• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009
    Today it's been five years since Jerry Goldsmith passed away. Five years of emptiness. God, I miss him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    uhm

*emptiness*?
    I wouldn't say that at all.
    Just "No-Goldsmithness".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Me too. He was a legendary composer.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    RIP, maestro shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009 edited
    I can still hear his brilliance any time I want to.

Yes! It is sad that Goldsmith died ( and others too, particularly the premature deaths of Poledouris and Kamen ) and that we'll never get a brand new score from him but life goes on.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I can still hear his brilliance any time I want to.

Yes! It is sad that Goldsmith died ( and others too, particularly the premature deaths of Poledouris and Kamen ) and that we'll never get a brand new score from him but life goes on.

It does indeed. And to our benefit, there's a ton of "new music" (meaning old treasures) continually ressurected, most recently with the FSM release of a TV score I hadn't even heard of!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Yeah, life goes on. You're harsh here.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, life goes on. You're harsh here.

I don't know about that. He's one of my favourites, it's sad that he died, but I really can't invest any more emotions into it than that, especially not now, 5 years later. It's not like it's close family or anything.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. It was two or three years after his death when I discovered Rudy. I had never seen the movie nor heard the score, so it was like one hidden Goldsmith´s treasure to me that suddenly got found. To listen to one last, great score of the maestro as if it was new was a gift I felt blessed to get, and what a gift it was.
  3. The past year I've heard some nice Goldsmiths I was unfamiliar with, either through new releases of old material, or just plain ignored / forgotten ones.

If they keep this up, we'll have another 5 years (or many more) of Goldsmithness to content ourselves with... Though he isn't with us anymore, he still is in a manner of speaking, just put on a CD and bam: there's the genius!!! That's the thing with celebrated artists in this mortal world, what they leave behind becomes immortal for all time.

cough... MJ... cough wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009
    Folks, I don't think there has been anything that has come close to Goldsmith's finest works in the past five years - so in terms of that kind of genius, this has been five years of emptiness...

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009 edited
    moviescore wrote
    Folks, I don't think there has been anything that has come close to Goldsmith's finest works in the past five years - so in terms of that kind of genius, this has been five years of emptiness...

mc

I disagree with you. What about Memoirs of a Geisha? Don't you think this is one of the finest works in the past five years? And also i say The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons. I think you should not make comparisons among composers. Each composers posses unique talent. I do admire Goldsmith but i disagree with you above statement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Some are going to get a bit crazy when you read your da vinci code / angels and demons references there wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Anybody who says "Zimmer" in this thread, as an example, should be banned, castrated, flogged, and Tarred 'n' feathered.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Why? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    justin boggan wrote
    Anybody who says "Zimmer" in this thread, as an example, should be banned, castrated, flogged, and Tarred 'n' feathered.

lol
  5. Sunil wrote
    Why? confused

Something to do. moon
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    justin boggan wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Why? confused

Something to do. moon

confused
  6. At this point, I don't think I can help you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Ok! I knew this would happen. moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    moviescore wrote
    this has been five years of emptiness...

Bit... melodramatic?
  7. LSH wrote
    moviescore wrote

Bit... melodramatic?

Still true though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Rather exaggerated I think. We've had fantastic scores even without him. Calling all this emptiness is rude towards the current and/or new generation.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Rather exaggerated I think. We've had fantastic scores even without him. Calling all this emptiness is rude towards the current and/or new generation.

I agree. There are very, very bright young composers out there working their asses of although i am sure the point Mikael was trying to make was entirely different than how it came out, esp. for those who know him and his work. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LSH wrote
    moviescore wrote

Bit... melodramatic?

It is to me and you, but it not up to us to "judge" someone's else's feelings on the subject. If moonie feels there's been an "emptiness" since his departure, then that's his prerogative.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You mean Mikael? wink
  8. Bregt wrote

And I find many of the new generation rude toward the generations passed of film music. Now we are equal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    justin boggan wrote
    Bregt wrote

And I find many of the new generation rude toward the generations passed of film music. Now we are equal.

How so?
  9. On the way explained.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You're talking about Sunil's post above?