• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2008
    I went to the theater last night and saw the independent film Bottle Shock mainly because I received a 15 minute promo CD of the highlights of the Mark Adler score. I'm glad that I saw the film because the music made a lot more sense within the picture than as a separate listening experience. The film, for those who aren't familiar is the story of the famous blind wine tasting test which matched the NAPA wines of California against the French ones. The story was predictable, corny, and sentimental but watchable. The two main themes that Adler created were memorable in my mind, especially the main title which was repeated many times in the film. It was so memorable that I actually hummed it leaving the theater to the puzzled person I went with. She had no recollection of the theme at all! At this point and time there is no plans to release the material as a soundtrack.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    She had no recollection of the theme at all!

Geeze... rolleyes
  1. BhelPuri wrote
    Damn you Franz! You just gave away the answers to my next game (in preparation) slant
    Ah well, back to the drawing board... wink

Sorry Bhel! Sounds like I would have done well at that game too! shame
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Drumline
    Insepid "tough teacher - stubborn pupil" drama set against the backdrop of...a highschool drum band? Tries to play like Rocky, but all it does is succeed in being slightly ridiculous, what with hoards of people trying to make the 19th century drum kit outfit and the sound of British Grenadier snare drums seem "street" and "bad-ass".
    There's some nice percussion cues going, but Powell's score isn't one of his most interesting.

The Other Boleyn Girl
    Historically most questionable account of Anne Boleyn's very short reign as queen. Not badly acted (with Natalie Portman outshining everybody, including a rather sheepish-looking Scarlet Johanssen, who certainly can do better), but dramatically uninvolving as the script apparently takes most of its cues from the ridiculous trumped-up charges thought up by mainly cardinal Wolsey to discredit Anne to be beheaded for treason (paving the way for the king's paramour at that time, Jane Seymour).

I have NO idea what they were trying to achieve with this film.
    While it's interesting to take the ridiculous charges to have some grain of truth to them and back-doctor the story from there, the story is SO completely unbelievable that it simply doesn't work. It's too slick and superficial to be an effective drama or character study. It's too silly to be a political intrigue of some note.

Eric Bana is WAY to handsome for Henry VIII.
    The music is tolerable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Drumline
    Insepid "tough teacher - stubborn pupil" drama set against the backdrop of...a highschool drum band? Tries to play like Rocky, but all it does is succeed in being slightly ridiculous, what with hoards of people trying to make the 19th century drum kit outfit and the sound of British Grenadier snare drums seem "street" and "bad-ass".
    There's some nice percussion cues going, but Powell's score isn't one of his most interesting.

The theme heard in 'The Gridiron' is one of my all time top Powell cues!! punk (The rest of the score doesn't quite live up to that piece of music though.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Drumline

The theme heard in 'The Gridiron' is one of my all time top Powell cues!! punk (The rest of the score doesn't quite live up to that piece of music though.)

Agreed, although I still do enjoy that short promo a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just received some info that Bottle Shock might get a release after all!
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Starship Troopers 2 - Hero of the Federation

If they tried to deliver a comedy, they really succeeded. What an awful film. Actually, I don´t know what is more funny: the movie itself or the shameless rip of Zimmer´s Backdraft.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008 edited
    I especially hated the "aliens disguised as humans" cop-out.
    Not a scratch on the original!

Cashback
    A lovely little British film about art student Ben, driven to insomnia by the break-up with his girl friend (who is seeing another within a week), takes a job at an allnight supermarket, where he spends most of his time trying to stay away from his thickhead manager and his overly prankloving colleagues, watching the lovely check-out girl, and stopping time to catch the beauty in a stolen moment (the latter of course just in his head...or is it?).

Dreamy little film about life's little agonies never gets nasty, mean or too heavy, but touches on enough issues and sore spots to remain involving throughout, helped immesnely by the extreme likeability of the two leads. The script is witty and moves just fast enough to forgive any inconsistencies.

Guy Farley's music isn't very special, but does evoke that dream-like sense of loneliness where you're never quite sure whether it's soothing or stinging.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008 edited
    SUPERHERO MOVIE

For some odd reason, i always enjoy these stupid Scary Movie-type parodies (except for "Epic Movie" which i turned off halfway, biggest pile of crap, it wasn't even funny) when i'm in the mood and this had some good laughs! And for once again i was reminded of how ridiculous the real Spiderman movies are biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, the Spider-Man films are epically stupid. Fun in places, but stupid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Just watched The Mission. Have been saying for years that this film isn't good at all, since my previous viewing, but not sure what was wrong with me that day - it's not great, but it's good enough, and any film which looks and sounds like this one does will always be worth watching. Its score is nothing short of miraculous. Heaven-sent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Its score is nothing short of miraculous. Heaven-sent.

Couldn't agree more; i'll never forget the impact the whole experience (mostly the music 'cause the movie is so-so) had on me on first contact.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It never really worked for me. shame
    It's one of the Morricones I least often return to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    It never really worked for me. shame
    It's one of the Morricones I least often return to.

Okay!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2008 edited
    Starship Troopers 3 - Marauder

Much better than the second one (not very difficult though) and very close (and even further by the end of the movie) in spirit to the first one. Recommended if you liked the first one and you have no problems watching a low budget direct to DVD film. Klaus Badelt´s score is as unmemorable as forgettable and forgotten once the film has ended; the synth sounds older than me!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2008
    Marselus wrote

Much better than the second one (not very difficult though) and very close (and even further by the end of the movie) in spirit to the first one. Recommended if you liked the first one and you have no problems watching a low budget direct to DVD film. Klaus Badelt´s score is as unmemorable as forgettable and forgotten once the film has ended; the synth sounds older than me!

I presume Badelt doesn't use any of Basil's themes? Not that I'd want to hear them performed on a synth anyway! rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

I presume Badelt doesn't use any of Basil's themes? Not that I'd want to hear them performed on a synth anyway! rolleyes

No, he doesn´t. There´s nothing close to a theme btw.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You guys have heard Badelt's rejected score to X-men right? It's freakin' trance music! vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    You guys have heard Badelt's rejected score to X-men right? It's freakin' trance music! vomit

Glad they rejected it then. Not that I like Kamen´s one though, but still better than the rejected, for sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

Now that I didn't know! shocked So no, I haven't heard it.
  2. Anthony wrote

It's a fake. Badelt was an assistant to Kamen on the score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Anthony wrote

It's a fake. Badelt was an assistant to Kamen on the score.

Where is the music from then?? confused
  3. I don't know. I've just heard that the boot is a fake and that Badelt did some percussion work for Kamen.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    EARTH : THE POWER OF THE PLANET

Great series even if I have seen it before ( in fact it's still on now ). Anyone see the Chapel built of salt hundreds of feet below ground in Sicily complete with salty Jesus. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Great series even if I have seen it before ( in fact it's still on now ). Anyone see the Chapel built of salt hundreds of feet below ground in Sicily complete with salty Jesus. wink

I want a rubber ducky.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I want a rubber ducky.

Make do with salty Jesus.

Who do you think is the saltiest person alive now? Clint Eastwood!?

Lee Marvin used to be the king of salt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I take it you knew what I was referring to?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

No?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

No?

Oh! Then the comment must have seemed quite odd indeed! biggrin (It was mentioned in the program.)