• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008
    And is this live action? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote
    CGI Yoda fighting that old guy (Chrisopher Lee) is the highlight of Episode 2. cool punk
    (and the only thing I remember from that movie)

I agree. And it still sucked! tongue

I disagree completely. Yoda limping into the scene and then moments later fighting like he is in The Matrix is totally ridiculous!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Bregje, Have you seen JJ Annaud's ( same directer as Two Brothers ) The Bear?

A very enjoyable family film with a great score by Philippe Sarde. ( though there is one scene where the Bear is high on drugs! wink )

An absolutely fabulous film! One of my childhood favorites. I purchased it on DVD a year or so ago, watch it again, and it still holds up. All live action, wonderful score, and an ending that still makes me sob like a baby!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Bregje, Have you seen JJ Annaud's ( same directer as Two Brothers ) The Bear?

A very enjoyable family film with a great score by Philippe Sarde. ( though there is one scene where the Bear is high on drugs! wink )

An absolutely fabulous film! One of my childhood favorites. I purchased it on DVD a year or so ago, watch it again, and it still holds up. All live action, wonderful score, and an ending that still makes me sob like a baby!

-Erik-

There y' go Bregje, two recommendations now! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote
    CGI Yoda fighting that old guy (Chrisopher Lee) is the highlight of Episode 2. cool punk

I disagree completely. Yoda limping into the scene and then moments later fighting like he is in The Matrix is totally ridiculous!

-Erik-

But isn't it possible that Yoda was trying to lure Count Dooku ( is that the right name? ) into a false sense of security? That's the way I rationalised it, or do you think I making up excuses for shoddy continuaty? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote

-Erik-

But isn't it possible that Yoda was trying to lure Count Dooku ( is that the right name? ) into a false sense of security? That's the way I rationalised it, or do you think I making up excuses for shoddy continuaty? wink

Yoda limped in The Phantom Menace. He has that crutch for a reason. He is old! The Dooku/Yoda and Yoda/Palpatine fights were beyond stupid and unnecessary.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good point Erik, but it could still be a ruse? oh, look at the lame green dwarf, let's kick him in, and then the next moment you've got a cosmic powered Bruce Lee on your hands! cool

In reality I think I agree with you though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, THE BEAR is a childhood favourite of mine too, one of my early cinema experiences. Can't remember much of it now, other than that I liked it at the time (when was it released again?).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    1988 Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008 edited
    Saw last night: Die Entführung aus dem Serail (Mozart)

Live opera, in about the biggest opera-theater of the Netherlands: the Stopera, in Amsterdam. Live orchestra, great performances, I loved it! lick Didn't bring my contactlenses, though, so I had to be informed about the story in the break and afterwards (the translation was shown above it on a screen, but it was just too small for me), but I came for the music, not the story (which I was still able to keep up on, a bit, since it was in German, and it had spoken parts in between).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    Euhm, they don't play There Will Be Blood in my cinema!!!!

But they fucking play The Flock!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    Euhm, they don't play There Will Be Blood in my cinema!!!!

It's ridiculous! Go protest! Boycot the cinema! Never go there again! :soap:
    You found another one where they do play this Oscar-winner? I'm going tonight lick

INTO THE WILD
    A very satisfactory viewing experience, both for the wide shots of nature, the adventurous spirit, deeper philosophical layers and the inspirational qualities; they're all present here, without over-doing it. However, the nature shots could've been edited slower, to give the film a more meditative mood. Instead, Sean Penn opts for a faster approach, with music by Pearl Jem member Eddie Vedder. It does portray the main character perfectly, so I guess this works out fine as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2008 edited
    THERE WILL BE BLOOD
    Such a perfect cinematic experience. From the standout performances of its cast, to the brilliant music, the cinematography and the perfect editing, this would've been PTA's masterpiece, if he wouldn't have already made Magnolia. I'll let this sink in, first, before I go on about this one...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What is so brilliant with the music? I heard it on cd and i was not that interesting?
    Why is everyone talking about it so much. I guess I need to see te movie. dizzy

But no, they dont play it. rolleyes
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    What is so brilliant with the music? I heard it on cd and i was not that interesting?

Oh, you have to hear it in the movie. It's not your typical filmscoring smile It's one of those scores that are exactly right for the movie, and its responsible for so much of the tone of the film, that it's hard to think of it without this music.

Bregt wrote

Because it's one of those Great Movies!

Bregt wrote
    But no, they dont play it. rolleyes

And that is a dirty shame! angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2008
    BobdH wrote
    Bregt wrote

Because it's one of those Great Movies!

