• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2008 edited
    Saw a bit of Rambo: First Blood on the telly last night. Man, that was hilarious! It was the bit where the big primate Rambo was SPOILER trying hard to cry for the death of the damsel he held in his big, macho, muscled arms. Turned it off after that, when he avenged her death by using his big, macho gun SPOILER. No, this ain't my kinda film tongue
  1. Watched The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada last night on TV. A good film, slow-paced but thoroughly engrossing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2008
    BobdH wrote
    Saw a bit of Rambo: First Blood on the telly last night. Man, that was hilarious! It was the bit where the big primate Rambo was SPOILER trying hard to cry for the death of the damsel he held in his big, macho, muscled arms. Turned it off after that, when he avenged her death by using his big, macho gun SPOILER. No, this ain't my kinda film tongue

I actually think the second and third instalments are far more entertaining. The first is the kind of "very silly film that takes itself seriously" that I hate. The second and third are indescribably dumb and positively revel in it.
  2. I only remember Rambo III from my childhood and I thought it was entertaining flick. Knowing me, I sure would enjoy it if I saw it again... if only for Goldsmith. But I'm not hyped at all to see the new movie, not the biggest Stallone fan am I!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008
    Southall wrote
    BobdH wrote

I actually think the second and third instalments are far more entertaining. The first is the kind of "very silly film that takes itself seriously" that I hate. The second and third are indescribably dumb and positively revel in it.

Absolutely, Rambo's II & III are a hoot! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008
    Whaha, and wasn't it Stallone who said he hated Rambo III because of the lack of an emotional arch or story? That's why he brought that seriousness back to the new John Rambo dizzy
  3. Watched a few old Goldsmith films over the last week:

- CAPRICORN ONE - Pretty good. More pulpy than the paranoia genre it capped off, but worthwhile, and not every film has to be depressing. Goldsmith's score is truly sensational.

- CHINATOWN - Good to see it again. The film still leaves me a bit cold (there's one line of dialogue missing that would have made the film work for me). But the style of the film and the acting are truly fine, and Goldsmith's score gives it a lot of its heart.

- THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL - Never seen this one before. It's pretty silly, but still good to see. An indication that Schaffner was not so sure-footed as a director when the script wasn't 'squared away'. I was surprised to see the score in context - the use of the Straussian waltz was not nearly as bitterly-funny as I expected, and this one feels like a little bit of a missed opportunity music-wise. (When the dogs go for Mengele, and the various old men are assassinated, I kept wanting to hear the waltz!)

- STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith's scoring of the Vejur sequences elevate the film a lot. 'The Enterprise' scene, for all the genuine grandeur of the music, comes off as vaguely ridiculous, particularly when Kirk's shuttle swings around for yet another pass. Kirk's summary of the ideas of the film at the end is classic Shatner acting.

And one non-Goldsmith DVD:

- THE CLAIM - Remarkably underrated western from Michael Winterbottom. Thomas Hardy meets the Old West! Who financed that? Whoever it was, we can be grateful for a film with a very special sense of time and place, and a fine cast consisting of Peter Mullan, Wes Bentley, Sarah Polley, Nastasha Kinski and (the ever-radiant) Milla Jovovich. This is the second time I've seen it, and it confirmed my impression from the first viewing: most of Michael Nyman's score didn't make the film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. One more Goldsmith film for the week...

- TOTAL RECALL - Believe it or not, I've never seen this before. Why does this film have legendary status? It's no sci-fi masterpiece, and as far as Arnie films go, not better than PREDATOR or TERMINATOR 2. Jerry Goldsmith acquits himself fairly well, but the film is just a set of chase scenes, something he doesn't really struggle to keep up with. You could do a lot with the idea of someone who doesn't know which memories are real, but I doubt this was terribly close to what Phillip K Dick had in mind.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    One more Goldsmith film for the week...

- TOTAL RECALL - Believe it or not, I've never seen this before. Why does this film have legendary status? It's no sci-fi masterpiece, and as far as Arnie films go, not better than PREDATOR or TERMINATOR 2. Jerry Goldsmith acquits himself fairly well, but the film is just a set of chase scenes, something he doesn't really struggle to keep up with. You could do a lot with the idea of someone who doesn't know which memories are real, but I doubt this was terribly close to what Phillip K Dick had in mind.

