• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    moviescore wrote
    STARDUST
    What a pleasant surprise - I was expecting a really problematic film, given what happened on the musical side (when they switch composers on a film, usually it's the film - not the music - that stinks...) but this was really a charming, beautiful, exciting, funny, old-fashioned kind of fantasy adventure. Old-fashioned it is also in terms of the effects - this one doesn't scream CGI, instead it's got a nice classic (and sometimes perhaps not fantastic) look. And that is also what I like about Ilan Eshkeri's score, which is given an unusual big role as a *part* of the storytelling, not just an added layer on top. Well done!

Over to you Steven wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    What On Earth Have I Done Wrong
    Taiwanese film shot as a mockumentary (i.e. shaky cam vomit ) , but far too narrative and dramatic to be ever convincing as either mock- or doc-umentary, about a film maker wanting to make a mockumentary.

Doze, a TV director, wants to shoot his first key feature and in trying to obtain funds gets involved with gangsters and cheats repeatedly on his moody girlfriend.
    Not too bad, but far too self-indulgent and self-important semi-autobiographical (or is it? Or isn't it? sleep ) portrait of actor/director-wannabe Niu Chen-zen.
    Director Doze is not interesting (or nice) enough to be engaging, and while the supporting cast tries, it never gets off the ground.
    In the end, not very original, nor very interesting.

There is no soundtrack (apart from some songs in the background and some rhythmic ambient noise here and there).

3 out of 5

La Maison Jaune
    Algerian film about a dirt-poor farmer who's informed his only son has died in a traffic accident. He sets off to reclaim the body, but coming home finds that his wife has become so depressed she won't eat any more.

Beautifully shot by a director who really knows his business. It's style is a HUGE (and very welcome) departure from mainstream films: it's very languishly paced taking all the time it needs, the camera lingering on landscapes, faces and movements, at times seeming to be even lovingly stroking them.
    There is very little action, granting the audience ample time to come to grips with the farmer's family grief, which is unbroken by artificial plot points (most every single person they meet is empathic, sympathetic and kind).

It's a lovely, sweet, poetic little film, obviously made with great love for Algeria and its people. For those who don't mind their scenes lasting longer than thirty seconds with about sixteen angle changes, a wellworth and beautiful experience.

The soundtrack is a surprisingly occidental-sounding and very accessible mix of oud, guitar and vocal music, I guess from ethnic Algerian artists. If a CD comes out, I'll buy it in a second!

5 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2008 edited
    Cloverfield
    A bit of a let down after all the fuss. Give me "REC" or "Diary of the Dead" anytime.
    Entertaining, fast paced and technically perfect, but nothing else. There´s a point in the movie in which it turns into a Mission Impossible meets Godzilla that it´s simply too much.
    Giacchino´s "Cloverfield Overture" is great though.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2008
    Black Sheep

Crazy but fun horror shclock from New Zealand about the true nature of sheep. I knew it!

Has quite a nice score from composer Victoria Kelly. No score CD available as yet though.
    • CommentAuthorWyatt
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008
    There Will Be Blood

I really don't think that anything I could think of to say about this film would do it justice, but I might as well tell you that it was outstanding visually, the music from Jonny Greenwood is just brilliant, you forget your even watching a Daniel Day-Lewis film, he is Daniel Plainview as far as the film is concerned. This is an incredible, phenomenal film. I really, really suggest it for viewing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008
    ^ Sweet, have to watch that then!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2008 edited
    THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL
    The ladies (Scarlett Johansen and Natalie Portman) are both excellent as respectively the quiet and humble and the naughty and feisty Boleyn girls (would've guesses it the other way round, looking at the casting) with especially Portman really getting into her character as the film approaches its tragic ending, while Eric Bana (lucky, lucky man as he is) plays it cool, at times charming, at times the powerful bastard as Arthur was. Yet aside from a few nice moodshots, director Justin Chadwick doesn't really have a remarkable directingstyle, while Paul Cantelon also composed a fairly by-the-numbers score, which makes this otherwise bland film totally dependable on its leads, costume designs and script. Luckily, the latter doesn't disappoint either, which makes this still a worthy costume drama which shows how cruelly political they dealt with love 'n babies in the 16th century.

SWEENEY TODD
    Just got back, and boy, I'm still completely in its trance! It's such a gruesome, dark, but entrancing tale, made better with the combination of beautifully dark setdesign and lenses (probably the best cinematography of his career!) and the broadway songnumbers with heavy churchorgan theme. I'd say definitely up there with Burton's finest. It looks beautiful, it's wonderfully macabre and with some great black humor! (though definitely not for everyone's taste: within the first half several groups of people were leaving, they probably didn't know it was a musical!). If you like your musicals dark and bizarre, then this is a must!
  1. I;m proud to announce that my compatriot is responsible for the cinematography biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2008
    BobdH wrote

SWEENEY TODD
    Just got back, and boy, I'm still completely in its trance! It's such a gruesome, dark, but entrancing tale, made better with the combination of beautifully dark setdesign and lenses (probably the best cinematography of his career!) and the broadway songnumbers with heavy churchorgan theme. I'd say definitely up there with Burton's finest. It looks beautiful, it's wonderfully macabre and with some great black humor! (though definitely not for everyone's taste: within the first half several groups of people were leaving, they probably didn't know it was a musical!). If you like your musicals dark and bizarre, then this is a must!

Excellent! Gonna watch it tomorrow!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2008 edited
    I commented on the music in Rabin's thread, but National Treasure 2 as a movie is trash. slant
  2. In the last few days I have seen...

