• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008
    I know enough to know I have better things to do with my time than spend another (subjective) sixteen hours with Kevin "whining brooding look-it-me-doing-Clint-with-a-heart" Costner. vomit

Boring doesn't even come close to describing this utterly failed experiment. It has noting whatever to add to anything, there's no point AND it isn't entertaining. Three strikes. You're out.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And here's the piece as heard in the episode Doomsday (at ~1:50): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30fB4Rs_peA

You are a mean and cruel person. Now I´m crying again, bastard. tongue

kiss

wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008
    3:10 to Yuma

Great film! Crowe and Bale certainly play off each other extremely well, more than enough to really care about the characters. Crowe was made for Westerns!

punk

(Oh, and the score... meh. Not my cup of tea really.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Great film! Crowe and Bale certainly play off each other extremely well, more than enough to really care about the characters. Crowe was made for Westerns!

punk

I'd like to see this remake too.

What was wrong with the score?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

what was wrong with the score?

Nothing; it just wasn't the Brit-man's cup of tea, obviously biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

punk

Do, it's a great film.

It's a Morricone-type score, go figure!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

punk

Do, it's a great film.

It's a Morricone-type score, go figure!

EXCELLENT! punk cool

And I will see the film, is it released on DVD yet?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yup, just released yesterday. I soooo wanted to buy the BluRay version... if only I had a BluRay player. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Yup, just released yesterday. I soooo wanted to buy the BluRay version... if only I had a BluRay player. slant

Cheers! I'll be renting that! smile

The film I'm most looking forward to seeing at the moment ( at the Cinema ) is No Country For Old Men which has had such great reviews plus I'm a big fan of the Coen's work. Anyone seen this yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Cheers! I'll be renting that! smile

The film I'm most looking forward to seeing at the moment ( at the Cinema ) is No Country For Old Men which has had such great reviews plus I'm a big fan of the Coen's work. Anyone seen this yet?

It's great. You'll love it if you're a big fan of the Coens.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    TRANSFORMERS
    It took me about an hour to realize that this movie is deliberately silly, or should I say tongue-in-cheek. This is a fun testosterone fest and after two hours of fun action, tacky dialogue, incredibly one-dimensional characters, fantastic sound effects and pretty good CGI, I have to admit that yes, I had a lot of fun. Not only a couple of laughs, but many. The direction is constantly over the top, with more than a few nods to early Bruckheimer stuff like Top Gun, slow-motion shots and dazzling sunsets. Only problem I had in the end was Jablonsky's score which is so terribly generic and pointless - just imagine what a composer like Elliot or Bruce would do with a film like this!

THE PAINTED VEIL
    Beautifully shot, well acted, with a brilliant score by Alexandre Desplat. But the story itself has its problems and the main one is that the two main characters (Edward Norton and Naomi Watts) are so boring, cynical and basically not very interesting. I have to say, though, that the second half of the film is much better than the first one, and really moving. I also like the fact that although this film and story has this huge potential to scream out "THIS IS A BIG EPIC ROMANCE", it never does that, instead it remains pretty low-key. And I wonder if Desplat isn't the finest composer working in the business right now!

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    moviescore wrote
    And I wonder if Desplat isn't the finest composer working in the business right now!

mc

I'll double, triple that and i am sure another fine dude i have in mind will happily do so as well wink
  2. moviescore wrote
    THE PAINTED VEIL
    Beautifully shot, well acted, with a brilliant score by Alexandre Desplat. But the story itself has its problems and the main one is that the two main characters (Edward Norton and Naomi Watts) are so boring, cynical and basically not very interesting. I have to say, though, that the second half of the film is much better than the first one, and really moving. I also like the fact that although this film and story has this huge potential to scream out "THIS IS A BIG EPIC ROMANCE", it never does that, instead it remains pretty low-key. And I wonder if Desplat isn't the finest composer working in the business right now!

They did very well for what was probably a pretty small budget. I find the film worth it for where the Watts/Norton relationship goes. And you're right about the Desplat score. That, Toby Jones's character as the official, and Stuart Dryburgh's photography all seem like no-brainers for Oscar noms.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008 edited
    See? wink

Christodoulides wrote
    moviescore wrote
    And I wonder if Desplat isn't the finest composer working in the business right now!

mc

I'll double, triple that and i am sure another fine dude i have in mind will happily do so as well wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008
    moviescore wrote
    TRANSFORMERS
    Only problem I had in the end was Jablonsky's score which is so terribly generic and pointless - just imagine what a composer like Elliot or Bruce would do with a film like this!