And howzabout that ending? How come their eyeballs return to normal after trying the great socket escape!? shocked

I find it goofy and enjoyable though I'd rather just enjoy the score by itself cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. I've always liked Total Recall. It's a fun movie. The special effects are nicely done. But, the three-breasted woman: do you think those are real? wink

Recently I've watched:

Shanghai Express/Millionaire's Express directed by Sammo Hung. Great martial arts western comedy. The jokes are really quite funny and the stunts are amazing including one of the best I've ever seen by Yuen Biao. He does a cartwheel off the roof of a four-story burning building and lands on his feet, gets up and runs about ten feet and delivers a few lines all in one shot! The only thing to break his fall was a few Japanese tatami mats buried in the dirt. It's a really fun movie.

-Nate
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I saw a screening of The Bank Job yesterday evening. I knew nothing about it when going in (apart from I was seeing it for free), but I really enjoyed it. Best film I've seen this year (but not that hard considering the other two are Cloverfield and National Treasure 2). It's essentially the British Ocean's eleven. No way near as elaborate but it still makes a good thriller. Jason Statham manages to refrain from injuring anybody until the final scene too (see: bricks). Highly reccomended!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've watched Total Recall a couple of times - enjoyed it. I think Goldsmith's score is wonderful. "The Mutant" is a highlight of his later years, I think.
  6. 'The Mutant' is a very good cue, agreed.

For some reason I found the visual universe really hard to buy into... it all looked so tacky. If they wanted to make us feel like we were inside some secret-agent movie (something that pops up a few times in the plot), they should have tried for a more stylised genre look... a bit like BLADE RUNNER or (the less consistent) MINORITY REPORT did with film noir.

It was all a bit of an excuse for a shoot-em-up and run-a-round. No wonder Goldsmith started simplifying his sound from that point on. The game had changed - films were calling for too much music, and providing composers with too little genuine drama to reflect in the music. Not to mention burying some of the strongest action setpieces in FX... And you have to wonder about the shadows of 'Anvil of Crom' ... surely someone of Goldsmith's pluck had a gun to his head on that one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That's a fair point about the visual universe. And an interesting one about the Poledouris references, which I've never been able to understand. Goldsmith spoke in such glowing terms about Verhoeven and I've never been able to work out why - his American films are universally terrible. A few of them are still pretty enjoyable though, and Total Recall is certainly one of those (for me).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've been having a Star Wars marathon lately. I've been wanting to do it for ages but never quite got the time, but the DVDs have been sitting gathering dust for so long (I've never watched any of them) I thought it was finally time.

The Phantom Menace - not nearly as bad as I remembered. Still, it IS deeply-flawed. A pity Lucas forgot what made the first film(s) so attractive in the first place - a sense of reality. You just can't replicate that with computer graphics. Anyway, my fondest moment watching it was finally working out what the Trade Federation President's voice reminded me of (it's been bugging me since 1999, after all) - it's the episode of Fawlty Towers where Manuel is speaking from his English book while crouching behind the counter, and the Major thinks it's the moose on the wall speaking to him. "I speak English, I learn it from a book!" - same voice as the Trade Federation guy.

Attack of the Clones - THE worst dialogue I've ever heard, but the film isn't actually that bad. It would have been nice if someone who could actually act had been cast as Anakin Skywalker, but I suspect Olivier would have struggled with what he was given to work with. It contains the worst piece of scoring in the series, when Anakin and Padme kiss for the first time, then pull away... and the music just stops as if the needle's been taken off record player. It's amateurish and I can't believe Williams did it.

Revenge of the Sith - I thought this was excellent when I first saw it, and still do. There's a genuine epic quality to it which is frankly unbelievable after the two films which preceded it. The sequence where the Jedi are wiped out is spine-tingling.