Yup, I noticed that and I so want to see it.

I've seen a couple of great movies the past weeks, well, since 2008 started actually:

No Country for Old Men was fantastic. Although the last scene doesn't make much sense to me yet, I'll have to rewatch it once

Into the Wild. While a bit patronising sometimes, about money and such, it's a great story and told in a beautiful and interesting order, though, the flashbacks/forwards didn't need putting a date under it, it was obvious enough

Sweeney Todd. I thought I wouldn't like it because it was a musical (how narrowminded of me, I know) but I loved it. I thought the songs were more 'catchy' than expected. Not a very surprsing story, but everything else makes it worth it. Depp sings and act like crazy, what a performance. I wasn't too fond of the My Friends scene at first, but now, I think, after hearing the song again, was one of the highlights.

Cloverfield. tongue

Juno. Not as fantastic as everyone claims, but defenitely ver enjoyable, and it had me putting a smile up almostever second I was watching it. A cool story, fine humor, Page acts like she's always been sixteen and never pregnant. And the song at the end, with Michael Cera and here singing, is fantastic. So breakable and cute. Defenitely up there with those quircky indie movies lik Little Miss Sunshine.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yeah, Juno is really the Little Miss Sunshine of the year. Not fantastic, indeed, but nobody said it was a masterpiece. It's just a very charming movie with great scriptwriting (the dialogues, mainly) and a great production design. Enjoyable, indeed.

Good list of films. I'd say you've seen all the great films of the year, now all you need is to see The Great Film to top it off wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Does anyone else rush out to see all the movies that won Oscars? I've seen a few, but I still really want to see Michael Clayton, There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men. sad

Edit: And Juno, duh. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS
    Phileas Fogg and Passepartout travel from studio backlot 8 to meadow 14 in this not-so-epic yet epic-in-its-cameos silly version of Jules Vernes famous story. It's all overly kid-friendly, so I guess it serves as a great introduction for the juniors, but anyone above that age will get irritated over the enormous errors and improbable situations (no compass?). Still, there were a few great gags, and 'spot the celebrity' is always a fun game to play.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ..why? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh, I don't know, but going 'hey, that's Kathy Bates!' and 'wtf, governor Schwarzenegger in a dress?!?' (there's even a blink-and-you'll-miss-it showup from John Cleese confused ) always keeps me from getting bored dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2008
    BobdH wrote
    AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS
    Phileas Fogg and Passepartout travel from studio backlot 8 to meadow 14 in this not-so-epic yet epic-in-its-cameos silly version of Jules Vernes famous story. It's all overly kid-friendly, so I guess it serves as a great introduction for the juniors, but anyone above that age will get irritated over the enormous errors and improbable situations (no compass?). Still, there were a few great gags, and 'spot the celebrity' is always a fun game to play.

I presume your speaking of the Steeve Coogan / Jackie Chan film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote

Yep.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yep.

It's fooking shite isn't it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It has Jackie Chan in it. 'Course it bloody is!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It has Jackie Chan in it. 'Course it bloody is!

As long as he's doing crazy stunts Chan is very watchable.

Steeve Coogan is a comedy genius, just not in films! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2008 edited
    Stardust
    Based on the story by Neil Gaiman, whom I consider to be one of the finest story tellers on the planet today, this is an absolutely charming fairy tale with many momentous Gaimanisms (incorporating a plethora of west European folklore elements with a twist). The story follows a more or less familiar line (as is fairy tales'wont) where a human boy whose background is shrouded in mystery goes on a quest to find a Fallen Star, only to be swept up in the battle for ascendance to the magical land's throne and True Love.

Well-acted throughout, with DeNiro's sky captain striking a very fine and impressive balance between broad and believable and Michelle Pfeiffer (who still looks marvellous!) major standouts.
    The two young leads (Charlie Cox as Tristan the boy and Claire Danes as Yvaine the fallen star) are a positively lovely couple.

Pluses: the acting, the sweeping score by Ilan Eshkeri, the sense of fun from all involved, and the old-school charm.

Minuses: The cross-look between fantasy and 19th century has been done in The Golden Compass, and most of the broad, sweeping shots (and an important bit of the music) is *very* reminiscent of The Lord Of The Rings (which is just a minor quibble as it's obvious that The Lord Of The Rings trilogy will influence fantasy films for many more years to come).