But you're so passionately and fervently against this type of music that you only see the bad side and are thus biased from the start. I personally think it does work well in the film, although I whole-heartedly agree that a Goldenthal or Broughton score would have been miles better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Goldenthal or Broughton?? For Transformers??
    I don't know about Broughton, but I can't imagine something like Final Fantasy working in a Michael Bay film. Not that either composer isn't amazingly talented....but their styles just wouldn't fit. At all.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008 edited
    Scribe wrote
    I don't know about Broughton, but I can't imagine something like Final Fantasy working in a Michael Bay film. Not that either composer isn't amazingly talented....but their styles just wouldn't fit. At all.

Only because you're so conditioned to this style of film having an MV-type score. Broughton or Goldenthal are vastly more talented than Jablonsky and could thus score a much larger variety of films much more effectively than Jablonsky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote

I didn't think so either....untill I saw S.W.A.T. - a highly conventional action film with a smokin' Goldenthal score that was both accesible and in his usual off-kilter style at once!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote

Only because you're so conditioned to this style of film having an MV-type score. Broughton or Goldenthal are vastly more talented than Jablonsky and could thus score a much larger variety of films much more effectively than Jablonsky.

100% agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Steven wrote
    But you're so passionately and fervently against this type of music that you only see the bad side and are thus biased from the start. I personally think it does work well in the film, although I whole-heartedly agree that a Goldenthal or Broughton score would have been miles better.

You know what - I actually said that Jablonsky's score "worked" in the film - yes, it did, but that doesn't mean I liked it, and it doesn't mean that it was a particularly good score.

To tell you the truth I wouldn't mind this kind of film music if it wasn't used, overused, reused, reworked, washed out, inside out, in 90% of all the major action blockbusters coming out of Hollywood these days. When it was first heard in films such as The Rock and Crimson Tide I thought, "hell this is cool" - it was a fresh, new approach to scoring this kind of films. Now every film sounds like its predecessor and the one coming after will sound exactly the same.

So you got me started... what's problematic with all these scores, in my opinion, is: 1) there is usually too much music in these films - wall-to-wall spotting is part of the approach (but to be fair some films scored by Elliot and John Williams has the same problem), 2) the composers are not using orchestration as a dramatic tool (all these scores have the same thick, mid-range strings and horns sound and instrumentation is seldom used for identifying specific elements of the film which is a fundemental tool in film scoring, in my opinion), 3) the harmonic world these scores live in seems to be extremely limited (okay, you go from C minor, raise the fifth to a sixth, then goes to B flat major, followed by Eb major...), which is why all these heroic anthems sound the same.

Sorry for the rant...

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008
    Is NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN on limited release or something? Looking in the paper today, out of the 17 major cinemas in Birmingham, only 3 had it listed. Sadly, my local cinema isn't one of them.

confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    LSH wrote
    Is NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN on limited release or something? Looking in the paper today, out of the 17 major cinemas in Birmingham, only 3 had it listed. Sadly, my local cinema isn't one of them.

confused

Wow, 17 cinema's in one city? And three cinemas got it in one city? That's called a 'luxury' in Holland shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008 edited
    BobdH wrote
    LSH wrote

confused

Wow, 17 cinema's in one city? And three cinemas got it in one city? That's called a 'luxury' in Holland shocked

Lol. Those 17 are in the whole Birmingham area, not just the centre. smile

EDIT: I just checked my cinema's website and it's now suddenly showing from tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    moviescore wrote

Sorry for the rant...

mc

Thank you for the rant! You speak the truth!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. All hail the truth-teller.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    STARDUST
    What a pleasant surprise - I was expecting a really problematic film, given what happened on the musical side (when they switch composers on a film, usually it's the film - not the music - that stinks...) but this was really a charming, beautiful, exciting, funny, old-fashioned kind of fantasy adventure. Old-fashioned it is also in terms of the effects - this one doesn't scream CGI, instead it's got a nice classic (and sometimes perhaps not fantastic) look. And that is also what I like about Ilan Eshkeri's score, which is given an unusual big role as a *part* of the storytelling, not just an added layer on top. Well done!
  4. Sorry for ignorance, but whom did Eshkeri replace?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. John Ottman, i think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    It's usual that a replacement composer is a trade down from the original composer. However, there are some composers where it's simply impossible to trade down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    We didn't miss anything important then wink