A New Hope - holds up well. The spliced-in footage is a bit jarring but never mind. It's interesting that this one is essentially about Luke Skywalker and only Luke Skywalker, everything revolves around him - and contrast that with the prequels, which could easily have been about Anakin Skywalker and only Anakin Skywalker, but (to an extent excepting the final one) were convoluted and unfocussed instead. My favourite musical moment of the series, too - "Binary Sunset".

The Empire Strikes Back - I probably watched this film fifty times when I was growing up, but hadn't then seen it since the special edition was in cinemas. I still like it. The opening Hoth sequence is tremendously well-done, and while the Yoda sequences don't hold up all that well, it's still a terrific piece of entertaining. And the music is a masterpiece.

Look forward to ROTJ tonight - again, I haven't seen it since the special edition was in cinemas.
  7. Southall wrote
    That's a fair point about the visual universe. And an interesting one about the Poledouris references, which I've never been able to understand. Goldsmith spoke in such glowing terms about Verhoeven and I've never been able to work out why - his American films are universally terrible. A few of them are still pretty enjoyable though, and Total Recall is certainly one of those (for me).

I like STARSHIP TROOPERS, and BASIC INSTINCT certainly has a few points in its favour, but for the most part I agree. I guess Goldsmith liked working for someone who was: (i) coming up with some interesting scenes, even if he tended to deal with them in the most lurid way; (ii) willing to spend an appropriate amount of time working with a composer, and wouldn't butcher the score.

What a tragedy neither Goldsmith or Poledouris lived to score BLACK BOOK!
  8. Southall wrote
    Attack of the Clones - THE worst dialogue I've ever heard, but the film isn't actually that bad.

But sand does get everywhere! Lucas is subtly hinting at the fact that you often find sand in your clothes at the end of the day!

It contains the worst piece of scoring in the series, when Anakin and Padme kiss for the first time, then pull away... and the music just stops as if the needle's been taken off record player. It's amateurish and I can't believe Williams did it.

What would be worse is a scene like the one in ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE where Walter Raleigh tells of finding the new world, and the music swells under his speech. The scene is interrupted, and the music abruptly stops, only to pick up again where it left off when he resumes his speech.

Given the notes on the REVENGE OF THE SITH spotting sessions and the kind of detail Lucas goes into with his 'in/out' points, I suspect he was dutifully following orders here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008
    Southall wrote
    Revenge of the Sith - I thought this was excellent when I first saw it, and still do. There's a genuine epic quality to it which is frankly unbelievable after the two films which preceded it. The sequence where the Jedi are wiped out is spine-tingling.

I still think it sucks.

The Empire Strikes Back - I probably watched this film fifty times when I was growing up, but hadn't then seen it since the special edition was in cinemas. I still like it. The opening Hoth sequence is tremendously well-done, and while the Yoda sequences don't hold up all that well, it's still a terrific piece of entertaining. And the music is a masterpiece.

Are you f*cking kidding me? Yoda is ALIVE in Empire, he's real... unlike the ridiculous prequels as a CG character. Truly horrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, I watched Return of the Jedi. Not exactly how the thing should bow out (and I guess it isn't... I'm sure some further instalments will be on their way when the Lucasfilm balance sheet needs it) but there are some good moments. The score is probably underappreciated. Luke & Leia is such a fine theme, and the Ewok Battle music (in its concert arrangement, at least) is wonderful. My second-favourite musical moment of the series is the cue that underscores the final moments of Luke & Darth Vader's lightsaber duel - incredible stuff.
  9. I picked up Ratatouille on DVD today as a present for my son, David (in March). It was a 3-DVD set that features a set of Pixar shorts:

The Adventures Of André & Wally B. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY3XBiaeSlU
    Luxo Jr. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rt3Q8eEVmQ
    Red's Dream
    Tin Toy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT0Q9N1QtL0
    Knick Knack - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jI6WOzdzdY
    Geri's Game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sBfm1efvts
    For The Birds - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXiVVGPM5vQ
    Mike's New Car - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm1V46sJTm8
    Boundin' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcyUORPpBnM
    Jack-Jack Attack - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj6p-FfbKjM
    One Man Band - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkilVKSlC9o
    Mater And The Ghostlight -
    Lifted - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD8b8td4oCQ

I just had to watch all the shorts. biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008 edited
    100% agree Steven.