The Testament of Dr Mabuse (big thumbs up from me)

Last Year at Marienbad dizzy

Klute cool
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote

SWEENEY TODD

Excellent! Gonna watch it tomorrow!

Did you? I watched it last night and I'm still there!I couldn't agree more with Bob!Depp by the way was wonderful!100% inside the role,revenge and desperation mirrored in his eyes!One of the films I'm definately watching again!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Glad you liked it too! When I saw those groups leaving in the theatre, I thought it would be too much of an acquired taste to be succesfull (at least over here in Holland, where people don't know anything about Sondsheims musical or the legend of Sweeney Todd), but luckily it at least gets recognition by the Academy and Golden Globes. D! Tell us what you thought!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    watched SWEENY TODD last night..........

one word: BRILLIANT! punk

And the music is simply awesome!!!!!!
  3. I went to see Cloverfield

And everything you wanted when all this hoopla started churning is what you're getting. Unbelievable the way they did this, the sound is totally mindblowing, the effects really stunning and the basic idea of a handcamera is wonderfully realistic and exciting.

Really wat an experience. Supberb entertainment wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    watched SWEENY TODD last night..........

one word: BRILLIANT! punk

And the music is simply awesome!!!!!!

YEAH MAN, welcome to the fanclub!!! punk beer

Btw, can't wait till my ordered DeLuxe edition of the soundtrack arrives! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    I went to see Cloverfield

And everything you wanted when all this hoopla started churning is what you're getting. Unbelievable the way they did this, the sound is totally mindblowing, the effects really stunning and the basic idea of a handcamera is wonderfully realistic and exciting.

Well, you gotta admit that the awesome DTS soundmix probably wasn't coming from that handheld camera wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    I went to see Cloverfield

Really wat an experience. Supberb entertainment wink

I hope you guys have the chance to see "[REC]" someday, a spanish horror film (the americans are making a remake called "Quarantine") with the same concept of handcamera, stunning sound effects but much more realistic than Cloverfield, which never procuced fear simply because it´s too unbeliavable even if they are pushing the envelope to make it realistic (that girl´s rescue a la Misison Impossible, for example was like oh, ok rolleyes ). [REC] was the closest I´ve seen to a real thing, basically ´cause they deal with real people facing real people....well, almost real people.
    Anyway, Cloverfield is entertaining and technically perfect, but nothing else.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    In the last few days I have seen...

The Testament of Dr Mabuse (big thumbs up from me)

Last Year at Marienbad dizzy

Klute cool

Add to that: There Will Be Blood dizzy dizzy spin kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008
    I just saw There Will Be Blood last night. A cinematic masterpiece.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Really? the trailer seemed damn boring......surprisingly boring i'd say!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I want to see There Will Be Blood after seeing all the clips from it on the BAFTAs last night. It did look pretty good.
  5. THERE WILL BE BLOOD will possibly seem like a lot of things. Whether you like it or hate it, I don't think boring will be one of them. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know, i haven't seen it yet, it's that the trailer looked really yaaaawn. You've seen it yet Michael?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well, Ratatouille came on DVD at the weekend. Still as good as ever. Giacchino's score is absolutly genious. I don't know how he does it, but it's one of the very few scores that works in complete conjunction with the film. It's incredibly memorable yet it doesn't stand out. It's so perfect it's almost as if it's another character. Now I'm starting to sound really cheesey so I'm going to shut up now and just say this was probably the best film of last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008 edited
    I wasn't too crazy about it when i watched it a couple of months back, nor for the score either but overall i can say it's a very good work indeed. Nothing TOOOOO special imo, but very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2008
    Saw THE COOLER on Swedish TV the other day. I enjoyed it for the most part, even though it had a little too many clichéed plot components (the troubled girl who falls in love with the very man she's exploiting, the whole mafia/LAS VEGAS thing, the old-school veterans vs. the young and snotty "men with visions" etc.). It was a little bit of a Scorsese wannabe that simply fell through. However, I liked the "supernatural" element of freakish luck that followed the Macy character - which was at odds with the realism of the fictional universe, but made the tone somewhat ambivalent.

Isham's music was pretty good, but there's something about his jazz sound that simply doesn't click with me. Maybe it's too "smooth", I don't know...but it worked fine in the picture.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2008 edited
    Just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey again with my father... Wow, what a mindjob, but stunning it still is. Revolutionary when it came out, this sci-fi movie is incapable of explanation, you have to experience it yourself. The audio is just as important in this movie as the visual aspect, but the marriage of these two is what stands out in 2001, thanks to the artistic vision of director/writer Stanley Kubrick. The classical music is perfectly glued to everything that the special effects wizards and set designers came up with. Remember this movie is 40 years old, yet the effects still look fantastic. 2001 takes you on a journey that is full of symbolic meaning, yet leaves you hypnotised by the happenings on screen. And I still can't make heads nor tails of the ending, but it ends on a satisfying note nonetheless in the knowledge I saw something extraordinary.

Now I have to watch that other fantastic sci-fi flick that IMO is the equal of 2001. I'm talking about the emotional and deeply intelligent roller coaster ride that is Contact. I can't help but feel amazed everytime I watch it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2008 edited
    Melanie is watching LICENCE TO KILL in the other room, I popped in and heard an ominous piece of music that sounded just like John Barry's Seance On A Wet Afternoon, I'm afraid it's not on the CD. Odd that when Kamen referenced a bit of Barry in this score it's not from the Bond canon!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2008
    Watched Ratatouille on Blu-Ray last night. A wonderful film, and a stunning experience in HD.