interesting to me.
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    I am absolutely on both sides of the art debate. On one hand, I prefer things with craftsmanship. I listen to noise, but noise the comes out of classical rather than out of jazz. I like abstract art, but things like Piet Mondrian leave me cold, and Andy Warhol just pisses me off (I didn't have that reaction until going to the Warhol museum. If you have a mild distaste or apathy towards his work, I wouldn't recommend going. Oddly enough, I currently work two doors down from it). I've seen some crappy art where the explained meaning had little to do with what was presented.

But on the other hand, I've seen things that stirred something inside, meaning things to me that the artist may never have intended. I've had moments where I suddenly "get something" that I didn't, or had no interest in. Mark Rothko, for example. Hated his stuff. Saw it in books and in person, didn't care for it. Then I went to the Rothko Chapel in Houston, TX. Looked at the art, read some of the pamphlets, and all of a sudden I got it. There's something to be said for context.

I'm with you...I'll laugh at bad art. I'll laugh at people taking it too seriously. Hell, I'll even laugh at myself doing those same things. But I know that everyone reacts to things differently. Some people can emotionally connect to something that I can't. And that's good. Even the worst art can connect with someone, and that's what art is for. I fully believe in distinguishing between taste and quality. When going to a museum, particularly of modern art, you expect quality, but perhaps in this case, it's just the curator's taste.

Or they're just a pretentious bunch of wankers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012 edited
    JoshL wrote
    it's just the curator's taste.

Or they're just a pretentious bunch of wankers!

Worst case scenario: it's both.
    Happens a lot in The Netherlands and there's been quite the debate raging about (rather well paid) curators who used (rather extensive) public funds to acquire and collate something that was far closer to personal hobbyism than to making art generally available and accessible.

But of course the very act of daring to question said curators' actions and taste is easily misconstrued (i.e. twisted) into an attack on art itself. So many get away with (artistic) murder.

It's the one good thing I see in the current frenzy of cutting government subsidies for art.
    It really forces people who have become FAR too complacent in their ivory towers to reconsider and reevaluate priorities. And hopefully it'll lead to some true inventive, smart, artistic creativity.
    I'll pay to see that.
    As ever.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012
    Good posts you both. Sometimes it's not easy for me to have an opinion like that, because then I think 'hm, my criticism is only for what I don't like and not what I like. Other people may like the stuff that I think is crap...'
    Taste and subjectivity makes these things difficult.

I've tried to define art for myself, again after going to the museum. But I didn't succeed. Does it have to be beautiful? Not necessarily. Moving? Yes. But repulsion is an emotion too and estrangement and everything. Does it have to state or mean anything? Not necessarily. I love art that is simply esthetically beautiful. Does it need craftsmanship? I'm inclined to say yes. But there are many original and thoughtprovoking ideas that are so simple, anyone can do it and it's still art, so I really don't know how to define it. I better give up and look at each piece alone and then judge.

Oh, speaking of judging: another thing that confuses me is reading about what the artist meant with the piece. Sometimes I think it should be appreciated just by looking at it (or listening, when it's music) and then make up your own mind. If you have to read about it first to appreciate it doesn't make sense. But on the other hand, it can really help appreciate art, to know the ideas behind it... confusing.

One example of what I mean by total lack of craftmanship I saw at the museum was for instance this one.
    And I didn't bother 'to read what it means'. How does something like this end up in a museum?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    One bit looked like "bodies" on an autopsy slab, what was that about? Looked interesting to me.

Yep, that's the exhibition now. Has something to do with suffering...

The artist is good with wax and epoxy though... If I could do that I'd want to make (alien) movie props or bodies for CSI or Bones or something.
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Artists crapists.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Artists crapists.

They're in film music too, kings new clothes and all that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yep, that's the exhibition now. Has something to do with suffering...

The artist is good with wax and epoxy though... If I could do that I'd want to make (alien) movie props or bodies for CSI or Bones or something.
    wink

indeedy! There's genuine ability in that work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012
    Most ridiculous news of the day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19270060
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    Most ridiculous news of the day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19270060

Not at all D, a different story and Herzog directing, it's not a remake of a classic film of which any director would be on to a hiding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I learned after i posted but still the casting is very bad.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What, because of Pattinson?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That and the initial thought of a total remake of the movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I wouldn't hold anything against him just because he's in the Twilight films ( of which I've watched NONE ), he seems a decent actor and I can see him in the Lawrence role.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Any other film i've seen by him was as terrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2012
    Don't want to live on this planet anymore. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeD_RztXeko
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2012
    Gotta love this judge! beer punk

"Pavement driver ordered to wear 'idiot' sign in Cleveland"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20252212
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2012
    Well, you attract those guys when you are as stupid, I think. They can obviously tell. Epic face-palm-mt

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=596_1352460138
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A picture I did...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb … mp;theater
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2012 edited
    Rarely have I read such foolishness.

Thomas Newman is a sinister individual...

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts … ;archive=0
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

My heart actually goes out to him! He sounds a bit lonely. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2012

I still can't see it...

As for your other post, boy it reminded me once again how much fsm sucks.