CG Yoda = rolleyes vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    CGI Yoda fighting that old guy (Chrisopher Lee) is the highlight of Episode 2. cool punk
    (and the only thing I remember from that movie)
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I love the editing in episode 1 when they're breaking back into the palace at the end. They're on a window ledge and fire these weird grappling hooks upto a higher ledge. Then theres a CGI shot where it shows them going up the ropes and it looks like a cut out photo stuck in front on another.

The music switches from the Duel Of The Fates to some other random piece with the WORST EDITING EVER (it just cuts out!). Then there's an oscar nominated effects scene where one person shoots the window with a gun and we cut to an inside shot of the building and there's a huge explosion. Then there's a couple more cuts and everyone is inside.

Best. Scene. Ever. biggrin

I highly suggest you watch it as it's beyond awful. It's like they filmed it and got to the editing process and thought ''oh crap, we missed out a scene completly!''. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Just saw RAMBO (4)

Very violent! Realistic too (for a Rambo film). But it's not realistic as say Saving Private Ryan due to the "Rambo" character doing his thing. But I still like ol' Rambo.

Tyler's score was seviceable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    CGI Yoda fighting that old guy (Chrisopher Lee) is the highlight of Episode 2. cool punk

I agree. And it still sucked! tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote

I agree. And it still sucked! tongue

It was comical having 2 characters having their limbs cut off in quick succession....if I remember it right... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Recent viewing:

Bee Movie - watched it with the kids at the cinema. It was their first movie in the theatre! Shame on me because they are 7 and 6 years old... Anyway, I loved the movie. Very nice to see on the big screen, since there are some breathtaking scenes that make you feel like you are flying (such as the 'rollercoaster' stuff at Honex factory and of course when Barry Flies Out). I totally got goosebumps during the flight scene, it's a beautiful. I also laughed my ass of in this movie. Good jokes, some even quite harsh which was refreshing for a family movie, hehe. Only downside for me was that the story got nowhere a bit in the middle. Of course the story is ridiculous on itself, but in the middle I was thinking 'where is this going?'. Then it took off again and the finale was really nice. I also thought the animation was stunning. At some points almost real, like the front of a building or a bottle of nailpolish. The score rocks too! And I even loved the song in the end instead of score for the final scene. We had a great time. I will certainly watch it on DVD again. Also because I want to see the original version with the original voices too. We saw the Dutch version of course, with the kids.

National Treasure - Book of Secrets
    Well, rather weak compared to part one, but I had a good time again. I guess I'm easily satisfied!
    The movie is not that good and leaning on part one a lot, even repeating some stuff, which is a shame really. But, since a was in the mood for something entertaining and lighthearted, it did the job.

Two Brothers - on TV
    Last week it showed on TV and my daughter and I watched it together. I already knew the beautiful score by Stephen Warbeck but had not seen the movie yet. (Not? It's about tigers! Yes, I know). So it was a nice opportunity to see it. I didn't know it was such a long movie, over two hours, a bit long for my daughter (and me too perhaps) but I enjoyed it. The story is really about the tigers and it's so beautiful! First part is about the cubs and at one point my daughter asked if I could please stop saying 'Ahh!' and 'Oh!' all the time hehe. Anyway, beautiful story and watching tigers for two hours is great, needless to say. I really liked it but although the channel presented it as a family movie I thought some parts were quite violent and the story too complicated for kids. Or maybe I'm just too protecting. Good to hear the score in the movie. My favourite theme (as heard in the track Goodnight) brought me to tears again.

I'm not really good at reviewing movies, just sharing my experience, so... wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje, Have you seen JJ Annaud's ( same directer as Two Brothers ) The Bear?

A very enjoyable family film with a great score by Philippe Sarde. ( though there is one scene where the Bear is high on drugs! wink )
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Now that I have to see.

What drugs? dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Now that I have to see.

What drugs? dizzy

Some crack, smack, weed and...

Of course not! wink

The Bear trips out after eating wild magic mushrooms.