Standout scenes:
    -the watcher at the wall
    -the scene between Ricky Gervais and Robert DeNiro (which is quite a bit funnier if you've seen Extras)
    -the "zombie"-prince fight scene
    -any scene where Danes "shines" love

A rich 4 out of 5.

--------------------

La Vie En Rose

The richly acclaimed film about legendary French chansonière Edith Piaf is stunningly acted (with lead star Marion Cotillard very deservedly winning the Oscar for her tremendous tour de force), but is oddly fragmented and episodic (causing not a little confusion in timelines) and superficial which gives the film a very flat and uninvolved sense.

While Piaf's life is one of truly great tragedy and fear, we are never really involved in what goes through her mind. The audience is a mere observer of scenes that -although apparently pivotal- are inadequately explained in an emotional context and hence leave us rather cold. We don't get involved.
    We merely watch.
    Which, for almost 2 and a half hours, is a bit of a chore to be honest.

Of course it doesn't help much that I personally was never fond of Piaf's stylings, but I can see where her life would have made a terrific (and terrifying) and very engrossing story...and this wasn't it.

Pluses: the acting, the sound (I can't figure out if they cleaned up old Piaf recordings or rerecorded those songs, but it sounds perfect).

Minuses: Sorry. It's unengrossing. In fact I'd go as far as to say that it's rather boring.

Standout scenes: 10-year old Edith, up 'till then portrayed as silent and sickly, bursts out into The Marseillaise on the streets with a power and emotion to drop anyone on their arse.

2 out of 5

--------------------

El Methodo

A Spanish black comedy / drama about a group of people coming together at the huge multinational Dekia to apply for -we suppose as it's never explained- a top-level management job in the middle of the great anti-globalization riots in Madrid in 1994.

Expecting a last interview, the applicans are sat together in a board room and explained they will undergo a series of tests according to the "Grönholm-method", which is a group process.

What follows is a series of increasingly uncomfortable assessments where no secret remains safe and no one is spared facing his own weakness.

A film that remains interesting throughout (though not always as believable as I'd have liked, although the script writers have been very clever at occasion) with a huge sense of claustrophobia and loss of control. While not the best film I've seen to tackle these subjects, it does keep you thinking and talking afterwards about the choices that you are faced with and your own ethics and limits, and that alone is impressive enough for a film.

Pluses: EVERYONE in the film is beautiful! Especially Natalia Verbeke (Montse in the film). Bloody HELL! shocked
    Good script, excellent location direction.

Minuses: Everyone in the film is beautiful...which isn't really too believable. In fact there are more things not always completely believable (the "bathroom scene" still makes little sense to me)

Standout scenes: The first person voted out. Very disturbing. Very wrong.

4 out of 5.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Stardust
    Based on the story by Neil Gaiman, whom I consider to be one of the finest story tellers on the planet today, this is an absolutely charming fairy tale with many momentous Gaimanisms (incorporating a plethora of west European folklore elements with a twist). The story follows a more or less familiar line (as is fairy tales'wont) where a human boy whose background is shrouded in mystery goes on a quest to find a Fallen Star, only to be swept up in the battle for ascendance to the magical land's throne and True Love.

Well-acted throughout, with DeNiro's sky captain striking a very fine and impressive balance between broad and believable and Michelle Pfeiffer (who still looks marvellous!) major standouts.
    The two young leads (Charlie Cox as Tristan the boy and Claire Danes as Yvaine the fallen star) are a positively lovely couple.

Pluses: the acting, the sweeping score by Ilan Eshkeri, the sense of fun from all involved, and the old-school charm.

Minuses: The cross-look between fantasy and 19th century has been done in The Golden Compass, and most of the broad, sweeping shots (and an important bit of the music) is *very* reminiscent of The Lord Of The Rings (which is just a minor quibble as it's obvious that The Lord Of The Rings trilogy will influence fantasy films for many more years to come).

Standout scenes:
    -the watcher at the wall
    -the scene between Ricky Gervais and Robert DeNiro (which is quite a bit funnier if you've seen Extras)
    -the "zombie"-prince fight scene
    -any scene where Danes "shines" love

A rich 4 out of 5.

I thought you were my friend!? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

And as any true friend would do, I'd consider it my solemn duty to point out where you are obviously, irrevocably and irrefutably wrong to ensure sparing you any inevitable future embarassment.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

And as any true friend would do, I'd consider it my solemn duty to point out where you are obviously, irrevocably and irrefutably wrong to ensure sparing you any inevitable future embarassment.

I couldn't agree more. And as your friend, I will perform my solemn duty: Stardust is awful. biggrin